2020 OL Class Reset

ellitor

10 hours ago, autan said:

Pretty sure Ziemba was drafted but Gus was just OC that year.

You're right. He went in the 7th round and never made an NFL roster. 

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, abw0004 said:

@McLoofus (I’m lazy and can’t find your quote so I just tagged you 😂) I don’t think it is too bad.  If you think about it, we will have had three left OT’s drafted (Robinson, Coleman, Tega).  If you wanted you could also include Golson.  I don’t think we have had a starting left OT not drafted with Gus.  Maybe I am missing one that didn’t get drafted though.  Am I?  Mental block at the moment.  

Braden Smith was a guard but is playing OT in the NFL and as I remember Grimes recruited him to be an OT. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/21/2019 at 7:19 AM, AUDevil said:

Mikey’s already got him penciled in on his 5 deep depth chart at OL.

We already have plenty of OL depth, it's been that way for the last couple of years and will continue into the future. We'll need this guy at linebacker.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

We already have plenty of OL depth, it's been that way for the last couple of years and will continue into the future. We'll need this guy at linebacker.

Did you miss this sick burn back when it was posted in June?

18 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

He was waiting for us to identify 10 scholarship offensive linemen on the roster. We moved Alex Jackson over from DL awhile back, so he probably just forgot to come back to it. To be fair, he's had a lot on his plate. These wild claims about offensive line depth aren't just going to make themselves up, after all. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

He was waiting for us to identify 10 scholarship offensive linemen on the roster. We moved Alex Jackson over from DL awhile back, so he probably just forgot to come back to it. To be fair, he's had a lot on his plate. These wild claims about offensive line depth aren't just going to make themselves up, after all. 

I listed the 17 scholarship OL players that were on the roster at the time, a fact which you know quite well.

2 hours ago, AUDevil said:

I don't normally look at recruiting threads about prospects that are two years in advance. Right now I don't know what caused me to look at this one last night. Maybe because there's not much current news at this time?

Again, we have numbers but need to road graders like the have adjacent to us if we want our O 2 work.  We cannot have down years on the O line like last yr.  

It is sad we cannot capture any momentum from our guys that go pro

On 9/27/2019 at 10:18 AM, lala said:

Again, we have numbers but need to road graders like the have adjacent to us if we want our O 2 work.  We cannot have down years on the O line like last yr.  

It is sad we cannot capture any momentum from our guys that go pro

No doubt, and people are complaining about the last two years of Online play, next year will be a whole new offensive line probably. Scary

• 2 weeks later...

No doubt about it, our OL will likely be of lesser quality than 2019 with the loss of all of the senior linemen for 2020 season. We will likely take some hits with overall blocking than what we have this season. It takes most OL a year or 2 to become seasoned enough to be good SEC linemen.  I do not see 2020 being a better season with win totals than what we will have this year.

I do not want to sound overly negative, but there is always a chance we could lose to Arkansas and Ole Miss. Nothing is a sure thing. I think we will win those games and maybe more, but you never know in the SEC except maybe Vandy this season. If the Good Lord forbid and we lose 6 games and wind up 6-6, then Gus would in all likelihood be replaced.

If this happens, I love Matt Ruhle at Baylor and PJ Fleck at Minnesota. Those are young coaches who are proving themselves as winners at their current schools. I know this is very premature, but it is something we should have in the back of our minds.  I do think we have a solid chance of going anywhere from 8-4 to 9-3 or maybe a win more. Go 9-3 and win a bowl game would be a nice season no doubt. Even going 9-4 with a bowl win would be nice and enough to keep Gus around another year. If we go 6-6 things could get ugly coaching wise.

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

No doubt about it, our OL will likely be of lesser quality than 2019 with the loss of all of the senior linemen for 2020 season. We will likely take some hits with overall blocking than what we have this season. It takes most OL a year or 2 to become seasoned enough to be good SEC linemen.  I do not see 2020 being a better season with win totals than what we will have this year.

I do not want to sound overly negative, but there is always a chance we could lost to Arkansas and Ole Miss. Nothing is a sure thing. I think we will win those games and maybe more, but you never know in the SEC except maybe Vandy this season. If the Good Lord forbid and we lose 6 games and wind up 6-6, then Gus would in all likelihood be replaced.

If this happens, I love Matt Ruhle at Baylor and PJ Fleck at Minnesota. Those are young coaches who are proving themselves as winners at their current schools. I know this is very premature, but it is something we should have in the back of our minds.  I do think we have a solid chance of going anywhere from 8-4 to 9-3 or maybe a win more. Go 9-3 and win a bowl game would be a nice season no doubt. Even going 9-4 with a bowl win would be nice and enough to keep Gus around another year. If we go 6-6 things could get ugly coaching wise.

You are not being negative, only somewhat realistic about next year. If Gatewood transfers after this season and Bo gets hurt, next year could be a disaster.

3 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I do not want to sound overly negative, but there is always a chance we could lose to Arkansas and Ole Miss. Nothing is a sure thing. I think we will win those games and maybe more, but you never know in the SEC except maybe Vandy this season. If the Good Lord forbid and we lose 6 games and wind up 6-6, then Gus would in all likelihood be replaced.

Please leave the Gus hot seat talk in the football forum & not in recruiting threads or the recruiting forum. Thanks!

2 hours ago, PUB78 said:

If Gatewood transfers after this season and Bo gets hurt, next year could be a disaster.

If Gatewood were to leave AU would bring in another QB immediately FWIW.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Please leave the Gus hot seat talk in the football forum & not in recruiting threads or the recruiting forum. Thanks!

will do!  Our Braves broke our hearts with the cardinals. We should have won either the 1st or the next to the last game with the cards. I hope the nationals win the series and then get spanked by the Dodgers.  I think we might see a Dodger vs Yankees series when it comes to that.

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

will do!  Our Braves broke our hearts with the cardinals. We should have won either the 1st or the next to the last game with the cards. I hope the nationals win the series and then get spanked by the Dodgers.  I think we might see a Dodger vs Yankees series when it comes to that.

It's not OL news but just to clarify, the Nationals already eliminated the Dodgers. 

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

If Gatewood were to leave AU would bring in another QB immediately FWIW.

I would hope so, but who? Juco, high schooler or GT?

1 hour ago, jared52 said:

How?

Not bird, but seems to me that we have a few guys coming in that are not as experienced but likely have a higher celing than this current oline.  I think we have some guys who are fairly smart about their assignments (ex caleb kim) but who are inferior athletically to players behind them.  Gus puts emphasis on correct assignments which is fine I suppose but at the end of the day players make plays.

1 hour ago, jared52 said:

How?

We have the nicest and sweetest OL in the nation.  The ones coming in and backing them up have a little more nastiness in them. 

Our current OL can't drive block anyone off the LoS. They make contact and their feet just stop.  

9 hours ago, jared52 said:

How?

Likely will have more raw talent at 3, if not 4, of the OL positions. Kilian Zierer (who is having a big season in juco), Bro-Hamm, & Trox all have more talent than Driscoll. If Bro-Hamm doesn't win an OT spot he has more talent than maybe 1 or both OGs so he could slide back down. Jernigan, Osborne, Stutts, & Keiondre Jones have more talent than one & some both OGs. Tate Johnson, Irvin & Brahms have more talent than Kim. The only position we will not have more raw talent is Buskey or Zierer replacing Tega at LT. Just a matter of kids being coached up, developing, & gelling together.

9 hours ago, PUB78 said:

I would hope so, but who? Juco, high schooler or GT?

A GT or Juco aint coming to sit behind Bo for 2 years. It will be a high schooler or young transfer who can RS Bo's soph year.

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

The ones coming in and backing them up have a little more nastiness & talent in them.

FIFY

24 minutes ago, ellitor said:

A GT or Juco aint coming to sit behind Bo for 2 years. It will be a high schooler or young transfer who can RS Bo's soph year.

That is the point I am trying to make, if Gatewood leaves and Bo happens to get injured, who is going to lead the team to victories? I don’t see McCord or the freshman that is committed to us being able to do so.

36 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

That is the point I am trying to make, if Gatewood leaves and Bo happens to get injured, who is going to lead the team to victories? I don’t see McCord or the freshman that is committed to us being able to do so.

Likely whoever the new guy coming is. No point worrying about it though unless Joey actually transfers.

Archived