Men vs Xavier

tgrogan21

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AUBwins said:

Even so, I don't think Spencer had a foul after he entered as I thought he had 4 as well, but pretty impressive.  I thought the defense on the first few possessions in OT was critical and were came up big in all of them, allowed our offense to get going.  Also noticed that Harper was moved to guard the point in OT, and the penetration by the PG was a little more chaotic with some poor decisions. 

Man I just don't like Brown's game. I check myself to see am I being biased as I've never been high on him.....but this game especially he was making me so angry. I hope he plays better tomorrow

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Best to learn and still win. We have a bunch of problems that needs to be addressed though. 

Purifoy, Doughty, Dunbar have to do their part as slashers.  Horace and Mac in the corner even when open sometimes have to go baseline to the basket and create that contact and finish or dump pass to the other big.  I'm assuming that's what you are talking about addressing.  More drive and score or more drive and kick back out extra pass open 3.  

McCormick gotta grow up in a hurry.   

1 minute ago, KolchakAU85 said:

McCormick didn't contribute.  I thought he'd be a good player for us.

Give him time.  He is not use to this level of play.  Lee College is a small church college here in Cleveland Tn.  He has to get adjusted....

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Man I just don't like Brown's game. I check myself to see am I being biased as I've never been high on him.....but this game especially he was making me so angry. I hope he plays better tomorrow

I'm with you on this. I feel like he has gotten worse this year. I wanted to scream at him on that last shot of regulation.

5 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

McCormick didn't contribute.  I thought he'd be a good player for us.

I think backup PG is going to really be our Achilles heel.

If only there were more difference in Jared and Davion's age *sigh*

4 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I think backup PG is going to really be our Achilles heel.

If only there were more difference in Jared and Davion's age *sigh*

Yeah, this game showed how much we need Davion.  Harper can't play this much in every competitive game we play.

And I see now just how much we miss Moustapha.

10 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Purifoy, Doughty, Dunbar have to do their part as slashers.  Horace and Mac in the corner even when open sometimes have to go baseline to the basket and create that contact and finish or dump pass to the other big.  I'm assuming that's what you are talking about addressing.  More drive and score or more drive and kick back out extra pass open 3.  

McCormick gotta grow up in a hurry.   

That's part of it. I'm not to concerned about the corner stuff, but we are going to need for perimeter guys to attack the rim, and a bunch of other stuff as well

3 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Yeah, this game showed how much we need Davion.  Harper can't play this much in every competitive game we play.

And I see now just how much we miss Moustapha.

Yup when things were really muddy for us how nice would his ability to just get a basket have been?? 

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Yup when things were really muddy for us how nice would his ability to just get a basket have been?? 

Others have to take his place.  Samir, Dunbar, Okeke, and when Purifoy gets back.  They have be able to create because Harper can't be expected to break down the defense every possession in must score situations.  Not sure Dunbar has the ball skills for it but work on it when we are up by 20 against lesser teams.  Purifoy when he comes back just can't be another Bryce Brown he has to bring something different.  

21 minutes ago, cole256 said:

what was aggravating me was the lack of ball movement to the inside like they have done the other games.....this hero ball (harper was a hero but it should not have come down to it) is not going to work against the big boys.....duke is shooting the 3 lights out now, so maybe they have their hot time today instead of tomorrow

39 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

I hate that I missed such an exciting game......but many thanks for the updates! WDE!

Right. The updates (but for the pettiness of some posters) were awesome for someone without access to a television

Not sure why we buried Dunbar in the second half. Doughty wasn't playing well.

I'm not with the crew hating on Bryce Brown's game. He kept us afloat for stretches of this game. He's the best on-ball defender on the team, is driving the ball more this year, and is still making 3s. He warps defenses because they're scared to leave him open. He finished with a true shooting % of 63% or an effective FG % of 58.3%, and he led the team in scoring. In other words, he played a great game.

The major takeaway is, defend without silly fouls or you'll keep overmatched teams in the game. We also need more activity/scoring from Okeke and Doughty. Wiley needs more reps to get his rotations down, but that will come with time. He's a natural scorer on the block.

36 minutes ago, cole256 said:

what was aggravating me was the lack of ball movement to the inside like they have done the other games.....this hero ball (harper was a hero but it should not have come down to it) is not going to work against the big boys.....duke is shooting the 3 lights out now, so maybe they have their hot time today instead of tomorrow

we had better play a lot of zone tomorrow....we do not match up at all with duke at all....they will let you drive the paint and foul a lot, but man oh man, are the loaded with good basketball players!.....we will have to play our best to have a chance and i mean play high IQ basketball along with shooting well and stopping the silly fouls

I know we all would have loved to seen a mistake free game, but i am pleased with what i saw today.  1st game of the season in a pressure situation ( March tournament type) and they finished with emphasis.  They had things to overcome and i believed they grew up some.  They had a bad game and still beat a good Xavier team.  So i think they gained confidence and still made mistakes, they can learn from.  Grew up some.

20 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Not sure why we buried Dunbar in the second half. Doughty wasn't playing well.

I'm not with the crew hating on Bryce Brown's game. He kept us afloat for stretches of this game. He's the best on-ball defender on the team, is driving the ball more this year, and is still making 3s. He warps defenses because they're scared to leave him open. He finished with a true shooting % of 63% or an effective FG % of 58.3%, and he led the team in scoring. In other words, he played a great game.

The major takeaway is, defend without silly fouls or you'll keep overmatched teams in the game. We also need more activity/scoring from Okeke and Doughty. Wiley needs more reps to get his rotations down, but that will come with time. He's a natural scorer on the block.

He didn't play a great game. He didn't play good defense, he didn't shoot good, he shot when he should've been passing. He didn't drive the ball this game. He didn't play a good game but great game is laughable

18 minutes ago, cole256 said:

He didn't play a great game. He didn't play good defense, he didn't shoot good, he shot when he should've been passing. He didn't drive the ball this game. He didn't play a good game but great game is laughable

He played decent defense, got lost by the offball screens a few time, but who didnt. Is also still their best on ball defense on the perimeter and the guy's point was that he's driven more this year than in the past, which is true. He shouldve drove more this game but when he did it worked ~5 times out of 6. Bryce didnt have his smartest game but the role he plays, a KCP type, is invaluable to a 3 and D squad. 

If Im a coach, only things I see that I completely try to hinder before Duke is contested dribble dribble 3s early in the clock and maybe be the guy who calls those offball picks out himself. I know the center traditionally does that but BB seems to be the team captain of the defense 

Just now, Gene Loblaw said:

My god. Cole the Troll is still at it. Love watching him work

Lower case g in God but capitalize T in troll....good job. I know you're upset that your favorite player didn't play well today. It's just one game.

Archived