2019 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

4 hours ago, abw0004 said:

@ellitor any concern we should have with us dipping back into the JUCO ranks?  Are guys not developing like we expected?

The reason we need the linebacker is because our 2016 class, which should be juniors in 2018, was a washout. We signed only one that year and now he's gone. Ineffective LB recruiting in 2016 plus one poor evaluation left us with a big hole at LB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Well he in actuality is not a TE. He's a WR. Also since TEs are being used less & less at a lot of levels comparing the "#1" Juco TE is not necessarily the same as the #1 LB or SDE. Every team needs LBs & SDEs. Not every team needs a TE anymore.

Also Sal was the #2 Juco TE, not #1.

B7092DC1-6423-4E74-8CA3-CEFB41E1EE7A.gif

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

Do dudes from the Ville pull for my baby tigers E?

If you're asking about Prattville I do. Not sure about others though. It's a Bama town overall.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

If you're asking about Prattville I do. Not sure about others though. It's a Bama town overall.

Are Prattville and Auburn High still in the same region?   That is why I was asking,  do you pull for AHS players to potentially sign with AU?  

33 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

Are Prattville and Auburn High still in the same region?

Yes

34 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

do you pull for AHS players to potentially sign with AU?

I pull for AU to get the best players the staff sees fit. It's cool when they come from AHS though.

Rivals250 WR has surprise, 'eye-opening' visit to Auburn

Jeffrey Lee

AUBURN | Rivals250 wide receiver

Higgins, from James Bowie in Austin, Texas, made a stop in Auburn on his way from USF to Ole Miss.

“(The visit) was kind of out of nowhere,” Higgins said. “I just called told them I was going to swing by and see how it went.”

Higgins is glad he did.

“I am,” Higgins said. “I’m really glad I came. It went great. I had a great time. I’m really glad I made the stop here. It was a really great experience and eye-opening.”

Higgins spent a lot of time with Auburn coach Gus Malzahn and wide receivers coach Kodi Burns.

“Coach Burns is a great dude, an amazing guy,” Higgins said. “I really enjoyed talking to him. He showed me how they would use me in the offense, as a mismatch guy.”

Higgins plans to announce his commitment before the fall and could return to Auburn before he makes his choice.

“I’ve been really considering making my decision before August or September, before we start high school ball, so I’d like to come back for the Cookout in July,” Higgins said. “That’s something that I’ll really consider. Auburn is definitely a school I’m going to consider and look more into.”

Higgins next will visit Ole Miss and Arkansas before returning to his home in Texas.

Rivals ranks Higgins, who stands 6-foot-3 and weighs 215 pounds, the No. 20 wide receiver in the 2019 class and No. 128 in the Rivals250.

• Thanks 1

It seems like everyday we have another great WR who is thinking about Auburn. The problem is we can only take a few.  For those who used to say Mr. Burns can't recruit I believe he has shutdown that argument. Now I want the next step in Mr Burn's progression a couple of great WR's and Slot receivers showing out this year.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

For those who used to say Mr. Burns can't recruit I believe he has shutdown that argument.

He has grown a lot from his 1st year struggles no doubt but he is getting help with most of his targets from Porter & Chip..

• Thanks 2

I think equally significant in getting attention from top flight WR talent is our QB pipeline.  I am sure some will argue with me, but we haven't had a "pipeline" of talented QBs like this, ever.  Yes, we have had talented QBs, but nothing that rivals: Stidham, Willis, Gatewood and probably the #1 DT QB in the country.....Nix.  

I give Burns all the credit, but look at what he has to work with as he sells Auburn vs. his first year.  

• Like 1

Auburn offers local standout after 7-on-7 tournament

Jeffrey Lee

AUBURN | Auburn extended an offer Thursday to local standout Mohamoud Diabate

The Tigers offered Diabate, who is a senior at Auburn High, after an impressive performance during Gus Malzahn’s 7-on-7 Passing Tournament Championship.

“It felt great,” Diabate said. “I’m glad that it finally happened.”

Malzahn, defensive coordinator Kevin Steele and linebackers coach Travis Williams all watched Diabate throughout the day.

“Coach Malzahn said he was glad to see me work in 7-on-7 so he could see my versatility,” Diabate said. “It meant a lot to me for them to use their time to come watch me because they could have been watching others.”

Auburn is recruiting Diabate to play strongside linebacker.

“I talked with Coach Malzahn a lot,” Diabate said. “And (Williams) said they like me at the ‘Sam.’”

Diabate doesn’t list any favorites and plans to return to Auburn before making a decision.

“I’m taking my time,” he said. “I’ll be back for sure. I only live 10 minutes from here.”

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I think we got one folks...

Possibly someone from the 7-on-7?

3 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Possibly someone from the 7-on-7?

Na. My guess is Jamond Gordon who is at AU but not doing 7 on 7.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

I think we got one folks...

I wonder if Mikey is going to be busting Suddes’ balls about using gifs?....

• Haha 5

34 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5389792

Mikey’s gonna be pissed that you did that but it does look like Suddes. Well played...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

Any idea why AU offered now? WDE had said earlier in the year that AU was getting nowhere with Diabate and AU offered way later than the other big schools. Just seems like odd timing. Would love to have him he's a hell of a player.

10 hours ago, CR said:

Any idea why AU offered now? WDE had said earlier in the year that AU was getting nowhere with Diabate and AU offered way later than the other big schools. Just seems like odd timing. Would love to have him he's a hell of a player.

I like the idea of offering the local kids later.   They have their entire lives to think S out playing for AU.  Maybe a late offer makes them want it more??  Also,. AU likes to see the guys camp so it means something to AU to have Diabate come over and show what he can do.     Who knows,. But I am glad we offered him.   I think he is a real talent.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CR said:

Any idea why AU offered now?

Yes. It's in the article...

18 hours ago, ellitor said:

Coach Malzahn said he was glad to see me work in 7-on-7 so he could see my versatility

From his high school film I gather AHS rarely uses MD in coverage & mainly uses him as a pass rusher. I think the AU staff has seen everything they wanted to from him as a pass rusher & thought other guys were better at that like Derick Hall & Colby Wooden. At 7 on 7s D players aren't rushing the passer. They are strictly in coverage. AU finially got to see & liked MDs coverage skills. That's why we offered him as a Sam backer instead of a Buck pass rusher like many assumed.

Auburn recruiting snapshot

By Keith Niebuhr

Saturday's commitment from defensive end Jamond Gordon of Meridian (Miss.) was a big one for the Tigers. Not only is he the first defensive lineman to jump in the boat for the 2019 class, he's also Auburn's first 2019 pledge from the state of Mississippi. For Auburn, Gordon is commitment No. 10 and it moves the Tigers to No. 19 in the recruiting team rankings.

To say the least, Auburn is well ahead of where it sat a year ago at this time. In fact, in mid-June the Tigers didn't even have a top-50 class. They ended up at No. 12.

With Auburn off to a strong first half of the 2019 recruiting cycle, there is great optimism by the Tigers that this ultimately could be one of the better classes the Tigers have put together during the Gus Malzahn era. In fact, Malzahn himself said last week he's excited about what this group will look like come National Signing Day next February.

But obviously, there is a lot of work to do.

And a lot of spots to fill.

All told, we estimate Auburn will sign somewhere in the 23-24 range ... but the final number never is known until singing day. Programs don't like that info to leak -- plus, transfers and injuries can alter things.

Here's a snapshot at where things stand for the Tigers as of today ….

• Thanks 4

On 6/15/2018 at 12:49 PM, Beaker said:

I think equally significant in getting attention from top flight WR talent is our QB pipeline.  I am sure some will argue with me, but we haven't had a "pipeline" of talented QBs like this, ever.  Yes, we have had talented QBs, but nothing that rivals: Stidham, Willis, Gatewood and probably the #1 DT QB in the country.....Nix.  

I give Burns all the credit, but look at what he has to work with as he sells Auburn vs. his first year.  

Well, I hate to be "that guy", but the 1993 team included Stan White, Patrick Nix, and Dameyune Craig...

• Like 3