2020 OL Class Reset

ellitor

I think we close it out with Robinson only because I believe Coffee goes to Oregon. 

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/24/2019 at 8:33 AM, Mikey said:

When were those years? We signed Osborne last year, which was light with just one but we are re-stocking now. OT has not suffered through anything like the quality/quantity drought at LB between the classes of 2010 and 2015.

Good lord, you'd think arty some point you'd just admit you're wrong and move on.

24 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

Ok well Wright is on board,  so I think we close it out with Coffee now.   I think Wright could go inside too if needed. 

Yup. Wright is a swing OT/OG guy. Even if we miss on Coffee we may still add yet another juco OT to the class.

1 hour ago, Roos said:

I think we close it out with Robinson only because I believe Coffee goes to Oregon. 

Will be interesting to see if the other 2 jucos become priority over Robinson if that happens since we may want 1 more true OT in the class.

1 hour ago, Roos said:

I’m just not sure we take Robinson too.  I think (imo) it was one of the other Wright or Robinson.  For balance sake. 

On 7/22/2019 at 6:15 PM, ellitor said:

With Big Z on the board we now have 5 OL committed to the class

4* OG/C Tate Johnson
4* OT Javion Cohen
3* OG Avery Jernigan
3* #1 Juco OT Kilian Zierer
3* #5 Juco OT Jonathan Buskey

The plan is to take 2-3 more. With us leading or in the thick of it for a number of guys it will be interesting to see which ones we land...

3* #2 Juco OT Brenden Coffey - AU leads
3* OT/OG Jeremiah Wright - AU leads
3* #2 Juco OG TJ Bass - AU in the thick of it
3* James Robinson - AU in top 2 with Vols
4* OG Chris Morris - Surprise BCW visitor. #AU #2 behind aTm.

The plan is 1 more OT, 0-1 Interior OL, & 0-1 swing guy.

Discuss...

I wonder if Jernigan, Zierer, Wright, Coffey have a chance to become 4 star rated?

41 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I wonder if Jernigan, Zierer, Wright, Coffey have a chance to become 4 star rated?

All but Wright have a good chance IMO.

5 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Good lord, you'd think arty some point you'd just admit you're wrong and move on.

Wrong about what? I said we'd be ok for 2019 and we are. Two months ago I said that measures would be taken to address 2020 and 2021 and those measures are being taken. Since we seem to be ever so desperately searching for something to criticize, "Lord" should be capitalized. I'll just ignore your typo, everybody needs a little slack cut for them every now and then. :)

OP updated. Coffee may need to sure up his academics to be an early enrollee before AU would take him. No sense in bringing in jucos to compete to start game 1 if they aren't here for Spring ball.

30 minutes ago, ellitor said:

OP updated. Coffee may need to sure up his academics to be an early enrollee before AU would take him. No sense in bringing in jucos to compete to start game 1 if they aren't here for Spring ball.

I agree 100% with this. Most (but not all) of these JUCO prospects are in JUCO because of high school grade issues. If they haven't straightened that issue out in time to report for Spring practice at their next school, they pose too much of a risk. "JUCO's don't sign to redshirt". The flip side of that is colleges don't want to sign JUCO's that can't show up early.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

I’ve read elsewhere that Buskey has work to do too. Have you heard that?

Just now, Gowebb11 said:

I’ve read elsewhere that Buskey has work to do too. Have you heard that?

Nope. With jucos though you never know.

On 7/22/2019 at 6:15 PM, ellitor said:

With Big Z & J-Wright on the board we now have 6 OL committed to the class

3* OG/C Tate Johnson
4* OT Javion Cohen
3* OG Avery Jernigan
3* OT/OG Jeremiah Wright

With us leading or in the thick of it for a number of guys it will be interesting to see which one we land if we take another one...

AU may take 1 more OL in the class

Discuss...

-So Coffey would be my first choice, but seems unlikely with the 2 juco OTs
-Robinson looking like a Vol

That leaves Bass and Morris, a JUCO OG and a high school OG. We've got 2 true high school OGs already and a high school OT/OG. Am I summarizing this correctly?

Do any of the guards committed or targeted project as a strong candidate to play center? 

19 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That leaves Bass and Morris, a JUCO OG and a high school OG. We've got 2 true high school OGs already and a high school OT/OG. Am I summarizing this correctly?

No but you didn't have all the info available to you. There's been a lot of info movement lately. It looks like if we take another OL in the class it will be at OT if Cohen is ok with it. We appear to be done at OG with landing Wright. Names to potentially watch at OT are 3* jucos Brandon Coleman & Tairiq Stewart plus a big, athletic newbie to football in Darius Gaddy.

19 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Do any of the guards committed or targeted project as a strong candidate to play center? 

Tate Johnson

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

No but you didn't have all the info available to you. There's been a lot of info movement lately. It looks like if we take another OL in the class it will be at OT if Cohen is ok with it. We appear to be done at OG with landing Wright. Names to potentially watch at OT are 3* jucos Brandon Coleman & Tairiq Stewart plus a big, athletic newbie to football in Darius Gaddy.

Tate Johnson

All good things and much appreciated as always, bro!

2 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Heard differently,

Nope. Just haven't seen his name mentioned with AU or by AU reporters.

I hope we hold the final spot for a big-time HS Offensive Tackle - Omari Thomas, Jalen Rivers, Marcus Dumerville, etc. You never know which one of these guys we can make a run at if we have a big season. I would also be happy with Chris Morris.

3 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

I hope we hold the final spot for a big-time HS Offensive Tackle - Omari Thomas, Jalen Rivers, Marcus Dumerville, etc. You never know which one of these guys we can make a run at if we have a big season. I would also be happy with Chris Morris.

It's not really a final spot. It's just a preferred number posted on this message board and it's flexible, depending on circumstances. As with all 22 positions on the field, if some super prospect wants to commit at the last minuet we will have room.

On 7/25/2019 at 7:29 AM, McLoofus said:

Oh, and the fact that our only OT to get drafted since 2016- and likely until 2021- was recruited to be a defensive end probably isn't a good sign. 

Recruits and their parents know this ^^^ and that makes it exponentially harder to bring in top rated 4-5*'s on a consistent basis.

On 7/22/2019 at 5:15 PM, ellitor said:

With Big Z & J-Wright on the board we now have 6 OL committed to the class

3* OG/C Tate Johnson
4* OT Javion Cohen
3* OG Avery Jernigan
3* OT/OG Jeremiah Wright

With us leading or in the thick of it for a number of guys it will be interesting to see which one we land if we take another one...

AU may take 1 more OL in the class

Discuss...

Are we sure AU still leads for Coffey?  I've seen some rumblings that Oregon may lead for him now. 

1 hour ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Are we sure AU still leads for Coffey?

No. Look up a few posts. The OP is now out of date.

5 hours ago, keesler said:

Recruits and their parents know this ^^^ and that makes it exponentially harder to bring in top rated 4-5*'s on a consistent basis.

@McLoofus (I’m lazy and can’t find your quote so I just tagged you 😂) I don’t think it is too bad.  If you think about it, we will have had three left OT’s drafted (Robinson, Coleman, Tega).  If you wanted you could also include Golson.  I don’t think we have had a starting left OT not drafted with Gus.  Maybe I am missing one that didn’t get drafted though.  Am I?  Mental block at the moment.  

Archived