Stidham interview at Manning Camp

toddc

On 6/22/2018 at 5:07 PM, toddc said:

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2018/06/stidham_manning_camp_qa.html#incart_river_mobile_index

This is a good interview about summer workouts and some of the new guys on offense, mentioned Worm in here and his speed! Couldn’t get text on here so maybe someone can add that.

Sorry for any delay.

This what you were looking for?

Before the action picked up at the Manning Passing Academy on Friday, Jarrett Stidham and the other college quarterbacks in attendance spent some time with the media.

Auburn's redshirt junior quarterback talked about a wide range of things, including his health, the Tigers' summer workouts and his expectation that he'll have more freedom at the line of scrimmage this season.

Here's a rundown of some of what discussed:

What are some of the things you're trying to improve on heading into the year?

"As far as individual techniques for me, just pocket awareness, better movements in the pocket. ... I'm really trying to focus on that. Footwork. Just trying to hone in on that kind of stuff."

You'll have more freedom to make checks and all at the line of scrimmage this year, right?

"Now that I've gotten my feet wet a little bit in the system, I think Coach is going to give me a little more freedom at the line of scrimmage and that sort of thing to make some checks when I want and do that sort of thing."

What are your early impressions of Jake Browning and Washington?

"Watched him on film a little. Obviously Washington's a great football team. And Jake, I got to meet him yesterday. He's a great guy. It's going to be even more fun now that I know the opposing quarterback."...

How's the shoulder?

"I feel great. Shoulder's good finally, and it's been a good summer so far. Just continuing to get momentum as we go forward into the rest of the summer."

No limitations at this point, right?

"No. Now I'm good to go."

How are summer workouts going?

"There have been a lot of guys that have been doing really well. There's been some guys that just came in that are doing really well. Obviously the guys that have played a lot, they've been doing really well. For whatever reason, this summer, to me, it feels a lot different than last summer. Just from a mindset standpoint, everybody's really locked in and trying to do everything they can to help the team out and to make sure we're the best that we can be."

What kind of feedback did you get from NFL people as you were going through the process of deciding whether to turn pro or come back to school?

"There was some feedback, but ultimately I decided to come back and try to finish what I started. I came to Auburn to win it all. And I definitely think we have the talent to do it. We were really close last year. We were really close to getting to the College Football Playoff. That's our goal this year, to get to where we want to get to. And I think we have the talent. We've just got to execute and finish a little better."...

What were the conversations like with Coach Malzahn and Coach Lindsey coming out of last year? What kind of stuff did they want you to focus on heading into this season? And what were some of the things that were important to you that you verbalized to them?

"For me, just personally, just working on fundamentals because you can never be too good at fundamentals. So obviously footwork, pocket presence, those kinds of things are what Coach Lindsey and I have talked a lot about, just making sure I'm really focused on those, especially not being able to play in the spring. To the side, I was really working on one, two, three and hitching up in the pocket or just little movements here and there. Really trying to focus on that. And then, obviously the thing we've talked about, that has been talked about a lot is having more freedom at the line and that kind of thing. Now that I understand what we're doing on offense, I know how they're thinking, having the ability to check plays on my own and to get us into certain things against certain coverages or whatever it may be, we've talked a lot about that. And I think you'll see this year that kind of progress for myself."

Who are some of the NFL quarterbacks you watch? And whom do you think you most play like?..."I'm a big Tom Brady fan. I don't necessarily think I play a lot like him. I think I'm more of a ... shoot, I don't know, maybe like a Derek Carr kind of guy. Not as mobile as some guys but not immobile as much as a Tom Brady or somebody like that. But, honestly, I love watching Jimmy Garoppolo. I really love how he plays the game. He obviously learned a lot from Tom Brady. I really love watching him and how he plays."

As a former transfer, what advice would you give LSU's new quarterback, Joe Burrow?

"I don't how it was up north, but people down south love their football. That's No. 1. No. 2, the SEC, it's a lot of fun. It's a grind. Every single week, you've got to be on your game. There's no cupcake teams in our league. You're going to get somebody's best every single week, so you've got to be physically and mentally prepared for those types of games and situations."

Do you still research Tom Brady a lot and try to find different things he does that you can incorporate into what you do?

"Yeah. I've read his book. I'm always trying to find something, whether it's nutrition or stretching or just little things outside of actually throwing. The biggest thing that I've worked on now that I'm healthy is nutrition, and I've been trying to really get more (flexible) in the hips and really kind of loosen everything up in that area. And I've been really focused on my nutrition and my eating habits because it goes a long way."...

What do you think so far of your new offensive lineman, Jack Driscoll?

"First of all, he's a great person. And I am extremely happy that he came to Auburn because, like I said, he's a great person but he's a freak of an athlete when it comes to a guy that's 6-5, 300 pounds. He's just freaky athletic and I think he can really help us this year. Obviously we need to get into fall camp and see how he plays and stuff like that. But so far, from what I've seen, I've been really happy that he's here."

Who are some of the young offensive guys that have been particularly impressive this summer?

"As far as guys that just came in, Matthew Hill, I think he's going to be a really good football player for us. Harold Joiner, I think he's going to be good. Shaun Shivers, he's not very big, but he can fly. Offensively, out of the new guys, those guys come to mind. But we've got a lot of guys that are going to be able to step up and make some plays this year." '

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2018/06/stidham_manning_camp_qa.html

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, keesler said:

True at the QB position, I'm hoping the oline steps up big and strong in pre-season camp and earn's CGM's trust.

Im hoping that giving stidham more freedom to check out of bad defenseive looks will alleviate some of the sacks we saw last year. 

9 hours ago, meh130 said:

Coaching towards an outcome of consistency is the key. This is something Belichick and Saban has been able to figure out.

Talent matters. Physical conditioning is a big part. But the mental/psychological aspect is probably bigger.

Go back and look at Saban's history at Bama:

2007; 6 losses; 3, 7, 7, 3, 5, 7, and 7 points
2008; 2 losses; 11, and 14 points
2009; 0 losses
2010; 3 losses; 14, 3, and 1 point
2011; 1 loss; 3 points
2012; 1 loss; 5 points
2013; 2 losses; 6, and 14 points
2014; 2 losses; 6, and 7 points
2015; 1 loss; 6 points
2016; 1 loss; 3 points
2017; 1 loss; 12 points

Only 5 two score losses in 11 seasons. They rarely lose, are in every game, and are almost never "blown out".

They are almost always ready, and almost always competitive.

In those 11 seasons they have had 6 season openers against ranked opponents. All wins.

The 2017 Iron Bowl 12-point loss was Saban's 4th worse loss at Bama.

Ridiculous

2 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Sorry for any delay.

This what you were looking for?

Before the action picked up at the Manning Passing Academy on Friday, Jarrett Stidham and the other college quarterbacks in attendance spent some time with the media.

Auburn's redshirt junior quarterback talked about a wide range of things, including his health, the Tigers' summer workouts and his expectation that he'll have more freedom at the line of scrimmage this season.

Here's a rundown of some of what discussed:

What are some of the things you're trying to improve on heading into the year?

"As far as individual techniques for me, just pocket awareness, better movements in the pocket. ... I'm really trying to focus on that. Footwork. Just trying to hone in on that kind of stuff."

You'll have more freedom to make checks and all at the line of scrimmage this year, right?

"Now that I've gotten my feet wet a little bit in the system, I think Coach is going to give me a little more freedom at the line of scrimmage and that sort of thing to make some checks when I want and do that sort of thing."

What are your early impressions of Jake Browning and Washington?

"Watched him on film a little. Obviously Washington's a great football team. And Jake, I got to meet him yesterday. He's a great guy. It's going to be even more fun now that I know the opposing quarterback."...

How's the shoulder?

"I feel great. Shoulder's good finally, and it's been a good summer so far. Just continuing to get momentum as we go forward into the rest of the summer."

No limitations at this point, right?

"No. Now I'm good to go."

How are summer workouts going?

"There have been a lot of guys that have been doing really well. There's been some guys that just came in that are doing really well. Obviously the guys that have played a lot, they've been doing really well. For whatever reason, this summer, to me, it feels a lot different than last summer. Just from a mindset standpoint, everybody's really locked in and trying to do everything they can to help the team out and to make sure we're the best that we can be."

What kind of feedback did you get from NFL people as you were going through the process of deciding whether to turn pro or come back to school?

"There was some feedback, but ultimately I decided to come back and try to finish what I started. I came to Auburn to win it all. And I definitely think we have the talent to do it. We were really close last year. We were really close to getting to the College Football Playoff. That's our goal this year, to get to where we want to get to. And I think we have the talent. We've just got to execute and finish a little better."...

What were the conversations like with Coach Malzahn and Coach Lindsey coming out of last year? What kind of stuff did they want you to focus on heading into this season? And what were some of the things that were important to you that you verbalized to them?

"For me, just personally, just working on fundamentals because you can never be too good at fundamentals. So obviously footwork, pocket presence, those kinds of things are what Coach Lindsey and I have talked a lot about, just making sure I'm really focused on those, especially not being able to play in the spring. To the side, I was really working on one, two, three and hitching up in the pocket or just little movements here and there. Really trying to focus on that. And then, obviously the thing we've talked about, that has been talked about a lot is having more freedom at the line and that kind of thing. Now that I understand what we're doing on offense, I know how they're thinking, having the ability to check plays on my own and to get us into certain things against certain coverages or whatever it may be, we've talked a lot about that. And I think you'll see this year that kind of progress for myself."

Who are some of the NFL quarterbacks you watch? And whom do you think you most play like?..."I'm a big Tom Brady fan. I don't necessarily think I play a lot like him. I think I'm more of a ... shoot, I don't know, maybe like a Derek Carr kind of guy. Not as mobile as some guys but not immobile as much as a Tom Brady or somebody like that. But, honestly, I love watching Jimmy Garoppolo. I really love how he plays the game. He obviously learned a lot from Tom Brady. I really love watching him and how he plays."

As a former transfer, what advice would you give LSU's new quarterback, Joe Burrow?

"I don't how it was up north, but people down south love their football. That's No. 1. No. 2, the SEC, it's a lot of fun. It's a grind. Every single week, you've got to be on your game. There's no cupcake teams in our league. You're going to get somebody's best every single week, so you've got to be physically and mentally prepared for those types of games and situations."

Do you still research Tom Brady a lot and try to find different things he does that you can incorporate into what you do?

"Yeah. I've read his book. I'm always trying to find something, whether it's nutrition or stretching or just little things outside of actually throwing. The biggest thing that I've worked on now that I'm healthy is nutrition, and I've been trying to really get more (flexible) in the hips and really kind of loosen everything up in that area. And I've been really focused on my nutrition and my eating habits because it goes a long way."...

What do you think so far of your new offensive lineman, Jack Driscoll?

"First of all, he's a great person. And I am extremely happy that he came to Auburn because, like I said, he's a great person but he's a freak of an athlete when it comes to a guy that's 6-5, 300 pounds. He's just freaky athletic and I think he can really help us this year. Obviously we need to get into fall camp and see how he plays and stuff like that. But so far, from what I've seen, I've been really happy that he's here."

Who are some of the young offensive guys that have been particularly impressive this summer?

"As far as guys that just came in, Matthew Hill, I think he's going to be a really good football player for us. Harold Joiner, I think he's going to be good. Shaun Shivers, he's not very big, but he can fly. Offensively, out of the new guys, those guys come to mind. But we've got a lot of guys that are going to be able to step up and make some plays this year." '

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2018/06/stidham_manning_camp_qa.html

Better movement in the pocket and fundamentals...Glad he is stressing that. About got my head ripped off when I critiqued him about this.

15 minutes ago, DAG said:

Better movement in the pocket and fundamentals...Glad he is stressing that. About got my head ripped off when I critiqued him about this.

What was worse was when I said SW had better pocket presence

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Still makes me so mad that Sean chose not to prove them wrong.

48 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Haha SW was a wizard in the pocket. A lot of people thought I was against SW. Not at all. I was against the people treating a 4 star caliber QB like he was some Disney movie fairy tale story. The kid could play. He was an UA all American. I wish he would’ve made better decisions , but I tell you what...the coaches severely screwed him with some of their play calls. SW would’ve been the perfect compliment to pushing JS to be better than what he was last year.

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

Haha SW was a wizard in the pocket. A lot of people thought I was against SW. Not at all. I was against the people treating a 4 star caliber QB like he was some Disney movie fairy tale story. The kid could play. He was an UA all American. I wish he would’ve made better decisions , but I tell you what...the coaches severely screwed him with some of their play calls. SW would’ve been the perfect compliment to pushing JS to be better than what he was last year.

I feel like if SW had Stidhams measurables, SW would’ve been insane. Not only did he have a great feel for the pocket, but he had an edge to him. For he longest time though, it seemed like his only throw was a fast ball lol.

22 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

I feel like if SW had Stidhams measurables, SW would’ve been insane. Not only did he have a great feel for the pocket, but he had an edge to him. For he longest time though, it seemed like his only throw was a fast ball lol.

Yep it’s weird how things work out that way. SW had the fundamentals , but JS definitely has the measurable and pure arm talent.  And guess what? If you have the measurables, some NFL team will always reach at the QB position.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yep it’s weird how things work out that way. SW had the fundamentals , but JS definitely has the measurable and pure arm talent.  And guess what? If you have the measurables, some NFL team will always reach at the QB position.

I will say though, I love how effortlessly Stidham throws the deep ball. 

34 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

It would have just taken that much more for him to catch a buzz.

Sean had a mountain of things stacked against him- we can start with Gus's post-JJ clown show, continue through Duke Williams, make a stop at Gus handing over play calling to his offensive coordinator midseason, wave at all the RBs who were sidelined for one reason or another, then wrap up the tour with his own injury- and he still managed to create his own biggest obstacle. Unreal. Only at Auburn.

Hope he's doing okay.  

19 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

I will say though, I love how effortlessly Stidham throws the deep ball. 

I'd love to see him on a little touch pass to the TE down the seam in between the LBs and safeties

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'd love to see him on a little touch pass to the TE down the seam in between the LBs and safeties

IMG_0679.GIF

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I agree! It would be nice if Auburn had their own 3rd and Witten. 

2 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

I agree! It would be nice if Auburn had their own 3rd and Witten. 

Greg Olsen lol sorry big panthers fan.

11 hours ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

I felt like if SW had JJ's size and arm, or if JJ had SW's toughness and pocket presence we'd have had one heck of a QB on our hands. 

Not to heap to much on the guy, and I stay in wait and see mode with QBs, but I think that Nix could be this "some of this guy combined with some of that guy combined with some of the other" that we're talking about. Probably more put together on the field than one, probably more put together off the field and slightly bigger and stronger than another, maybe more pocket presence and edge than the third. He might not score a 10 on any particular competency- like Stidham does on the deep balls, for example- but he's going to score pretty high on all of them. I hope.

10 hours ago, DAG said:

Greg Olsen lol sorry big panthers fan.

I like Olsen too. Witten was just old as hell but still found ways to burn the NFC East on 3rd and longs. Mr Dependable for sure.

16 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

For me, a humbling lesson on the importance of perspective. Going to bed last night, I didn't imagine anyone interpreting Mr. Stidham's comments as a shot at anybody. This morning, however

"...Auburn QB takes shot at Ohio State and northern football fans

In a recent interview with AL.com, Auburn quarterback Jarrett Stidham was asked if he had advice for former Ohio State quarterback Joe Burrow, who transferred to LSU last month. Stidham, like Burrow, transferred to a big-name SEC West program. He wound up at Auburn after starting his career at Baylor. In his answer about advice for Burrow, though, Stidham appeared to take a shot at Ohio State — and half of the country. “I don’t how it was up north, but people down south love their football,” Stidham said.

Yeah, it’s safe to say Burrow has been around a fan base that loves football before."

https://www.landof10.com/ohio-state/ohio-state-football-jarrett-stidham-joe-burrow-kyle-snyder-kelsey-mitchell

30 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

For me, a humbling lesson on the importance of perspective. Going to bed last night, I didn't imagine anyone interpreting Mr. Stidham's comments as a shot at anybody. This morning, however

"...Auburn QB takes shot at Ohio State and northern football fans

In a recent interview with AL.com, Auburn quarterback Jarrett Stidham was asked if he had advice for former Ohio State quarterback Joe Burrow, who transferred to LSU last month. Stidham, like Burrow, transferred to a big-name SEC West program. He wound up at Auburn after starting his career at Baylor. In his answer about advice for Burrow, though, Stidham appeared to take a shot at Ohio State — and half of the country. “I don’t how it was up north, but people down south love their football,” Stidham said.

Yeah, it’s safe to say Burrow has been around a fan base that loves football before."

https://www.landof10.com/ohio-state/ohio-state-football-jarrett-stidham-joe-burrow-kyle-snyder-kelsey-mitchell

Sigh. Less a reflection on the author than his readers, I'm afraid. 

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Sigh. Less a reflection on the author than his readers, I'm afraid. 

One might suspect the perspective of the latter at least provided motivation for the author to search and cherry-pick?

Did, however, surprise me a bit. Whodathunkit?

Learn something new every day.

4 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

One might suspect the perspective of the latter at least provided motivation for the author to search and cherry-pick?

Did, however, surprise me a bit. Whodathunkit?

Learn something new every day.

I believe that's exactly it. Outrage is the currency of the day. 

It's late June. They need to try to manufacture any type of controversy that they can at this time of year.

That being said, anything that pisses off Ohio State fans is solid in my book.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I believe that's exactly it. Outrage is the currency of the day. 

38 minutes ago, Tiger said:

It's late June. They need to try to manufacture any type of controversy that they can a this time of year.

That being said, anything that pisses off Ohio State fans is solid in my book.

IIWII*

*Learned a new web-speak term today; hope I'm using it right.

5 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

IIWII*

*Learned a new web-speak term today; hope I'm using it right.

TIL what IIWII means.

(Sharing the former, truly seeing the latter for the first time but immediately got it... so I'd say you used it very well.)

Archived