Phil Steele on 2019 Auburn Season

toddc

21 hours ago, McLoofus said:

He not only looks at all 130 teams, but he basically handicaps every single game in football every week. He's even got an FCS section. No, he's not doing it all himself, on that I agree. 

Says the guy with the dumb name....pshaw...

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/19/2019 at 10:01 PM, AubFanCT said:

#5 OLine???? Really? Did Phil Steele watch any film from last year. Couldn't disagree more. Our DLine at #2 is legit anchored by Brown and lots of experience and depth. Would love to see a serious buck/pass rusher emerge. 

Agree. I think he's looking at the fact that the OL did improve towards the end of the season and got some good experience. I buy Steele's magazine every year. I like his analysis and breakdown of returning players, transfers and new coaches impact. However, when it comes to picking when the season starts he's barely average. Good early info to have to begin the season though...especially for betting purposes. 

On 6/20/2019 at 8:44 AM, McLoofus said:

Held their own against uga? We had 274 yards of total offense. We didn't give up any sacks on 36 pass attempts, which is okay, but when 18 of the 24 completions were to All Time Screen Guy or running backs...

Held their own against bama? We got all the way up to 283 yards of offense... and gave up 3 sacks.

What exactly qualifies as "holding their own" for you?

I get it. Lots of people have bought into it. It confounds me, but enough people think that way that there must be something to it. They weren't as abjectly terrible at the end of the season as they were at the beginning. There was improvement. So folks somehow remember them as being good by the end. And then there was the Purdue beatdown, and I have to admit that offers the faintest glimmer of hope for all but the most pessimistic among us. But they weren't "good". 

Steele clearly isn't doing a deep dive with his research. He is looking at how many starts and how many upperclassmen we're returning on the OL and that makes us look really good on paper and that is often a pretty good predictor of success. But he has no idea what our depth situation is and he doesn't take into account just how inefficient our offense was last season. That LSU comparison seems really optimistic given that they averaged 21 yards more per game in 2017 than we did last year. 

Btw, Steele had us picked to finish 2nd in the West last year. 

Yeah.. don't tail his picks. He's an information guy. His picks are barely 50%.

On 6/19/2019 at 3:37 PM, toddc said:

They have to play Florida on the road … LSU on the road,

Last two times AU played LSU and Florida on the road in the same season:

2007: 

AU 20 Florida 17

LSU 30 AU 24

1988: 

LSU 7 AU 6

AU 16 Florida 0

Three of the four games resulted in dramatic last-minute game-winning drives. 

1 hour ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Last two times AU played LSU and Florida on the road in the same season:

2007: 

AU 20 Florida 17

LSU 30 AU 24

1988: 

LSU 7 AU 6

AU 16 Florida 0

Three of the four games resulted in dramatic last-minute game-winning drives. 

Oddly enough Auburn seems to have UF number. Some Gainesville buddies use to dread playing us because for whatever reason we caused UM non-stop problems. Reminds me of Arkansas during the Tuberville days.

On 6/19/2019 at 6:34 PM, DAG said:

Number 5 offensive line in the country and number 2 defensive line. Wow. That’s pretty amazing.

:slapfh:

Another thing to note is that, although Steele has our o-line and d-line ranked as top 5 units, he does not project us to finish in the top 15 due to the difficulty of our schedule.

i bought steels mag last friday. it was cheaper at wally than amazon by ten bucks. but his mag is very informative and he uses stats and other things to reach his conclusions. i was impressed. only downer i saw was no cheerleader or majorettes. me and golf are going to start a petition on that pretty quick. this travesty will not stand man!

i forgot. some guy said something in thise thread about steele and betters. i always heard steele and danny the blood sucker bagman both were considered invaluable tools when it comes to betting? only betteing i ever did was buy a square or three on a couple of football boards.

16 hours ago, DAG said:

Oddly enough Auburn seems to have UF number. Some Gainesville buddies use to dread playing us because for whatever reason we caused UM non-stop problems.

Haven’t lost to Florida since 2002. And if Duval gets his kick higher than 6 feet, we win that one. 

I ran into a Florida fan during gameweek of the 2006 game. He was confident but not 100%. I told him if the game were being played during the day, we would lose. But against #1 Florida at night, I said remember 2001, you need to prepare for the upset. 

On 6/20/2019 at 10:21 AM, Win4AU said:

I’m not sure the low outputs against UGA and Bama had as much to do with the line than play calling.  The UGA game I feel like Auburn gave up trying to run the ball and went pass heavy in the second half.  The Iron Bowl I though was pretty decent through the first half but when Bama came out swinging in the 2nd Auburn went pass heavy again trying to keep up.  I’d have to go back and look at per run avg but I think it was decent.

From 6:20 in the 3rd quarter on we ran the ball 22 out of 28 snaps and. 21 of the last 25 offensive snaps.  I have never seen a coach quit on his team, but this is as close as it gets.  Like many, this was the last straw for me.  

2 hours ago, auburnphan said:

From 6:20 in the 3rd quarter on we ran the ball 22 out of 28 snaps and. 21 of the last 25 offensive snaps.  I have never seen a coach quit on his team, but this is as close as it gets.  Like many, this was the last straw for me.  

Sadly, I'm in the same boat with you phan.

It's hard to sit and watch your coaching staff lay down and give up vs your most hated rival.  I was there, and AU fans all around me were shocked to see him run the clock out and then the shock turned to pure laughter.  

Phil Steele has been bullish on Auburn in the past, but nothing compares to the 5th best offensive line in the country lol. We wont even have the 5th best offensive line in the state if one player gets hurt

I will make a "Doc to the rescue" prediction.....10-2 with a very nice bowl game is on tap for 2019. Not sure what 2 teams we will lose to as long as they are not Lsu & bammer...or Uga.  I am going to pick our 2 loses to be Florida & TAMU. We will win the rest!

4 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I will make a "Doc to the rescue" prediction.....10-2 with a very nice bowl game is on tap for 2019. Not sure what 2 teams we will lose to as long as they are not Lsu & bammer...or Uga.  I am going to pick our 2 loses to be Florida & TAMU. We will win the rest!

If we are able to beat Bama, UGA and LSU, I seriously would have to ask what the hell caused us to lose to the like of the GATORS and Aggies. Nevertheless, the season would be a success.

On 6/19/2019 at 6:34 PM, DAG said:

Number 5 offensive line in the country and number 2 defensive line. Wow. That’s pretty amazing.

Great!   But can they coach them?  🤔

45 minutes ago, DAG said:

If we are able to beat Bama, UGA and LSU, I seriously would have to ask what the hell caused us to lose to the like of the GATORS and Aggies. Nevertheless, the season would be a success.

just a hunch my friend! I would rather lose to TAMU & Florida than the other ones. I would rather lose 0 games as far as that goes!  Take care and WDE!!

Gotta remember than I predicted UK to win 10 games in 2018 and that we would beat Purdue 70-14. Got that one right in that Gatewood scored on his long run near the end of the game and it was missed. . I have actually gotten 4 out of 5 lottery numbers this past year and was one number off from getting all 5 right. 

My wife tells me that I have the gift of prophecy! Not sure about that though!  I just guess good once in a while!

58 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

just a hunch my friend! I would rather lose to TAMU & Florida than the other ones. I would rather lose 0 games as far as that goes!  Take care and WDE!!

Gotta remember than I predicted UK to win 10 games in 2018 and that we would beat Purdue 70-14. Got that one right in that Gatewood scored on his long run near the end of the game and it was missed. . I have actually gotten 4 out of 5 lottery numbers this past year and was one number off from getting all 5 right. 

My wife tells me that I have the gift of prophecy! Not sure about that though!  I just guess good once in a while!

If you haven't seen it,  you need to watch the movie Big Fish. 

7 hours ago, doc4aday said:

crack is a helluva drug...

15 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

crack is a helluva drug...

no drugs here my friend...just good old intuition !

21 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

If you haven't seen it,  you need to watch the movie Big Fish. 

never seen it! probably never will!

Archived