Men vs. uat game thread

WarTiger

4 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Oh I agree, you just never know what you're get out of him on gameday

What I like from him this year vs last year is that last season if he was off early or if he wasn't as focused as he should be in the early it affected him the rest of the game. This year after a poor stretch once he gets pulled from the game he has been able to shake it off and be productive. Sign of a player maturing. I wish we had another year of Malik!

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Oh I agree, you just never know what you're get out of him on gameday

With Samir it's minute to minute, sometimes possesion to possesion.

44 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

We were favored to win the game, all metrics favored us to win the game, why on Earth why anyone have been so sure we would lose?

Because we've struggled on the road against every team with a pulse. Because we rarely win at Tuscaloosa. Because Petty can light it up from outside when at home. Because they are on the bubble and really needed this win. I could probably keep going but i don't think it was unreasonable to expect this game to be a struggle. 

Samir and Malik gave us a pretty solid outing last night, both with big plays and clutch shots. Together they produced 15 pts, 9 rebs, and 5 steals. Samir did have 3 turnovers which was not great, but overall they were solid. 

Just now, gravejd said:

Because we've struggled on the road against every team with a pulse. Because we rarely win at Tuscaloosa. Because Petty can light it up from outside when at home. Because they are on the bubble and really needed this win. I could probably keep going but i don't think it was unreasonable to expect this game to be a struggle. 

If you look at what I quoted, it wasn't the attitude that the game would be a struggle that I questioned. It was the "zero" chance to win attitude.

Just now, JwgreDeux said:

If you look at what I quoted, it wasn't the attitude that the game would be a struggle that I questioned. It was the "zero" chance to win attitude.

Oh well thats fair.....i wouldn't give this team a "0 percent chance" against any team in the country

22 minutes ago, gravejd said:

lots of people are just blind to reality and facts....this was just the 10th time we have won at coleman....coleman was built when i was in the 10th grade....i start medicare in august....i used to go to and watch bama basketball when C.M. Newton was the coach, and then wimp...the officiating is almost like rupp....

we play stupidball on the road and bama plays well at home...whats our road record this year?....bama is loaded in talent....they beat UK, and should have beat UT at knoxville....they beat USC, and ole miss....we beat none of them and were blown out by OM and UK on the road....what one wants and facts are not the same thing....

2 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

lots of people are just blind to reality and facts....this was just the 10th time we have won at coleman....coleman was built when i was in the 10th grade....i start medicare in august....i used to go to and watch bama basketball when C.M. Newton was the coach, and then wimp...the officiating is almost like rupp....

we play stupidball on the road and bama plays well at home...whats our road record this year?....bama is loaded in talent....they beat UK, and should have beat UT at knoxville....they beat USC, and ole miss....we beat none of them and were blown out by OM and UK on the road....what one wants and facts are not the same thing....

So every sports book, oddsmaker, power ranking metric, etc.... all wanted us to win? I understand history, but with this current team I don't understand the expectation of losing. Of course quad 1 games will be battles, but as a fan base, but as a fanbase we go from expecting to win the league, go to the sweet 16 or better, to suddenly having no chance to win a game. 

2 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

I was preaching all day yesterday that AU had as close to zero shot at winning that game as any I had every known of. Bama coming off a gritty winning performance at USCe and a good performance vs. LSU but coming up short; they would be hungry, energetic, and focused for a win on their home floor. That looked about right for the first half. But then the pro coach who is only there to get paid, try something new, and coach his son (who graduates this year) bungles the 2nd half and Auburn steals it with guts and will.

My thing is this: did Auburn unwittingly just seal the fate of Avery Johnson, causing the Bama PTB to go and actually get a good coach, like Texas Tech's coach? This would cause the SEC to get tougher and Auburn to have a much tougher row to hoe against a qualified, competent college coach whom we would be battling on the recruiting trail, etc. Did beating Bama last night make Bama better (in the long run, kinda like how when Mike Shula got Croomed, it caused Mal Moore to go out and get Lil Nick)?

Why on earth would Chris Beard leave Texas Tech? He has it absolutely rolling out there and is making over 3 million a year. He may be from the state of Georgia but he is basically a texas guy having played in the state and coached there for most of his professional career. I am not worried about who bama would get because WE HAVE BRUCE FREAKING PEARL!!!!! Having said that I still want them to keep their Gus because all Avery does is under achieve!!! WOOOOOOO!!!!! I quite enjoy it. Here is to hoping they beat Arky this weekend to get a step closer to them keeping Avery! lol WAR DAMN!!

35 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

Samir and Malik gave us a pretty solid outing last night, both with big plays and clutch shots. Together they produced 15 pts, 9 rebs, and 5 steals. Samir did have 3 turnovers which was not great, but overall they were solid. 

I'm just tired of most of his turnovers being WTF turnovers. There there are times he tries impossible shots while driving to the basket. Literally every time he touches the ball this phrase runs through my head...

5 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

I don't understand the expectation of losing.

Welcome to the Auburn family.

6-0 on ESPN U THIS SEASON BAAAAAAAAAYBEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! We really the KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANGS OF ESPN U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OUR STATION!!!!!! LETS GOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Just as long as folks are celebrating ...don't forget that the ladies swept bama in basketball also...…..JMO but might be some changes over there in both sports.....can't imagine the PTBs are gonna be happy with that kind of stuff. 

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

6-0 on ESPN U THIS SEASON BAAAAAAAAAYBEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! We really the KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANGS OF ESPN U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OUR STATION!!!!!! LETS GOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Sadly, we're on ESPN Saturday.

Joking aside, the house should be rocking, even if it is a morning game.

2 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

What are your thoughts on Brown and his inconsistent shooting from Auburn Arena to on the road?

1 minute ago, SumterAubie said:

With Samir it's minute to minute, sometimes possesion to possesion.

he has played well at times, not so well in others...thats the whole team, good at times not so much in others...he hit a big shot last night....BIG SHOT

4 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

We were favored to win the game, all metrics favored us to win the game, why on Earth why anyone have been so sure we would lose?

Auburn had been road-deficient all season, and I thought Bama was in a good place to put an inspired performance together. As far as the sureness of losing goes, it was a gut feeling after having closely followed Auburn basketball for yars and yars. Glad I was wrong! War Eagle!

Why on earth would Chris Beard leave Texas Tech? He has it absolutely rolling out there and is making over 3 million a year. He may be from the state of Georgia but he is basically a texas guy having played in the state and coached there for most of his professional career. I am not worried about who bama would get because WE HAVE BRUCE FREAKING PEARL!!!!! Having said that I still want them to keep their Gus because all Avery does is under achieve!!! WOOOOOOO!!!!! I quite enjoy it. Here is to hoping they beat Arky this weekend to get a step closer to them keeping Avery! lol WAR DAMN!!

I just picked him out as an example of an on-fire coach who other teams will likely come calling on. That's it.

4 hours ago, Tiger said:

Is Texas Tech's coach rumored to want to leave TTU? He has a hell of a thing going out there in Lubbock. 

Nope, just an example of a guy flying high at his respective spot at the moment.

24 minutes ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

What are your thoughts on Brown and his inconsistent shooting from Auburn Arena to on the road?

Hard to say really. Home is always more comfortable, could be a lot of different things. Home court advantages is more than just getting the benefit of the doubt from the whistles. Speaking of last night he seemed to be pressing early, rushing a bit makes a huge difference in percentages. I thought he did a good job of adjusting his play once he got off to a cold start. Personally, I'd like to see him drive it a bit more on the road early in the game. Hopefully get to the foul line and slow down the close outs. 

But no matter what he needs to keep shooting. Opposing defenses won't leave him to help off on other guys and that helps maintain floor spacing. Once of the reasons we could use Chumma the way we did last night was he was surrounded by shooters if the came to double him. 

15 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

Auburn had been road-deficient all season, and I thought Bama was in a good place to put an inspired performance together. As far as the sureness of losing goes, it was a gut feeling after having closely followed Auburn basketball for yars and yars. Glad I was wrong! War Eagle!

I understand expecting them to play well due to their need of a W. However, coming into last night we were 5-7 away from our arena, and in our losses only 2 were out of reach during the last minutes of the game. I agree we aren't a great road team, but I guess my point isn't aimed at our merits as a team. It is aimed at those gut feelings that our fanbase seems to have. When we are winning, everyone is ready for a final four run. When we drop a few games, it seemed the assumption was that we would just keep losing, and not be able to rebound. That is where some of my frustration lies. 

6-0 on ESPN U THIS SEASON

I have called you the Kang of irrelevant knowledge before and I want my pat on tbe read end for it. Dead on.

I want to take a moment to recognize how incredible Chuma's steal of the inbounds pass and following that up with a 3 was. That was BIIIIIIIIIIIG. That whole sequence was great. Scored 5 points in literally 2 seconds.

Archived