Men vs UAB

tgrogan21

It seems in FB we have made backup QB's look like Heisman candidates for years now.

I'm beginning to get that feeling about playing underhyped teams with "poor" 3 point shooting.

Without looking at the stats, it feels like the last three teams 3 pt shooting has come to life against us, making the games a lot closer than expected.

Add that to an offense that has consisted of standing around for 25 seconds of the shot clock instead of running the O and working for a good shot, and it appears we are trying to get back to Barbee's, much loathed dribble drive O.  I hope that CBP is working on a specific part of the overall gameplan headed into conference play, but i can't figure out what that would be.

Glad to have the W.  Just ready to hit on all cylinders again.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Nope. cole can't move on. He has to opine the defense was "horrible," when the factual defensive stats say otherwise.

The defense wasn't good...at all. We were slow on rotations, we couldn't cut off a drive, and our weakside help was just about non-existent.  We had slow hands and didn't play the passing lanes very well. Also, Our block outs we're sloppy and lazy

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

The defense wasn't good...at all. We were slow on rotations, we couldn't cut off a drive, and our weakside help was just about non-existent.  We had slow hands and didn't play the passing lanes very well. Also, Our block outs we're sloppy and lazy

Any chance they are tired?

Are they still doing preseason type running and lifting?  Maybe looking to rest more as the conference season starts up?

54 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Any chance they are tired?

Are they still doing preseason type running and lifting?  Maybe looking to rest more as the conference season starts up?

Extremely doubtful that they were tired. 

We certainly did not create the turnovers we usually do.....i'm not sure why that was. And we had some break downs for sure and Brown had a really bad one where the guy ran right around him. UAB was basically doing hand offs and not passes so there is no lane to get in. UAB ran off about 10 points in the last minute of the game hitting well guarded 3s. Without those we hold them under 30% on 3s and under 60 points. Not great but not terrible. Maybe i'm getting soft but i think a lot of you are way overstating how bad we played versus how well UAB executed a gameplan. 

Hoping the team redeems itself against NC State.  

59 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Brown had a really bad one where the guy ran right around him. 

That was atrocious D

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

No, the accumulation of bad plays do.

Also think there were some good defensive plays though. You sound like you think the defense was terrible all night. I didn’t really get that. Thought it was pretty average. Lots of bad plays but lots of well-defended shots. UAB had a few open shots they shouldn’t have had but they also hit a lot of contested shots. We’ll improve. Our best game last season other than the Bama game at home was maybe the Tennessee game, our first conference game. 

What I don't understand is people saying uab played outside of their mind.....(they didn't) but at the same time saying we played great defense.......how does that even makes sense? Hilarious to think they had to play the best they will ever play this season to take us to overtime.......really?  Come on get real.

And UAB has a far stronger case saying we were lucky than them. Likelihood of Harper shooting that well from the free throw could be considered lucky. Some of time calls we got could be considered lucky.

It's just so arrogant to say them hitting a 3 ball is lucky and their shots are circus shots yet were a excellent shooting team but didn't show it......we're not a great shooting team.....we're decent. We're a volume shooting team that didn't have the volume because they slowed the game down.....which they shouldn't be able to without a big man mind you.......you know why they were able to do it?

Because we didn't play good defense!!!!! That's the only other way to dictate pace. We didn't play our pace nobody can argue that right? Then how come? Things happen for a reason. Seem like you all just want this to be a blip and say luck......that's not how basketball work though

On 12/16/2018 at 3:02 PM, ClaytonAU said:

Truly amazing that someone who knows basketball better than a lot of others on this site can sound so much like an insufferable knowitall at the same time. 

On 12/15/2018 at 9:41 PM, cole256 said:

They had one or two guys get hot....they are 8/26 come on man....our defense is horrible tonight

Because I said this I get that......and then the passive aggressive likes. Sooner or later you have to look in the mirror and decide you're not going to act like a child merely because someone disagrees with you. 

If I had bashed anybody or even be condescending ok. But because I don't agree and literally explain why I don't, it's not fair to make posts like you're some sort of victim then the 4 or 5 other people who's feelings were hurt from months to years ago can come in and pile on.....

In this situation you're more of a know it all than I. You are damn near how dare you disagree with me.

7 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

You sound like you think the defense was terrible all night. 

No, there were some good plays. That said, me criticising them is not a bad thing. I guarantee they are doing the same thing and I'm very sure they weren't pleased with their defensive performance.

A lot of the defensive breakdowns were either due to lack of focus or lack of effort/laziness.  We should've won by double digits, but once again, allowed the opponent to dictate the game rather than imposing our will.

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

What I don't understand is people saying uab played outside of their mind.....(they didn't) but at the same time saying we played great defense.......how does that even makes sense? Hilarious to think they had to play the best they will ever play this season to take us to overtime.......really?  Come on get real.

And UAB has a far stronger case saying we were lucky than them. Likelihood of Harper shooting that well from the free throw could be considered lucky. Some of time calls we got could be considered lucky.

It's just so arrogant to say them hitting a 3 ball is lucky and their shots are circus shots yet were a excellent shooting team but didn't show it......we're not a great shooting team.....we're decent. We're a volume shooting team that didn't have the volume because they slowed the game down.....which they shouldn't be able to without a big man mind you.......you know why they were able to do it?

Because we didn't play good defense!!!!! That's the only other way to dictate pace. We didn't play our pace nobody can argue that right? Then how come? Things happen for a reason. Seem like you all just want this to be a blip and say luck......that's not how basketball work though

They did play out of their mind for the last minute of the game and that is how they is how they got it to overtime. AU had a steady 9 point lead for the last couple minutes and they just kept hitting crazy 3s. 

You know why i think we played decent defense? Cause 4-22 was what we shot from 3 point range. A team that relies on the 3 point shot like we do does not win a basketball game while shooting sub 20% from 3 and not have at least decent defense. 

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

Because I said this I get that......and then the passive aggressive likes. Sooner or later you have to look in the mirror and decide you're not going to act like a child merely because someone disagrees with you. 

If I had bashed anybody or even be condescending ok. But because I don't agree and literally explain why I don't, it's not fair to make posts like you're some sort of victim then the 4 or 5 other people who's feelings were hurt from months to years ago can come in and pile on.....

In this situation you're more of a know it all than I. You are damn near how dare you disagree with me.

This was two days ago, move on.

12 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

This was two days ago, move on.

You should delete your post, somebody may disagree with you again and you don't want to kick them passive aggressively

38 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You should delete your post, somebody may disagree with you again and you don't want to kick them passive aggressively

Cole, I can tell you’re really reaching for an argument that you’re not gonna get from me. Seriously bro, move on the game was two days ago and you’re still upset about one post I made. 

1 minute ago, ClaytonAU said:

Cole, I can tell you’re really reaching for an argument that you’re not gonna get from me. Seriously bro, move on the game was two days ago and you’re still upset about one post I made. 

I don't want an argument. I would like you to say you were wrong but I doubt it, I know how pride can be. I'm not upset at all though, I do get tired for being lied on and such. But I posted what I posted because it's the truth you wrote all that because I didn't agree with you. That's hypocritical so I addressed it. That's all. We can keep on chugging, I'm one of the few it seems that don't hold grudges because somebody disagrees with me. Long as people are cordial I'm cool with it. Have a great day bro

JMO but maybe the question to ask......do you think Bruce was satisfied with the performance of the team?   

I'm thinking he might have blistered some folks for how they played on both ends of the floor.  :dunno:     

i dont think there is any way he can be satisfied.  i also think he isnt satisfied with the way he coached either.  i think the uab game was possibly our worst game of the year so far.  i worry about the next 2 games.  im looking forward to the pregame writeups as i dont know squat about nc state (other than they have a good record and are spanking people at home) and murray state (other than they have a really good guard).  home against mur st should help us although that will be a sparse crowd.  hope the locals will come out and support.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

JMO but maybe the question to ask......do you think Bruce was satisfied with the performance of the team?   

I'm thinking he might have blistered some folks for how they played on both ends of the floor.  :dunno:     

Like stated before me if it was me I'd be frustrated at myself if I was the coach He had to see this coming, so he either thought that they wouldn't be able to dictate pace (which I think) or they weren't smart enough to do it. I said in another post only two ways to do it is run your offense through your post players and make a bunch of passes without turnovers. He probably thought we'd be creating turnovers, but we didn't. I personally think we didn't play great defense. But it looks like only me and Bird share that opinion

I only saw the end of the game....but watching UAB drain those 3s with the game on the line and AU depending on Harper to pretty much win it by himself....:dunno:  That was enough to cast doubt on how we played.    

SO the big guys still trying to hit 3 point shots ?...Spencer shooting goose eggs and AM with 26 shots.    JMO but when is BP gonna impose a little discipline on that issue.?  

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Like stated before me if it was me I'd be frustrated at myself if I was the coach He had to see this coming, so he either thought that they wouldn't be able to dictate pace (which I think) or they weren't smart enough to do it. I said in another post only two ways to do it is run your offense through your post players and make a bunch of passes without turnovers. He probably thought we'd be creating turnovers, but we didn't. I personally think we didn't play great defense. But it looks like only me and Bird share that opinion

Bruce said he was pleased with the defense in the 1st half, not so pleased with the second half .  He mentioned point production was not so important with some as what happened on the floor when you came in off the bench.  Did we gain or lose during your time and were your contributions positive or detrimental to the team. 

Archived