Best (and worst) beers you’ve ever had - redux

AUDub

21 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

This is an actual van here in Monroe. Not my pic, but I’ve seen it all around town. 

C7E818E8-54C8-48AB-97FF-8E7A43073608.jpeg

I bet that sauce is good as hell too

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

How was it? Did I miss the review?

You didn’t miss it. I did. I totally stole that pic. It was a brewery only release. Sold out in less than an hour....dammit.

• Like 1

I promise the Cajun meat posts will be less frequent now and eventually die out, but THE EAGLE HAS LANDED. REPEAT: my box from Best Stop arrived. It's real, and it's spectacular. McWifey is super into it, especially after I told her how reasonable the prices are. We each had a crawfish pie for dinner tonight. They come from Lena's and they are very very very good. I think I'll get some smoked boudin out to thaw for Sunday. Oh, the cracklins are frickin awesome, too.

@Tiger Refuge, I am forever in your debt!

• Love 1

33 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I promise the Cajun meat posts will be less frequent now and eventually die out, but THE EAGLE HAS LANDED. REPEAT: my box from Best Stop arrived. It's real, and it's spectacular. McWifey is super into it, especially after I told her how reasonable the prices are. We each had a crawfish pie for dinner tonight. They come from Lena's and they are very very very good. I think I'll get some smoked boudin out to thaw for Sunday. Oh, the cracklins are frickin awesome, too.

@Tiger Refuge, I am forever in your debt!

Dude! I expect MORE meat posts. Meat it up my friend! 

I took a guy to have some crawfish meat pies a couple of weeks ago at the birthplace of Natchitoches meat pies...Lasyone’s. He was from NC. He didn’t want to leave. I’m just doing my part to spread the food love around. If I find food and like it, I’m putting it out there.

(*anxiously waits for boudin review*)

ABE08843-9F75-4C80-A90C-2FB23E934FF1.jpeg

48DDBC91-2957-48A4-A6EC-79E81B349C0B.gif

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Love 1

Sweetwater's 420 strain tastes like I'm literally drinking a bowl. WTF. 

*ahem* Not that I know what a bowl tastes/smells like *ahem*

Edited by AUDub
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Dude! I expect MORE meat posts. Meat it up my friend! 

I took a guy to have some crawfish meat pies a couple of weeks ago at the birthplace of Natchitoches meat pies...Lasyone’s. He was from NC. He didn’t want to leave. I’m just doing my part to spread the food love around. If I find food and like it, I’m putting it out there.

(*anxiously waits for boudin review*)

ABE08843-9F75-4C80-A90C-2FB23E934FF1.jpeg

48DDBC91-2957-48A4-A6EC-79E81B349C0B.gif

MEAT.

IT.

UP.

My new mantra for 2019.

I want to eat all of Lasyones meat pies. I don't mean one of each kind. I mean all of them. Also, I'm woefully ignorant and hadn't heard of "Natchitoches meat pies" but now I have and my life is better. I have GOT to do a foodie tour of that region. And by "that region", I mean all the way from Natchitoches (now that I know about it) to Greenville via Natchez. Is Angola along that route? Might as well hit the rodeo if so. 

This world is a big ol beautiful place. 

44 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

MEAT.

IT.

UP.

My new mantra for 2019.

I want to eat all of Lasyones meat pies. I don't mean one of each kind. I mean all of them. Also, I'm woefully ignorant and hadn't heard of "Natchitoches meat pies" but now I have and my life is better. I have GOT to do a foodie tour of that region. And by "that region", I mean all the way from Natchitoches (now that I know about it) to Greenville via Natchez. Is Angola along that route? Might as well hit the rodeo if so. 

This world is a big ol beautiful place. 

Natchitoches (pronounced locally as "nack-a-dish") is a super cool old city on the edge of Cajun country. Sits firmly between Shreveport and Alexandria on Interstate 49, where the speed limit is 75 in places. Lots of B&Bs there. Home to Northwestern State University(great biology program). The namesake meat pies are freaking divine. Like an oversized empanada, stuffed with well seasoned ground beef, or my favorite, a creamy mixture of sauteed veggies and crawfish. I'm guessing the meat pie roots trace back to a practical purpose(ahem...tamales) as a portable, protein delivery system for field workers. 

A "Meat Triangle" trip....hmmmmm. Natchez....Greenville....Natchitoches....that'd be a hellova trip. Bring extra cloths for the meat sweats. Angola wouldn't be too far south of Natchez. My God....so much food/beverage/history opportunity with a trip like that. If you're gonna go to Greenville, might as well run up to Clarkesdale to the blues museum. Could even stay here.... https://www.shackupinn.com/

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Natchitoches (pronounced locally as "nack-a-dish") is a super cool old city on the edge of Cajun country. Sits firmly between Shreveport and Alexandria on Interstate 49, where the speed limit is 75 in places. Lots of B&Bs there. Home to Northwestern State University(great biology program). The namesake meat pies are freaking divine. Like an oversized empanada, stuffed with well seasoned ground beef, or my favorite, a creamy mixture of sauteed veggies and crawfish. I'm guessing the meat pie roots trace back to a practical purpose(ahem...tamales) as a portable, protein delivery system for field workers. 

A "Meat Triangle" trip....hmmmmm. Natchez....Greenville....Natchitoches....that'd be a hellova trip. Bring extra cloths for the meat sweats. Angola wouldn't be too far south of Natchez. My God....so much food/beverage/history opportunity with a trip like that. If you're gonna go to Greenville, might as well run up to Clarkesdale to the blues museum. Could even stay here.... https://www.shackupinn.com/

Would definitely want to include Clarksdale if we could. Museum during the day, juke joint at night, has to be some sort of unique cuisine going on... 

Clarksdale is definitely a bucket list destination. My travel bucket list is very long. :( At least I've gotten to tick off a few places so far. 

• Like 1

On 3/7/2019 at 7:00 PM, AUDub said:

Sweetwater's 420 strain tastes like I'm literally drinking a bowl. WTF. 

*ahem* Not that I know what a bowl tastes/smells like *ahem*

I was in Oxford, MS a week ago for a show(Spafford—was great, lots of chads) and the pizza spot* we went to had SW G13 on...having had it before I passed for good ol’ standby Laggy IPA. 

Then the venue had New Belgium Hemperor on tap. Opted for another good standby of Dale’s cans. 

Need to stop mixing weed with beer**. It tastes and smells like Heineken. 

*You guys ever go to a place and recognize all the tap handles, ask for a beer list(they don’t have one) and then have the server start rambling off the selection? I simply can’t interject with “yeah I know all of those”.

**I am interested in trying Lagunitas’ THC/CBD-infused seltzer they’re selling in dispensaries in Cali. Not like I wanna get high or something, but you know for experimental purposes and stuff. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Need to stop mixing weed with beer**. It tastes and smells like Heineken.

Yeah it was the G13. Came in a variety pack. 

For the life of me, I can not see the appeal of this “THIS BEER TASTES LIKE GANJ” thing going on. I mean, a nice dank IPA can be a good experience, but there’s a limit, you know?

Edited by AUDub

Let me also frame another situation from tonight. Wiseacre and Perennial collabbed on a NEIPA. Taproom only release. First ever packaged NEIPA from a Memphis brewery. Cool. Place was jam packed. Talking Heads’ Stop Making Sense playing on the projector. Bad ass. 

Then. Then. Thennn they start up karaoke. We promptly left. The Memphis brewery crowd is so lame that they have to create events like trivia and karaoke and whatever dumb bull**** drunk people like to get people out to their spot. 

Anyway, the beer was great. I’ve slammed a few. And I got a kick out of their Hefe release tomorrow being called “Second Banana”. 

Here’s a pic. 

Izyffuh.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Yeah it was the G13. Came in a variety pack. 

For the life of me, I can not see the appeal of this “THIS BEER TASTES LIKE GANJ” thing going on. I mean, a nice dank IPA can be a good experience, but there’s a limit, you know?

It’s trash. I don’t need ******* terpenes in my beer. Only a little bit worse than brut IPAs.

2 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

...Only a little bit worse than brut IPAs.

Quite literally takes the thing that makes IPAs unique and interesting and dumbs it down. Tried SNs, might as well have been drinking their pale. 

1 minute ago, AUDub said:

Quite literally takes the thing that makes IPAs unique and interesting and dumbs it down. Tried SNs, might as well have been drinking their pale. 

I get the idea. Cool, you’re using champagne yeast to create an effervescent IPA. They all taste like meh. The only decent one I’ve had is from a local brewery, Meddlesome—and they don’t package their beer. 

I’ve told my reps that I don’t want any brut IPAs. I don’t care if SN is a great seller for our store, I’m not going to let a case of IPA sit...and sit...and sit. Like New Belgium’s Brut IPA has done. 

Just now, ShocksMyBrain said:

I get the idea. Cool, you’re using champagne yeast to create an effervescent IPA. They all taste like meh. The only decent one I’ve had is from a local brewery, Meddlesome—and they don’t package their beer. 

I’ve told my reps that I don’t want any brut IPAs. I don’t care if SN is a great seller for our store, I’m not going to let a case of IPA sit...and sit...and sit. Like New Belgium’s Brut IPA has done. 

Agreed.

SN missed badly. Hops barely there, no malt to back them up and way drier than I prefer in the style. I finished the pack after a while, but almost exclusively for catching a buzz. Just got nothing out of it. 

1 minute ago, AUDub said:

Agreed.

SN missed badly. Hops barely there, no malt to back them up and way drier than I prefer in the style. I finished the pack after a while, but almost exclusively for catching a buzz. Just got nothing out of it. 

SN didn’t miss I don’t think; I just think they’re trying to ride a wave and pushed it out into the market as fast as possible to see what sticks. Like what they did with Hazy Little Thing...that s*** just sits and sits and sits. Didn’t perfect a recipe and just threw it out in the market because of the “haze craze”  

But then you have Hop Bullet, started out as a random seasonal last year. Sales went bonkers because it’s a badass DIPA at 8% for $10, so now it’s year-round. 

1 minute ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

SN didn’t miss I don’t think; I just think they’re trying to ride a wave and pushed it out into the market as fast as possible to see what sticks. Like what they did with Hazy Little Thing...that s*** just sits and sits and sits. Didn’t perfect a recipe and just threw it out in the market because of the “haze craze”  

But then you have Hop Bullet, started out as a random seasonal last year. Sales went bonkers because it’s a badass DIPA at 8% for $10, so now it’s year-round. 

I don’t necessarily disapprove of their model. It works sometimes. Hop Bullet is a freaking reg in my fridge now. Pretty much displaced Torpedo. Speaking of which, Torpedo was another one that I think they nailed using that same model. 

Agree completely on Hazy Little Thing. But speaking of those “mass market” NEIPAs, I still snap up that NB Juicy Haze Voodoo Ranger from time to time.