PM: Gus close to accepting changes to stay (merged threads)

aubiefifty

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, TheDob06 said:

He must be the only one that still believes he can win at Auburn. If he truly believes that, that's why he would stay. I want him gone, but I'll be first to admit that if he stays and wins 11+ games next year, I might think differently. Gus knows that winning will fix everything and I guess he still thinks he can.

He will have to win a SEC championship and get us into the playoffs for feelings to be nixed IMO

Just now, DAG said:

He will have to win a SEC championship and get us into the playoffs for feelings to be nixed IMO

Still won’t be nixed for me. Get us to 10 or more wins back to back and I’ll feel better, till then no.

I’m not sure how he is “taking us down”.  The university still has the option to just fire him. THEY are the ones who have handled this the way they have from the start.  I don’t want to keep Malzahn but the PTB are the indecisive jerks here.  My anger is more with them.

Just now, BJCrawford said:

I’m not sure how he is “taking us down”.  The university still has the option to just fire him. THEY are the ones who have handled this the way they have from the start.  I don’t want to keep Malzahn but the PTB are the indecisive jerks here.  My anger is more with them.

I agree, but they made the offer because any other coach would decline, but gus’ ego supersedes that.

2 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:
3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Still won’t be nixed for me. Get us to 10 or more wins back to back and I’ll feel better, till then no.

Agree with both of you, in principle (sorry trying to sound like the negotiations)...

I'll certainly soften my stance with a SECC but he'll have to back it up with 2-3 losses, or less, (including bowl) for me to POSSIBLY trust him.

That said, unfortunately, I don't think there's any danger of either.  His actions and this stupid renegotiation HAS to have neutered his recruiting power, you'd think.... right?

I don't disagree. Gus seems to find more success when he is coaching for his job (2017). If he manages to stay and catch lightning in a bottle next year, he will probably get the chance to show us if he can have consecutive 10 win seasons before finally being shown the door.

Just now, AUsince72 said:

Agree with both of you, in principle (sorry trying to sound like the negotiations)...

I'll certainly soften my stance with a SECC but he'll have to back it up with 2-3 losses, or less, (including bowl) for me to POSSIBLY trust him.

That said, unfortunately, I don't think there's any danger of either.  His actions and this stupid renegotiation HAS to have neutered his recruiting power, you'd think.... right?

Exactly, if he follows it up with 7-8 wins, fire on the spot.

Just now, TheDob06 said:

I don't disagree. Gus seems to find more success when he is coaching for his job (2017). If he manages to stay and catch lightning in a bottle next year, he will probably get the chance to show us if he can have consecutive 10 win seasons before finally being shown the door.

Sad thing is, if got got a 10+ win season the following year, he’d get an extension and follow it up with 7-6. You can’t threaten your coach every week and be successful, guy has to know how and want to win

Recruiting is officially dead now. D E A D. If you thought OL crutin was bad it will be like that across the board for next years class at every position group. We already have made it easy for our rivals to negative recruit us. It is a frickin layup now. It will set us back years. Having even 1 bad recruiting back takes years to recover from. Just look at the OL mess we are in now. How it played out was the absolute worst thing that could of happen. 

LOL He is not winning more than 7 games next year. There is 5 losses automatically at the jump next year in Lsu, Florida, Tamu. Georgia and Bama. Knowing Gus he will lose ` or 2 more he should not lose like usual.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

Recruiting is officially dead now. D E A D. If you thought OL crutin was bad it will be like that across the board for next years class at every position group. We already have made it easy for our rivals to negative recruit us. It is a frickin layup now. It will set us back years. Having even 1 bad recruiting back takes years to recover from. Just look at the OL mess we are in now. How it played out was the absolute worst thing that could of happen. 

It’ll get bad, this cloud hanging over the program is going to kill us with this top guys that we need.

See I still think if he had a great season next year, he would take the first offer that came along and flip us off on the way out the door. 😬THATS what a person with a really big ego would do.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

LOL He is not winning more than 7 games next year. There is 5 losses automatically at the jump next year in Lsu, Florida, Tamu. Georgia and Bama. Knowing Gus he will lose ` or 2 more he should not lose like usual.

On paper I totally agree, but it would be a total Gus thing to do to win the west and buy another year so we live on in purgatory 

1 minute ago, BJCrawford said:

See I still think if he had a great season next year, he would take the first offer that came along and flip us off on the way out the door. 😬THATS what a person with a really big ego would do.

Would be totally happy with that lol

Of course we are assuming that we will be better next year. I hate to say it but I think we stay the same or get worse. Love to be proven wrong. I feel like all the other teams with the exception of Ole Miss and Pathetic Arkansas will still be bottom dwellers. I think if we lose to all 3 of our rivals then it is bye bye Gus. 

1 minute ago, BJCrawford said:

Yeah right . He had his chance to do that with Arkansas. He knows Auburn is his best get after his track record. 

Sad thing is, if got got a 10+ win season the following year, he’d get an extension and follow it up with 7-6. You can’t threaten your coach every week and be successful, guy has to know how and want to win

As @GwillMac6 said, I doubt that happens. But if it did, even with the reduced buyout we've still given him a nice deal.

Just now, DAG said:

Of course we are assuming that we will be better next year. I hate to say it but I think we stay the same or get worst. Love to be proven wrong. I feel like all the other teams with the exception of Ole Miss and Pathetic Arkansas will still be bottom dwellers. I think if we lose to all 3 of our rivals then it is bye bye Gus. 

I think worse just due to same OL new QB, losing RD at WR, plus what we lose on D. If injuries happen as well, geez, we’re in a rough spot

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

As @GwillMac6 said, I doubt that happens. But if it did, even with the reduced buyout we've still given him a nice deal.

But how far have we set ourselves back is the question 

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:
2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

It’ll get bad, this cloud hanging over the program is going to kill us with this top guys that we need.

Starting to understand how my UTk family felt for years.  It's only the beginning for us.... Lord, PLEASE don't force us into the desert!!!!

PrestigiousLightheartedChinchilla-size_restricted.gif

Even with the reduction in buyout, we still gave him a pretty sweet one at that, and he still gets it after a season that warrants a firing. So maybe we won't be hurt (too badly, anyway) when we're looking next year?

Archived