Updated: Roe v. Wade overturned

AUDub

1 minute ago, PUB78 said:

Are you joking? 

No, he isn't joking, it happens all the time.  "she deserved it, did you see what she was wearing? she was asking for it"  are things I have heard in my life living in Alabama and Texas."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Didba said:

"She deserved it, can you believe what she was wearing" - Christian women,  See AU Fam conservative women's response to Harsin's family wardrobe.

Boy, you got some major butt hurt going on.

Why type of law do you practice?

7 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

I support abortion if it is rape, incest or the mothers life is in jeopardy.

Okay, well that's a start, too bad because of SCOTUS's decision today, the great state of Alabama and Texas won't let you get an abortion if you are raped.

Just now, Didba said:

No, he isn't joking, it happens all the time.  "she deserved it, did you see what she was wearing? she was asking for it"  are things I have heard in my life living in Alabama and Texas."

Yes, it does happen, and is terribly wrong. I don’t believe it is nearly as common as in the past. The vast majority of people I know would sympathize with a rape victim.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Didba said:

Okay, well that's a start, too bad because of SCOTUS's decision today, the great state of Alabama and Texas won't let you get an abortion if you are raped.

Let’s hope not.

6 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The choice the victim has (if the state doesn’t allow abortion for a rape victim) is travel to another state or bear the child.  It’s pretty simple if you take the emotion out of it.

Many men blame the rape victim. I have heard it and read it, just because you don't see it or hear it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  Further, I have already stated your argument about going to another state is in such bad faith, disingenuous, and places such a high burden on someone who is a victim and had no choice in being pregnant I can't believe you actually think that's okay and call yourself a christian.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I get that you like the result and wish the path here were different— but it wasn’t. If not for this path, we’re not here today — worth it?

I don’t know why this “worth it” comment is important to you. If I’d been in power, and you presented me with the chance to do what McConnell did - even if you told me it would guarantee today’s result, I wouldn’t have done it. I would have chosen to handle it the right way and put the results in God’s hands. I don’t advocate doing wrong that good might come. That stance is one of the reasons I also didn’t vote for Trump. That he might or would appoint certain kinds of judges did not convince me otherwise.

So I reiterate what I said:  I like that Roe is overturned. I continue to oppose tactics like McConnell’s and morally bankrupt candidates like Trump - even in the name of “good ends.”

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

Why type of law do you practice?

Plaintiff side residential construction defect. No butthurt here lmao, just love poking holes in hypocrite's crappy arguments.

1 hour ago, cbo said:

What a deranged question to ask. 

Here's a simple question that is more to the point. Do you believe a woman who is impregnated by rape should be able to have an abortion without driving to another state?

Yes.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

Let’s hope not.

Its currently how the law was written, in fact: "Several proposed amendments [to the Human Life Protection Act] that would have allowed abortions in cases of rape and incest were rejected."

31 minutes ago, Didba said:

I love when guys like this dude make their hypocrisy so obvious and they are so unaware of how bad what they are saying sounds. Like he is preaching pro-life because of his beliefs but then turns around and blames the victim for being raped and says go travel across three states to get an abortion of the child you are bearing because of rape.  Jesus would abhor this person.

Are you sure it is only 1%?

6 minutes ago, Didba said:

Plaintiff side residential construction defect. No butthurt here lmao, just love poking holes in hypocrite's crappy arguments.

I assume there is a market for your services in this area?

7 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I don’t know why this “worth it” comment is important to you. If I’d been in power, and you presented me with the chance to do what McConnell did - even if you told me it would guarantee today’s result, I wouldn’t have done it. I would have chosen to handle it the right way and put the results in God’s hands. I don’t advocate doing wrong that good might come. That stance is one of the reasons I also didn’t vote for Trump. That he might or would appoint certain kinds of judges did not convince me otherwise.

So I reiterate what I said:  I like that Roe is overturned. I continue to oppose tactics like McConnell’s and morally bankrupt candidates like Trump - even in the name of “good ends.”

Man, you step over the narrative bad things will follow....

4 minutes ago, Didba said:

Its currently how the law was written, in fact: "Several proposed amendments [to the Human Life Protection Act] that would have allowed abortions in cases of rape and incest were rejected."

Yes, I believe you are correct. Let’s hope it is amended for these exceptions.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Didba said:

Same in 8 other states, as the laws are already written. Almost the entire southeast. In Tennessee, for example, this will take effect in 30 days. 

If you live in Louisiana, you will have to travel to Illinois or New Mexico to get an abortion, even if you were raped. Or, you know, petition the state legislator and cross your fingers!

• Like 1

Just now, PUB78 said:

I assume there is a market for your services in this area?

Why does this even matter? What are you getting at?

But yes, the field of residential construction defect is doing very well because commercial builders throw up homes as fast as they can.  Defective homes that fall apart and develop mold.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

Actually, I was thinking while I do like poking hole in bad arguments, the real reason I come on here [and I almost never come into the political forum] is because if I can even get one person to consider revising their beliefs to be a bit less extreme. If I can just reach one person and make them reconsider some things then its worth the animosity I receive from the ones that are simply too far gone to reach.

Edited by Didba

17 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Let me phrase it another way— if McConnell’s tactics could be undone via a time machine, but you knew that would mean this wouldn’t have happened today and likely no decade soon, and the choice was yours— would you have his tactics reversed?

19 minutes ago, Didba said:

But yes, the field of residential construction defect is doing very well because commercial builders throw up homes as fast as they can.  Defective homes that fall apart and develop mold.

Just asking a question out of curiosity, nothing more.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Didba said:

You have to realize who you are talking to sometimes

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, cole256 said:

You have to realize who you are talking to sometimes

I don't think I have ever interacted with that poster on the football forums. I remember most names of people that post regularly.  But thanks for the heads up.

25 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Let me phrase it another way— if McConnell’s tactics could be undone via a time machine, but you knew that would mean this wouldn’t have happened today and likely no decade soon, and the choice was yours— would you have his tactics reversed?

I kinda implied what I’d do when I said that if I’d been in his position and had a guarantee that today would be the result, I wouldn’t have stonewalled Garland. And by refusing to vote Trump and encouraging others not to as well I was risking not getting other justices as well. 

It would be harder having seen today I’ll admit. And you’ve upped the ante by saying it likely wouldn’t happen for decades. I don’t know what the implications of playing God by going back in time to reverse decisions like that are. The butterfly effect of such things scares me. But suffice it to say, I stand by my original contention:  as the Scriptures say, you cannot do wrong that good may come of it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AUDub said:

What merit is there in an equal protection case for something not explicitly outlined in the Constitution? 

If Roe and Casey are fair game, Obergefell is too. 

You have a good point and you could be correct.  After all, the court has found something to be a fundamental right and later found it not to be or modified their earlier ruling.  However, by specifically finding in Obergefell that marriage was a fundamental right, they elevated the bar when it comes to gay marriage.  They would have to declare that marriage in general was not a fundamental right, which would impact a much larger discussion.

The difference between abortion and gay marriage.... 

The right to choose to terminate a pregnancy was based on a fundamental right that isn't enumerated in the constitution, much like marriage.  However, in overturning Roe, the court didn't hold that there was no fundamental right to privacy.  They simply held that the right to privacy isn't broad enough to include a woman's right to choose.  To overturn Obergefell, the court would need to declare that there is no fundamental right when it comes to marriage.  That would require a willingness to overturn more precedent than any court has been willing to overturn in the past 250 plus years.

Ofcourse, that is just my opinion.  That, along with $4, will get you coffee at Starbucks.. LOL

If people really want to fault someone for the outcome of this decision, they should look directly toward those that didn't think Hillary Clinton was left enough and therefore stayed at home and didn't vote at all in 2016. 

Trump, who has been pro choice his entire life, knew that all he had to do was to promise to let the far right have their picks for the Court and that they would overlook the laundry list of reasons why he was everything a Christian should not be.  It worked.  Now the far right will figure out the next method by which they want government to involve itself in your life.  They seem to favor the government involvement when it elevates their own self worth, but not when it actually benefits someone less fortunate than themselves.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

You have a good point and you could be correct.  After all, the court has found something to be a fundamental right and later found it not to be or modified their earlier ruling.  However, by specifically finding in Obergefell that marriage was a fundamental right, they elevated the bar when it comes to gay marriage.  They would have to declare that marriage in general was not a fundamental right, which would impact a much larger discussion.

The difference between abortion and gay marriage.... 

The right to choose to terminate a pregnancy was based on a fundamental right that isn't enumerated in the constitution, much like marriage.  However, in overturning Roe, the court didn't hold that there was no fundamental right to privacy.  They simply held that the right to privacy isn't broad enough to include a woman's right to choose.  To overturn Obergefell, the court would need to declare that there is no fundamental right when it comes to marriage.  That would require a willingness to overturn more precedent than any court has been willing to overturn in the past 250 plus years.

Ofcourse, that is just my opinion.  That, along with $4, will get you coffee at Starbucks.. LOL

What enumerated right is marriage based upon? 14th amendment?  I was under the impression that the privacy rights e.g. procreation, contraception, marriage, abortion, all stemmed from the same "penumbra of rights" which is a not enumerated right. 

Not saying you are wrong just curious on this one because I may be misremembering.