Phil Steele on 2019 Auburn Season

toddc

45 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

5.1 ypc and 3.0 ypc, respectively. 

5.1 is pretty decent.  I used to have a coach who said if you can move the ball 3yrds a play on offense you’ll be unstoppable.  Kinda old school but the math works.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

The D line is terrific. No. 2 is reasonable.  Can't buy into No. 5 for the O-line, but if we can stay healthy they will be pretty good.  I love mobile QB's.  I think that alone will make our offense much improved. We will see though. So far our QB is just potential.  Somebody will have to grow up fast and prove it on the field.  I like this team a lot, but even Clemson and Bama would struggle to get through our schedule unscathed.

I hadn't considered how a mobile QB, plus a deeper and more experienced RB corps, might lighten the load on those guys. Which I see now is the very last sentence in the article. I'm'a have to take the L on that one. Not on their performance last year, though. 

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

The average yards per catch in that game is 6.88 yards, with 5 passes longer than 10 yards.  Yes there were screens, but they were not all screens.  And yes they did buy time.  Zero sacks.  Zero quarterback hurries in that game.  They may not have been pushing back UGA's line, but they were at least stalemating.  In full disclosure, UGA had an average TFL of 4.64 and they got 4 on us so we didn't really come in much below their average there

Not to nitpick but stalemates by the Oline is a win for the defense.

2 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

5.1 is pretty decent.  I used to have a coach who said if you can move the ball 3yrds a play on offense you’ll be unstoppable.  Kinda old school but the math works.

5.1 is decent on the surface but we only ran the ball 20 times. Boobee averaged 2.9 yards per carry on 9 carries. Worm and Stidham picked up chunks- 4 for 43 and 6 for 36- presumably running mostly outside and scrambles/QB draws. Those aren't numbers to support good OL play. 

3 yard a carry is bad. Bad bad bad. 

36 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

The D line is terrific. No. 2 is reasonable.  Can't buy into No. 5 for the O-line, but if we can stay healthy they will be pretty good.  I love mobile QB's.  I think that alone will make our offense much improved. We will see though. So far our QB is just potential.  Somebody will have to grow up fast and prove it on the field.  I like this team a lot, but even Clemson and Bama would struggle to get through our schedule unscathed.

Clemson may have a struggle with our schedule, but their offensive production would carry them well.

Just looking at Bama's record over the past 10-11 yrs, I don't see them having a problem playing our schedule until they hit AU in JHS.  They'd beat Oregon, they have no problem beating aTm in their house, they've got a 11-0 record vs MSU & Arky, they have a 6-1 record vs UF, and an 8-3 record vs LSU and they've shown no problem winning in BR, OleMiss is weak, and they have a 6-1 record vs UGA. :dunno:

It’s crazy to me how freshmen QBs are viewed these days. 5 years ago there was no way you’d get preseason love with a freshmen Qb running the show. Now they barely blink an eye. Hope our young guys are up for it. 

#5 OL??? We shall see....

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

Clemson may have a struggle with our schedule, but their offensive production would carry them well.

Just looking at Bama's record over the past 10-11 yrs, I don't see them having a problem playing our schedule until they hit AU in JHS.  They'd beat Oregon, they have no problem beating aTm in their house, they've got a 11-0 record vs MSU & Arky, they have a 6-1 record vs UF, and an 8-3 record vs LSU and they've shown no problem winning in BR, OleMiss is weak, and they have a 6-1 record vs UGA. :dunno:

The thing about both of those teams is that they wouldn't have weeks where they just didn't show up and weren't competitive. They might lose some games but the other team would have to earn it. 

17 hours ago, DAG said:

1 hour ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Phil Steele is straight shooter. He makes sense. Still not sure about the o-line or d-line being that dominant . Just being cautiously optimistic 

at the end of the days we are all just fans for the most part. too often all of us tend to come to conclusions that can get tainted with emotion. even the cats on here that know a ton about the x's and o's have let their emotion cloud their judgement. but it always leas to some fun discussions. and dag not sre how your name popped up with a quote. i think i was going to comment about grimes and changed my miind and screwed the pooch. nevermind dag i got rid of it i think  lol.

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

too often all of us tend to come to conclusions that can get tainted with emotion.

Speak for yourself, buddy. I've never once in my life let emotion show in my posts.

Image result for lol gif

Just now, McLoofus said:

Speak for yourself, buddy. I've never once in my life let emotion show in my posts.

Image result for lol gif

loo u know you can go to hell for lying just like stealing right?   lol

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Image result for lol gif

hey loof might i be bold enough to ask about your name? when i see the loof part i keep thinking sponge for some reason and we cannot have that unless it is the intent. au legends deserve better would you not agree?

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

hey loof might i be bold enough to ask about your name? when i see the loof part i keep thinking sponge for some reason and we cannot have that unless it is the intent. au legends deserve better would you not agree?

HAH! Yes, AU legends deserve better. I do not, but you and the rest do. So let me set your mind at is: it has nothing to do with loofahs. 

I just made it up. McLoofus is a dumb name and I'm a dumb guy. McWifey thought it was perfect. My people do hail from Scotland way back, though, and I certainly fit the short-tempered but lovable drunk profile. 

“Steele clearly isn't doing a deep dive with his research.” @McLoofus do you really think Steele would make a statement like that without doing research into our depth etc.? I don’t think he would make such a strong statement and risk his reputation as a prognosticator with a half arse look at the information!

1 minute ago, toddc said:

“Steele clearly isn't doing a deep dive with his research.” @McLoofus do you really think Steele would make a statement like that without doing research into our depth etc.? I don’t think he would make such a strong statement and risk his reputation as a prognosticator with a half arse look at the information!

No, I don't think he's looking at our depth. And I get it. He can't do that for 130 teams. 

And I'm not sure he has a good read at all on our center situation.

Only thing I can figure is there are a lot of OLs in rebuilding mode this year. Just hope a lot of DLs on our schedule are, too. 

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

No, I don't think he's looking at our depth. And I get it. He can't do that for 130 teams. 

And I'm not sure he has a good read at all on our center situation.

Only thing I can figure is there are a lot of OLs in rebuilding mode this year. Just hope a lot of DLs on our schedule are, too. 

I doubt very much that he’s looking at 130 teams, but I do think he would narrow it down to maybe the top 25-30 teams that have a chance to be in the top 25 to start the season. That’s doable, and I’m sure he’s got people who research a lot of this for him.

9 minutes ago, toddc said:

I doubt very much that he’s looking at 130 teams, but I do think he would narrow it down to maybe the top 25-30 teams that have a chance to be in the top 25 to start the season. That’s doable, and I’m sure he’s got people who research a lot of this for him.

He not only looks at all 130 teams, but he basically handicaps every single game in football every week. He's even got an FCS section. No, he's not doing it all himself, on that I agree. 

Yesterday, I listened to an interview with him, and he said it takes 6 months to do all the research and put together his preseason magazine.  I'd say you (with a support staff) can do a pretty deep dive into most of the teams over that period of time

7 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

Yesterday, I listened to an interview with him, and he said it takes 6 months to do all the research and put together his preseason magazine.  I'd say you (with a support staff) can do a pretty deep dive into most of the teams over that period of time

Sure he can dive deep and come up with reasonable preseason prognostications.  But it's hard as hell to factor in some of the odd games AU inevitably loses every year.  Joe Moorehouse and Jeremy Pruitt were 1st yr SEC coaches, who'd have ever thought a seasoned coaching staff like ours would bend to those teams?

33 minutes ago, keesler said:

Sure he can dive deep and come up with reasonable preseason prognostications.  But it's hard as hell to factor in some of the odd games AU inevitably loses every year.  Joe Moorehouse and Jeremy Pruitt were 1st yr SEC coaches, who'd have ever thought a seasoned coaching staff like ours would bend to those teams?

Mississippi State's coach is so obscure and unknown that other SEC fans don't know his name after a year of having him in the league. 

16 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:
53 minutes ago, keesler said:

Mississippi State's coach is so obscure and unknown that other SEC fans don't know his name after a year of having him in the league. 

HAHA I was actually sitting here thinking: Who the heck is Joe Moorehouse?   :roflol:

1 minute ago, LKEEL75 said:

HAHA I was actually sitting here thinking: Who the heck is Joe Moorehouse?   :roflol:

Sh!t!  

Joe Moorehead

My bad

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

HAH! Yes, AU legends deserve better. I do not, but you and the rest do. So let me set your mind at is: it has nothing to do with loofahs. 

I just made it up. McLoofus is a dumb name and I'm a dumb guy. McWifey thought it was perfect. My people do hail from Scotland way back, though, and I certainly fit the short-tempered but lovable drunk profile. 

i am black irish. truth. straight from my grandmothers mouth. and you are not dumb. and talk around the water cooler is you are hollywood handsome. i think dag might have said it but my memory is pretty bad.......... shrugs

On 6/19/2019 at 8:15 PM, tigerman1186 said:

Got a strong feeling we'll beat LSU in BR.....

said almost every Auburn team since the 1999 season... And absolutely none have. That isnt a Malzahn issue. Not in the least. We have been through 2 coaches since we last won there.

16 hours ago, abw0004 said:

(Sorry didnt mean to quote this one)

16 hours ago, abw0004 said:

It makes one appreciate Grimes a little more and think that he took more flak then he deserved last year.  

Grimes can coach. That never has been an issue. His issue is and always has been is his recruiting shortcomings. He hasnt really improved in that regard. But as far as on the field coaching goes... He is one of the best in the business. 

Archived