Latest Jobs Report

Proud Tiger

13 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

134,000 jobs is great now?

When you are close to full employment already that's petty good.

On 10/8/2018 at 10:49 AM, Proud Tiger said:

When you are close to full employment already that's petty good.

Are we really though?

That was the question I heard from many conservatives whenever positive gains were shown in labor reports during the Obama years.  The labor participation rate was bandied about quite often.

Is it still a fair question?

united-states-labor-force-participation-rate@2x.png

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Especially since we were assured by Krugman and others that the election of Trump would bring an immediate recession.   

I'm willing to make the argument that the recovery under Obama's last two years were the "low hanging fruit". ….. No tree grows to the sky of course  but the continued growth shows the hidden opportunities that were there and are now being developed. 

8 hours ago, AU64 said:

Especially since we were assured by Krugman and others that the election of Trump would bring an immediate recession.   

I'm willing to make the argument that the recovery under Obama's last two years were the "low hanging fruit". ….. No tree grows to the sky of course  but the continued growth shows the hidden opportunities that were there and are now being developed. 

Funny why my friend RIR didn't mention wage growth of 3.1% in the latest report. The Dems have been using low wage growth as the only thing they could find to be critical of the current economy.

And I would note Obama used to talk about jobs "saved" rather than created, since his new job creation wasn't much to crow about. And wage growth sure wasn't.

26 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Funny why my friend RIR didn't mention wage growth of 3.1% in the latest report. The Dems have been using low wage growth as the only thing they could find to be critical of the current economy.

And I would note Obama used to talk about jobs "saved" rather than created, since his new job creation wasn't much to crow about. And wage growth sure wasn't.

And inflation is rising.  Right around 2.3% over the last year.  Kind of takes a bite out of that wage growth.

3 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

And inflation is rising.  Right around 2.3% over the last year.  Kind of takes a bite out of that wage growth.

I bet wage growth and the tax cuts are making lots of people happy.

1 hour ago, Proud Tiger said:

You kind of missed the point.  Does any of that matter if it costs more for a gallon of milk or a loaf of bread?  Inflation needs to be looked at along with wage growth to get a true barometer of what's happening.  Right now, the numbers would suggest that consumer buying power is relatively unchanged.

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

You kind of missed the point.  Does any of that matter if it costs more for a gallon of milk or a loaf of bread?  Inflation needs to be looked at along with wage growth to get a true barometer of what's happening.  Right now, the numbers would suggest that consumer buying power is relatively unchanged.

Your article sir:

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/08/07/for-most-us-workers-real-wages-have-barely-budged-for-decades/

2 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

No doubt that it is easier finding a job now than it was say 5 years ago. Least for me personally. I had 3 offer alone in October and begin my new job on 11/11.

Lol, I unfortunately  was working for a company most of this year that was going backwards. They actually cut pay with blame on price of goods resulting from tariffs (prob half/true and half/false).

Tax cuts were nice, but I'm in agreement with others from my experience that cost of goods are out pacing wage growths. Especially at the lower income levels.

12 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Whether inflation offsets the wage and tax benefits depends on the individual and what he buys. BUT....I bet the record number of blacks and women now employed are happy. Regardless of inflation, a job and income sure are better than no job.

Archived