First thing Chip will address at Fall Camp

WFE12

3 minutes ago, toddc said:

Doesn’t he have two years eligibility left?

That's right!

Wow. We could have 5 returning seniors starting next season...

...and a new starter at QB. Lol. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, toddc said:

Didn’t he just switch to ol like last year? I’m not sure but it seems that way.

I thought he was recruited as an offensive lineman. Could be wrong though, and would like to hear if there is any update on him.

36 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

First thing Chip has to do is make sure Gus keeps his hands off the offense.

SizzlingGregariousBat-max-1mb.gif

On 7/17/2018 at 10:36 AM, SumterAubie said:

"Hey Gus. I got this"

THIS! 100%. And I'm serious. I want to see Chip & JS run the show...day 1. It's go time Chip!

11 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

First thing Chip has to do is make sure Gus keeps his hands off the offense.

No head coach is going to keep his hands off any phase of the game. If he does, he won't be a head coach long. Head coaches get hired and paid to "meddle". If whoever is in charge doesn't like the type of meddling that's being done, he fires the meddler he's got and hires a different meddler, but if you have a team with a head coach, you have a team with a leader that's being paid to meddle in all phases of the operation. The two biggest meddlers I've ever witnessed at Auburn were Shug Jordan and Pat Dye and they did pretty good.

44 minutes ago, Mikey said:

No head coach is going to keep his hands off any phase of the game. If he does, he won't be a head coach long. Head coaches get hired and paid to "meddle". If whoever is in charge doesn't like the type of meddling that's being done, he fires the meddler he's got and hires a different meddler, but if you have a team with a head coach, you have a team with a leader that's being paid to meddle in all phases of the operation. The two biggest meddlers I've ever witnessed at Auburn were Shug Jordan and Pat Dye and they did pretty good.

I don't disagree that it's the HC's prerogative (and job) to meddle.

The key, though, is what the results of the meddling are.  If Gus will "meddle" to keep the offense aggressive and innovative instead of his propensity to "meddle" to put on the offensive brakes and run only his comfort plays then you'd almost be out of a job. B)

54 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Meddle Chip into running the ball up the middle 13 times in a row. That kind of Meddling. 

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I don't disagree that it's the HC's prerogative (and job) to meddle.

The key, though, is what the results of the meddling are.  If Gus will "meddle" to keep the offense aggressive and innovative instead of his propensity to "meddle" to put on the offensive brakes and run only his comfort plays then you'd almost be out of a job. B)

I liked it when he meddled by very publicly handing all play-calling duties over to Rhett in 2016 and we subsequently tore much of the SEC a new one until all our RBs and our QB (for whom we had no viable backup) were injured.

I also liked it when he meddled by letting his OC go back up to the box from where he had always previously coached and making his co-OC OL coach come back down to the sideline (our offense subsequently went nuts again). 

I did not like it when he said, "How many points can they score on my defense?" and we rattled off 17 straight runs on first down, which I assure you Chip Lindsey had never once approached doing in his entire career. I'm pretty sure the broadcasters had never even heard of that happening. I certainly hadn't.

I also didn't like it when he meddled by coming up with a weird offense that didn't actually identify a QB for just one game that we totally could have won just by playing normal football. That was super weird. 

I don't know why some here can't grasp the difference between leading the team and meddling/micromanaging. We'll probably talk about it until the next guy comes along. I don't remember talking about it nearly as much with prior coaches. 

56 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Meddle Chip into running the ball up the middle 13 times in a row. That kind of Meddling. 

Yes, why do you ask?

here-i-come-5b40b1.jpg

12 hours ago, bigbird said:

Yes, why do you ask?

here-i-come-5b40b1.jpg

You were slow with this. I beat you by two hours. Try to keep up!

13 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I thought it was 17 times. It should have won the game, except for the defense and kick coverage teams getting complacent. I guess he should have meddled more on the other side of the ball that game and just left orders with the offense to run up the middle 17 times. That would have produced a win!

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

I thought it was 17 times. It should have won the game, except for the defense and kick coverage teams getting complacent. I guess he should have meddled more on the other side of the ball that game and just left orders with the offense to run up the middle 17 times. That would have produced a win!

Defense getting complacent? All of those 3 and outs will do that to a defense. Agree on the special teams. 

Oh, he's doing that thing where he blames the defense for our offense being terrible again. Good gravy, what a dumb thing to say. 

Kevin Steele is the only reason Gus Malzahn still has a job. 

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Oh, he's doing that thing where he blames the defense for our offense being terrible again. Good gravy, what a dumb thing to say. 

Kevin Steele is the only reason Gus Malzahn still has a job. 

Just referencing D. Davis's statement that the defense got complacent, thus the blown 20 point lead. Of course, if you know more about it than the players themselves know, good on ya'.

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Just referencing D. Davis's statement that the defense got complacent, thus the blown 20 point lead. Of course, if you know more about it than the players themselves know, good on ya'.

That is D. Davis being a team leader and bailing his head coach out. 

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

3 plays on D and ST vs 17 plays by the O

6 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Yup...

fJJt4T.gif

8 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

So he wasn't telling the truth? You weren't concerned about the defense the entire second half? I don't think Davis was lying and I wasn't liking how the defense played the final three quarters. We must have seen a different game.

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

3 plays on D and ST vs 17 plays by the O

"All close games turn on three to four plays." Pat Dye.  The kick return was the biggest.

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

So he wasn't telling the truth? You weren't concerned about the defense the entire second half? I don't think Davis was lying and I wasn't liking how the defense played the final three quarters. We must have seen a different game.

Good Lord. You really going to say this? Did the D play their best game? Nope. The D didn't lose this game. Hell no. If that is your take, well :rollin:.

Just now, Mikey said:

"All close games turn on three to four plays." Pat Dye.  The kick return was the biggest.

We had a 20 point lead. 

Your act is like some Bizarro A4E thing. 

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Game wouldn't have been close if we would've called a complete game on O

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

We had a 20 point lead. 

Your act is like some Bizarro A4E thing. 

The game was close because the defense didn't hold that 20 point lead. Check the final score.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Game wouldn't have been close if we would've called a complete game on O

The D's fault we lost to Clemson also. Shouldn't have let them score those 2 TD's. 

Archived