Auburn VS Oregon Discussion (Merged Threads)

aucanucktiger

Easy to forget (understandably) we beat Washington this year. What a joke the Pac-12 is. Interestingly, we’re undefeated against every regular season OOC opponent not named Clemson in the decade since Tubs left.

Safe to bet on Oregon though. And honestly it might be for the best—do we really want Malzahn to have a legit case to stay? I sure as hell don’t.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have zero expectations for this game . I do firmly believe AU has the talent to win . I know this is my go to , but if shivers and whitlow get the offense going and AU can play keep away . They can win in Arlington 

15 hours ago, Tiger said:

Not good for us. Any games before October is bad news for Gus and throw in the fact that he doesn't trust Malik Willis and won't trust Joey G or Bo Nix as freshman (plus inevitably losing key defensive pieces) we will be lucky to keep this one close IMO

Gus won't even know what kind of team he has until the 3rd or 4th game.  I look for Chandler Cox and WILD BILL HASTINGS to play a significant role in the gameplan. 

Also, Jacobs should've been fired the moment he accepted this game in ATL instead of setting up a home and home.  The value of $$$ over the fans has been obvious for over a decade now, when Jacobs first referred to us as customers.  Deere Lourde, I hope Greene is the man we need him to be.

2 hours ago, thrustmaxwell said:

Gus won't even know what kind of team he has until the 3rd or 4th game.  I look for Chandler Cox and WILD BILL HASTINGS to play a significant role in the gameplan. 

Also, Jacobs should've been fired the moment he accepted this game in ATL instead of setting up a home and home.  The value of $$$ over the fans has been obvious for over a decade now, when Jacobs first referred to us as customers.  Deere Lourde, I hope Greene is the man we need him to be.

How is Cox going to be in the game plan? And no college actually cares about its fans that much. It's always about the money. That's the way it is in America in general 

2 hours ago, thrustmaxwell said:

Not sure if you are kidding but of course Cox eligibility is done after tomorrow and fwiw the game is in Arlington, TX.

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

How is Cox going to be in the game plan? And no college actually cares about its fans that much. It's always about the money. That's the way it is in America in general 

Do you think Gus has any clue about Cox's eligibility?

19 hours ago, Tiger said:

Not good for us. Any games before October is bad news for Gus and throw in the fact that he doesn't trust Malik Willis and won't trust Joey G or Bo Nix as freshman (plus inevitably losing key defensive pieces) we will be lucky to keep this one close IMO

My question for you...who trusts Gus?

10 hours ago, AUwent said:

Interestingly, we’re undefeated against every regular season OOC opponent not named Clemson in the decade since Tubs left.

K-State and UW are the only notable attempts...

3 minutes ago, Duder said:

Coming off 2012, there were several that were worried about Washington State in 2013 and for good reason. 

22 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Ducks also (IMHO oddly) just landed the #1 (#2 24/7) h.s. recruit for this cycle - a manimal DE predicted by many to dominate a la Clowney from day 1.

Gus beat Clowney in 2011 at SC. 

59 minutes ago, Duder said:

WVU is included in that "decade since Tubs left" part.

I'm just saying, for the sake of years to come when we have P5 OOC games scheduled (and hopefully after 2019 have a new coach), we should stop being automatically afraid of P5 OOC opponents. If JJ hadn't had such a (word that rhymes with loner) for Clemson, our record in such games would be dramatically better.

15 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Gus beat Clowney in 2011 at SC. 

Lol if we faced a DE of Clowney's caliber this past season Stidham would've left the field on a stretcher.

Remember Gus' genius plan to have Braden Smith pull from his LG position to try to block Myles Garrett on the opposite side? TWICE??? After Myles Garrett decapitated poor Sean White on the first one Gus' called it again and Garrett, untouched, almost swallowed SW whole.

20 minutes ago, AUwent said:

If JJ hadn't had such a (word that rhymes with loner) for Clemson, our record in such games would be dramatically better.

I freaking hate that Clemson not only took what was looking to be our spot in the college football world but has pansted us multiple times in the process.

25 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Lol if we faced a DE of Clowney's caliber this past season Stidham would've left the field on a stretcher.

Remember Gus' genius plan to have Braden Smith pull from his LG position to try to block Myles Garrett on the opposite side? TWICE??? After Myles Garrett decapitated poor Sean White on the first one Gus' called it again and Garrett, untouched, almost swallowed SW whole.

Stidham took quite a few nasty hits in two seasons and always got up and played the next play. 

4 hours ago, thrustmaxwell said:

Do you think Gus has any clue about Cox's eligibility?

Don't know, but I know at least one poster on to this site doesn't have a clue...;-)

This is going to be one of those seasons that could go either way.  You never know with Gus.  I think another 7-5 or possible 8-4 season that is vintage Gus Malzahn through and through will happen. We will win some games we should not win and lose some that we should not have lost. not sure where Oregon fits in though.

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

Remember Gus' genius plan to have Braden Smith pull from his LG position

Gus isn’t tbe OL coach. That was Hand’s call. 

26 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Gus isn’t tbe OL coach. That was Hand’s call. 

Is that how that works? I am under the assumption Gus called the play and if the play dictates that the guard pulls then he pulls. Not the OL coach saying ok on this play go pull and block Garrett.

30 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Is that how that works? I am under the assumption Gus called the play and if the play dictates that the guard pulls then he pulls. Not the OL coach saying ok on this play go pull and block Garrett.

That should be the OL line coach call. I’ve actually seen that protection technique done by other teams.

42 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

That should be the OL line coach call. I’ve actually seen that protection technique done by other teams.

Gotcha. I've also seen it as pulling guards is common. Just not deployed against a #1 pick who's strength was getting to the QB quickly lol . 

I get it. We wanted to nut up and put our hoss (Braden) against TAMU's hoss to start the game and send a message. Unfortunately Sean White was on the receiving end of said message. Loud and clear lol

8 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I've also seen it as pulling guards is common.

It is extremely common in run blocking. Not so much in pass blocking. It carries the risk of the guard not being able to get to the edge rusher in time which is what happened with Smith.

2 hours ago, doc4aday said:

This is going to be one of those seasons that could go either way.  You never know with Gus.  I think another 7-5 or possible 8-4 season that is vintage Gus Malzahn through and through will happen. We will win some games we should not win and lose some that we should not have lost. not sure where Oregon fits in though.

8-4 would be the worst possible scenario. How bad would we look? And no, I'm not talking about Moon's little fanfic.

Archived