Men vs UAB

tgrogan21

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Their guard is good. Better than I thought, but if that's phenomenal defense we're in for a long season because there are plenty of teams with multiple guards better than him. 

Absolutely we're in for a long season full of close games because, like my Warriors, we live and die by the 3. We don't have three guys that can shoot the lights out for long stretches at any given moment ... just two. When Brown and Harper are cold from the arc, we are ripe for the upset and defense and Harper's free throw shooting are mostly what will save those type games. That's exactly what happened last night.

13 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

When he drives...when he shoots from way deep...he’s so clutch. Only egregious mistake I saw was going for the game winner 3 at the end of regulation. 

You just contradicted yourself.

If he hits it, like he has done so often ("so clutch" as you said), we all go bananas. If it rims off, like it did, it's an egregious mistake?

That's like saying it was a mistake for Steph Curry to try a game-winning three.

18 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Absolutely we're in for a long season full of close games because, like my Warriors, we live and die by the 3. We don't have three guys that can shoot the lights out for long stretches at any given moment ... just two. When Brown and Harper are cold from the arc, we are ripe for the upset and defense and Harper's free throw shooting are mostly what will save those type games. That's exactly what happened last night.

I don't agree about the D. The D was mediocre from the guards. But I agree about the offense, if chumma was aggressive by nature it would be ok but we isn't. Wiley is talented with offense but we don't feed him. I think we'll adjust. As far as defense you'll see. You'll see as soon as we get in conference play every team that has a good lead guard, bammer, LSU, Tennessee, miss st we'relucky Garland from vandy got hurt etc. 

I don't believe and die by the three when the three not falling they have an offensive force named Durant that scores from everywhere on the court. They just lose when they get bored. They don't have to hit the three, just the threat of it opens up everything for them.

14 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

If you look at the past few games we just have not been shooting the ball well at all. We seem to be playing a lot of me ball instead of passing the ball. Spencer should stop taking 3s. Brown had the worst game of his life on offense and defense. We shot 38% and 18% from 3 hahaha... Uab did everything they wanted and hit 3 straight 3s to end the game ... and auburn still won. 

We have a long way to go but we are 9-1. I like the team’s grit. And Harper is the best pure PG in the country. 

Absolutely nailed it. We're a one-shot, no pass, shoot a three team. Neither Spencer or McLemore should be taking threes. Absolutely cringed when McLemore shot one last night.

There was one possession in the 2nd half Bruce should play on loop to his team for an hour. Score was 36-38. Doughty faked a three, got the defender in the air and immediately threw it down low to Okeke, turned left and finished. THAT was beautiful offense.

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Iv'e heard Pearl say more than once, that he gives them the greenlight on their 3's, but to be sure they are open.

The problem i have is that teams that have a big man who can shoot the 3, has to have a decent percentage shooting them. Spencer has 0%, and Anfernee is not much better, although he has made some. So we don't really have a big guy that is pretty good shooting the 3.

The other problem is, if Pearl lets these big guys shoot 3's, and w/ such poor percentages, we also lose an offensive rebound threat, bc they are out past the 3 pt line.

Yup, I totally get it. Horace should never ever shoot one. Lol @ "Spencer is at 0%". Looking at how things are trending Horace may hurt someone in the stands next game with one of his 3s. Anfernee hit them at a good rate last season, so I'm ok with him shooting them from time to time but sheesh man you don't need to pull one with a hand in your face when we're trying to grind out ways to score. We have guys who, when on,  can hit contested 3s but Mac is not one of them.

My biggest thing is, in this particular game with such a limited number of possessions (since we are a team that feeds off of forcing extra possessions), is that those bad shots and wasted opportunities to score, if we are off, become a real hurdle for us and puts us at risk for getting beat by anyone. There are times where we are guarding for essentially a full minute with 5 seconds of offense in between which consists of 1 pass and launching a bad 3.

AU didn’t shoot the 3 well, but they didn’t “die” either. If you are Bruce, and you know you are capable of getting hot more often than not, do you stop shooting or do you keep shooting knowing you have a pretty good chance to get hot? With this team, I keep shooting. I wouldn’t have said that 2 years ago. 

Also, AU won.

27 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't agree about the D. The D was mediocre from the guards. But I agree about the offense, if chumma was aggressive by nature it would be ok but we isn't. Wiley is talented with offense but we don't feed him. I think we'll adjust. As far as defense you'll see. You'll see as soon as we get in conference play every team that has a good lead guard, bammer, LSU, Tennessee, miss st we'relucky Garland from vandy got hurt etc. 

I don't believe and die by the three when the three not falling they have an offensive force named Durant that scores from everywhere on the court. They just lose when they get bored. They don't have to hit the three, just the threat of it opens up everything for them.

Guards were forcing UAB into the paint towards our shot-blockers (as they should) and when they weren't getting blocked (we finished with 7 blocks) they were making ridiculous clutch circus shots.

We had the game won at least 10 times in regulation and OT, but UAB continued to make uncanny clutch shots (3-of-4 threes at the end of regulation). That kind of momentum, at home, typically spells doom for the visitor. But our D, especially in OT, played lights out. Our full court press was stifling.

Warriors indeed live and die by the three. Witnessed it four straight years, with and without Durant. Go back and watch Game 7 vs. the Rockets. Ice cold in the 1st half from the arc. Absolutely steel-melting in the 2nd half with Curry and Durant just killing them. When just one of them gets hot from the arc, they are next to unstoppable. No different with AU.

Also, yes, Spencer is bad at threes, but his willingness to take them (and Bruce’s willingness to let him) means guys are going to try and contest them. If everyone is allowed to shoot, defenders are naturally going to contest that. Hopefully that opens up the middle for Wiley to work one-on-one as AU looks to feed him more. 

1 minute ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Guards were forcing UAB into the paint towards our shot-blockers (as they should) and when they weren't getting blocked (we finished with 7 blocks) they were making ridiculous clutch circus shots.

We had the game won at least 10 times in regulation and OT, but UAB continued to make uncanny clutch shots (3-of-4 threes at the end of regulation). That kind of momentum, at home, typically spells doom for the visitor. But our D, especially in OT, played lights out. Our full court press was stifling.

Warriors indeed live and die by the three. Witnessed it four straight years, with and without Durant. When just one of them gets hot from the arc, they are next to unstoppable. No different with AU.

No they don't I watched the same games you did but like I said we'll see. Hitting a three pointer isn't lucky it's just a shot. If uab can do it then about 75 other teams we have to play can do it as well. Yeah we wore them out, we should given the difference in talent. 

You comparing Harper to curry is laughable but yeah warriors have three of the best shooters to ever play the game. We don't even have the best shooters in college.....that's like me saying we can run the triangle just like the Lakers.....only we don't have Kobe or shaq or Jordan. We won because at the end of the game Harper decided to stop shooting jumpers. We were outplayed in every other part of the game but forcing free throws

1 minute ago, jared52 said:

AU didn’t shoot the 3 well, but they didn’t “die” either. If you are Bruce, and you know you are capable of getting hot more often than not, do you stop shooting or do you keep shooting knowing you have a pretty good chance to get hot? With this team, I keep shooting. I wouldn’t have said that 2 years ago. 

Also, AU won.

Never wanna stop shooting but maybe working to get better looks would be beneficial. Maybe try to drive and kick, or drive and dump down low and then kick when the D collapses rather than come down, one pass to the wing, dribble in place and bombs away (sometimes it's a catch and shoot). Those are inefficient shots in a game that requires an efficient effort. We won't have such a talent advantage against anyone moving forward. BUT we pulled it out and it will be a learning experience from a W. Hopefully we see that in grind it out games like this we have to play smarter as an overall group.

3 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Also, yes, Spencer is bad at threes, but his willingness to take them (and Bruce’s willingness to let him) means guys are going to try and contest them. If everyone is allowed to shoot, defenders are naturally going to contest that. Hopefully that opens up the middle for Wiley to work one-on-one as AU looks to feed him more.

I do disagree on this though. I would put good money down that every coach that's scouting us is saying "sag off of #0" to his team.

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You comparing Harper to curry is laughable

No it isn't. Harper certainly doesn't have the 3-point percentages Curry has (who does?), but what he does compare to Curry with is free throw shooting (15-of-16 last night), the desire to get to the free throw line in a tight game and absolute zero fear of taking it to the rim and attempting NBA range threes down the stretch in a tight game. It's supreme confidence. They both have it. Curry just happens to be the very best PG on the planet at it.

There's a reason Coach K stopped Harper to speak with him after the game for about 20 seconds and did not with any other AU player.

20 minutes ago, jared52 said:

I think he needs to hit em or nobody is going to guard him

9 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

No it isn't. Harper certainly doesn't have the 3-point percentages Curry has (who does?), but what he does compare to Curry with is free throw shooting (15-of-16 last night), the desire to get to the free throw line in a tight game and absolute zero fear of taking it to the rim and attempting NBA range threes down the stretch in a tight game. It's supreme confidence. They both have it. Curry just happens to be the very best PG on the planet at it.

There's a reason Coach K stopped Harper to speak with him after the game for about 20 seconds and did not with any other AU player.

It absolutely positively is. There is nothing similar. There are forwards with confidence that doesn't make them Durant. Him deciding to go to the hole are missing 3's doesn't make him curry just makes him smart. To use that as an example is hilarious. 

He doesn't compare with Steph in free throw shooting. Harper isn't even at 80% for his career but he did well last night thankfully. 

And I wasn't there but I will absolutely guarantee that coach k gave him praise but he did not say he reminded him of Steph curry

I'm not arguing he's not good. I have been very adamant telling people he's the most important player on the team and he's a better shooter than Brown but he's not even the best PG in the conference certainly not the best in the country positively haven't done ANYTHING yet to be compared to the greatest shooter of all time you just feeling tingly inside after a game against uab.......uab.....uab

18 minutes ago, cole256 said:

We were outplayed in every other part of the game but forcing free throws

Blocks:

AU 7, UAB 3

Turnovers:

AU 10, UAB 13

Rebounds:

AU 40, UAB 39

Offensive rebounds:

AU 14, UAB 12

Free Throws:

AU 27-34, UAB 6-11

Points in the paint:

AU 28, UAB 24

Fast break points:

AU 6, UAB 2

Points off turnovers:

AU 15, UAB 11

Quite a far cry from "every other part of the game"

15 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

Offensive foul! But really wasn’t...

I'm curious if this is when they called the offensive foul on UAB when Harper was guarding the ball carrier.  If so, it was a great call.  I just cringe every time an announcer sees a replay and says, defensive player wasn't set or was moving.  Last night on the replay he says:  "yep, harper was moving, that's a foul on harper".    😡 I wish they would require announcers to actually READ a rule book.  NOWHERE in the book does it say the defender has to be stationary (or the famous word: SET) to draw an offensive foul.  NOWHERE.  

It’ll be nice when Wiley “shakes the rust off” and Auburn can have an inside game and an outside game.  I’m not feeling the chemistry this team had last year but it’s still early.  I wasn’t even paying attention to Auburn basketball this time last year.  It’s probably a good thing Auburn doesn’t play Tennessee till the end of the season.

2 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Blocks:

AU 7, UAB 3

Turnovers:

AU 10, UAB 13

Rebounds:

AU 40, UAB 39

Offensive rebounds:

AU 14, UAB 12

Free Throws:

AU 27-34, UAB 6-11

Points in the paint:

AU 28, UAB 24

Fast break points:

AU 6, UAB 2

Points off turnovers:

AU 15, UAB 11

Quite a far cry from "every other part of the game"

Did you really show the 1 rebound? Being we have a 7 footer and a small forward as big as their center I'm going to give that to them points in the paint as well since you're pointing out 4 more points. Like I said they outplayed us in every area except free throws. I guess blocks too all the other stats you just posted to say "far cry from" is pathetic. I would've been ashamed to try to use 4 fast break points to hammer my argument home. We are incredibly more talented team and the fact they almost match us in every way with that difference in talent and experience is out playing us imo. You can have yours though

8 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

2018-2019 Free Throw shooting:

Harper 0.923, Curry 0.945

Career free throw shooting is 78.6% curry has played years in college and NBA just seeing Harper percentage fluctuate shows that you can't compare curry career to Harper what ten games this year. I'll go hit ten free throws in a row right now.....I'm not to be compared to Larry bird. You're hilarious. You also just used a discrepancy such as this to show a "far cry" from out playing.....now it's close🤔

Just now, Gene Loblaw said:

it's amazing that someone posts stats and objective data nad Cole still finds a way to convince himself that he was right. 

😂 trust me we all know you think Harper is Steph curry and Brown is who to you? Let me guess what all time great can we compare to this team because of the performance against uab? I know he's Dr J!

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Did you really show the 1 rebound? Being we have a 7 footer and a small forward as big as their center I'm going to give that to them points in the paint as well since you're pointing out 4 more points. Like I said they outplayed us in every area except free throws. I guess blocks too all the other stats you just posted to say "far cry from" is pathetic. I would've been ashamed to try to use 4 fast break points to hammer my argument home. We are incredibly more talented team and the fact they almost match us in every way with that difference in talent and experience is out playing us imo. You can have yours though

And of course if you look at the difference in foul shots...... and if AU were the team with 11 and the opponent had 34 attempts,  people would be screaming their heads off about the inequities of the officiating. 

BUT we won a road game where only Harper had a reasonable shooting night.   Take it and move on....JMO

5 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

I'm curious if this is when they called the offensive foul on UAB when Harper was guarding the ball carrier.  If so, it was a great call.  I just cringe every time an announcer sees a replay and says, defensive player wasn't set or was moving.  Last night on the replay he says:  "yep, harper was moving, that's a foul on harper".    😡 I wish they would require announcers to actually READ a rule book.  NOWHERE in the book does it say the defender has to be stationary (or the famous word: SET) to draw an offensive foul.  NOWHERE.  

FWIW, that announcer was Pete Gillen, former Virginia, Xavier and Providence HC. IMO, I don't believe Gillen initially saw the slight push-off from UAB's guard nor Harper impeding the UAB guard's forward progress. Charging indeed was the correct call confirmed via the replay, not the initial camera view. I just believe Gillen reacted to the initial camera view.

Archived