2020 OL Class Reset

ellitor

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Really e........................................

Just when I thought he was getting the hang of it!

If we're taking 3 then I really hope Coffee is one of them.  Law of averages as for panning out and being able to redshirt at least one makes him a take in my book.

2 hours ago, toddc said:

Just when I thought he was getting the hang of it!

I'm hit or miss.

Coffee is still a take & high priority for AU per JLee. If we land him in August will AU push for Robinson & Wright to go ahead & commit to potentially close out the OL class?

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I'm hit or miss.

You've made strides. It used to be miss or miss

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

You've made strides. It used to be miss or miss

Yup! I used to be...

8l5qKw.gif

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

That doesn't make sense with our OL depth...

I agree. They'll be trippin' all over each other by the '20 and '21 seasons. Probably have to increase the size of the already overcrowded OL room.

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

I agree. They'll be trippin' all over each other by the '20 and '21 seasons. Probably have to increase the size of the already overcrowded OL room.

Somebody be trippin', that much is true.

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Somebody be trippin', that much is true.

It's so overcrowded we are dedicating 28-32% of our most precious resource to securing more of them.

30 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It's so overcrowded we are dedicating 28-32% of our most precious resource to securing more of them.

Kevin Steele's fault.  

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Some years we sign more of one group, another year more of another group. That's how it's always gone. Also, that's why a fan can't look three full seasons ahead and have a heart attack about depth at some random position in 2021. There's time to address the issue and it's being addressed, as per this thread. Next recruiting season we'll be emphasizing a different position. So we won't be caught short there in 2022. The wheel goes 'round and 'round.

The only glaring exception to this was the poor LB recruiting for the years leading up to 2015. That was bad. 2016 was another bust at LB but since then we've been within reason there, as we have with all positions for the past few years.

15 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The only glaring exception to this was the poor LB recruiting for the years leading up to 2015. That was bad. 2016 was another bust at LB but since then we've been within reason there, as we have with all positions for the past few years.

But not the glaring years when we don't sign any OT right? 

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

When were those years? We signed Osborne last year, which was light with just one but we are re-stocking now. OT has not suffered through anything like the quality/quantity drought at LB between the classes of 2010 and 2015.

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

OT = "some random position"

LB = "the only thing that matters in a very tight space that doesn't have room for superfluous nonsense like offensive linemen or quarterbacks"

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

Coffee is still a take & high priority for AU per JLee. If we land him in August will AU push for Robinson & Wright to go ahead & commit to potentially close out the OL class?

Coffee, Wright, and Robinson? I know Robinson is a projected guard. But you think they’ll take 2 more tackles if they wanted to commit?

31 minutes ago, Mikey said:

When were those years? 

2016: Sammons & Hamm

2017: Troxell & Ashley

2018: none

2019: Osborn (maybe)

5 tackles in 4 years for 2 positions...

One has left (Ashley)

One won't play and has had to be convinced multiple times not to hang it up (Sammons)

One has bad knees and is injury prone(Troxell)

One has played guard his entire time at AU (Hamm)

One is a tweener that most think will be a guard (Osborne)

18 minutes ago, bigbird said:

2016: Sammons & Hamm

2017: Troxell & Ashley

2018: none

2019: Osborn (maybe)

5 tackles in 4 years for 2 positions...

One has left (Ashley)

One won't play and has had to be convinced multiple times not to hang it up (Sammons)

One has bad knees and is injury prone(Troxell)

One has played guard his entire time at AU (Hamm)

One is a tweener that most think will be a guard (Osborne)

Well, we mostly only run 1-tackle sets, soooo what's the issue?

Okay, so JB Grimes did say in an interview that he wanted more tackles because we played 2-tackle sets against a couple SEC teams. I mean, not for most of those games, which is plain as day if you bother to actually watch the Google Search of the games in question before embarrassing yourself on a message board. But for some of them. I mean, it's not like an offensive line coach would have any reason to upsell the need for more shiny new offensive linemen. I mean, it's not like being aggressive and opportunistic might make a guy more successful than his peers in securing the commitments of blue chip players in his position group...

But in reality we mostly only run 1-tackle sets. 

(Niche joke there. I don't expect anyone to follow, least of all the silly goose I'm goofing on.)

This class is going a long way to fix the problems of the past 4 years. I'm thrilled about that. To pretend that our Tackle recruiting hasn't been plain awful is dumb.

That said, we shouldn't have to have a class with 7+ OL that include at least two day 1, immediate help starters. We need those type of players because our OT recruiting has simply sucked and there is zero depth at tackle. Period.

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

Coffee, Wright, and Robinson? I know Robinson is a projected guard. But you think they’ll take 2 more tackles if they wanted to commit?

Wright is a swing guy who projects at OT or OG depended on where he is needed.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Wright is a swing guy who projects at OT or OG depended on where he is needed.

E, if you have the time, could you link the profiles to the remaining potential OL recruits in this thread as a reference , please. 

Archived