If Roe v. Wade gets overturned, it wouldn’t ban abortion

NolaAuTiger

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/15/2018 at 12:06 PM, NolaAuTiger said:

I didn’t mean I disagree with your predictions, I would probably argue against them (if that makes sense), as you can guess. But either way, it would be speculation so I Just didn’t know if there were reliable statistics out there.

I am starting to think of Nola is a 'Walter Mitty' imagining himself as a litigation attorney. :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I am starting to think of Nola is a 'Walter Mitty' imagining himself as a litigation attorney. :rolleyes:

I’m starting to think you’re probably an overweight, fat man, sitting naked in his bean bag while eating chips, attempting to think of ways you can be “witty” about me practicing law one day. 

The discrepancy of intellectual rigor and civility between yourself and Dub is astounding. I’m happy to play on your level, but it’s getting old.

On 7/15/2018 at 1:34 PM, NolaAuTiger said:

The premise is not equivalent. That’s the entire flaw of your hypothetical, as I’ve pointed out. What larger point do you seek to advance in relation to the discussion over state vs federal regulated abortion in light of Roe v Wade? 

My larger point is to get you to appreciate the true meaning - and existence - of a "dilemma", which you apparently refuse to do.  Arguing that a particular hypothetical is unrealistic so doesn't merit a response is simple evasion.

Real dilemma's occur in real life.  The hypothetical I used can and does happen.  There are many other hypothetical scenarios I can imagine that create dilemmas regarding decisions that result in the loss of life, for example in combat and rescue situations and executing triage.  You cannot avoid the reality of a dilemmas by denying they exist. 

Likewise, you should respect the reality of a dilemma when they occur to others.  It's easy to dismiss the dilemma of a poor pregnant woman who is already struggling to feed three children while working two minimum wage jobs with facing the prospect of another mouth to feed, much less the cost associated with a pregnancy (for example).  But to do so, shows a total lack of empathy.  And to suggest she can simply jump on a bus and travel cross country to get an abortion - presumably in defense of her state's restricting abortion access - reflects a total misunderstanding of the reality of poverty.

Hopefully, your philosophical/intellectual  naivety is due to being too young to know any better.  You haven't had time to experience or even think about such things. Heck, you may not even have reached intellectual maturity from a physiological standpoint (mid-20's).  At any rate, you certainly haven't experienced it long enough to make a real difference.

And here's food for thought. 

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. - F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Dismissing the very concept of a dilemma is not "functioning".  It's avoiding the reality of a person who is facing one.

30 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

I’m starting to think you’re probably an overweight, fat man, sitting naked in his bean bag while eating chips, attempting to think of ways you can be “witty” about me practicing law one day. 

The discrepancy of intellectual rigor and civility between yourself and Dub is astounding. I’m happy to play on your level, but it’s getting old.

I'll take strong exception to that.  I don't have a bean bag chair and never have.  :rolleyes:

The responsibility of arguing against things you actually agree with (or vice versa) is obviously an inherent part of the professional responsibility of an litigator.  That's undoubtedly one of the things that make attorneys generally unpopular, but I actual respect it.

Doing it on a forum such as this however is a different matter.  It reflects a need for gamesmanship or argumentnativeness that might indicate unhealthy personality attributes, say aggressive tendencies. 

However, imagining yourself as a litigator - or just trying to think like an attorney even if practicing - is a relatively benign explanation, so I was actually giving you the benefit of doubt.  ;D

And as the above post clearly demonstrates, you shouldn't flatter yourself regarding your ability to play on Dub's or my level.  We have huge advantages over you.  

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

My larger point is to get you to appreciate the true meaning - and existence - of a "dilemma", which you apparently refuse to do.  Arguing that a particular hypothetical is unrealistic so doesn't merit a response is simple evasion.

Real dilemma's occur in real life.  The hypothetical I used can and does happen.  There are many other hypothetical scenarios I can imagine that create dilemmas regarding decisions that result in the loss of life, for example in combat and rescue situations and executing triage.  You cannot avoid the reality of a dilemmas by denying they exist. 

Now you’re really treading water. You tried to advance a point in the context of the ongoing conversation by creating a clearly unrelated an distinguishable hypothetical. I called you out on it. Further more, I never denied that dilemmas exist. Even if you try to fix the enormous hole you’ve dug, your new position is meaningless. No one is avoiding that dilemma’s exist. You’re pulling this out of your ass. 

You brought up an unintelligent hypothetical that you thought you’d be able to use against me. Instead, I pointed out its flaws in this context and it back fired on you.

Likewise, you should respect the reality of a dilemma when they occur to others.  It's easy to dismiss the dilemma of a poor pregnant woman who is already struggling to feed three children while working two minimum wage jobs with facing the prospect of another mouth to feed, much less the cost associated with a pregnancy (for example).  But to do so, shows a total lack of empathy.  And to suggest she can simply jump on a bus and travel cross country to get an abortion - presumably in defense of her state's restricting abortion access - reflects a total misunderstanding of the reality of poverty.

Hopefully, your philosophical/intellectual  naivety is due to being too young to know any better.  You haven't had time to experience or even think about such things. Heck, you may not even have reached intellectual maturity from a physiological standpoint (mid-20's).  At any rate, you certainly haven't experienced it long enough to make a real difference

Wrong. You are dismissing the grounds upon which I oppose abortion. If I stand on such grounds, then it’s not something that I can simply just “agree to disagree on.” Especially if I maintain that the unborn have a natural right to life. I logically cannot say that the line of justification for elective abortion is ever blurry.  The essence of my opposition is that there is not a moral dilemma re elective abortion. For pro lifers, elective abortion is clearly atrocious and one’s economic state (however unfortunate) doesn’t create a dilemma becuase the idea of the natural right to life prevails. Idc whether or not you agree with my position, but you cannot tell me that I rest my opposition on other ground, thus necessitating me to share the same position you do in terms of it being a “dilemma.”

As for my age, that’s just a BS argument that doesn’t desire to move a discussion forward. Besides, there’s people older than you who would agree with me. Many people around your age start losing their minds, so in actuality, that statement can work against you. But of course I would never argue such a thing. I see the emptiness of such an appeal.

You also have no “standing” to talk about what I have or have not experienced. Again, another silly argument that in no way attempts to further a discussion.

Dismissing the very concept of a dilemma is not "functioning".  It's avoiding the reality of a person who is facing one.

Says the guy who is dismissing my basis of opposing abortion. 

23 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I'll take strong exception to that.  I don't have a bean bag chair and never have.  :rolleyes:

The responsibility of arguing against things you actually agree with (or vice versa) is obviously an inherent part of the professional responsibility of an litigator.  That's undoubtedly one of the things that make attorneys generally unpopular, but I actual respect it.

Doing it on a forum such as this however is a different matter.  It reflects a need for gamesmanship or argumentnativeness that might indicate unhealthy personality attributes, say aggressive tendencies. 

However, imagining yourself as a litigator - or just trying to think like an attorney even if practicing - is a relatively benign explanation, so I was actually giving you the benefit of doubt.  ;D

And as the above post clearly demonstrates, you shouldn't flatter yourself regarding your ability to play on Dub's or my level.  We have huge advantages over you.  

You’re upset becuase I highlighted the absurdity of your hypothetical in the context of this discussion. So, now you resort to what’s comfortable - cheaply poking at one’s personal life.

As for your “level and advantages” over me, we all know you constantly get schooled by me. Kind of like I did here in destroying the false equivalency you thought you could paint with the hypothetical. That’s why you prefer empty, pissing matches. Anything “serious” never really works out in your favor, namely becuase I’m more of an intellect than you are (even though that wasn’t a very “intellectual” thing to say).

I would bet anything that Nola and his circles do more than their share to support people with all types of dilemma. Here your experienced old arse continues  brings up this poor pregnant woman thing and in reality it would settle very little if you placed a free abortion clinic on every corner in every city. that is reality. 

Hopefully, your philosophical/intellectual  naivety is due to being too young to know any better.  You haven't had time to experience or even think about such things. Heck, you may not even have reached intellectual maturity from a physiological standpoint (mid-20's).  At any rate, you certainly haven't experienced it long enough to make a real difference.

Good Grief  

57 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Yet Nola normally makes you like a silly senile old bitter geyser.

46 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Yet Nola normally makes you like a silly senile old bitter geyser.

Another nice lunch for Nola at homie's expense.

3 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

Another nice lunch for Nola at homie's expense.

That's why he has to search so desperately for interactions where I am arguing with others. He has a difficult time coming at me alone. 

Or he just goes after my personal life, like the old coward he is. 

9 hours ago, bigbird said:

Jenny

Forest 

7 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Actually that's me except you left out PBR's

6 hours ago, homersapien said:

nd as the above post clearly demonstrates, you shouldn't flatter yourself regarding your ability to play on Dub's or my level.  We have huge advantages over you.  

Wow! I did spill my beer. Pseudo intellectuals never cease to amaze. But keep being you homes. You keep the forum lit. :lol: 

16 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Wow! I did spill my beer. Pseudo intellectuals never cease to amaze. But keep being you homes. You keep the forum lit. :lol: 

Well, I don't exactly know how old you are, but I suspect it's old enough for you to naturally feel you have advantages over a 20-something year old.  Or maybe you are just pseudo-experienced. ;D

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Trees

Oak

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Strength

Beauty 

Archived