Zeek

38 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Dunmore gonna be an AU commit real soon

Hopeful but wouldn't count on it yet.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

From Benjamin Wolk's recruiting notebook

Latest on 3 top-100 visitors from weekend

Auburn’s weekend was a busy one. The Tigers added two commitments — Jashawn Sheffield and Justin Osborne — and lost one from Cordale Flott. Auburn hosted Dunmore, who said some interesting things. The Tigers held multiple high school camps.

Auburn wanted to close out with some momentum before the dead period hit Monday.

That wasn’t exclusive to official visitors or the aforementioned on-campus events.

Auburn hosted three big-time unofficial visitors ranked inside the top 100 nationally. Here’s the latest on each.

5-star WR Jadon Haselwood (Georgia commit): He was back at Auburn … yet again. Haselwood’s regularity at Auburn has gotten to the point that I’m losing track of visits he’s taken. It’s around five, which is enough to tell you the interest is real. Haselwood is close friends with new Auburn commit Jashawn Sheffield, so Haselwood wanted to stop by to spend some time with Sheffield on his big day. As one source described it, this one is “going to go 15 rounds” with Georgia. Auburn will continue to recruit Dunmore, Curry and others, but Haselwood is the type of talent you take in December regardless of positional numbers.

4-star LB Rian Davis: Davis made his first visit to Auburn during his recruitment. He’s just starting to build a relationship with linebackers coach Travis Williams. According to one source, Davis is Georgia’s to lose, but Auburn won’t give up the fight. Davis was impressed by Williams and more interested in Auburn than he expected. He told the Auburn staff he will take an official visit in the fall, but based on his heavy Georgia interest, there are some at Auburn who wonder whether that trip will happen. Regardless, Williams did enough on Saturday to make Davis think twice about Auburn, something that hadn’t happened to this point.

4-star ATH Mark-Antony Richards: Richards has always said he’d look long and hard at Auburn. Outside of his expected fall official visit, Richard might’ve taken his biggest look yet over the weekend. He was with his whole family and checked out the whole campus, spent time with coaches and met with a communications professor to discuss the course load for Richards’ desired major. This has been and likely will be a Miami-Auburn battle until the end. With Richards’ brother taking a similar recruiting trajectory — and ultimately landing closer to home at Miami — many believe this will be a tough get. With that said, Auburn’s push for Richards as a running back can make this interesting. In fact, you just might see Richards in my 2019 class projection at the end of the week (which will be my last article for SEC Country).

Offensive line commitment to watch during dead period

The monthlong dead period won’t be completely dead.

Most coaches will take their vacations. Recruits won’t be able to take visits to college campuses. But there still will be plenty of permissible communication between players and coaches — and several players are likely to commit during the down time. Dunmore is one, but there’s another who likely will be in the Tigers class before the dead period ends.

Top guard target Keiondre Jones was, again, at Auburn over the weekend. He stopped by on his way back from a Mississippi State visit to hang out and spend some time with Sheffield (the two are close). Jones has been at Auburn four times in the last five weeks, whether it be on a planned unofficial, an official visit or him just stopping by for fun during a camp.

My Crystal Ball has been in favor of Auburn for a while now, but it’s gotten to the point Jones is ready to end his recruitment. If the Tigers aren’t the choice, it would be stunning.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

You forgot the Dunmore part. Lol. Guess I will put that in his thread.

No I was going to add his part to his thread but you already did.

Just now, WFE12 said:

No I was going to add his part to his thread but you already did.

He was the 1st part. I would have started with him.

5 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

I thought RB Cain was on the same team as Pappoa?

That's for the Under Armour All American game in January.

FWIW I played with the class calculator & added 3 of the guys we supposedly lead with who plan to commit this Summer: John Dunmore, Keiondre Jones, & Colby Wooden. If we get them our score would be 240.62. Good for 4th in the nation. If we also get Andrew Booth who is also tentatively planning to commit this Summer then that would get a score of 254.37. Good for 2nd in the nation as things stand now.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

20 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

Thanks home slice!  

Ahhhh... That takes me back to junior year of high school.  ....in 1988.  Nice!

10 prospects on the cusp of 5-star status entering The Opening

By Barton Simmons

Auburn Football

Auburn's plan at cornerback for the 2019 recruiting class

Updated Jun 28, 7:02 AM; Posted Jun 28, 7:00 AM

Four-star athlete Jaylin Simpson is the only cornerback currently in Auburn's 2019 recruiting class. (Photo courtesy 247Sports)

68 shares

By Tom Green

tgreen@al.com

Editor's note: This is the eighth of a nine-part series analyzing Auburn's position-by-position recruiting wishlist for the 2019 class. 

Marcus Woodson inherited a pretty good situation when he took over part of Auburn's secondary this spring.

Now, the first-year cornerbacks coach will have a chance to get a full recruiting cycle under his belt, with the Tigers expected to sign three cornerbacks in the 2019 class, with a scenario arising in which they could take four at the position this year.

Auburn already has one cornerback committed to the class in four-star athlete Jaylin Simpson, who gave his pledge to the Tigers on April 30, and recently lost a commitment from three-star Saraland product Cordale Flott, who flipped his commitment to LSU during an official visit last weekend.

Still, with the commitment of Simpson, Auburn has a solid foundation for the position heading into the end of summer, with several key targets still on the board and considering the Tigers.

In Simpson, Auburn has a 5-foot-11, 185-pounder out of Saint Simons Island, Ga., who is rated as the No. 24 athlete in the 2019 class, according to the 247Sports Composite rankings. Simpson, who is expected to play corner at Auburn, is also rated as the 35th-best player in Georgia and No. 320 in the country.

The two most likely recruits to fill the other two spots at cornerback for Auburn are four-star prospect Zion Puckett and three-star in-state corner Nehemiah Pritchett.

The 6-foot-1, 190-pound Puckett is listed as a receiver on 247Sports, but Auburn likes him at corner. The Spalding High (Griffin, Ga.) product is rated as the 25th-best player in Georgia and No. 234 in the 2019 class, according to the 247Sports Composite rankings.

Puckett was on campus earlier this month for Big Cat Weekend, when he declared Auburn his top school.

"I believe they are No. 1 for my priority," Puckett said that weekend. "No. 2, I would say right now would be Alabama. What sticks out from Auburn is I feel like this is a good fit for me."

Puckett has an official visit scheduled to the Plains on Oct. 12 for the weekend of the Tennessee game. So far, it's his only scheduled official visit, and Auburn is still considered the favorite to land the four-star athlete's commitment.

Pritchett is a 6-foot, 170-pounder out of Jackson who is rated as the No. 93 cornerback in the 2019 class and the 36th-best player in Alabama this cycle. He was on campus earlier this month for camp, and then a few days later he earned a scholarship offer from the Tigers, who are considered the favorite in this one. He also holds offers from Memphis, Ole Miss, Troy and UAB, among others.

If Auburn lands both Puckett and Pritchett, there is a scenario in which the Tigers take a fourth corner: five-star prospect Andrew Booth.

Booth, the nation's No. 2 corner and the No. 26 player in the 2019 class, is a clear take for Auburn -- though it will have to beat out Clemson, and others, for the Archer High (Lawrenceville, Ga.) star.

Booth has reportedly made multiple visits to the Plains this offseason, including a May 5 unofficial trip, but he has also made at least two trips to Clemson in the last two months or so.

While it should be a tight battle against Clemson for Booth, who is expected to make a decision before the start of his senior season this fall, Auburn has at least one potential factor going for it: Booth's friendship with five-star Auburn linebacker commit Owen Pappoe.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• Thanks 1

The future of Auburn’s Class of 2019

It’s a shame I don’t know whether I’ll be covering Auburn for the rest of this recruiting cycle. It’s shaping up to be a special year for the Tigers, if that hasn’t already become clear. My first two cycles at Auburn were consistently marred by the lingering question: Will Malzahn still be the Tigers coach next year? The answer was always yes, but understandably, college football recruits were affected by that unknown.

Malzahn’s offseason deal — regardless of how fans feel about the specifics — gave Auburn recruiting the lifeblood it needed for the Class of 2019. As one assistant coach put it on National Signing Day: “This next class is going to be top 5, just watch.” The verdict is still out on that, but the Tigers are on the right path.

As I ink my final article for SEC Country, Auburn sits at 12 commitments. That number will likely rise to 17 or so by the end of summer and give the Tigers some flexibility heading into the season. By National Signing Day, that number will move to the 24 or 25 range.

Recruiting coverage thrives off the prediction business, so I’d be remiss not to give you a little something something on the way out. Here are the 10 names of players who will 100 percent without a doubt be in Auburn’s class by the end of the 2019 cycle. (It’s easy to say that on my way out where you might not be able to hold me accountable for my freezing cold takes, but let’s be real. It’s recruiting, and there are no 100 percent certainties.)

Without further ado, here are those 10 players who I project to be future Auburn Tigers.

• 4-star OL Keiondre Jones
  • 3-star DL Colby Wooden
  • 4-star CB Zion Puckett
  • 3-star CB Nehemiah Pritchett
  • 4-star WR Jalen Curry
  • 4-star WR John Dunmore
  • 5-star CB Andrew Booth
  • 4-star DL Charles Moore
  • 4-star ATH Mark-Antony Richards
  • 4-star LB Kalen Deloach

There were a couple of expected picks in there and a few surprises. Since I won’t have any additional articles here, if you’d like to call me out on any misses or ask me any questions, feel free to drop into my Twitter DMs at @benjaminwolk. Think of my DMs like an Auburn message board until I find my next destination.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:
  • 3-star DL Colby Wooden
  • 4-star CB Zion Puckett
  • 4-star WR Jalen Curry
  • 4-star WR John Dunmore
  • 5-star CB Andrew Booth

Well that would be epic no doubt!

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:
Without further ado, here are those 10 players who I project to be future Auburn Tigers.
  • 3-star DL Colby Wooden
  • 4-star CB Zion Puckett
  • 4-star WR Jalen Curry
  • 4-star WR John Dunmore
  • 5-star CB Andrew Booth

That would make the OP look like this...

QB (1)

4* Bo Nix

RB (1-2)

4* Mark-Anthony Richards
4* Noah Cain
4* John Emery Jr.

4* Derrian Brown
4* Kenny McIntosh
3* Tye Edwards

WR (2-3)

4* George Pickens
4* Jalen Curry
4* John Dunmore

3* Ja'Varrius Johnson
5* Jadon Haselwood (UGA)

TE (2)

3* Tyler Fromm
3* Luke Deal

OT (2)

3* Justin Osborne
5* Devontae Dobbs

4* Warren McClendon
4* Xavier Truss (UGa)
4* Jack Buford (Mizzou)

OG/C (2-3)

4* Keiondre Jones
3* Jakai Clark
5* Clay Webb
4* Deyavie Hammond
4* William Putnam
3* Kingsley Eguakun (Miami)

SDE/DT (3)

4* Jaren Handy
4* Charles Moore (Miss St.)
3* Jamond Gordon

4* Nathan Pickering (Miss St.)
4* Justin Eboigbe (Bama)
4* Jaelin Humphries
4* Braylen Ingraham
3* LeDarrius Cox (Tennessee)

Buck DE/LB (1-2)

3* Colby Wooden
4* Derick Hall

4* Adisa Isaac
4* Curtis Fann

LB (3)

5* Owen Pappoe
4* Kalen DeLoach

5* Nakobe Dean
4* Donte Starks
4* Christian Harris
4* Trezmen Marshall (UGA)
4* Rian Davis

CB (2-3)

5* Andrew Booth
4* Jaylin Simpson
3* Nehemiah Pritchett

4* Zion Puckett

4* Tyrique Stevenson
4* Kaiir Elam
4* Devin Bush
3* Warren Burrell
3* Raydarious Jones

S (1-2)

Soph Kendarian Handy-Holly (Minnesota transfer)
4* Jashawn Sheffield
4* Jaylen McCollough
4* Nick Cross
4* Jalani Williams
3* Jammie Robinson
3* S Kenny Logan

ATH

5* Bru McCoy
3* Trevor Wilson

...which would pretty much leave room for 1 more OT and LB each, and that would actually be a pretty comprehensive class I think? 

• Love 1

That said, we cannot afford to have anywhere close to only one or two OTs in this class. The problem is that we don't want to take crap just because there's a need. Catch 23.

Edited by War to the Eagle