Best (and worst) beers you’ve ever had - redux

AUDub

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

YYYYYYYUP.

And Sierra Nevada is an example of a grown ass brewery that makes beer as well as any in the country and does it without gimmicks. Sure, they'll get a little funky every now and then, but there's no, "Duuuude, what if we put <one of the few remaining desserts nobody's tried> in it!!!"

I’ve never been to their tap room(s) unfortunately, but I’d venture a guess that they do have a pilot system to test out some pretty off the wall stuff. The Trip in the Woods series is probably an example of stuff they make and get good feedback on before they put it out into distribution. 

Odell Brewing does this. It was so awesome going to their brewery twice a week and seeing something crazy from their pilot system and enjoying it, then they’d release it X months later. Tomatillo sour is an example. They got good feedback from the tap room, and then dialed in a recipe for distribution. 

This is kind of irrelevant, but an example of Sierra Nevada’s well-played business practices. They released Hop Bullet DIPA as a Spring seasonal last year and it went to year-round by Fall. And that is a damn fine 8% DIPA for $10 a 6pk. 

So they saw that they had a solid IPA with good sales numbers and just decided to roll it out. 

3 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

This is kind of irrelevant, but an example of Sierra Nevada’s well-played business practices. They released Hop Bullet DIPA as a Spring seasonal last year and it went to year-round by Fall. And that is a damn fine 8% DIPA for $10 a 6pk. 

So they saw that they had a solid IPA with good sales numbers and just decided to roll it out. 

Yeah man, they sold that in 12 packs for like $17 iirc. And I agree with damn fine.

• Like 1

Damn damn fine DIPA from my local Flying Tiger(right after my simple beer comment). 

Couldnt agree more more about the stout comments. I have enjoyed the HELL about of Bell’s Expedition Stout this year. Freaking fantastic beer.

6D7ACCB0-1300-4962-8545-E4496F09B4FD.jpeg

• Like 1

On 2/10/2019 at 12:55 AM, Tiger Refuge said:

Damn damn fine DIPA from my local Flying Tiger(right after my simple beer comment). 

Couldnt agree more more about the stout comments. I have enjoyed the HELL about of Bell’s Expedition Stout this year. Freaking fantastic beer.

I like the logo/abv setup on the can! 

• Like 1

On 2/9/2019 at 11:55 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

Barrel Aged Expedition Stout is one of the best BBA stouts I’ve ever had. It’s a shelf turd right now at $27.99 a 4pk. If you wanna do a trade...hit me up. It’s better than Black Note. 

4 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Barrel Aged Expedition Stout is one of the best BBA stouts I’ve ever had. It’s a shelf turd right now at $27.99 a 4pk. If you wanna do a trade...hit me up. It’s better than Black Note. 

I’d love to man! Let me see what I can grab here. Any requests?

4 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I agree with this 100%. Crazy that it's a turd up there!

5 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I got the cure for those Parish blues. Imma wait for a new release that’s hitting here in the next couple weeks.

Sounds good. I’m headed to Southern Grist/Nashville in about a month, so if you can wait I can send you some goodies from there. I can secure the BBA Expedition in the meantime. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Sounds good. I’m headed to Southern Grist/Nashville in about a month, so if you can wait I can send you some goodies from there. I can secure the BBA Expedition in the meantime. 

Sounds perfect. No rush at all.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Also, @McLoofus, Monday Night Brewing landed in Memphis this week with Slap Fight, Blind Pirate, All Y’all, and Dr. Robot. 

Interesting. 3 IPA/APAs and a sour. Surprised Drafty Kilt (Scotch ale) isn't in that list. Haven't had All Y'all or Dr. Robot but they tend to do a good job with their beers.  They're smart business guys and their portfolio has grown leaps and bounds over the last couple years after being fairly ho-hum for a long time. 

Yeah. Lucky Charms beer. DGAF. 

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Is everyone else’s Facebook feed blowing up about this Lucky Charms beer? It’s not that big of a deal...

Yes. Can looks cool, that about where my interest stops. 

Bayou Teche is brewing a beer with boudin in it....hmmmm.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Interesting. 3 IPA/APAs and a sour. Surprised Drafty Kilt (Scotch ale) isn't in that list. Haven't had All Y'all or Dr. Robot but they tend to do a good job with their beers.  They're smart business guys and their portfolio has grown leaps and bounds over the last couple years after being fairly ho-hum for a long time. 

Yeah. Lucky Charms beer. DGAF. 

Other than Wicked Weed, who brought the whole damn house because of InBev, most “small” breweries launch with just a few SKUs. Memphis is IPA heavy though anyway, it’s what the people want. 

And I’d try the Lucky Charms, but I’m not losing my mind over it. 

1 hour ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Yes. Can looks cool, that about where my interest stops. 

Bayou Teche is brewing a beer with boudin in it....hmmmm.

Boudin in a beer. That could potentially be somewhat tasty or absolutely terrible. Do you know what style? 

29 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Boudin in a beer. That could potentially be somewhat tasty or absolutely terrible. Do you know what style? 

Breakfast stout brewed with coffee, cane syrup, and boudin. I am intrigued...

B085F2DD-8ED9-4507-AB39-01FD71FDD05C.png