PM: Gus close to accepting changes to stay (merged threads)

aubiefifty

10 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Bama will find all the venables skeletons and make them known. I’m all on the aranda train, however!

Venables' "skeletons" are way overblown IMO. I have never actually heard anyone say what they are, so smoke and mirrors to me. Or as a certain someone would say, "FAKE NEEEEWWWSSS." Would be happy with Aranda though.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AUwent said:

Venables' "skeletons" are way overblown IMO. I have never actually heard anyone say what they are, so smoke and mirrors to me. Or as a certain someone would say, "FAKE NEEEEWWWSSS." Would be happy with Aranda though.

I believe someone with knowledge here in the past said AU would not touch Venables due to whatever they were. And if someone would bring them to light, we know it would be bama 

Because I am curious and like-minded curious people might want to know...here they are.  I truly wonder what Quentin Riggins thinks of this situation!!  His were my AU years!

http://www.auburn.edu/administration/trustees/

:AUBig:

6 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I believe someone with knowledge here in the past said AU would not touch Venables due to whatever they were. And if someone would bring them to light, we know it would be bama 

Well then Aranda it is (as one of our choices).

34 minutes ago, DAG said:

Oh everyone is getting better but us lol. Granted we beat Jimbo but I think they will be trajecting upwards. I remember I would get killed about Dan Mullen but look at UF?

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Season/2019-Football/Commits/ Just because I was curious I went to look and see where Jimbo had their crutin class. Number 2 in the country right now. Already paying off paying up for a proven Head Coach.

16 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Season/2019-Football/Commits/ Just because I was curious I went to look and see where Jimbo had their crutin class. Number 2 in the country right now. Already paying off paying up for a proven Head Coach.

Oh, they're paying alright

So how/when will we know if any of this is actually true? What's the protocol on reduced buyout press conferences? 

Auburn is a public entity and has to reveal big money moves to the public, right? 

9 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

Is there a reason that anybody that shows any  support for Greene you call them a relative, etc?

First time I’ve done that with anyone, ever.

31 minutes ago, AU-24 said:
1 hour ago, WarTim said:

statement is long past due from the school administration!

I imagine we'll hear something when they have something concrete to say.  

Sounds to me like Raymond Harbert guaranteed CGM's existing contract and Leath is making an effort to lessen the buyout and Harbert's exposure. If that's the case, who has AU's best interest going forward?

5 minutes ago, around4ever said:

I imagine we'll hear something when they have something concrete to say.  

Isn't PM essentially their media mouthpiece?

2 hours ago, WarTim said:

What if None of the rumors are true?

Things are the same either way.

We lose our minor bowl game this season.

Gus stays for one more season.  

Chip stays for one more season.  

Recruiting drops.

The Tigers go 7-5 or 6-6 and lose our minor bowl game.  

We lose out on the Brohms, won't hire a Briles, and hire Bill Clark.

Edit:  The above is not quite correct.  There is actually one difference.  If the rumors are true and the Idiots In Charge did scam Gus and the fans with a fake Stoops rumor just to save themselves some money, then we'll be lucky to convince Bill the dogcatcher to be our head coach.   No coach in their right mind would work for an organization that pulls that kind of crap to weasel out of a contract.  If our rivals were  pulling this s---, we'd be howling with laughter at what losers they'd proven themselves to be.

9 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

Because fighting to avoid the Bham bowl every year means you’re mediocre. Idk about you but I want auburn to be good, I want them to take that next step, like the basketball program is starting to do. I want to see improvement, not complacency with being average

I was just being sarcastic FYI - I just kind of figured what you said is generally implied here.

24 minutes ago, AUcivE09 said:

I was just being sarcastic FYI - I just kind of figured what you said is generally implied here.

When I first read it I thought you might’ve lol. 

If this new contract biz is true I am more pissed now than I was when hearing about 49 mil contract last year !The leaked info on Stoops to get leverage for a reduced contract shows me the BOT played the fan base. Their #1 focus is the MONEY. The money is more important than winning SECCs & NCs. This is going to cost Auburn a lot more than 49 mil over the next few years. It is fitting that we were TN’s first SEC win since we look to be fully committed to becoming the worst program in the SEC. The BOT are no better than JJ at mishandling contracts and hiring decisions. You guys are a damn embarrassment to us all ! How in the hell did any of you run successful businesses ? What a s&/%  show  

War Eagle ! 

1 hour ago, auskull said:

Sounds to me like Raymond Harbert guaranteed CGM's existing contract and Leath is making an effort to lessen the buyout and Harbert's exposure. If that's the case, who has AU's best interest going forward?

I seem to recall that the rumor going around the week of Ole Miss was that if Gus lost that game Harbert was going front 10 million toward the buyout. And consideing he had been Gus' biggist advocate post-regular season, if this were true then good on him for putting his money where his mouth is... Of course the second part of that rumor was even more horrifying. We we're going to go after Joey Freshwater 😱

So if the rumors are half true, I'd like to think that Mr. Harbert is an honest businessman.

11 minutes ago, NCTiger1982 said:

If this new contract biz is true I am more pissed now than I was when hearing about 49 mil contract last year !The leaked info on Stoops to get leverage for a reduced contract shows me the BOT played the fan base. Their #1 focus is the MONEY. The money is more important than winning SECCs & NCs. This is going to cost Auburn a lot more than 49 mil over the next few years. It is fitting that we were TN’s first SEC win since we look to be fully committed to becoming the worst program in the SEC. The BOT are no better than JJ at mishandling contracts and hiring decisions. You guys are a damn embarrassment to us all ! How in the hell did any of you run successful businesses ? What a s&/%  show  

War Eagle ! 

How do you really feel???😬(oh and I completely agree!)

Gus Malzahn to an Auburn commit: I’m ‘gonna be the coach’

Updated Nov 27, 9:12 PM; Posted Nov 27, 8:42 PM

Gus Malzahn met with Luke Deal (left) and Emerald High School principal Brad Nickles on Tuesday. Deal said Malzahn assured him he'd remain head coach at Auburn. (Courtesy of Skyler Rolstad . )

510 shares

By Sam Blum | SBlum@al.com

SBlum@al.com

The last 36 hours have produced reports of all kinds. On Monday, it was a report from the Alabama Reporter that former Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops had met with Auburn “powerbrokers." This afternoon, 247Sports reported that current head coach Gus Malzahn was “on the verge” of accepting a reduced buyout to stay at Auburn.

Amid the clutter of reports encapsulating drama between millionaire boosters, retired head coaches, beleaguered current coaches, and school administrators, Malzahn himself was in South Carolina on Tuesday with someone far removed from all that drama.

Luke Deal, a tight end commit who will enroll early at Auburn, got his in-home visit with Malzahn and assistant Larry Porter. Deal came into the day excited, and left the day excited about Malzahn and about Auburn. In between, he was given reassurances.

“You can see on Twitter, some of those rumors have already been made false,” Deal told AL.com on Tuesday night. “He just reassured me that he’s gonna be the coach for this year coming up. So I mean, you know what, I’m not worried a bit.”

Deal is a three-star tight end from Emerald High School in Greenwood, South Carolina. That’s where Malzahn was today, snapping pictures with students, teachers, and even the school principal in a photo where Malzahn’s Auburn pin is twisted sideways. Deal said Malzahn was a bit of a celebrity on campus today.

The drama surrounding Malzahn did not come up in conversations with those people at the school, but Deal didn’t deny that the rumors elsewhere existed. And with Deal planning to enroll early and move to campus in December during bowl game practices, he admitted Malzahn’s job security was relevant.

“That’s obviously a concern for anybody that’s going into this type of situation so quickly like I am," Deal said. "But I mean, he’s been through this before. Rumors flying, college football, it’s such a big business that it just happens like that. Knowing that he’s gonna be my coach and Coach Porter is gonna be my position coach is just such a relief.”

Deal’s father, Chis Deal, who took the day off from work for the visit, spoke very highly of Malzahn, and echoed his confidence that Malzahn would be his son’s head coach. He wouldn’t talk specifics of the conversation, but added, “I will say this, I felt very good about our conversation we had. I feel great about my son being coached by a man with high morals and high ethics.”

Chris Deal added that other college football programs have used this perceived uncertainty in their continued recruiting efforts, but that it hasn’t moved the needle on Luke’s commitment to Auburn.

I am sure Deal is a great kid and a hard working athlete but face it 3 star studded teams are not gonna beat Bama, UGA, LSU. 

3 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

I am sure Deal is a great kid and a hard working athlete but face it 3 star studded teams are not gonna beat Bama, UGA, LSU. 

If he's a hard working 3 star that contributes it will be more than a couple of 5 stars we've had recently who couldn't break into the line up. I just don't have full faith in the rating system of HS athletes. 

I just don’t know how Gus sells these TE recruits to come to his team.  He doesn’t use them properly and seldom develops players.  The team plays for him, so I think it’s a combination of the Stockholm Syndrome and the mushroom factory.

Recruiting is sales.  If Gus doesn’t believe it then why would recruits believe it?  Who knows.  History says next year could be weird in a good way based off the past weeks events.  92>93, 98>99 Auburn was 7-1 when Leard was healthy, 03>04, 2012>2013 etc.  I think 9-3 is bare minimum for Gus to save his job next year and those 3 loses can’t be LSU, UGA, and Bama.  I would say 2-3 of those need to be wins.  UF will still be a work in progress till they get a Qb, Texas A&M will be tough with Mond back, and LSU should be better with Burrows.  

Archived