Did Gus Get Out-Coached

AU-24

https://247sports.com/Article/Mario-Cristobal-Oregon-Auburn-game-management-timeout-Bo-Nix-Justin-Herbert-135054960/

The Ducks led by as many as 15 points in the second half, but a series of game-management questions combined with adjustments on the Auburn end saw the Ducks blow the lead and lose 26-21 in a heart breaker.

The primary culprit in the aftermath of Oregon giving away a 21-6 second-half lead was Cristobal himself, as those nine seconds never should have been on the clock.

Who cares? We won the game so it really doesn’t matter. Whether he did or didn’t. Seems he made the right calls at the right time. People just like to start crap because they jus don’t like Gus. I guess it will be this way until he leaves. Support the team it sure seems like the players support his m as their coach. The question is irrelevant in my opinion if you win the game. 

I think Cristobal is a heck of an O line coach and their D-line is very good too.   With a Sr QB, and his O & D lines he has a very solid team, one we did not need to playing the opening gm of the season w/ a true fresh QB.   

how do you manage to come up with this thread title from an article which notes that the one out coached was Cristabol. please explain

15 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

https://247sports.com/Article/Mario-Cristobal-Oregon-Auburn-game-management-timeout-Bo-Nix-Justin-Herbert-135054960/

The Ducks led by as many as 15 points in the second half, but a series of game-management questions combined with adjustments on the Auburn end saw the Ducks blow the lead and lose 26-21 in a heart breaker.

The primary culprit in the aftermath of Oregon giving away a 21-6 second-half lead was Cristobal himself, as those nine seconds never should have been on the clock.

Gonna re-write history huh?   No doubt that Oregon made some mistakes on clock management but no way to really make the case ...considering that when you change one thing the other side adjusts in some fashion.   Otherwise, glad we went for the TD...if the pass had failed, could have still gone for the FG but we all know that FGs are never automatic...

9 minutes ago, shabby said:

how do you manage to come up with this thread title from an article which notes that the one out coached was Cristabol. please explain

So you don’t like the thread title? It certainly got your attention.

My obvious point: Gus haters scream at his coaching, where it was Cristabol that was outcoached.

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

So you don’t like the thread title? It certainly got your attention.

My obvious point: Gus haters scream at his coaching, where it was Cristabol that was outcoached.

your obvious point got lost in the title

I don’t think the bait title was necessary but yeah that was questionable by Mario. More questionable than that was their willingness to be herded by us into only taking short passes. At a certain point it didn’t even look like they tried taking the top off anymore, it’s not like the running game didn’t still have us bringing guys up to the line 

5 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don’t think the bait title was necessary but yeah that was questionable by Mario. More questionable than that was their willingness to be herded by us into only taking short passes. At a certain point it didn’t even look like they tried taking the top off anymore, it’s not like the running game didn’t still have us bringing guys up to the line 

At least you realized it was a bait title.

Still don’t understand the nine second comment. The nine seconds were after the play, AU had like 21 on a running clock prior to that play starting. Is he saying they should have had more time if they had extra timeouts?  Then he says they could have rested their D if they had one of those timeouts left. So it doesn’t make sense. Sort of expect that from Pete Thamel though, he is a complete dumbass!!!

Cristobal sure is taking a beating today. Last night combined with the Stanford loss last year has a lot of folks on him. I’ve even read some “he’s learning on the job” comments. Sounds familiar. 

I’m no Gus fan but you have to give credit where credit is due. We went back to the running game 2nd half that gassed their defense. Gus didn’t shy away from letting Bo make plays instead of trying to hide him as he has done in the past.

Yes, there were some familiar Gus Bus head scratchers but admitting his faults publicly was big and much needed. I’m certainly not close to being sold as I want to see it the entire season. But Gus got it done. I’m just glad we got out with a win and have 2 games to get better before we face A&M. It’s a big win for the psyche of this team. 

In the end, Gus out coach Oregon. Reading their message boards, they are pissed at their OC for being conservative and not exploring a passing game beyond 5-10 yard throws in the 2nd half. Basically their OC went into a shell...much like we have described Gus doing with our offense with a lead. I can say it feels good to be on the other side...the right side because we know that feeling. 

Congrats to Gus for taking a small step forward and getting the win. Let’s build on it and keep evolving! 

1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

Cristobal sure is taking a beating today. Last night combined with the Stanford loss last year has a lot of folks on him. I’ve even read some “he’s learning on the job” comments. Sounds familiar. 

I see more comments about their fans wanting the OC to be fired. But you’re right, they are pairing losing to us and the Stanford loss together as a result of not being able to close out games in the 2nd half. 

Archived