Practice News & Notes: 8/12

ellitor

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

You know it's funny, either under or over throwing could be more dangerous depending on your style of play.

True.

On the other hand, a perfect throw is so beautiful.

Forget Bo or Joey or Seth or Flash.  Here's a pass/catch combo we can count on...

rockstar.gif

Probably the most we’ve heard yet:

-- As for the quarterback competition, freshman Bo Nix took the first reps during nearly all of the drills that the media was able to watch, including an abbreviated pace period. Nix appeared to be the more accurate of the passers on Monday, as well.

So Bo spinning the ball everytime he gets it thrown to him. Is that to simulate the center's hike or is it a habit that he has to spin it so vigorously? Do most QBs do that? And do they do that in game play? I know he's turning it to get his fingers on the laces, but it seems a little much. Not making any comment on his skill, just asking, because I don't know..

44 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

True.

On the other hand, a perfect throw is so beautiful.

Forget Bo or Joey or Seth or Flash.  Here's a pass/catch combo we can count on...

rockstar.gif

Thats not Canella is it?

1 hour ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

Better video on QB's. Bo wasn't head and shoulders above Joey in anything I saw IMO. In the Target Practice drill, Bo was consistently overthrowing the target, especially when throwing to his left. 

Great to see you brother! Hope you’re doing well!

I could tell y’all that Gatewood would not be as accurate as the legacy QB. The dissatisfaction in who keeps running out on the field first though. smh

12 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

So Bo spinning the ball everytime he gets it thrown to him. Is that to simulate the center's hike or is it a habit that he has to spin it so vigorously? Do most QBs do that? And do they do that in game play? I know he's turning it to get his fingers on the laces, but it seems a little much. Not making any comment on his skill, just asking, because I don't know..

That's exactly what he's doing, and no I don't think it's excessive. If you want to see excessive, watch Jake Fromm. Alternatively, Gatewood doesn't appear to be concerned with finding the laces at all. That would have never worked for me, if anything because of a lack of consistency in my grip. That's said, Joey's hands are probably huge, and some guys are more comfortable than others gripping the ball without the laces.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Toward the end of practice, the quarterbacks were throwing to running backs and H-backs on various routes out of the backfield.

tenor.gif

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Roger McCreary and Devin Guice lined up at corner, with Malcolm Askew at nickle, and Jamien Sherwood and Zion Puckett at safety.

Ummm... where's Smoke?

based off who was on first and second team in those pace drills I’m not sure you can deduce anything.  Seth was 2nd team and you know that’s not happening.   Boobie, Worm, and Kam aren’t even listed.  Wednesday will tell a better story.  

18 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Thats not Canella is it?

Seems like him.  Yes....yes it could be. 

14 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

That's exactly what he's doing, and no I don't think it's excessive. If you want to see excessive, watch Jake Fromm. Alternatively, Gatewood doesn't appear to be concerned with finding the laces at all. That would have never worked for me, if anything because of a lack of consistency in my grip. That's said, Joey's hands are probably huge, and some guys are more comfortable than others gripping the ball without the laces.

I believe Cam just grabbed it however whenever, I could be wrong though

7 minutes ago, Barnacle said:
23 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Yes, it's just a simulation of how they'll receive the ball from center since they run 99.8% of their plays from the shotgun.   Back when I played, the QB would hold the ball horizontally in front of him and slap his opposite hand on it to simulate taking the snap from under Center.

As for the laces, growing up we ALL used the laces but many QB's don't care.  In fact, I *think* Nick didn't care about them.  Here's a pic I copied from our buddy @GwillMac6 's footer.  Note the laces actually under his thumb.

It's funny the nuances you pick up over the years.

AUBWIS_5-650x342.jpg

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I believe Cam just grabbed it however whenever, I could be wrong though

On quick drops/throws I think you're right, and I think that's probably as far as it extends for Joey as well. 

Archived