Coaching Staff Changes?

WarEagle1982

2 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Could someone explain how is it that a team from the power 5 is only able to sign 5 offensive linemen in 2 years? In 2018, Auburn signed 2 and in 2019, Auburn signs 3.

Good place to start

Link

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Could someone explain how is it that a team from the power 5 is only able to sign 5 offensive linemen in 2 years? In 2018, Auburn signed 2 and in 2019, Auburn signs 3.

Mikey can. PM him

It would be nice to get a straight answer. It doesn't seem hard for teams like Alabama, Georgia, LSU and Clemson to sign offensive linemen in big numbers.

On 2/7/2019 at 5:13 PM, Beaker said:

Truth is, JB  isn't making connections, thus the relationships aren't being built.

We've always heard that building relationships takes time. Grimes hasn't been here long enough this go around to do that. Maybe he will succeed at recruiting, maybe not but to date the jury is still out. Lets see what the next two OL classes look like, then will be the time to criticize or praise. Five years ago over half to people on this board wanted Garner fired because he was a "poor recruiter".

On 2/10/2019 at 5:29 PM, bigbird said:

Mikey can. PM him

I suggest you PM @bigbird and ask him how a team that's only signing 2 or 3 OL guys a year currently has 18 scholarship OL players on the team. (That includes the 3 signees.)

weird how 3 of them were d-line recruits and  another a transfer, which then gets you to 14 divided by 5 equals 2.8 recruits a year.

2 more signed with significant injuries slowing development.

1 had to deal with cancer.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

We've always heard that building relationships takes time. Grimes hasn't been here long enough this go around to do that. Maybe he will succeed at recruiting, maybe not but to date the jury is still out. Lets see what the next two OL classes look like, then will be the time to criticize or praise. Five years ago over half to people on this board wanted Garner fired because he was a "poor recruiter".

I remember  a member AUH1 (I think) was really down on Garner. Whatever happened to that poster?

On 2/10/2019 at 3:29 PM, CR said:

The ignore feature is incredible for forum enjoyment. I suggest the Mods do a list of most ignored users to complement the most popular contributors list.

On 2/10/2019 at 4:43 PM, auburn4ever said:

Could someone explain how is it that a team from the power 5 is only able to sign 5 offensive linemen in 2 years? In 2018, Auburn signed 2 and in 2019, Auburn signs 3. Oh by the way, Auburn has only signed 10 OL in the last 4 years. With signing those those, I bet you more 8-5 records are coming.

Right on cue.

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 5:43 PM, auburn4ever said:

Could someone explain how is it that a team from the power 5 is only able to sign 5 offensive linemen in 2 years? .

Nope.

So any news of possible coaching changes upcoming? Perhaps a replacement for Brown?

I mean I get that the needs of the OL are a top priority, but as this is a coaching change thread...

2 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

So any news of possible coaching changes upcoming? Perhaps a replacement for Brown?

I mean I get that the needs of the OL are a top priority, but as this is a coaching change thread...

f.jpg

4 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

Right on cue.

I actually don't ignore 4ever. The entertainment value is too good to pass up.

1 hour ago, CR said:

I actually don't ignore 4ever. The entertainment value is too good to pass up.

His posts are so profound it’s scary! 😝 

I've seen where some have advocated for Jerraud Powers to fill the DB coaching position.   I have no opinion either way on the hire or on Auburn alum as coaches but was wondering why Powers would get more mentions than Zac Etheridge who appears to have more experience coaching and recruiting?   

On 2/18/2019 at 8:14 AM, Mikey said:

You are most certainly right - takes time.  

Fantasy land:   If I were the coach and my butt was on the hot seat -  I prob have 2 yrs....I would make the change and try to hire a great, young(er) coach who I think could build a relationship very quickly by having age in common.  

And maybe that is what Kendall Simmons is supposed to help with.  That makes a lot of sense.  Simmons and Grimes tag team recruiting while Grimes is the coach.   

I will say this about OL recruiting. It is probably the hardest position to recruit . The hit/miss numbers on potential OLs are unimaginable. Very seldom do you get a guy coming in that is ready especially for D1 P5 or SEC competition. Because of that a lot of Star high school OLs don’t make the switch or make it late. I think our last 5 star OT was like that. I actually think he will go elsewhere and be sucessful by his junior or senior year. Chad Slade was a 3 star who took a couple of years here to develope now he is playing on Sundays. We fuss about coaches but a lot of time it’s about the players getting bigger and stronger and learning technique that he wasn’t taught in high school. The other thing is on the OL there has to be trust between the players and to get that it takes playing together for a while. Also buy it or not, the offense we run, especially fast paced may not be a favorite with 300 pound guys. AU really plays more guards than OTs with our type offense. So even though someone lined up at OT he may play more run than pass blocking. Don’t get me wrong we need to do better recruiting and teaching than we are but it’s not easy. I haven’t looked at it but I’m pretty sure that uat and uga both have a good share of OLs that don’t pan out as they hoped either. Just my thoughts.

23 hours ago, toddc said:

His posts are so profound it’s scary! 😝 

Not you, Todd...Him.

Image result for captain obvious

58 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Not you, Todd...Him.

Image result for captain obvious

Your gif says exactly what I meant! 😆 

4 hours ago, Beaker said:

And maybe that is what Kendall Simmons is supposed to help with.  That makes a lot of sense.  Simmons and Grimes tag team recruiting while Grimes is the coach.

Simmons isn't an on-field coach and thus cannot recruit off campus. He can have plenty of contact once a recruit gets to Auburn on a visit, but he cannot go into homes, schools, etc. to visit prospects.

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

Simmons isn't an on-field coach and thus cannot recruit off campus. He can have plenty of contact once a recruit gets to Auburn on a visit, but he cannot go into homes, schools, etc. to visit prospects.

ok......great.   😨   I was thinking he could help.    

Thanks for the insight.  

Archived