2019 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

6 hours ago, AUinGA44 said:

We’ve got a scholarship open,

No we don't. Full up until the class of 2019 can sign. We've used all 25 slots for 2018.

We offered 3* OT Charles Cross from Mississippi yesterday. He attended camp at FSU in mid June & earned an offer from the Noles that day. It may be a battle between AU & FSU to get him to their respective end of July events. If more comes up then a thread will be created on him. Here are his highlights FWIW.

yes stupid statement I know since they never stop working. but, we offered him while everyone is on vacation?  Get some rest they probably need it.

Edited by lutzcammed

Don't want to get a conversation going in this thread, but it's not worth starting a new one. Gus and Kodi started following a 2021 recruit named Aaron McLaughlin on twitter. Y'all go check him out.

(Twitter, in its infinite(ly bewildering) wisdom, sent me an alert that these follows had happened. The way Twitter continues to crap-ify itself reminds me of the downward spiral MTV set itself on at some point in the 90s.)

54 minutes ago, lutzcammed said:

yes stupid statement I know since they never stop working. but, we offered him while everyone is on vacation?  Get some rest they probably need it.

Vacation doesn't mean stoping contact. They still text & talk on the phone with the kids,

Yes sir I realize this.  However,  if they made the decision to offer him during the dead period and while on vacation  there had to be a little bit more than just talk going on behind the scenes. Which brings me back to the  words work work work.   Alot of our other surprise offers(at least a surprise  to me) have happened right after camps.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Vacation doesn't mean stoping contact. They still text & talk on the phone with the kids,

I've tried that before...an argument (with the wife) typically ensued.

Edited by AUDevil
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, lutzcammed said:

if they made the decision to offer him during the dead period and while on vacation  there had to be a little bit more than just talk going on behind the scenes.

Not really. I could see JB as the type to do studying on his vacation. He likes what he sees in Cross, calls or texts Gus quickly to ask him to offer CC. Gus says ok. Gexts or call Woodson to make the offer. Woodson texts calls, or DMs the offer to CC. Takes all of about 5 minutes if everyone is near their phone.

21 minutes ago, lutzcammed said:

Alot of our other surprise offers(at least a surprise  to me) have happened right after camps.

CC didn't camp at AU.

13 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I've tried that before...an argument (with the wife) typically ensued.

Recruiting is a different animal.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

We offered 3* OT Charles Cross from Mississippi yesterday. He attended camp at FSU in mid June & earned an offer from the Noles that day. It may be a battle between AU & FSU to get him to their respective end of July events. If more comes up then a thread will be created on him. Here are his highlights FWIW.

Now why could his first name not be Christopher. We could of had so much fun with that, he could wear his pants backwards and we could call him Kris’s Kross....

or for the even old crowd, we could call him  “The Boat” as in the Sail Boat for reminding everyone of that favorite last song at the skating rink on a Sadie Hawkins Couples Skate Only.....

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Now why could his first name not be Christopher. We could of had so much fun with that, he could wear his pants backwards and we could call him Kris’s Kross....

or for the even old crowd, we could call him  “The Boat” as in the Sail Boat for reminding everyone of that favorite last song at the skating rink on a Sadie Hawkins Couples Skate Only.....

My younger brother went through that Kriss Kross phase.  White redneck with his clothes on backwards.... People just thought he was special.

...true story...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

My younger brother went through that Kriss Kross phase.  White redneck with his clothes on backwards.... People just thought he was special.

...true story...

To be fair, they did make literally *everyone* jump jump.

And doggone it, your brother IS special. To me, anyway. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

...true story...

But I love the Oilers jersey. Earl was a hot commodity in 1980.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JoeTiger said:

But I love the Oilers jersey. Earl was a hot commodity in 1980.

Campbell was awesome.  I always kinda thought of Hershel and Bo as similar types but with more speed.

34 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Campbell was awesome.  I always kinda thought of Hershel and Bo as similar types but with more speed.

Both were faster and better athletes, but Earl would go out of his way to take out a safety on the way to the goal line. I've talked with several former NFL players. When asked the question who was the person you most feared during your playing days, three said Campbell, one said Joe Greene, and the other, Butkus. Those were fun days in Houston. Luv ya Blue!

• Like 2

Free article by none other than Keith

George Pickens dishes on Bo Nix, Jadon Haselwood and Cam Newton

At The Opening earlier this week in Texas, few prospects were as productive as Auburn 4-star receiver commit George Pickens, who finished the event with 29 catches and nine touchdowns. Auburn Undercover caught up with Pickens, the No. 51 overall recruit nationally in the industry generated 247Sports Composite, to get his thoughts on a range of subjects.

-On his performance at The Opening: “I think I did great, better than what I thought since it was my first time going out there. Some guys like Owen (Pappoe) and Nolan (Smith) had been before. But I think I did really good. I'm a bigger wide receiver and I felt like my game was different than the others. I can make more plays because of me size.”

-On Auburn legend Cam Newton flying to Texas to watch Pickens play (Newton coaches Pickens and Auburn quarterback commit Bo Nix in 7-on-7): “That was really good. I play on his team so I’m used to seeing him, but that is cool that he went out there. He told me he might come but I didn’t think he would make it for sure because he is Under Armour and the event was Nike. So him being out there was nice. (Other players) were like, ‘That’s crazy — he must really love you guys.’”

-On his future teammate, Nix: “He’s a really good quarterback. I think he was the best quarterback at The Opening. I know we lost the championship game but I think he was the best. He has great size, perfect size, great arm power. I’ve played with him a lot. We have good chemistry and he can really rip it.”

-On 5-star Georgia receiver commit Jadon Haselwood, his teammate at The Opening and with Newton’s squad: “Haselwood is really good. If I’m the best wide receiver than Jadon is the best or the second best. Me and him are like brothers. When he makes a play I feed off that and the same with him.”

-On whether the Tigers have a shot to flip Haselwood: “He loves me and Bo. He likes Auburn a lot. He just doesn’t know right now. But I really think his top two are Auburn and Georgia — I know that.”

According to Pickens, he might visit Auburn again July 28.***

Edited by ellitor
lowered article title font size
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Free article by none other than Keith

Confidence, that's for sure ?

Interesting thoughts on Haselwood too. 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2018 at 6:43 PM, AUsince72 said:

Haselwood

I REALLY hope we sign him. I doubt we do. His recruitment reminds me a lot of Trent Thompson. 5* Georgia kid who really seemed to like Auburn but wound up signing with UGA. 

But who knows, it could be a Derrick Brown recruitment... I just don't see that happening...

I sure hope it turns out like Browns recruitment... 

37 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I REALLY hope we sign him. I doubt we do. His recruitment reminds me a lot of Trent Thompson. 5* Georgia kid who really seemed to like Auburn but wound up signing with UGA. 

You must be thinking about someone else. We had to beg him to come to our big January 21st visit and he did. He pouted tbe whole time though and our coaching staff sent him home early. 

Edited by aujeff11
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

You must be thinking about someone else. We had to beg him to come to our big January 21st visit and he did. He pouted tbe whole time though and our coaching staff sent him home early. 

Don't remember Trent doing that. It sounds like you are thinking of former Tennessee WR Preston Williams who was a 5* at one time but ended up a 4*. He came to his AU visit in All Vol gear & was soon asked to leave.

Edited by ellitor

54 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Don't remember Trent doing that. It sounds like you are thinking of former Tennessee WR Preston Williams who was a 5* at one time but ended up a 4*. He came to his AU visit in All Vol gear & was soon asked to leave.

Nope. I remember that too. The rumor was that Preston was doing weed on the OV.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

I actually remember this as well. It was the big OV weekend when Cece Jefferson was here and Byron Cowart, Holland and Terry Beckner JR all were as well. I remember reading on the bunker or on 247 one of those places that Trenton Thompson was pitching a fit out in the lobby of Auburn Arena and wanted to go home and Garner basically had to babysit him just to get him to come back and sit in the stands. He only took that OV as  a courtesy to Garner because he loved Garner.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

I actually remember this as well. It was the big OV weekend when Cece Jefferson was here and Byron Cowart, Holland and Terry Beckner JR all were as wel. I remember reading on the bunker or on 247 one of those places that Trenton Thompson was pitching a fit out in the lobby of Auburn Arena and wanted to go home and Garner basically had to babysit him just to get him to come back and sit in the stands. He only took that OV as  a courtesy to Garner because he loved Garner.

Terrible if true. I think if I loved (and respected) someone, I could behave for a couple of hours on a visit. Oh well, lets keep locking down some studs for this class. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I actually remember this as well. It was the big OV weekend when Cece Jefferson was here and Byron Cowart, Holland and Terry Beckner JR all were as well. I remember reading on the bunker or on 247 one of those places that Trenton Thompson was pitching a fit out in the lobby of Auburn Arena and wanted to go home and Garner basically had to babysit him just to get him to come back and sit in the stands. He only took that OV as  a courtesy to Garner because he loved Garner.

Thanks! I searched & couldn't find it. My apologies @aujeff11

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Thanks! I searched & couldn't find it. My apologies @aujeff11

I do not think he got sent home though. That def was the dude you were talking to who was recruiting for rocky top. I do not even think he is at U THUG anymore though hahahaha serves him right.