Byron Cowart

WFE12

Well at least another Auburn man is the one that got him to see the light. War Eagle Jimmy and Byron. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish he had stayed for his senior year at Maryland to get another good year under his belt. I hope the NFL works out for him.

What Cowart said does not surprise me at all. The transition from being at the top of the world at one level, purely based on innate talent, to being a newbie at the next level among many talented teammates can be a challenge for many athletes.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Not a good goal. That kid is still too lazy to live up to his own potential.

Are you aware that Clowney has made 3 straight pro bowls in his 5 years in the NFL? What else can you ask for? 18.5 sacks over the last 2 seasons.  He's a stud, man.

Ironic - the player is more forthright about this not being an auburn "failure" then positions taken by the Alabama media and even many on this board. 

20 hours ago, Zeek said:

Not a good goal. That kid is still too lazy to live up to his own potential.

Clowney?

On 3/6/2019 at 2:19 PM, Tiger said:

Are you aware that Clowney has made 3 straight pro bowls in his 5 years in the NFL? What else can you ask for? 18.5 sacks over the last 2 seasons.  He's a stud, man.

And got franchise tagged 

Yeah, I’ll go ahead and say I’d be great with Auburn finding the next Clowney. 

Good to hear that Byron seems to have gotten his head straight. Wish he could have shown out at Auburn, but sometimes those are just the breaks. Hopefully he'll have a good career in the NFL. Always love to hear humility out of athletes like him.

• 5 months later...

I love Coach G. Think he is a great recruiter. I just wonder sometimes about his actual coaching abilities. I know that sounds insane, but hear me out. The guys who have been successful under G were huge recruits coming out of high school. Lawson, Mon Adams, Jeff Holland, Nick Coe, Marlon Davidson, Derrick Brown. 

These guys were solid and improved while they were here, but none of them by leaps and bounds. None of them became game changer caliber like a Nick Fairley or Q. Groves (arguably Holland was close in 2017).

We have also yet to see Coach G take a nobody and make them a somebody. It all leads me to believe the guy isn't a great developer. And I wonder if the drill sergeant stuff is a factor.

Ass chewing is fine. But I think the forever-disappointed stuff brings negative energy. I've noticed whenever Coach G or his linemen are quoted in an article, it always sounds like they are all in trouble. "Marlon hasn't been listening to G. Moultry knows better than what he has been doing. Big Kat needs to come on." Etc. Always heard that with Byron.

Wouldn't trade Coach G. And don't blame him for Byron being a bust. But I feel like G's style may need some updating to elevate these kids' level of play. 

Disclaimer: the previous post is not cupcakery. I believe in coaching kids hard, especially in the trenches. But if that's all you do, kids will build up a tolerance and tune you out.

6 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Disclaimer: the previous post is not cupcakery. I believe in coaching kids hard, especially in the trenches. But if that's all you do, kids will build up a tolerance and tune you out.

I think a lot of what you said in that post might have merit. RG was probably coached that way. He also has had some success coaching that way so if it works on one he may think it works on everyone. Not true of course but he may not know another way. Everyone responds to that type of coaching or leadership but the way they respond is the difference. Some people respond to critical analysis as a call to step up, others just retreat and deflect. I wish Cowart well. 

3 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I love Coach G. Think he is a great recruiter. I just wonder sometimes about his actual coaching abilities. I know that sounds insane, but hear me out. The guys who have been successful under G were huge recruits coming out of high school. Lawson, Mon Adams, Jeff Holland, Nick Coe, Marlon Davidson, Derrick Brown. 

These guys were solid and improved while they were here, but none of them by leaps and bounds. None of them became game changer caliber like a Nick Fairley or Q. Groves (arguably Holland was close in 2017).

We have also yet to see Coach G take a nobody and make them a somebody. It all leads me to believe the guy isn't a great developer. And I wonder if the drill sergeant stuff is a factor.

Ass chewing is fine. But I think the forever-disappointed stuff brings negative energy. I've noticed whenever Coach G or his linemen are quoted in an article, it always sounds like they are all in trouble. "Marlon hasn't been listening to G. Moultry knows better than what he has been doing. Big Kat needs to come on." Etc. Always heard that with Byron.

Wouldn't trade Coach G. And don't blame him for Byron being a bust. But I feel like G's style may need some updating to elevate these kids' level of play. 

Dee Ford?

Archived