2019 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

29 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I know I went to Auburn but my oldest son went to Arkansas because he got in-state tuition. My youngest is local in a Junior college but has had a couple of scholarship offers to play rugby if he keeps his grades up till fall of 2019.

That's awesome! I ended up at UCF and outside of Auburn I wouldn't go anywhere else. Amazing campus, area, and upcoming programs. Plus I got to wrestle for another 4 years.

To keep it on topic a little so we don't get flagged down by the E-nforcer lol...

Sheffield should be announcing this weekend or withing the week. Anything other than AU would be extremely surprising to me. BCW doesn't always have immediate commits but should put us into play for some ginormous cats. Our 6 current commits will be animals on the prowl there.

• Like 3

Pretty sure we will sign a minimum of 4 OL this year, probably 5. We have not signed that many the last couple of years. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Samau said:

Pretty sure we will sign a minimum of 4 OL this year, probably 5. We have not signed that many the last couple of years. 

Here's hoping! One in each position would be cool.

7 hours ago, Zeek said:

That's awesome! I ended up at UCF and outside of Auburn I wouldn't go anywhere else. Amazing campus, area, and upcoming programs. Plus I got to wrestle for another 4 years.

To keep it on topic a little so we don't get flagged down by the E-nforcer lol...

Sheffield should be announcing this weekend or withing the week. Anything other than AU would be extremely surprising to me. BCW doesn't always have immediate commits but should put us into play for some ginormous cats. Our 6 current commits will be animals on the prowl there.

Gotta be honest. I clicked "Like" after your 2nd paragraph. Fortunately, your 3rd paragraph held serve.

Like @lionheartkc was saying, I can't remember a time when we've had 3 guys like Nix, Pappoe and Pickens committed this early. And Clark and Simpson are working their butts off for us, too. We've had a Gatewood or a Lawson pull the trigger early for us, but we've got #1-in-the-country-at-his-position, alpha/leader *caliber guys on both sides of the ball. I could be forgetting, but I don't remember a situation like that. Very exciting. 

*Caliber as in Nix may or may not be the #1 guy at his position, but you can't tell me there's a guy who's clearly better than him. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Caliber as in Nix may or may not be the #1 guy at his position, but you can't tell me there's a guy who's clearly better than him. 

Nix actually is #1 dual-threat and only .0136 points behind his pro-style rival who, at 6'3-180, better hope he never has to run (considering he's committed to Oklahoma, he better be stronger than his stats reflect or hitting the gym hard if he plans to replace Mayfield). 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, roe4christ said:

Do we expect to get any more commits between now and Big Cat Weekend?  If so, who do you think is a possibility?  Things are shaping up nicely.  Hoping BCW will add to the class as well.

11 hours ago, WFE12 said:

4* ATH Jashawn Sheffield is likely to commit this week and who knows there might be a surprise commit. BCW might spawn a recruit.

Not this week. More like the next 2 weeks. Also to answer Roe's original question high 3* TE Luke Deal has become a major target & AU is in position to land him when he commits on May 25th.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Samau said:

We got 5 in 2017 w/ Ashley, Troxell, Brahms plus grad transfers Casey Dunn & Wilson Bell.

9 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Nix actually is #1 dual-threat and only .0136 points behind his pro-style rival who, at 6'3-180, better hope he never has to run (considering he's committed to Oklahoma, he better be stronger than his stats reflect or hitting the gym hard if he plans to replace Mayfield). 

Nix is essentially a pro style QB. Of the 3 sites 247 is the only one who still lists him as a dual. FWIW id 247 didn't rate him so low Bo would be the #1 rated QB overall right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Nix is essentially a pro style QB. Of the 3 sites 247 is the only one who still lists him as a dual. FWIW id 247 didn't rate him so low Bo would be the #1 rated QB overall right now.

I can see why they list him as a dual, even though he doesn't run a lot. Not only does he have some pretty decent straight line speed, but he's also got more weight on his frame than most of his QB class, which leads you to believe he may be one of the stronger overall recruits at his position.  Of course, I can also see why the other sites don't list him as dual based on his film.

15 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We got 5 in 2017 w/ Ashley, Troxell, Brahms plus grad transfers Casey Dunn & Wilson Bell.

Technically, I think Hamm counted in that years class as well. It was a good one and one we need to replicate this year for sure. 

25 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Agreed, he has the ability to escape the pocket better than Stidham but I don't think he'll be a Nick Marshall by any stretch of the imagination. Rattler definitely isn't better than Nix imo.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Agreed, he has the ability to escape the pocket better than Stidham but I don't think he'll be a Nick Marshall by any stretch of the imagination. Rattler definitely isn't better than Nix imo.

If you look at the top half of the starting QBs in the NFL, I would guess that most of them wouldn't qualify as dual-threat, but would qualify as mobile, such as you're describing. Rodgers, Brees, Carr, Wentz, Winston, Stafford, Roethlisberger... guys who can keep plays alive, create, throw on the run and chew up free yards running when they're there. (Ok, so maybe Big Ben is just hard to get on the ground.) Manning, Brady, Ryan... we're not going to see as many of those guys going forward I don't think. The #1 pick in this past draft fits that same mobile-but-not-dual-threat mold. Jackson, Newton, Marshall, Watson, Wilson, Mariota... Willis? I hope we keep getting those guys when they happen, but I don't think we should or will require one for our offense to function. 

TL;DR- WOO HOO BO NIX

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Technically, I think Hamm counted in that years class as well. It was a good one and one we need to replicate this year for sure. 

I think you are right although I'm not sure.

30 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Agreed, he has the ability to escape the pocket better than Stidham but I don't think he'll be a Nick Marshall by any stretch of the imagination.

Exactly. Not a true dual you are going to center a speed option or power option offense around.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

If you look at the top half of the starting QBs in the NFL, I would guess that most of them wouldn't qualify as dual-threat, but would qualify as mobile, such as you're describing. Rodgers, Brees, Carr, Wentz, Winston, Stafford, Roethlisberger... guys who can keep plays alive, create, throw on the run and chew up free yards running when they're there. (Ok, so maybe Big Ben is just hard to get on the ground.) Manning, Brady, Ryan... we're not going to see as many of those guys going forward I don't think. The #1 pick in this past draft fits that same mobile-but-not-dual-threat mold. Jackson, Newton, Marshall, Watson, Wilson, Mariota... Willis? I hope we keep getting those guys when they happen, but I don't think we should or will require one for our offense to function. 

TL;DR- WOO HOO BO NIX

I chuckled a little at the Roethlisberger part. He's a tank that shifts slightly to the left and somehow guys fly by him. Love his ability to evade pressure.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

TL;DR- WOO HOO BO NIX

With due respect the NFL is a passing league & likely always will be given the size & strength of professional defensive players. Your best passers are going to be the forefront most of the time whether they are mobile or not.

Just now, ellitor said:

With due respect the NFL is a passing league & likely always will be given the size & strength of professional defensive players. Your best passers are going to be the forefront most of the time whether they are mobile or not.

Agree. It's my guess, though, is that youth and high school leagues are looking at the position slightly differently- and kids are becoming more athletic in general- so that the QBs available to the NFL are now really good passers who are also mobile.

Of course, that might have been the case 10 and 20 years ago, too, and I just remember it differently. Goodness knows Steve Young and John Elway were mobile, and Randall Cunningham was straight up dual-threat. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I chuckled a little at the Roethlisberger part. He's a tank that shifts slightly to the left and somehow guys fly by him. Love his ability to evade pressure.

Hah! Well said.

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Agree. It's my guess, though, is that youth and high school leagues are looking at the position slightly differently- and kids are becoming more athletic in general- so that the QBs available to the NFL are now really good passers who are also mobile.

Of course, that might have been the case 10 and 20 years ago, too, and I just remember it differently. Goodness knows Steve Young and John Elway were mobile, and Randall Cunningham was straight up dual-threat. 

well-done.gif

• Like 1

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-recruiting-gus-malzahn-special-2019-class

I especially like the part where Noah Cain refers to we when speaking of the 2019 class at Auburn!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, toddc said:

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-recruiting-gus-malzahn-special-2019-class

I especially like the part where Noah Cain refers to we when speaking of the 2019 class at Auburn!

Dang... that's a spoiler if I ever saw one. Wonder when he's been asked to make it public (or at least more public than he just did).  Funny how we're not even on his crystal ball list.

Edited by lionheartkc

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Dang... that's a spoiler if I ever saw one. Wonder when he's been asked to make it public (or at least more public than he just did).  Funny how we're not even on his crystal ball list.

If we get Noah Cain I'll build a Gus Bus in homage and put myself on it lol

He's my biggest want in this class right next to Booth

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, toddc said:

The part of the article w/ Cain's quotes are from are from 2-3 months ago at minimum. Quite a bit may have changed since then. For example, Texas is believed to lead now.

Edited by ellitor
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

Well you are correct I should have said we haven't signed many Freshman OL. As you pointed out Dunn and Bell were Grad transfers. But they do not stay long. Dunn and Bell will be gone after next year. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Samau said:

Well you are correct I should have said we haven't signed many Freshman OL. As you pointed out Dunn and Bell were Grad transfers. But they do not stay long. Dunn and Bell will be gone after next year.

They are already gone. Both were one-and-done grad transfers.