2019 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

On 5/9/2018 at 4:42 AM, ellitor said:

Yep. I've never had an issue with it.

When I do a projection, it’s adding every individual score for a total of 500+ points. It like the formula that they’ve always used isn’t working.

8 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

When I do a projection, it’s adding every individual score for a total of 500+ points. It like the formula that they’ve always used isn’t working.

are you doing it 1 player at a time or a group of players at once?

2 local prospects visit Auburn over weekend

Auburn hosted two local prospects over the weekend that likely will generate some fan interest.

Let’s start with the slightly less local prospect: defensive tackle Corrie Hutcherson from Birmingham.

The 6-foot-5, 265-pound George Washington Carver (Ala.) lineman holds offers from Ole Miss, Purdue, Arkansas State, Florida Atlantic, Troy and UAB. He has the frame to build on, but Auburn has yet to offer.

Defensive line coach Rodney Garner likes to get his eyes on recruits as often as possible. It allows him to see how prospects develop physically, which is one of the toughest tasks defensive line coaches have to deal with. It likely won’t be the last time Hutcherson visits Auburn, as the Tigers continue to evaluate defensive linemen.

There are prospects ahead of Hutcherson on the Tigers’ board for now, but he’s a down-the-line possibility.

As for prospect No. 2, some people might say this is burying the lede.

The second key visitor on Saturday was Auburn High (Ala.) outside linebacker Mohamoud Diabate. He’s one of the best pass rushers in the country, has already been invited to The Opening Finals, ranks as one of the best 150 players in the country and — what’s important to most Auburn people — is right in the program’s backyard.

There hasn’t been much traction between Auburn and Diabate since his recruitment took off.

Diabate has been offered by the following teams (buckle up): Alabama, Florida State, Florida, Louisville, LSU, Michigan, Mississippi State, Georgia Tech, Memphis, Nebraska, South Carolina, Texas A&M, UCF, Vanderbilt, Virginia and Wake Forest.

Auburn has been noticeably absent from that list for a while — to the ire of many outside the program who view Diabate as the perfect fit for the Buck position in Kevin Steele’s defense.

According to Diabate, that hasn’t changed since his visit over the weekend.

It seems odd, given Diabate’s national status. One explanation just might be that Auburn plans to take one Buck in the 2019 class, and the Tigers already have their No. 1 option in mind. Derick Hall from Gulfport, Miss., has been the player Auburn has pursued most consistently at that position.

Edited by ellitor
Cleaned up post & moved Zion part to his thread
  • Thanks 2

Anybody know what is going on with Diabate & Hall? Diabate is at Auburn High and we have no made no effort to recruit him a 4*, while Hall is a 3 * and is in Gulfport, MS? 

doesn't make any sense to me

any ideas?

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Roos said:

Anybody know what is going on with Diabate & Hall? Diabate is at Auburn High and we have no made no effort to recruit him a 4*, while Hall is a 3 * and is in Gulfport, MS? 

any ideas?

Here's one idea. Diabate, like many high school kids, has expressed a strong desire to go to college away from home. If he wants to leave town to go to school, there's not a whole lot of sense in Auburn using resources on him.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Here's one idea. Diabate, like many high school kids, has expressed a strong desire to go to college away from home. If he wants to leave town to go to school, there's not a whole lot of sense in Auburn using resources on him.

Didn’t he visit recently? Left with no offers 

Edited by toddc

9 minutes ago, toddc said:

Didn’t he visit recently? Left with no offers 

Correct, it was an unofficial visit. There is something there, as Simon and Garfunkle once sang: "The details are unavailable to the mortal man". The player and coaches know what the deal is, we fans don't.

It's just my guess that he doesn't want to stay in Auburn for college. I wouldn't have stayed where I was born and raised for college. Who would if they have good options to go elsewhere?

• Facepalm 1

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Correct, it was an unofficial visit. There is something there, as Simon and Garfunkle once sang: "The details are unavailable to the mortal man". The player and coaches know what the deal is, we fans don't.

It's just my guess that he doesn't want to stay in Auburn for college. I wouldn't have stayed where I was born and raised for college. Who would if they have good options to go elsewhere?

He probaly was just stopping by to invite everyone and all the coaches to his grandfathers birthday party coming up that Alan Evans is throwing..........

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Roos said:

any ideas?

AU has tried some w/ Diabate. He has not been interested for the most part so AU hasn't offered.

Derick Hall is a 4* on the composite. Please don't use Rivals rankings as the standard. The composite is the standard as it weiughs all 3 sites equally. Also AU has been on Derick Hall a very long time & had him as their top Buck target for a long time.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

He probaly was just stopping by to invite everyone and all the coaches to his grandfathers birthday party coming up that Alan Evans is throwing..........

I thought it was grandma's party?...Damn! Now I have to get a different present.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Roos said:

Diabate is at Auburn High and we have no made no effort to recruit him

Good

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Actually, that’s just Paul Simon (post-Garfunkel) from “Slip Slidin’ Away”?. One of my favorite songs of all time: heart-breakingly poignant lyrics hidden in a catchy tune. Greatest American songwriter of his generation. Ok, now back to ‘cruitin’, lol.

• Like 2

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-recruiting-mohamoud-diabte-visit

2 local prospects visit Auburn over weekend

Auburn hosted two local prospects over the weekend that likely will generate some fan interest.

Let’s start with the slightly less local prospect: defensive tackle Corrie Hutcherson from Birmingham.

The 6-foot-5, 265-pound George Washington Carver (Ala.) lineman holds offers from Ole Miss, Purdue, Arkansas State, Florida Atlantic, Troy and UAB. He has the frame to build on, but Auburn has yet to offer.

Defensive line coach Rodney Garner likes to get his eyes on recruits as often as possible. It allows him to see how prospects develop physically, which is one of the toughest tasks defensive line coaches have to deal with. It likely won’t be the last time Hutcherson visits Auburn, as the Tigers continue to evaluate defensive linemen.

There are prospects ahead of Hutcherson on the Tigers’ board for now, but he’s a down-the-line possibility.

As for prospect No. 2, some people might say this is burying the lede.

The second key visitor on Saturday was Auburn High (Ala.) outside linebacker Mohamoud Diabate. He’s one of the best pass rushers in the country, has already been invited to The Opening Finals, ranks as one of the best 150 players in the country and — what’s important to most Auburn people — is right in the program’s backyard.

There hasn’t been much traction between Auburn and Diabate since his recruitment took off.

Diabate has been offered by the following teams (buckle up): Alabama, Florida State, Florida, Louisville, LSU, Michigan, Mississippi State, Georgia Tech, Memphis, Nebraska, South Carolina, Texas A&M, UCF, Vanderbilt, Virginia and Wake Forest.

Auburn has been noticeably absent from that list for a while — to the ire of many outside the program who view Diabate as the perfect fit for the Buck position in Kevin Steele’s defense.

According to Diabate, that hasn’t changed since his visit over the weekend.

It seems odd, given Diabate’s national status. One explanation just might be that Auburn plans to take one Buck in the 2019 class, and the Tigers already have their No. 1 option in mind. Derick Hall from Gulfport, Miss., has been the player Auburn has pursued most consistently at that position.

Auburn sets tone for 2020 WR from Louisiana

Daran Branch already thought highly of Auburn. He has even fonder thoughts about the Tigers given the latest twist in his recruitment.

The 2020 wide receiver from Amite, La., held offers from Memphis and Tulane already. Auburn took that to a new level earlier this week when it offered the 6-foot-2, 175-pound prospect. Branch picked up his offer from the Tigers, which immediately catapulted them to the top of his interest list.

“I feel blessed. That gave me a great feeling. One of the biggest offers I have now, so they are at the top of my list right now,” Branch said.

He’s not in a rush, of course, though the fact Auburn offered early matters.

Given his conversation with other coaches, Branch thinks offers could come from Oklahoma State, Arkansas and LSU in the near future. He will take a few camp visits this summer — including Auburn — which likely will enhance the national perception of the 2020 prospect.

Branch has visited Auburn once in the past, he told SEC Country.

• Diabate "visited" and still didn't receive an offer. All but confirms that there is no sense in even discussing his recruitment in regards to Auburn. Not happening.
  • Good to know we're already grinding things out with our 2020 recruiting as well. 6'2" 175 lbs. Sophomore (will be a Junior next year) isn't a bad prospect to go ahead and give an offer to early!
Edited by ellitor
Removed the Zion part since it's already in a thread.

https://auburn.247sports.com/ContentGallery/Road-Report-The-latest-on-Auburn-Tigers-football-recruiting-targets-from-Mississippi--118201683

Warning: Huge article lol

MISSISSIPPI — The mission was clear: Get to as many top prospects in Mississippi in a short period of time as possible. But it wouldn’t be easy. For scheduling purposes, most of the time available came last weekend. And as you know, teenagers often do their own thing when not in school.

Originally, myself and Hank South of Bama Online planned to see 5-star linebacker Nakobe Dean of Horn Lake (Miss.) two Fridays ago. But he was out of town. Another target we wanted to visit, 4-star athlete Brandon Turnage of Oxford Lafayette, had a track meet down near Jackson. That got us off to a bad start. We were 0-for-2 out of the gate.

Saturday morning, our fortunes seemed to turn when 4-star defensive lineman Jaren Handy told us he was headed to Starkville. So were we. But before meeting us, Handy went to Mississippi State to see the football staff. Once there, he had to put us on the back burner. Understood but for us, it was another fail.

Would we continue to strike out or would our fortunes turn? Fortunately, everything worked out.

About 45 minutes from Starkville, we met 4-star Mississippi State defensive end commit Charles Moore at his family’s home. As the rain fell, Moore gave us some great insight into his recruitment. We met his mother and a niece. And as we left, Moore told us, “Hey, next time, I’m cooking for you guys.” Deal.

The hospitality shown to us by Moore was not uncommon on this trip.

Most of the top prospects eschewed their weekend plans to accommodate us and several welcomed us into their homes. In Meridian, Ole Miss defensive end commit Jamond Gordon sat with us in the driveway, let us use his restroom and then emerged with a puppy. Hank happened to mention that his wife loved puppies. At the time, I didn’t think much of it. But a few hours later,

Gordon, remembering that, sent more photos of the puppy for Hank to share with his wife.

Later that day, on the outskirts of tiny Taylorsville (pop. 1,286), we met 4-star defensive end Byron Young and his parents, two of the sweetest people you’ll ever come across. Other members of his family lived in the property around the Young’s yard. They told me they had been there dating back as long as anyone in the family could recall.

While we interviewed Young, word came that tight end Tyler Fromm had committed to Auburn. I wasn’t happy. We were so far out in the country, the signal on my phone was weak. I ran to our rental car, popped open my computer and began pecking away. As the pages took minutes at a time to load, frustration set in. I’m not proud to say, but I punched the steering wheel a few times. While this was happening, Hank kept Young’s parents entertained.

Finally, I finished my story just in time to apologize to Young’s mom and dad before they had to leave. As I went to thank Byron, he showed me the puppies his dog had recently had. While they huddled around this 6-feet-4, 285-pound mountain of a man, I decided to get some photos.

As the day ended, we felt were back on path. But Sunday in a state where so many go to church would present some challenges.

Sunday morning, we reached Handy, who this time agreed to meet us at his family’s home in New Augusta, which is about 20 miles southeast of Hattiesburg. At about the same time, 4-star buck Derrick Hall said he’d be free early in afternoon down in the coastal town of Gulfport. It was risky. We previously planned to meet up with 4-star defensive end Nathan Pickering near Collins, just northwest of Hattiesburg, late in the afternoon. If we went to Gulfport, we would have a small window there.

We decided to chance it — and it worked out great. Hall, his mother and grandmother were as welcoming as could be. They seemed surprised -- and humbled -- we had come so far to interview their son. Hall talked football with us, but also academics. He wants to be an engineer. His mom makes sure he doesn’t slack in class, he told us. Not long after we were back on the road, Hall sent us a “thank you” message, something that just doesn’t happen much.

A couple hours later, outside of a Huddle House in Collins, we spent time with Pickering, his mother, his sister and her son. His mother mentioned that she was from nearby Jones County and that her parents, her grand-parents, great-grandparents and more had called Jones County home for at least a couple centuries.

From there, we were off to Batesville, about an hour south of Memphis, to get some rest. During the trip, our mutual affection for history had us checking Wikipedia often to get acquainted with the state’s past, the good and the bad. So immersed in learning about Mississippi, not once did we even turn on the radio. The state’s beauty and charm is underrated, we concluded, and we particularly were fond of the tree-lined drive north of Jackson on Interstate 55.

Monday morning, we made up for our two earlier misses by grabbing Dean and teammate Raydarious Jones at Horn Lake, then getting Turnage over in Oxford. Then we headed to Alabama. When all was said and done, we had gone down and up the length of the state and zig-zagged our way 1,002 miles on the roads in Mississippi.

We learned a great deal about the recruitments of several top prospects, we ate great meals in great towns and learned much about the state and its people. We hope it becomes and annual trip.

To the prospects of Mississippi, thank you.

Here’s a quick recap from the road ….

SLIDE 1 / 9 -

6_8367348.jpg Tigers target Charles Moore and his family. (Photo: Keith Niebuhr, 247Sports)

-Four-star DE Charles Moore of Louisville: Moore, a top-100 national recruit, is committed to Mississippi State but says Auburn is right there. He has visited the Tigers twice this year and will return June 2 for Big Cat Weekend. It feels like Moore will be tough to flip, but worth nothing, his father is doing electrical contracting work right now in Opelika.

SLIDE 2 / 9 -

6_8378953.JPG Ole Miss commit Jamond Gordon. (Photo: Keith Niebuhr, 247Sports)

-Three-star DE Jamond Gordon of Meridian: An Ole Miss commit, Gordon seems firm. But he said if one team has a shot to knock off the Rebels it would be Auburn. He visited the Tigers earlier this year and plans to return for Big Cat Weekend.

SLIDE 3 / 9 -

6_8378963.jpg Byron Young (center) with his parents. (Photo: Keith Niebuhr , 247Sports)

-Four-star DE Byron Young of West Jones: Right now, Alabama leads but Jones visited Auburn earlier this year and hopes to return. He's high on defensive line coach Rodney Garner.

SLIDE 4 / 9 -

6_8364371.jpeg Jaren Handy. (Photo: Keith Niebuhr, 247Sports)

-4-star defensive end Jaren Handy of New Augusta Perry Central: Handy has Alabama in the No. 2 spot but wouldn't say who his No. 1 is. There's a chance it could be Auburn, which he plans to visit again June 2. According to Handy there is just something different about Auburn that he likes.

SLIDE 5 / 9 -

6_8364257.jpgDerick Hall is high on Auburn. (Photo: Keith Niebuhr , 247Sports)

-Four-star buck linebacker Derick Hall of Gulfport: Hall has Auburn and Mississippi State on top and it could go either way. He has visited the Tigers three times year and plans to return Big Cat Weekend. According to Hall, Auburn’s Gus Malzahn is his favorite college head coach.

SLIDE 6 / 9 -

6_8378990.JPG Nathan Pickering with his family. (Photo: Keith Niebuhr , 247Sports)

-Four-star defensive end Nathan Pickering, Seminary: Pickering says a lot of good things about Auburn, but has only visited the Tigers once and it seems like he may be leaning elsewhere at this time. Keep an eye on Alabama, LSU and the in-state schools. The good news for Auburn: He hopes to visit again at some point.

SLIDE 7 / 9 -

6_8366614.jpg 5-star LB Nakobe Dean. (Photo: Keith Niebuhr , 247Sports)

-Five-star linebacker Nakobe Dean, Horn Lake: Dean has no official leader but said he mostly likely will end up in the SEC. Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Mississippi State and Ole Miss are in the mix with the Tigers. Possibly Stanford, too. He’s a straight-A student. Georgia may be a sleeper here. Auburn secondary coach Marcus Woodson not only is recruiting Dean, but his mother. Sources tell us she has a big role in this recruitment.

SLIDE 8 / 9 -

6_8376623.jpg Raydarious Jones, CB. (Photo: Keith Niebuhr , 247Sports)

-Three-star cornerback Raydarious Jones, Horn Lake: Jones is wide open right now but is high on Auburn. His chances of ending up with the Tigers will be greatly determined by how hard Auburn recruits him. With two corners already committed, spots are at a premium. That could push him elsewhere.

SLIDE 9 / 9 -

6_8369435.jpg Bama commit Brandon Turnage. (Photo: Keith Niebuhr , 247Sports)

-Four-star defensive back Brandon Turnage of Oxford Lafayette: The Alabama commit visited Auburn earlier this year and could return. Right now, he's talking up the Tide a good bit. But if something should happen with that commitment, Auburn potentially could become a factor. Also keep an eye on Ole Miss.

Lots of good updates, but mostly stuff we already know. War Eagle and hopefully our Mississippi connections will pull through and extend our pipeline a little further.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Zeek Please look in a thread before post an article. WFE posted the SEC Country article you just posted yesterday near the top of this page.

Edited by ellitor

20 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@Zeek Please look in a thread before post an article. WFE posted the SEC Country article you just posted yesterday near the top of this page.

Will do, usually I stay pretty up to date with the thread but I must have missed a few pages recently lol

On 5/11/2018 at 3:04 PM, McLoofus said:
On 5/11/2018 at 2:48 PM, Zeek said:

Wow! I honestly would not have ever imagined this but it's exciting nonetheless. War Eagle Gus

Right?!? We've heard it before from a couple recruits gravitating towards our down home family farm vibe, but to see Gus's effort and personality listed as a primary reason this class is shaping up so nicely is really exciting to me. 

From everything I've heard, he's totally different 1-on-1 than he is in front of a mic. Kinda makes me want to meet him outside of a football event.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

From everything I've heard, he's totally different 1-on-1 than he is in front of a mic. Kinda makes me want to meet him outside of a football event.

I would love to as well! Maybe I need to try and swing by a waffle house up that way!

It was encouraging to hear from top recruits from Mississippi seem to have a genuine interest in Auburn. Hopefully, several of them will turn the interest into committents.

@ellitor thoughts on 247 dropping Pappoe today? Posts best score at Nike Combine and then gets dropped? You sure there isn’t a conspiracy? 

• Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

@ellitor thoughts on 247 dropping Pappoe today? Posts best score at Nike Combine and then gets dropped? You sure there isn’t a conspiracy? 

Yes & being the best athlete doesn't mean being the best football player. Just look at JF3's college career for example. And look at the the rankings table. It's not about him being dropped 3 meesely spots on 247 only rankings. It's likely about Pickering & 2 others likely having big time 7 on 7 camps and jumping him for the time being. Heck even joking about an Auburn drop has gotten to the point it ticks me off.

• Haha 1

What's the WR board looking like right now? Keyton chooses TN tomorrow....Then what? Haselwood seems like a long shot. We have two targets in Puckett and Jashawn that mainly played wr but are looked at as Safeties. 

17 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

What's the WR board looking like right now? Keyton chooses TN tomorrow....Then what? Haselwood seems like a long shot. We have two targets in Puckett and Jashawn that mainly played wr but are looked at as Safeties. 

Burns visited Sheffield recently so maybe looking at him as an wide receiver more now! 

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-football-recruiting-georgia-high-school-coach-visits

Edited by toddc
  • Sad 1