Gus’ Ceiling

Zeek

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

I will say this. There aren’t many coaches I believe could meet the expectations that I believe we have. 

This is the hell of it. He's shown more than once that Auburn (he) can recruit well enough in spite of competing with Bama and Georgia for players. There is enough talent out there and arguably enough on our roster, especially last year. I think our expectations are fine. We're smart enough to know when we're short. We had enougg to win today.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

Not unless the reincarnation of Cam Newton shows up.

Seriously, I have been off the Gus bus for three seasons now. However, he seems to run a clean program, and has recruited fairly well. He has capable hands in charge of the defense, but must make some changes on offense. Lindsey isn't the answer. He needs a O coordinator who can Institute an offense that is capable of passing the football, and can take advantage of the talent we seem to be able to recruit at the skill positions.

If he doesn't he will last only until his buyout gets low enough to allow us to send him packing.

That's the one thing about Gus offenses, is that they either need a QB who can outright win games when everything else sucks (that isnt Stidham, maybe it can be Gatewood if he can learn...throw?) or an OLine that is just vastly better than anyone you can put in front of them. Obviously you have to recruit either of those to get them here and we've seemingly missed almost every shot in those regards that isn't a JuCo, named Braden Smith, or a run blocking only left tackle

For those of you that play FanDuel or Draft Kings, Gus is your typical boom or bust guy. He can win the whole thing any given year, but he can also lose it all and go 6-6. 

His ceiling is a title, his floor is the Birmingham bowl, his average is the outback bowl.

11 hours ago, WeagleAU said:

I used to be optimistic about Gus, especially after his first season as head coach in 2013.  Many said that season was just a fluke, but I was one of those who thought Gus was going to be the consistency that Auburn needed at the HC position to take them to the next level.  Now, like many, I've lost faith in Gus after 5 seasons plus.  Since the 2013 season Gus is: 

2014    8-5

2015    7-6

2016    8-5

2017    10-4

Even though Gus had a 10 win season last year, he totally imploded in the SEC championship and bowl game.  And unbelievably, Auburn gave him a multimillion dollar extension.  Also to note since 2013 Gus against his biggest rivals:

LSU  2-3  (0-2 against Orgeron)

Georgia 1-3

The Turds  1-3

Top 25 opponents  10-15

He doesn't have a winning record against any of them.  What could be even worst?  Since 2013, Gus is 1-4 in post season.  The only win coming in the lowly Birmingham Bowl.  Despite having really good recruiting years, Auburn continues to under perform.  I think he has already reached his ceiling.  Realistically, I don't see Auburn ever winning a National Championship with Gus as HC.... a bowl win would be nice though

im not trying to start an argument but in the sec championship game  kerryon was not 100% healthy. so gus just worked with what he had and unfortunately it wasn't enough I know folks are upset but barring a collapse Gus will still be here in 2019 and 2020 . and by way other teams played yesterday i'd say that there isn't too many good options to replace him

I wouldnt necessarily count 2013. That year had alot of last minute drives and miracles packed into it.    Miss st, UGA, Alabama for example, and then  few other games that were decided by a TD or less - Wash ST,  T A&M.   If you cant replicate it then i dont think it counts.    Auburn should have been better than an 8-5 team the following year with who they had coming back or 2013 should have been a 9 win team and we just caught a lot of lucky breaks. Guessin its the latter.   All in all he is a 8-9 win coach who might get lucky from year to year. 

8 hours ago, Tigercj said:

We have more talent at Auburn right now than we have had in a long time. But yet the results we are getting does nit pan out these facts. Gus for whatever reason cannot win a big game and his record against our rivals proves this point. So are we heading in the right direction I am not sure anymore. I just think Gus is at his ceiling and we can either accept it or demand a change. 

Bama, Uga and lsu have just as much talent. Gus is 2-3 agianst bama and uga and 2-4 against lsu. Yes id love for those to be 3-2 but to be one game under .500 right now isnt bad. Name me a team that has beaten bama and uga 2 times in the past 5 seasons

1 hour ago, KnightTiger said:

im not trying to start an argument but in the sec championship game  kerryon was not 100% healthy. so gus just worked with what he had and unfortunately it wasn't enough I know folks are upset but barring a collapse Gus will still be here in 2019 and 2020 . and by way other teams played yesterday i'd say that there isn't too many good options to replace him

I put this on Gus for not developing other RBs whether they were ready or not.  His job is to get them ready.  In Gus's 5 years, name a player who was substantially better when he left than he was when he arrived. That is my beef with Gus, he teaches his system but does not teach technique or fundamentals.  He thinks his system when executed perfectly can't be stopped.  That was true for a season or two but no longer.  You have to adjust to what the defense is doing or not doing.  You can't keep doing the same thing when it isn't working. 

7 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

Not unless the reincarnation of Cam Newton shows up.

Seriously, I have been off the Gus bus for three seasons now. However, he seems to run a clean program, and has recruited fairly well. He has capable hands in charge of the defense, but must make some changes on offense. Lindsey isn't the answer. He needs a O coordinator who can Institute an offense that is capable of passing the football, and can take advantage of the talent we seem to be able to recruit at the skill positions.

If he doesn't he will last only until his buyout gets low enough to allow us to send him packing.

I basically agree with this.   I am impressed with so much that he has done with the program

I think Gus needs to be more of a CEO type and less hands on with the offense.

While his offensive system can/will put up yards and big points.  It has glaring weaknesses from red zone, to utilizing the entire field, to telegraphing plays and snap counts.

The true value is having defensive and offensive schemes that are adaptable to the talent that you have.  Evolving them with the advancement of the game and being innovators.  Not forcing a system because you created it 25 years ago and didn't evolve it besides gimmicks and trick plays.  Chip has added some things but he is not being given full control.

7 minutes ago, around4ever said:

I put this on Gus for not developing other RBs whether they were ready or not.  His job is to get them ready.  In Gus's 5 years, name a player who was substantially better when he left than he was when he arrived. That is my beef with Gus, he teaches his system but does not teach technique or fundamentals.  He thinks his system when executed perfectly can't be stopped.  That was true for a season or two but no longer.  You have to adjust to what the defense is doing or not doing.  You can't keep doing the same thing when it isn't working. 

ranted and ranted about that for years, especially with Titan.  I really hope he does change because he has everything else we want in a coach besides Bruce Pearls personality, but nobody can really have that!!!!

9 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

Sooner or later Lindsey will leave.  Gus will have to hire someone else.  However, I stand bythe fact  that we lost because our o-line isnt up to snuff

Yup.

Without the studs up front this offense CAN’T succeed against elite defenses consistently without a true dual threat QB. Cam could turn a sack into a touchdown. Stidham can only turn a sack into an INT. 

He did get us to the NCG in 2013 so u have to say that is the ceiling but the issue is the frustrating seasons with 4,5,6 losses in between. He recruits well, better than anyone prior at Auburn but play calling seems poor and lack of development drives me nuts.  Is it possible that in CGM's time here he has not developed not even 1 QB? Not one.  The good QBs weve had were all transfers. Please don't say Cam or Nick Marshall because they were athletes who came here and we're mainly runners. From the Kiehl Frazier disaster to Jeremy Johnson, he has not developed a QB which I think speaks volumes for an Offensive Guru. So if we are expecting the NCG ceiling we are probably going to throw ourselves out the 1st floor window because the ceiling is not coming back soon. 

11 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Ceiling and standard are two different things.  He nearly won a natty his first year and was a quarter away from the playoffs last year, so you can argue that his ceiling is quite high.

But what do I expect to be his standard?  A bunch of 9-3 type seasons.

9-4. Don't forget the annual bowl loss

3 hours ago, Auhud08 said:

Bama, Uga and lsu have just as much talent. Gus is 2-3 agianst bama and uga and 2-4 against lsu. Yes id love for those to be 3-2 but to be one game under .500 right now isnt bad. Name me a team that has beaten bama and uga 2 times in the past 5 seasons

If you are fine with the overall of Gus then that is fine I on the other hand think he has reached his ceiling.

2 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

9-4. Don't forget the annual bowl loss

Eh, bowl games are a crap shoot for matchups.  For example, we had no business being in the Sugar Bowl two years ago at 8-4, but someone from the SEC had to go.  OU was a much better team than we were.

Really just an 8-4 coach with a 1-4 bowl record.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Eh, bowl games are a crap shoot for matchups.  For example, we had no business being in the Sugar Bowl two years ago at 8-4, but someone from the SEC had to go.  OU was a much better team than we were.

Meh, agreed on Oklahoma. There is also Memphis, Wisconsin, and UCF, and we were the more talented teams in those games. Our bowl record under Gus should be better.

13 hours ago, jared52 said:

Sorry, you aren’t getting rational asking this tonight. Asking it preseason, yeah, but tonight no.

That said, I think Gus will probably have some opportunities talent-wise, but as long as uat is running roughshod through the CFB world, he’s 8-9 wins consistently, with the 10 win once every 4 years.

I think this is a fair evaluation, if you throw in the occasional 2015 type season. He's an 8 win coach, who will occasionally get 10 wins and occasionally have a toilet of a season. He is the SEC's Kirk Ferentz.

7 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Meh, agreed on Oklahoma. There is also Memphis, Wisconsin, and UCF, and we were the more talented teams in those games. Our bowl record under Gus should be better.

I'm admittedly very checked out when it comes to bowl games anymore, so that record just doesn't matter to me.  If you ask me, they're only good for the extra practices unless you're in the playoffs.  Hard for me to care about the (insert corporate sponsor here) Bowl in some random Florida tourist haven.  I only went to the Sugar Bowl because New Year's in NOLA is a blast.  Couldn't have cared less about the game itself.

As long as the turds remain elite, which unfortunatley looks to be well into Dabo's time at the crapstone.......we damn near have to remain undefeated and win the Iron Bowl to have a shot at a NC........tall order regardless our HC............no room at all to loose SEC west game.......loosing to LSU is like loosing 2 SEC east games.......sorta.

6 hours ago, KnightTiger said:

by worked with what he had, you mean used the same strategy from playing them three weeks before?

We have what I think is the answer to our QB issues if JS goes down.; Joey Gatewood. Is he ready? Not sure, but think he has the attributes to make Gus-ball work like it did with Marshall and a bit of Cam thrown in.  I know a lot of you will disagree with this,  and I do see where you are coming from.

I would love to see our back-up QBs getting some reps in the next couple of games (Arky & USM) of which we should win handley.  I would love to see Gatewood if his thumb is well enough to get some reps. He deserves a chance to show his skills in the right situation. Come 2019, we will need a solid QB next year to carry the load. Gatewood has all of the attributes of a Nick FItzgerald of MSU in many ways (size, and better speed). I think we need to start looking at the future of the QB situation. I am not sold on Willis, but maybe he has what it takes to win in our offense. Cord is an interesting QB and reminds me a bit of the LSU QB Burrow.

Our current roster is talented, but still lags behind Bama, UGA, and LSU. Not considerably so, but it does. And it shows up at at times. We have several members of our current O Line who would not start at those schools, and it was exposed yesterday. Same for DBs. To the original question of this thread, Gus’s ceiling can be higher with better recruiting. 

Archived