Baptisms at the Athletics Complex

RunInRed

4 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Not true GC wanted him as a DB also GC admitted he made a big mistake by not recruiting him as a RB.

Also just to clarify AU has had jewish/morman  players in the 60's and 70's. Most of the Morman players came from Miami/south Fl. back then

Alvin Bressler, Beasley's fellow catcher of  Pat Sullivan's passes was a Jew. Of course, the track is named after a Jew, hall of fame coach Mel Rosen. People of that race/religion aren't a new thing at Auburn.

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, gctiger said:

SIAP.   Many fans may not know it but Auburn was originally established as a Methodist institution so spirituality is kind of engrained in the DNA of our culture to a degree.  Although I don’t mind occasional public displays of spirituality,  it does make me somewhat uncomfortable if it becomes to frequent. because it may appear to not be geniuine.  For the record I’m a practicing Christian.   

Matthew 6: 1-8 ?

49 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Good pic. Am I supposed to be paying attention to something in particular? 

I didn't see anything on his sleeve; not a Cross, or a picture of a Bible or anything. 

On 3/22/2018 at 8:54 PM, RunInRed said:

At the end of the day, I'll proudly go on record and say I think this is wrong; it bothers me, it always has -- not that these kids have immersed themselves in religion - good for them -- but that AU is clearly sponsoring/endorsing/promoting a particular religion within the athletics program.  And worse, they do it under the guise of "voluntary" ... "yeah, but Chette isn't paid by Athletics" ... blah blah.  As if we're stupid.

/rant.

My apologies for the thread, no disrespect meant to any one ... but I feel passionately about this and think it's a worthy discussion. 

I agree with you 100%. Baptisms should not be taking place in the athletic complex. This is not a good look for an athletic program at a public university. 

10 hours ago, MaxP said:

I agree with you 100%. Baptisms should not be taking place in the athletic complex. This is not a good look for an athletic program at a public university. 

Why?

10 hours ago, MaxP said:

I respect your view but it looks like the vast majority of posters in the thread disagree with you and Red.

On 3/22/2018 at 3:53 PM, selias said:

You're right, I think that all religions are preposterous. I don't generally go around ridiculing those who chose to believe in some sort of divine being but, in my head I think it's quite silly and lacking in logic.

I completely agree with you that the idea of an all-knowing, all-powerful God who loves His creation and will forgive its disobedience but will also punish it eternally and will not openly display Himself to His creation without faith on the part of the created IS preposterous (though I know that it is true). I also think that it is preposterous that you and I have consciousness of this interaction while in our current locations on this ridiculously complicated planet ALL BECAUSE OF RANDOM OCCURRENCES. Do you agree with me on that?

The primary disagreement I have with the premise of this topic is that the university/athletic department/football program/coaches are fostering a Christian environment primarily for personal gain. That may be true, but WHAT IF A COACH TRULY BELIEVES THAT BY INTRODUCING HIS/HER PLAYERS TO CHRIST THAT HE/SHE IS HELPING TO SAVE THE PLAYERS' SOULS FOR ETERNITY? If the coach is truly a Christian then he/she is obligated to share his/her faith. Whether you believe that God is real or not, if you look at the actions of the coaches for that standpoint that THEY believe God is real, then you may understand their actions a little better.

How @RunInRed be like when he sees a baptism going on lol

gfr.gif

44 minutes ago, Grumps said:

I completely agree with you that the idea of an all-knowing, all-powerful God who loves His creation and will forgive its disobedience but will also punish it eternally and will not openly display Himself to His creation without faith on the part of the created IS preposterous (though I know that it is true). I also think that it is preposterous that you and I have consciousness of this interaction while in our current locations on this ridiculously complicated planet ALL BECAUSE OF RANDOM OCCURRENCES. Do you agree with me on that?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking me.

14 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Pic from Gus’s office ...

On. The. Sleeve.  

Ok, you lost me there. What am I supposed to be looking for/at?

6 minutes ago, selias said:

I'm not quite sure what you're asking me.

You are alive (due to an AMAZINGLY complicated body) and conscious and capable of thought and living on a planet that has PRECISELY the right balance to sustain your life. I am assuming that if you do not believe that all of these things are happening right now as a result of a divine plan then you believe that they are happening as a random occurrence. Do you think that the idea that your existence and consciousness right now as being due to random occurrences is preposterous?

8 minutes ago, Grumps said:

You are alive (due to an AMAZINGLY complicated body) and conscious and capable of thought and living on a planet that has PRECISELY the right balance to sustain your life. I am assuming that if you do not believe that all of these things are happening right now as a result of a divine plan then you believe that they are happening as a random occurrence. Do you think that the idea that your existence and consciousness right now as being due to random occurrences is preposterous?

I believe I'm here due to evolutionary biology as are the rest of the plants and animals on this rock. I ascribe none of it to any sort of divinity.

14 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Good pic. Am I supposed to be paying attention to something in particular? 

If you turn the picture upside down, you can clearly see the face of Christ in the wrinkles of Gus’ sleeve. Is this a divine occurrence or the result of a sinister plot of the seedy underbelly?

21 hours ago, RunInRed said:

I’m starting a new religion.  We’ll be sacrificing elephants.  Looking for a spot.  Let me hit up AU Athletics and see if they have a room available.  Be back with details soon ...

Heard they’ve offered you JHS, specifically pointing to availability late November 2019 as an available date (you know - other events are booked prior) ...but they’ve discovered an opening in BDS for late November 2018 as an alternate available site.

48 minutes ago, selias said:

I believe I'm here due to evolutionary biology as are the rest of the plants and animals on this rock. I ascribe none of it to any sort of divinity.

I find that the belief that we are here due solely* to evolutionary biology - that all this something came from nothing all on it own by happenstance - to require as much or more faith than belief in God.  

*I tend to believe in evolution as the process by which God chose to create, so I put this qualifier in to note that in believing in a Creator, I am not rejecting evolution, common ancestry, etc.

7 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I find that the belief that we are here due solely* to evolutionary biology - that all this something came from nothing all on it own by happenstance - to require as much or more faith than belief in God.  

*I tend to believe in evolution as the process by which God chose to create, so I put this qualifier in to note that in believing in a Creator, I am not rejecting evolution, common ancestry, etc.

Evolutionary biology is a well-tested and documented scientific theory that has no need for a supreme creator. To me, inserting a divine entity into the process is an attempt to find external validation for human existence.

I’m not sure how my insistence on a bigger wall between AU Athletics and religion has turned into to me being anti-religion.  Talk about missing the point.  Anyways, carry on.

23 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

To me individuals doing a Baptism on campus are exercising Freedom of Speech. If burning the American flag can be considered Freedom of Speech then having a Baptism on Campus is the same thing.  As long as other groups are allowed to use the same facility for their own purpose be it Muslim's setting up their prayer rugs facing Mecca and praying or  atheists being allowed to setup a table and espouse their atheist views there should be no issue.

To me the only time it would be an issue is if somebody in a position of power required somebody to attend.

As a person who believes in a strict interpretation of the Constitution based on the writings of the people who wrote and approved the Constitution. Separation of Church and State was only meant to ensure that there was no national religion that was forced on people.

So hypothetically, you’d be cool with athletes being able to use the practice fields behind the complex to burn American flags, if they so choosed?

On 3/23/2018 at 11:09 AM, lionheartkc said:

Just throwing this out there, since there seems to be a prevailing thought that Auburn is somehow overstepping, here's a short list of college teams that have chaplains (all of whom a secular group tried to have removed by filing a lawsuit)

Auburn University
University of Georgia
University of South Carolina
Mississippi State University
University of Alabama (yes, even Saban has a chaplain... though they were the last to add one in the SEC, according to what I was told)
University of Tennessee
Louisiana State University
University of Missouri
University of Washington
Georgia Tech
University of Illinois
Florida State University
University of Mississippi
University of Wisconsin
Clemson University

Clemson once baptized a player at practice
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/clemson-wr-deandre-hopkins-baptized-at-practice-sets-school-receiving-record-two-days-later/

You don’t justify unacceptable behavior by pointing to other unacceptable behavior.

1 minute ago, RunInRed said:

You don’t justify unacceptable behavior by pointing to other unacceptable behavior.

Having a chaplain is unacceptable behavior? 

18 hours ago, gctiger said:

SIAP.   Many fans may not know it but Auburn was originally established as a Methodist institution so spirituality is kind of engrained in the DNA of our culture to a degree.  Although I don’t mind occasional public displays of spirituality,  it does make me somewhat uncomfortable if it becomes to frequent. because it may appear to not be geniuine.  For the record I’m a practicing Christian.   

EAMC was also founded as a college that didn’t accept women or African Americans.

5 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Having a chaplain is unacceptable behavior? 

Depends, is it a Chaplain available for all religions, groups?  Or just advocating for one?

1 minute ago, RunInRed said:

Depends, is it a Chaplain available for all religions, groups?  Or just advocating for one?

Also, because the atheists don’t have chaplains, they’d be offended.

Archived