Best case scenario for 2018?

jskilgro

8-4 is the absolute best record we could *possibly* finish with - including a win against a beatable UGA team. 

looks like 5-7 from where I sit, though. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We wake up in the morning and it's only Sept 1st. Just like in Groundhog Day, let's keep doing this until we get it right. Otherwise, 5-7. 

In a odd and surprising move Gene Chizik rides in on a white stallion and tells Gus to hop on and ride away with him. They go and co-coach Alabama State to numerous championships in the FCS. Terry Bowden is their HC, Gus is the OC, and Gene the DC.

52 minutes ago, gr82be said:

We wake up in the morning and it's only Sept 1st. Just like in Groundhog Day, let's keep doing this until we get it right. Otherwise, 5-7. 

If this was all a bad dream when I woke up I’d need to change my pants...

Gus isnt benching Stidham or not filtering the plays, its not even realistic for a best case scenario to hope that. As long as there's potentially plays that are working and Stidham isnt going out and being the outright only reason we lose (which is a catch 22 because the OLine is always gonna be semi-bad), those two constants won't change. With that in mind, IDK how we beat UGA. Especially a UGA team that will probably be coerced into starting Fields. Im legitimately scared to see Fields against this defense in its current status. I dont even know how we beat Ole Miss if not a single guy could stop Jauan. 

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Gus isnt benching Stidham or not filtering the plays, its not even realistic for a best case scenario to hope that. As long as there's potentially plays that are working and Stidham isnt going out and being the outright only reason we lose (which is a catch 22 because the OLine is always gonna be semi-bad), those two constants won't change. With that in mind, IDK how we beat UGA. Especially a UGA team that will probably be coerced into starting Fields. Im legitimately scared to see Fields against this defense in its current status. I dont even know how we beat Ole Miss if not a single guy could stop Jauan. 

Stidham still gives them the best chance to win,  however slim that may be. Malik Willis wouldn't be a dual threat with that OL blocking for him.  And if Auburn's developmental projection are correct,  he's nowhere near ready to see the field.

4 hours ago, murpjf88 said:

Stidham still gives them the best chance to win,  however slim that may be. Malik Willis wouldn't be a dual threat with that OL blocking for him.  And if Auburn's developmental projection are correct,  he's nowhere near ready to see the field.

Agree 100%. 

If Willis had even a chance to be better than Stidham, he would be in there. Also, it's telling that the staff fully expects Bo Nix to walk in and start next season as a true freshman over Willis who will have been in the system 3 full seasons

10 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Agree 100%. 

If Willis had even a chance to be better than Stidham, he would be in there. Also, it's telling that the staff fully expects Bo Nix to walk in and start next season as a true freshman over Willis who will have been in the system 3 full seasons

Poor Nix. Gus will ruin his future. The play calling is old and predictable. 

Best case is Auburn beating Ole Miss this weekend.  Tamu and UGA would be gifts.  Liberty is probably a win but the wheels could be completely off by that game.  The Iron Bowl will be a mercy killing.

From where I sit it's really simple. The "O" line is completely broken. The expectation at the outset was that the young line would have some troubles but would improve throughout the season. In contradiction to what would normally be expected, the O line is regressing by being poorly coached and lost. Guys are completely missing key assignments every other play. When they do get the assignment correct, they are getting over-matched physically. It's tough to win when the line of scrimmage is so weak.

I don't legitimately see another SEC win on our schedule barring a fluke, and even Liberty will be a challenge if they scheme to attack this weakness. 5 and 7 is our likely destiny. I'm not mad about it (sure it's disappointing) but that's my reading of the tea leaves. 

7-5 which is a stretch. Makes me sick that this team isn’t a top 25 caliber group. Makes me even more sick that a select few still defend this nonsense.

Our best case looking big picture would be to beat Liberty and lose to the rest making us 5-7. The people with the deep pockets will then shell out the money to buy Gus out. I think the only way we get rid of Gus is to have a losing season and not make a bowl game this year.

15 minutes ago, DAG said:

Makes me even more sick that a select few still defend this nonsense

Makes me sick when people advocate reckless contracts and reckless breaches. Maybe we should live with 7-6 couple more years and that will teach the PTB to be more practical and frugally responsible. How else are they going to learn? 

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Makes me sick when people advocate reckless contracts and reckless breaches. Maybe we should live with 7-6 couple more years and that will teach the PTB to be more practical and frugally responsible. How else are they going to learn? 

This is Auburn. Hopefully our new AD Allen Greene won't be quite so frivolous. Let's also hope he limits the PTBs actual power. 

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Unfortunately you might be right. Just giving away free money. 

We lose out but our retarded savant of a coach somehow beats Bama. It would be hilarious for a #1 Bama team to lose to a 5 win Auburn team.

if we could ding up some players and ruin Tua’s Heisman candidacy as well as their championship run all the better.

9 minutes ago, Zeek said:

We lose out but our retarded savant of a coach somehow beats Bama. It would be hilarious for a #1 Bama team to lose to a 5 win Auburn team.

if we could ding up some players and ruin Tua’s Heisman candidacy as well as their championship run all the better.

I just hope the officials get a grip on their defenders punching people. I wish I knew how to share a tweet. I'd share the one where the Bama defender punches the Missouri guy at least 3 times after a tackle and nothing was done about it. 

10 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I just hope the officials get a grip on their defenders punching people. I wish I knew how to share a tweet. I'd share the one where the Bama defender punches the Missouri guy at least 3 times after a tackle and nothing was done about it. 

I got you

Watching Bama fans excuse his actions is disgusting. 

It is. I mean I hate talking about Bama especially on an Auburn board, but that is just inexcusable, and anyone who would dare defend that type of action by a player, no matter the team, is disgusting. 

Hopefully Gus will have them all over that crap and can get the officials to actually call them out for doing this, if they do it. 

15 minutes ago, Zeek said:

We've learned that  a one-loss  bama team still makes it to playoffs.  If bama comes to the Iron Bowl undefeated, an AU win against them is nothing.  Saban could  bench his starters for the game.  If uga remains unbeaten in their division, they could do the same vs AU.  

Those programs are playing a larger game.  They are playing for National Championships.

Losing to Auburn would be a blip on their radar, but could delay Gus' firing because Auburn fans and the AU PTB would find it more difficult to fire the genius who beat bama and uga.  

'Woohoo!  Gus is AUsome! If only Gus could figure out how to beat Tennessee...."

BTW:  We're stupid, you know.

Become bowl eligible then beat USF in our bowl game - thereby being able to claim we do not having a losing record against ANY college football program in the state of FL.

It's true.:big:

Archived