Men vs Xavier

tgrogan21

10 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

He played decent defense, got lost by the offball screens a few time, but who didnt. Is also still their best on ball defense on the perimeter and the guy's point was that he's driven more this year than in the past, which is true. He shouldve drove more this game but when he did it worked ~5 times out of 6. Bryce didnt have his smartest game but the role he plays, a KCP type, is invaluable to a 3 and D squad. 

If Im a coach, only things I see that I completely try to hinder before Duke is contested dribble dribble 3s early in the clock and maybe be the guy who calls those offball picks out himself. I know the center traditionally does that but BB seems to be the team captain of the defense 

That guy that's their point is a first year starter that to be honest they wish he wasn't. He couldn't stay in front of him at all. When the game was on the line in OT they took him off and but Harper on him. No sorry that's not good defense. Lucky that guy just can't shoot but the main reason our big men were in foul trouble was because we couldn't stop them from penetrating. To beat Duke we need to do exactly what they did to us, which is ironic. But I'm not going to go back and forth about this guy. 

As far as style that's not a 3 and D played. I'd be ok with that style, that's actually more what Dunbar looks like. He's getting the ball and shooting it before 2 passes is made. The announcers all day were questioning his shots. 

And no it's never just the center's job to call out picks....that wouldn't be smart at all

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

theres also no 2 guard on this team that would make Auburn a better squad than Bryce, so I dont even know what we're hating on

This doesn't even makes sense. On the football team there's no better RG or center on the team either so why say anything about the run game....

Oh you could tell there was a bunch of humidity in the gym. The floorand the basketball was slick. That was a cause to a good bit of the turnovers. Hopefully the condition gets better but we really aren't that bad as it seemed with turnovers, I don't think

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

This doesn't even makes sense. On the football team there's no better RG or center on the team either so why say anything about the run game....

They're negatives, Bryce is a positive for the team. Like Bryce has frustrating segments to his game, I do understand, but he is overall making this team better. You talk about Brahms for example, they are making the team worse. Im not saying you shouldnt criticize the guy's game, but I get the strong implication you believe there's an alternative to what he offers 

8 minutes ago, cole256 said:

That guy that's their point is a first year starter that to be honest they wish he wasn't. He couldn't stay in front of him at all. When the game was on the line in OT they took him off and but Harper on him. No sorry that's not good defense. Lucky that guy just can't shoot but the main reason our big men were in foul trouble was because we couldn't stop them from penetrating. To beat Duke we need to do exactly what they did to us, which is ironic. But I'm not going to go back and forth about this guy. 

As far as style that's not a 3 and D played. I'd be ok with that style, that's actually more what Dunbar looks like. He's getting the ball and shooting it before 2 passes is made. The announcers all day were questioning his shots. 

And no it's never just the center's job to call out picks....that wouldn't be smart at all

I cant speak for all those bigs and their fouls, but Wiley had at least 3 that were just him in the post. McLemore had at least 2 where he did his thing and tried to contest plays where he didnt have to (fouls that wont always be called, in his defense). If he got dicked penetration wise the whole game, Ill concede the point, but theres a reason why he's been trusted to this point. Id positionally like for him to take Reddish but Pearl might mess around and give him Barrett. Hes not gonna have too many more dumb defensive games 

Id also be inclined to ask you how many games last season you felt that he was a black hole passing wise. I feel this game is more of an anomaly than it is the norm, but I just want to hear the other side

1 minute ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Get this post out of this thread. 

That is not the Thanksgiving spirit now John. Go watch Plains, Trains and Automobiles to calm down sir. I thought Canadians were supposed to be nicer than this...... SMH.

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

That is not the Thanksgiving spirit now John. Go watch Plains, Trains and Automobiles to calm down sir. I thought Canadians were supposed to be nicer than this...... SMH.

This is a posi AU thread. Let’s put Duke highlights in the Duke game thread. 👍

5 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

They're negatives, Bryce is a positive for the team. Like Bryce has frustrating segments to his game, I do understand, but he is overall making this team better. You talk about Brahms for example, they are making the team worse. Im not saying you shouldnt criticize the guy's game, but I get the strong implication you believe there's an alternative to what he offers 

I cant speak for all those bigs and their fouls, but Wiley had at least 3 that were just him in the post. McLemore had at least 2 where he did his thing and tried to contest plays where he didnt have to (fouls that wont always be called, in his defense). If he got dicked penetration wise the whole game, Ill concede the point, but theres a reason why he's been trusted to this point. Id positionally like for him to take Reddish but Pearl might mess around and give him Barrett. Hes not gonna have too many more dumb defensive games 

Id also be inclined to ask you how many games last season you felt that he was a black hole passing wise. I feel this game is more of an anomaly than it is the norm, but I just want to hear the other side

Whether a plus or a negative if you're honest at assessing what you see it shouldn't matter. We're just talking on a board so it REALLY shouldn't matter. But you point out the flaws so you can strengthen them. No I don't think we have anybody better, but that's not a good thing. I don't think he'd start for any of the top schools in our conference. And as far as the team as a whole as far as position I think he's 4 out of 5 as far as starters

As far as defense I mean that's what they are supposed to do is contest, it's usually not going to be too good for them if the opponent has a full head of steam attacking them or the point sets up someone else because they made the defense collapse to help. He may be the best that we have to put on the floor but he's not individually the best defender on the team. He's the best guard defender. As far as captain on defense I'd think that would be A Mac. 

I'd like him to take reddish because Barrett is more aggressive but in reality if you could just pick NOBODY in their right mind would want him guarding reddish. That's a mismatch. But luckily this is a team game and he has teammates that he can count on to help. That's the beauty of basketball

I like Bryce. He ain't perfect but he was a 2nd team all conference player heading into this season, that's not nothin. I prefer him to be a catch and shoot guy off of penetrate and kicks or swinging it but he is critical to our success on both ends IMO. He did not have his best game today but we needed every one of his points. I've also seen him play better on D. 

Samir, though, was underwhelming today. We are really gonna need him to pick it up moving forward. I think Danjel coming back will be big for us on the wing. 

Won today in spite of their play......BB has his moments but today just did not look one of them....but sometimes it just goes that way..

JMO….but Harper's rush at the end of regulation and in OT kept several guys from having to bear the burden of losing a game they should have won easily. 

Y’all are crazy. Number one, block Cole. I only figured out he was addressing my post through other people. Addition by subtraction. We’re all better without him. 

Number two, Bryce wasn’t his best, but again, he kept us afloat offensively until Harp took over. Who else even had that capability? Mac? Doughty? Bryce outplayed both of them. He played 43 minutes, finished with the same amount of rebounds as Mac and Wiley combined, had 5 assists, and led the team in scoring. In a win. Only a moron would complain about that performance. Remove Bryce and that’s an easy loss. Period. If you like winning, you like Bryce. 

It's probably already been said in this thread, but wow it was surprising to see Doughty be so ineffective.  I know his upside is terrific, but he sure made me miss Heron today.

19 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Y’all are crazy. Number one, block Cole. I only figured out he was addressing my post through other people. Addition by subtraction. We’re all better without him. 

Number two, Bryce wasn’t his best, but again, he kept us afloat offensively until Harp took over. Who else even had that capability? Mac? Doughty? Bryce outplayed both of them. He played 43 minutes, finished with the same amount of rebounds as Mac and Wiley combined, had 5 assists, and led the team in scoring. In a win. Only a moron would complain about that performance. Remove Bryce and that’s an easy loss. Period. If you like winning, you like Bryce. 

yeah, i i think a lot of folks are blocking him....i would hate to do that, but he has been acting kinda' pissy this past week....maybe his wife/girlfriend/boyfriend left him?.....he knows basketball pretty good, but he does come off as he is the ultimate authority sometimes, although i really don't think he means to

I dont think we'll miss Heron AS MUCH when the ball is swinging and guys are getting each other involved. when its just stagnant, guys making tough shots, then you'd definitely want a great iso player. Thats what I believe Danjel brings. I think they need to give J'Von a little more trust because I believe he adds more offensive value than Samir and you'd like another choice than just leaving Dough boy to the fire when its not his day.

I like cole as a poster, I just think he's headstrong on certain topics. His last post directed at me made some good points, I just dont know if I can argue with just how little he likes BB's game. At that point we're just getting into preferences really

10 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Rigggghhhhttt. You only figured out through other posters? How was that being that absolutely nobody even responded to your post? You really think alot of yourself. I can't stand liars, especially in this capacity. Youmust not even lying to get over, you just lie because that's what you do.

If you read this post and can't see how he is manipulating just from a basketball perspective. I ask you to please block me. It's best for both of us. Yes in an ot game I can say take doughty away and we don't win and he scored two. And yes it sounds great to say a person does what two can do......especially when one person of the combination stat reads zero....

Also when was Harper not scoring? When was he in a drought and Brown carried us. It's one thing to debate, I'm cool with that, it's another to be deceitful. But cool do you

8 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

That's analytical gold right there.  You just can't get that level of quality anywhere but AUF.

Case and point

10 hours ago, doverstutts said:

yeah, i i think a lot of folks are blocking him....i would hate to do that, but he has been acting kinda' pissy this past week....maybe his wife/girlfriend/boyfriend left him?.....he knows basketball pretty good, but he does come off as he is the ultimate authority sometimes, although i really don't think he means to

I wonder how many are blocking? What makes you think alot? Because I have the same people popping up talking crap? So you ignore the larger amount of good things people say? That's cool. You still mad because I was skeptical of Doughty being hyped as what some were saying? You act like I told you that your inside guy was a liar or something. 

But so far as far as people like that I see that have a problem with me same characteristics. Either super sunshine posters that hate to be told things aren't the brightest. And people that get angry because you disagree with them and don't follow what they say and you think for yourself.

Say what you want but you can't say I do anything but read posts either agree or disagree and explain why. If you feel that makes me come off as I think I'm the authority then ok. 

You agree with me and talk to me then post like this.....smh that's some snakelike stuff right there. More power to you

46 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I dont think we'll miss Heron AS MUCH when the ball is swinging and guys are getting each other involved. when its just stagnant, guys making tough shots, then you'd definitely want a great iso player. Thats what I believe Danjel brings. I think they need to give J'Von a little more trust because I believe he adds more offensive value than Samir and you'd like another choice than just leaving Dough boy to the fire when its not his day.

I like cole as a poster, I just think he's headstrong on certain topics. His last post directed at me made some good points, I just dont know if I can argue with just how little he likes BB's game. At that point we're just getting into preferences really

Cool. I actually like talking basketball and I like debating. That's how you learn new things. Or at least that's how I do. We had an exchange, I didn't disrespect you and you didn't me. I even statedmaybe it's me as far as Brown but when I watch him play it's not efficient. I wouldn't enjoy playing on a team with him. I try to take that out and just post what I see. But that's what I thought

I like BB, I want to discuss BB. I'm really fed up with this pissing contest kind of irrelevant crap. Quit making it about YOU and just talk about BB.

5 hours ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Wow.  Glad that one is over.

It was supposed to be easier than this! lol. I'm expecting to sweat it out with the Dukies but today was a bit too adventurous. Have to give Xavier credit though...they kept fighting. But we have to play smarter basketball. 

47 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Cool. I actually like talking basketball and I like debating. That's how you learn new things. Or at least that's how I do. We had an exchange, I didn't disrespect you and you didn't me. I even statedmaybe it's me as far as Brown but when I watch him play it's not efficient. I wouldn't enjoy playing on a team with him. I try to take that out and just post what I see. But that's what I thought

I feel you entirely, but in the league, you got guys got him. There are some guys that arent going to be free flowing ball movers, and most nights, the ball doesnt completely stop with him like it did today. IDK why today he chose to chuck the way he did today, but I dont think itll get this  bad again. Id also like for him either A. slash more (which he can do adeptly) B. pass up some contested shots (I know thats how he makes his bread in this offense) C. play the style of offense he played today,  but make an effort to become a better ball dribbler. One thing that really hurts him is he doesnt have a very tight handle, so his ability to create separation isnt the best (you can say this about all of our good shooters tbh). 

I guess Id prefer B, because its the most realistic. I think maybe he doesnt slash much because he isnt comfortable doing so and also seems to not trust his FT shot, but he has a VERY solid layup package Ive noted. 

54 minutes ago, AURex said:

I like BB, I want to discuss BB. I'm really fed up with this pissing contest kind of irrelevant crap. Quit making it about YOU and just talk about BB.

My ears are burning...

😁

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

That's part of it. I'm not to concerned about the corner stuff, but we are going to need for perimeter guys to attack the rim, and a bunch of other stuff as well

Didn't we have a conversation earlier about not having someone that can drive and create their own shot off the dribble?  IMO, BB = Danny Green. Good defender, good shooter, poor driver, and poor rim finisher.

Our off ball movement and cuts need to be much crisper and we need to be able to finish at the rim much better. JMO

Archived