Phil Steele on 2019 Auburn Season

toddc

Big Fish is one of the coolest movies made in the last 20 years or so. Yes, it made me think several times about my Dad. 

Its a slower speed, more adult, Monty Python, with a heart. But some of it is just plain silly. 

Being normal is perfect waste of a life...

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

It's a shame. I think you would get a kick out of it.

I will look into it for sure.  I love a good movie here and there!  Thanks for the recommendation!

On 6/20/2019 at 6:22 AM, abw0004 said:

Yes really.  He probably saw what most fans saw in the OL progressing every game to where the last three games they held their own against UGA and Alabama.  

52-21 Uat. Don’t think our OL or DL held their own against them. That dog won’t hunt. 

2 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I will look into it for sure.  I love a good movie here and there!  Thanks for the recommendation!

A lot of it was filmed around Tallassee and I do believe Auburn University is mentioned. The rail that fish ran on stayed in the Tallapoosa River for years. It may still be there for all I know.

One day it rained down in that river bottom where they were filming and a bunch of the movie people got their cars stuck. A friend of mine showed up with his tractor and charged $100 each to pull them out. They said that was cheap compared to what it would have cost in California.

Anyway, you'll like the movie.

Spectre was built in Millbrook, Alabama. 

This is the part of Southern Culture we should be celebrating.
That part that is too polite to be ugly to anyone.
That drinks a little too much, but is never rude.
That part of us that is "Big Fish."

6 hours ago, C'viewTiger said:

52-21 Uat. Don’t think our OL or DL held their own against them. That dog won’t hunt. 

See below in blue of what was already discussed 7 days ago on the OL.  Also Alabama only allowed opponents 18.06 point per game, so we beat that mark as well.  Not sure on the DL.

On 6/20/2019 at 10:43 AM, abw0004 said:

So we gave up 1 less sack? That's "holding our own"? You don't think a NFL draft pick quarterback might have thrown 17 incompletions and "only" gotten sacked 3 times because he was pressured most of the game?? Wow.  Against Alabama's defense.  That is absolutely holding your own.  You aren't going to prevent a team who is elite in a particular area from doing what they do the whole game.  That is like saying you will shut out Clemson's offense, or Oklahoma's.  But if you hold them below their average that is a win.  Alabama was ranked 10th in sacks for 2018.  Alabama also averaged 7.1 TFL's per game (ranked 26th) and only got 5 from Auburn.

On 6/24/2019 at 1:56 PM, auburnphan said:

From 6:20 in the 3rd quarter on we ran the ball 22 out of 28 snaps and. 21 of the last 25 offensive snaps.  I have never seen a coach quit on his team, but this is as close as it gets.  Like many, this was the last straw for me.  

You must be young. We literally had a coach quit on us during the 1998 season. Yeah he was maybe going to be fired... But tater tot didnt even make it through the season. Bowden literally quit on his team between the 6th and 7th game of the season and somehow we wound up paying him...over half a million even though HE quit.

https://oklahoman.com/article/2631553/bowdens-resignation-a-slimy-affair

18 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

It's a shame. I think you would get a kick out of it.

Its a great movie.

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

A lot of it was filmed around Tallassee and I do believe Auburn University is mentioned. The rail that fish ran on stayed in the Tallapoosa River for years. It may still be there for all I know.

One day it rained down in that river bottom where they were filming and a bunch of the movie people got their cars stuck. A friend of mine showed up with his tractor and charged $100 each to pull them out. They said that was cheap compared to what it would have cost in California.

Anyway, you'll like the movie.

Auburn University isnt just mentioned its shown in the movie. Well... It says its Auburn but in reality its Huntingdun College in Montgomery

https://www.movie-locations.com/movies/b/Big-Fish.php

Its a wonderful movie that makes me tear up watching it

bama played 8 unranked teams last year. Two from the Sun Belt and the Citadel among them. I'm glad we "held our own" by barely beating their average. 

40 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

bama played 8 unranked teams last year. Two from the Sun Belt and the Citadel among them. I'm glad we "held our own" by barely beating their average. 

I am not sure why you stop quoting me when trying to respond to my posts.  I noticed it a few times recently.  We always keep it civil and respectful.  Beating the team that was in the National Championship last year's average in most categories for the OL.  There really is no way to down play Alabama there, so yes our OL "held our own."

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

You must be young. We literally had a coach quit on us during the 1998 season. Yeah he was maybe going to be fired... But tater tot didnt even make it through the season. Bowden literally quit on his team between the 6th and 7th game of the season and somehow we wound up paying him...over half a million even though HE quit.

https://oklahoman.com/article/2631553/bowdens-resignation-a-slimy-affair

Its a great movie.

Auburn University isnt just mentioned its shown in the movie. Well... It says its Auburn but in reality its Huntingdun College in Montgomery

https://www.movie-locations.com/movies/b/Big-Fish.php

Its a wonderful movie that makes me tear up watching it

I was at Auburn when it happened.  I will just say this.  When someone quits they never get paid for the rest of the year.  A forced resignation and a non disclosure agreement can lead to a lot of speculation.

3 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Spectre was built in Millbrook, Alabama. 

This is the part of Southern Culture we should be celebrating.
That part that is too polite to be ugly to anyone.
That drinks a little too much, but is never rude.
That part of us that is "Big Fish."

now I am going to have to watch this movie!

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

See below in blue of what was already discussed 7 days ago on the OL.  Also Alabama only allowed opponents 18.06 point per game, so we beat that mark as well.  Not sure on the DL.

I get what you are saying. Maybe they improved and showed it that game. But hold their own just because they scored more on a team than their average, that’s holding their own. If you are in to morale victories, score. 

9 minutes ago, C'viewTiger said:

I get what you are saying. Maybe they improved and showed it that game. But hold their own just because they scored more on a team than their average, that’s holding their own. If you are in to morale victories, score. 

All good.  So when grading each part of a team, the OL did their job.  Not every part of our team did though, which resulted in the loss.  If you go back and look at my other posts in this thread where I bring in the statistics, Auburn bested Alabama in the trenches of our offensive line vs. their defensive line.  As a player, if you can hold an opponent to under their average in your department, you did your job.  In this case, the offensive line did do this.

The best argument Loof or anyone else could have taken is focusing on our other deficiencies.  For example, our defense.  The Auburn defense played its worst game of the season, allowing 500-yards on only 59 snaps. It was the first time from 1961-2018 (685 games), an Auburn defense allowed 500-yard of offense on less than 60 snaps. After allowing 184-yards on 37 snaps during the first half, Auburn surrendered 316 yards on just 22 snaps during the second-half. Auburn could not apply any pressure on Alabama's quarterbacks, and the secondary was toasted, giving up seven pass plays of 20-yards or more.

But for this particular topic of the OL only, they did their job.

15 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

All good.  So when grading each part of a team, the OL did their job.  Not every part of our team did though, which resulted in the loss.  If you go back and look at my other posts in this thread where I bring in the statistics, Auburn bested Alabama in the trenches of our offensive line vs. their defensive line.  As a player, if you can hold an opponent to under their average in your department, you did your job.  In this case, the offensive line did do this.

The best argument Loof or anyone else could have taken is focusing on our other deficiencies.  For example, our defense.  The Auburn defense played its worst game of the season, allowing 500-yards on only 59 snaps. It was the first time from 1961-2018 (685 games), an Auburn defense allowed 500-yard of offense on less than 60 snaps. After allowing 184-yards on 37 snaps during the first half, Auburn surrendered 316 yards on just 22 snaps during the second-half. Auburn could not apply any pressure on Alabama's quarterbacks, and the secondary was toasted, giving up seven pass plays of 20-yards or more.

But for this particular topic of the OL only, they did their job.

Holy crap was it that bad?

It was all a blur for me.

7 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Auburn bested Alabama in the trenches of our offensive line vs. their defensive line.  As a player, if you can hold an opponent to under their average in your department, you did your job.  In this case, the offensive line did do this.

That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works. 

You seem to have an interesting idea of what kind of relationship an Auburn football team should have with our opponent's average. Not to mention the myriad variables that result in a given player or unit's statistics. 

7 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

The best argument Loof or anyone else could have taken is focusing on our other deficiencies.

Why would anyone focus on other deficiencies? You said the offensive line "held their own". Which, of course, explains why you might want to focus on other deficiencies. But not anybody else.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Holy crap was it that bad?

It was all a blur for me.

It was pretty bad. Both units more or less went in the crapper. Can't imagine the play calling at the end of the first half did much to inspire confidence in anyone. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=401012350

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.  Yes it is.  Like I told you before, you will not able to completely stop Alabama, but if you can hold them below their performance marks then you did a good job and earned a passing score.  Even STAT agrees with me on this:  TD / Turnover ratio above 1.6:  [3 / 1] pass

You seem to have an interesting idea of what kind of relationship an Auburn football team should have with our opponent's average. Not to mention the myriad variables that result in a given player or unit's statistics.  

Why would anyone focus on other deficiencies? You said the offensive line "held their own". Which, of course, explains why you might want to focus on other deficiencies. But not anybody else.  Why?  Because when I can thoroughly prove why the OL was not the problem that game, there are other places to look.  That is why you should focus on it because focusing on the OL, as I proved last week is fruitless.  That is why when you wrongly accused me of cherrypicking stats and I asked for any other stat, you could not do so.  I brought in every single statistic to score a player.  I even provided statistics that did not help my cause so I could be fair.  So, focusing on the DL would have been a better use of your time as I took the time to show above.  I literally did all of the work above for you to point out where we failed as a team.  I will even take it a step further for your benefit:

Defensive Report Card:

01) Avg under 6-yards per play on 1st down: [9.1] fail
02) Convert below 35% of 3rd downs:  [45.4%] fail
03) Avg at least 4.0 yards per rush or less:  [4.7] fail
04) Score  1/3 of possessions or below:  [61.5%] fail
05) Keep 3 and out series above 33%:  [30.7%] fail
06) Average below 7.5 yards per pass attempt: [11.4 yds] fail
07) Score below 75% inside red zone:  [100.0%] fail
08) TD red zone below 60%:  [66.7%] fail
09) Avg under 30-yards per possession:  [38.5 yds] fail
10) 40% or less of offensive snaps part of scoring drives:  [67.8%] fail 
11) TD / Turnover ratio below 1.6:  [7 / 0] fail
12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 30 snaps:  [8.4] fail
13) Less than 8 impact plays:  (9) fail
14) No more than 2 big plays allowed: (4) fail
15) Pass rating below 125.0:  [234.7] fail

16) Yards to point ratio of 18.0 or higher: [9.6] fail 

Score: 0 of 16 (0.0%) FAIL

Very unproductive use of time when nothing substantial is brought forward to answer my talking points, only jabs.  Moving on.

6 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Auburn’s offense was ranked 124 out of 129 offenses.  That is a lot of time on the field for the defense

This is the part where somebody tries to tell you that it's Kevin Steele's fault that the offense only held the ball for 18 minutes in the Mississippi State game. 

Defense and offense BOTH were an issue in this game. I think the frustration lies when we try to blame one or the other more for the game’s conclusion . I consider it a team failure on both sides of the ball, at least in this individual game 

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

Defense and offense BOTH were an issue in this game. I think the frustration lies when we try to blame one or the other more for the game’s conclusion . I consider it a team failure on both sides of the ball, at least in this individual game 

Man, we have had some defensive stinkers with such great talent, that are unexplainable 

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Man, we have had some defensive stinkers with such great talent, that are unexplainable 

MSU is easily explainable. The offense refused to perform and the defense got tired and dispirited. For all the whining about rushing yards, they kept MSU out of the endzone until they were completely exhausted in the 4th quarter. UT is explainable in my mind, also, but it's mostly conjecture on my part and cannot be supported by stats or even video replay so I keep it to myself. 

bama... ugh. They just made some great adjustments at half, punched us in the mouth, and kept punching the entire 2nd half. No excuses there. We got whupped that day. 

I don't really see any stinkers in 2016-17, except maybe the SECCG. 

Archived