Jason Campbell: 'It's not just the offensive line'

abw0004

The Auburn offensive woes are well documented.

Coach Gus Malzahn knows he sounds like a "broken record."

The Tigers are sticking with Nick Brahms at center as Auburn prepares for Saturday's game with Mississippi State.

AL.com reporter Tom Green pointed out the lackluster numbers this week.

In those two games, Auburn has allowed a combined seven sacks and 16 tackles for a loss, and the offense has mustered just 2.6 yards per carry while being held to fewer than 100 yards rushing in back-to-back games for the first time since 2012.

Former Auburn quarterback Jason Campbell, who joined me and Lee Shirvanian on Thursday during "The Opening Kickoff" on WNSP-FM 105.5, said there is more to it than the offensive line.

"The thing is, with the offensive line, it takes some time to gel together," said Campbell, who can be heard during the pre-game for Auburn home games on the Auburn Radio Network. "It doesn't help when you have all these injuries when you are trying to find five guys that can work together.

"It's different than any other position on the football field. One guy messes up and it gets your quarterback hurt or a running back gets hit in the backfield. Everybody has to be on the same page."

Campbell said there are two other areas of the offense that can help get the offense back on track.

"It's not just the offensive line," Campbell explained. "Sometimes, we have holes there. We need to hit more with speed to get through there. Sometimes, (quarterback Jarrett) Stidham can help out  the offensive line, too. Sometimes, he holds the ball a little long. He likes to scramble to his left side, which puts pressure on your left tackle. If you stay in the pocket and move up in the pocket, sometimes that can help your linemen. ...

"With him being back there, sometimes you feel like you have to get out of there. You have that clock in your head and you don't have a lot of trust in what's going on in front of you."

Campbell explained running back Boobee Whitlow, who was not full speed at practice after an injury against Southern Miss, could be the workhorse Auburn has been missing.

"Usually we always have a big running back," Campbell said. "Kerryon (Johnson) was a good-size running back. Coming into this year, I thought we found something with Whitlow. I think he's a guy that can get the ball 20 times a game. With his size and everything, he can take the pounding."

He added Shaun Shivers is a "real quick back with a change of pace, and he thought was expecting a "little bit more" from Kam Martin."

3 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Obviously Jason doesn’t know what he’s talking about.  The board has already decided it’s clearly 100 percent the OLs fault.  

Nope.  Remember this is all Gus' fault.

Just now, abw0004 said:

True.  I hate having a coach that continues to put us in the Top 10.   Idiot Gus and his offensive cronies are gonna ruin us forever.  

I love Jason Campbell and all but  I seem to remember him struggling until his senior year which I believe coincided with the arrival of Borges. Coaching and maturity make the QB. Miss either one or both and you've got trouble. 

1 minute ago, gr82be said:

I love Jason Campbell and all but  I seem to remember him struggling until his senior year which I believe coincided with the arrival of Borges. Coaching and maturity make the QB. Miss either one or both and you've got trouble. 

I miss Big Al Borges

38 minutes ago, gr82be said:

True but he is making an observation now and he seems to be pretty spot on. 

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

Well, when you've got one of our best QBs ever saying that every single position group on offense is failing...

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

True.  I hate having a coach that continues to put us in the Top 10.   Idiot Gus and his offensive cronies are gonna ruin us forever.  

Its not were you start but where you finish. So far the finishing has been the problem

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Well, when you've got one of our best QBs ever saying that every single position group on offense is failing...

HB and WR I would say both are playing SEC quality.   OL, QB, and RB not so much.

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

Pretty decent his Sophmore year under Petrino as well.  That got the hype train rolling for 2003.  😳

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

Pretty decent his Sophmore year under Petrino as well.  That got the hype train rolling for 2003.  😳

Then Nallsminger 1.0 happened.

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

Obviously Jason doesn’t know what he’s talking about.  The board has already decided it’s clearly 100 percent the OLs fault.  

There's enough blame to go around, and Stidham has gotten his fair share, not mention the coaches from the top down.  Stidham's uncomfortable and honestly with the way his line has failed to execute all the way back to the dang UCF bowl game in January until the SoMiss game last week, he has every right to be gun shy to an extent.

2 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Then Nallsminger 1.0 happened.

That was my senior year.  I thought for sure we were destined for greatness that year.  USC killed that dream real quick.

1 minute ago, keesler said:

There's enough blame to go around, and Stidham has gotten his fair share, not mention the coaches from the top down.  Stidham's uncomfortable and honestly with the way his line has failed to execute all the way back to the dang UCF bowl game in January until the SoMiss game last week, he has every right to be gun shy to an extent.

Bottom line.

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

That was my senior year.  I thought for sure we were destined for greatness that year.  USC killed that dream real quick.

We had a load of talent that year, no doubt. What a waste.

Need to get better everywhere offensively.  Starting with coaches down.  Not saying dumb down the offense but do the things we can do well and build off of it.  Go out and play the game and let each play stand on it's own.  Move on to the next play

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

Yep experience is a great teacher.  I'd say Petrino had as much of a hand in Jason's development as Borges and Borges benefited from a very senior and junior heavy offense in 2004 and 2005.  

Aside from that and on to another topic completely... How much does Kellen Mond remind you guys of Jason Campbell?

8 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Yep experience is a great teacher.  I'd say Petrino had as much of a hand in Jason's development as Borges and Borges benefited from a very senior and junior heavy offense in 2004 and 2005.  

Aside from that and on to another topic completely... How much does Kellen Mond remind you guys of Jason Campbell?

I’m not sure about Mond but I always thought Jason would be a natural fit to take over for McNair and the Titans. 

I feel like many analyst have already said this. Yet , there are a small minority of folks who tend to stick to their own guns. 

10 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Mond and Campbell do remind me a lot of each other. Campbell has the nod though over Mond. I hope we see a team that we have not seen this season and one that can turn the corner and generate enough offense to win Saturday. I will send out a prayer for our offense to get it together and show us what we all have been waiting to see all season.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Nope. Gus has no accountability over this. Didn’t you know? I mean only gave the okay to recruit these guys, hiring the coaches to teach and gameplan and finalize such game plan. But other than that, he has no accountability.

28 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I haven't seen enough to compare them. I barely get to watch the Auburn games and I just never got in the habit of using the DVR on other schools. 

Archived