Best (and worst) beers you’ve ever had - redux

AUDub

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Y'all remind me to keep a tab on this thread open Saturday night. 

Maybe we should test a group drinking game...

I’ll be cutting it close on tip-off. Both Sadie and Jillian are playing in the Hoover Havoc soccer tournament this weekend, with both having kickoffs at 3:30 at different locations. Mrs. Dub and I will have to split up, but I’ll be going to Sadie’s, which means 11v11, (they’re playing in a bracket with teams older than them, as 07s teams usually play 9v9) with 30 minute halves. I should just make it home just after tip-off.

Speaking of bragging in my kids, Sadie’s team is badass and now number 3 in the state of Alabama and in the top 200 nationally among 07s. We played the number 1 state team and top 100 among 07s nationally, Vestavia 07 Black, last night, and battled them to a draw. For comparison, we played the Vestavia 06 team, the team one year older, and destroyed them so badly they didn’t even get a shot on frame, and Sadie nearly scored when we finally yanked her and stuck her up front to giver her something to do lol.

Sadie was bad ass, saving 8. I hate playing them. They know how to dive, and actually got 3 free kicks within 25 yards as a result. Sadie pushed the two they got on frame outside the post at full extension, in addition to catching several crosses clean that would have fallen to Vestavia players for easy goals, had she spilled them, nearly all with nasty spin.

She’s so badass. Ten times the keeper I was at that age, and I’m a dude.

Edited by AUDub
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

And welp. This is probably a bad decision. But wife’s in bed and I’m off tomorrow so **** it. 

uslurY2.jpg

That beer is so f***ing good. 

10 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

And welp. This is probably a bad decision. But wife’s in bed and I’m off tomorrow so **** it. 

uslurY2.jpg

Dude......

Edited by Tiger Refuge

COME, HOOS! SHOW ME WHAT PASSES FOR FURY AMONG YOUR MISBEGOTTEN KIND!

On 4/4/2019 at 8:58 PM, AUDub said:

I’ll be cutting it close on tip-off. Both Sadie and Jillian are playing in the Hoover Havoc soccer tournament this weekend, with both having kickoffs at 3:30 at different locations. Mrs. Dub and I will have to split up, but I’ll be going to Sadie’s, which means 11v11, (they’re playing in a bracket with teams older than them, as 07s teams usually play 9v9) with 30 minute halves. I should just make it home just after tip-off.

Speaking of bragging in my kids, Sadie’s team is badass and now number 3 in the state of Alabama and in the top 200 nationally among 07s. We played the number 1 state team and top 100 among 07s nationally, Vestavia 07 Black, last night, and battled them to a draw. For comparison, we played the Vestavia 06 team, the team one year older, and destroyed them so badly they didn’t even get a shot on frame, and Sadie nearly scored when we finally yanked her and stuck her up front to giver her something to do lol.

Sadie was bad ass, saving 8. I hate playing them. They know how to dive, and actually got 3 free kicks within 25 yards as a result. Sadie pushed the two they got on frame outside the post at full extension, in addition to catching several crosses clean that would have fallen to Vestavia players for easy goals, had she spilled them, nearly all with nasty spin.

She’s so badass. Ten times the keeper I was at that age, and I’m a dude.

Jeez, soccer.

Sadie learned a hard lesson on PKs today. We played up in an 11v11 06 bracket (she and her team are 07s). Romped through every game. She didn't allow a single goal all tournament. Won this morning in the semis 2-0. Then the final.  We got an 06 Briarwood team we outclassed badly. 9 shots on goal to their 1. But we were gassed  They played for PKs in the last 20 minutes, where we lost. They played for the coin flip and we ended up losing as two of our shooters missed the mark 4-3. Sadie guessed right on three of their kicks. Hit two, both ended up in the side netting. Poor girl. 

She learned why us keepers hate PKs. She's the best 07 keeper in the state of Alabama, but there's a lot of luck when it comes to PKs. 

13 hours ago, AUDub said:

Jeez, soccer.

Sadie learned a hard lesson on PKs today. We played up in an 11v11 06 bracket (she and her team are 07s). Romped through every game. She didn't allow a single goal all tournament. Won this morning in the semis 2-0. Then the final.  We got an 06 Briarwood team we outclassed badly. 9 shots on goal to their 1. But we were gassed  They played for PKs in the last 20 minutes, where we lost. They played for the coin flip and we ended up losing as two of our shooters missed the mark 4-3. Sadie guessed right on three of their kicks. Hit two, both ended up in the side netting. Poor girl. 

She learned why us keepers hate PKs. She's the best 07 keeper in the state of Alabama, but there's a lot of luck when it comes to PKs. 

Ouch. Rough weekend for sports.

McLittle had her first soccer game Friday night. The light did not really come on. But she seemed to have fun. I didn't and don't have her pegged as a natural soccer player so it's okay. She's a brain and a dancer and maybe a swimmer. And she's gonna be tall, so she might find a spot in basketball and/or volleyball. 

McWifey made tequila sunrises yesterday with that mezcal, and then added a champagne floater. Probably going to be our cocktail for the summer. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Ouch. Rough weekend for sports.

McLittle had her first soccer game Friday night. The light did not really come on. But she seemed to have fun. I didn't and don't have her pegged as a natural soccer player so it's okay. She's a brain and a dancer and maybe a swimmer. And she's gonna be tall, so she might find a spot in basketball and/or volleyball. 

McWifey made tequila sunrises yesterday with that mezcal, and then added a champagne floater. Probably going to be our cocktail for the summer. 

On the plus side, Jillian was playing the same tournament three age brackets down from Sadie. Went 2-1, so they didn’t make the final, but they somehow thrashed BUSA in the group. Her previously unranked team is now ranked in sinc’s USA Rank as the number 3 team in Alabama and number 198 nationally. That cheered her up this morning.

She’s pretty much settled into playing wing. Was hoping she’d want to be a keeper like her sister. 

Lot of running on the wing in 7v7, and she played 45 minutes out of 50 yesterday as her team took the lead early. Red face!

wQvCILV.jpg

• Like 3

I pulled up her stats in comparison to other keepers from state league play to illustrate to her how good she is. We’ve played 6 games and are currently tied atop the standings with Vestavia, the number 1 team in the state and a top 60 program nationally.

Vestavia’s, who has given up 5. Then Briarwood’s, who has given up 9. The rest have all allowed 15+. She’s given up 3 goals in league play, all to Vestavia, the most dangerous offense in the state. We came out of those games with a narrow 2-1 loss and a 1-1 draw. That’s an accomplishment in and of itself as Vestavia doesn’t generally beat people so much as they run them off the field.

Her team is 3rd in the state and top 150 nationally among 07s. She’s better than either keeper from the teams ahead of us. Kind of odd for the odds-on favorite for the best 07 keeper in state to have confidence issues, but losses like yesterday do tend to shake you.

3 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

C7B65DEF-0EA1-43AE-83D4-E06D015695FA.jpeg

Jeez, Theresa May memes are everywhere. 

41 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

C7B65DEF-0EA1-43AE-83D4-E06D015695FA.jpeg

I’m on my 2nd 12 pack of this(less than $10, whatcanyado). 

And every time I open one all I can sing is “Naturdays” sung to the key of 

• Haha 1

Crosstown(Memphis) Traffic IPA. A lot hazier than I remember, so I texted the head brewer if they tweaked the recipe. Definitely doesn’t have the mouthfeel of a NEIPA, but it sure does look like one. 

PPhuCIQ.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/8/2019 at 8:29 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

I’ve never tried to buy like this before.

Boudin & cracklin'? If it doesn't work out, I know a place...

• Love 1

3 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Crosstown(Memphis) Traffic IPA. A lot hazier than I remember, so I texted the head brewer if they tweaked the recipe. Definitely doesn’t have the mouthfeel of a NEIPA, but it sure does look like one. 

PPhuCIQ.jpg

Answer received: “likely the end of that particular batch of Traffic, how was it?”

Me: “Amazing”(no bs). 

There we go. Back from my short banhammer vacation. One well deserved. Popped my ban cherry, as it were lol. Think I get some credit for basically walking up to officer @TitanTiger and saying "I've committed a crime, officer! Arrest me!"

Jeez, we have some class A idiots in the politics board.

Edited by AUDub
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, AUDub said:

There we go. Back from my short banhammer vacation. One well deserved. Popped my ban cherry, as it were lol. Think I get some credit for basically walking up to officer @TitanTiger and saying "I've committed a crime, officer! Arrest me!"

Jeez, we have some class A idiots in the politics board.

I don't see how y'all do it. I played that game for awhile but- and apologies, as I'm sure I've stolen the Hedberg bit before- arguing with those people is like playing tennis against a wall. (With all respect to our late friend Mitch, I find their comparable IQs to be just as critical to the joke as their respective levels of relentlessness.) I basically tapped out. Never managed to get anywhere arguing with that cadre of semi-sentient diaper pails. I somewhat know what Jodie Foster felt like walking down that prison hallway to meet Hannibal Lecter. 

Had my regular Thursday liquid lunch at Pinkie Master's yesterday. A High Life pony, an Old Fashioned and a handshake (Fernet Branca) with my bartender. I enjoy that time so much. But mainly wanted to focus on the High Life pony. Something about that beer in that little bottle... just pure, refreshing, simple joy. High Life in the bottle is the only macro pisswater I enjoy, and I do enjoy it quite a bit. And the pony can be very tactical. Order your cute little bottle of beer and your fancy cocktail at the same time. Drink beer while waiting for cocktail. (Pinkie's has pre-mixed Old Fashioneds, but Jules makes mine by hand.) I've since learned that Kimball House in Atlanta (Decatur, technically- owned by the Brick Store folks- a must-try while in ATL) offers "cocktail beers", which are exactly what I just described- short pours to refresh you while you wait for one of those waxed-mustache-and-suspenders types* to spend 20 minutes on your drink. 

*They actually have one of the most hospitable staffs in the city and it is a true joy to sit at that bar. Go hungry and splurge. 

Edited by McLoofus
  • Love 1

Bearded Iris Homestyle IPA- Damn fine beer. Citrus af on the nose. Simple, but deliciously so. I love this beer.

Stone Drink before 4/20 DIPA. Holy sh@t. This thing is awesome. Tropical fruit on the nose. Candies fruit/tropical taste. Dank. Nice clean bitter hop finish.  A little bit of booze at 9%. Holy schnikeys. 

Beer swaps rule.

A0E1CF8A-B499-442C-9A16-D1A260698E48.jpeg

5B37B4BF-12FC-4A23-B223-E37B96795230.jpeg

• Love 1