Things I like about Gus

nixtosanders94

Runs a clean program. Players really like him. He seems to genuinely love Auburn.

As far as results: Recruits well (except OL haha). Has been on the sideline during some of the best years in Auburn history, whether it was as an off coord or coach. He brought us out of the depths of *&%! in 2013 after one of the worst years in program history. Has been to 2 SECCGs and the National Title game as a HC during a time when our biggest rivals are dominating college football. Never had a losing season. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Uh oh...it's magic...time to SHAKE IT UP. 

Yeah, he’s a lot like you, the dangerous type.

52 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Nobody bring up "Moving in Stereo" or this thread might go down the wrong path. 

Image result for judge reinhold gif

Doesn't anybody %*($!/& knock anymore?

Seriously though, one of the greatest songs of all time!

...beyond that I'll keep it on the path as I, uhhh.....

giphy (2).gif

26 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Doesn't anybody %*($!/& knock anymore?

Seriously though, one of the greatest songs of all time!

...beyond that I'll keep it on the path as I, uhhh.....

giphy (2).gif

That movie was hilarious.

Drive was probably my favorite Cars song. Hopefully the lyrics won't come to pass...

Who's gonna tell you when,
It's too late,
Who's gonna tell you things,
Aren't so great.
You can't go on, thinkin',
Nothings' wrong, but bye,
Who's gonna drive you home,
Tonight.?

10 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Drive was probably my favorite Cars song. Hopefully the lyrics won't come to pass...

It's too late,
Aren't so great.
Tonight.?

Bo freaking Nix!

13 minutes ago, gr82be said:

It's too late,
Aren't so great.
Tonight.?

Holy crap. There is a REALLY great dark comedy youtube video lurking in there. 

15 hours ago, gr82be said:

This is a tongue in cheek post so don't take it as a slam to Gus. I really do like him. With apologies to the movie...

10 Things I Hate About Gus

I hate how it always takes four games
For the offense to start to roll.
I hate the way you substitute
When we have first and goal.
I hate our backup quarterbacks
Are not allowed to pass.
I hate the way you slow us down
Instead of keeping your foot on the gas.
I hate that everyone seems to know 
The plays you're going to run.
I hate the times we've lost a game
I know we should have won.
I hate we've had talent to win it all
But the players have no rings.
I hate the fact you're likeable
In spite of all these things.
I hate the way you give me hope
Each and every Fall. 
But mostly I hate the way I don't hate you
Not even a little bit, not even at all.

To be fair,

1. keeping Gatewood from passing was a smart decision. If we opened it up with Gatewood, it would be on film for TAMU and other teams. It is better to hang on to the pass plays for games where we need him to throw. Then, when we do, it is unexpected.

2. I feel like the one about everyone knowing the plays is a little unfair. When he runs a predictable play (usually a dive or inside zone), people complain that it is bland. When he pulls out a trick play, people complain that we aren't running the ball enough and that we are being too cute. I've even caught myself doing this, and I'm  not in the the anti-Gus camp.

Still.. funny post.

37 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

To be fair,

1. keeping Gatewood from passing was a smart decision. If we opened it up with Gatewood, it would be on film for TAMU and other teams. It is better to hang on to the pass plays for games where we need him to throw. Then, when we do, it is unexpected.

2. I feel like the one about everyone knowing the plays is a little unfair. When he runs a predictable play (usually a dive or inside zone), people complain that it is bland. When he pulls out a trick play, people complain that we aren't running the ball enough and that we are being too cute. I've even caught myself doing this, and I'm  not in the the anti-Gus camp.

Still.. funny post.

Been reading all the back and forth about Gus sandbagging for SEC play.  I know this has been a theory bantied about since before I was born, regarding playing vanilla to save film, etc.  I'm not arguing whether it's true or not because, like everyone else here, I don't really know. 😁

However, my thought on that is this...not that THAT means anything.

What's the value of saving your "good plays" for SEC opponents if you never actually run them in a game situation, thus your players can't execute because they don't have the game experience? 

I mean, whether the play is expected, or not, you watch the QB overthrow a WR or RB or an O-lineman miss an assignment on film or in person, bad execution due to lack of experience is just as bad as failure due to the other team seeing a play on film once.

I played enough football to not buy this "vanilla theory".  Does a good coach have special plays designed to take advantage of specific weaknesses of a particular opponent?  Yes.

However, can a coach really afford to take Oregon & Tulane so lightly as to assume he can skate through without giving HIS best?  No.

#butgus, I suppose... But even with that, I don't buy it.  No, Gus is just running the offense the way he runs his offense.  Shouldn't surprise anyone... I doubt we'll see anything Saturday that we haven't already seen the last few years outside of a trick-play or three.

1 hour ago, AUFriction said:

To be fair,

Still.. funny post.

No offense to you personally, but screw this notion.  Hiding choice plays, throwing out a vanilla game plan, saving your cherry plays to keep them a secret are for programs that have to use trickeration and smoke 'n mirrors to overcome their deficiencies.   Run your damn offense, execute the fundamentals and dare the bastards to stop you.

WDE! 

26 minutes ago, keesler said:

No offense to you personally, but screw this notion.  Hiding choice plays, throwing out a vanilla game plan, saving your cherry plays to keep them a secret are for programs that have to use trickeration and smoke 'n mirrors to overcome their deficiencies.   Run your damn offense, execute the fundamentals and dare the bastards to stop you.

WDE! 

BF47DBC5-4D78-4C45-89EC-68FB6D2BC926.png

That’s what CGM is doing and people complain about “his” offense being run and want him to be something he’s not.

7 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Pretty sure we relied on Prechae, Billings, and Dunn.  Our best WR group graduated in 05 when Obo, Aro, and Mix left.  We had a bunch of young studs in 07 that never really amounted to anything - Slaughter and Hawthorne, and I think Zachary was redshirted.

Edit...looked it up...in 06 we still had Courtney Taylor along with Prechae, Rod Smith, Billings, and Dunn.  That was a great group that was criminally underused.

I am going to go back a little further when we had Sanders, Bailey, Goodson and Gosha (?) those guys were good. 

2 hours ago, AUFriction said:

To be fair,

I too am in the camp - this is not smart.  This is where Gus overthinks things and puts undue pressure on the players to execute something key in a difficult spot:   college station is LOUD and they will have every seat filled.

Put your players in the best position by playing and executing from week one.  Adjust as the season unfolds, unless you are not good at that (Hmmmm).   This also applies pressure to your opponent b/c they see a whole more stuff to worry over or prep for.  

You think they believe Gatewood can't toss a ball?   HE IS A QUARTERBACK!  This is not going to be a 'trick' for the QB to toss the ball.  

6 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I too am in the camp - this is not smart.  This is where Gus overthinks things and puts undue pressure on the players to execute something key in a difficult spot:   college station is LOUD and they will have every seat filled.

Put your players in the best position by playing and executing from week one.  Adjust as the season unfolds, unless you are not good at that (Hmmmm).   This also applies pressure to your opponent b/c they see a whole more stuff to worry over or prep for.  

You think they believe Gatewood can't toss a ball?   HE IS A QUARTERBACK!  This is not going to be a 'trick' for the QB to toss the ball.  

1DF4B6A2-BDB9-4EB6-8D4B-9A652131DA6B.jpeg

35 minutes ago, toddc said:

That’s what CGM is doing and people complain about “his” offense being run and want him to be something he’s not.

He can't be who he is Todd!  He has got to be something he's not or he won't survive at Auburn.  He's been allowed to run this show for years, bring in his staff, sign his players and the product he puts on the field averages 4-5 losses a freaking year.  That's not good enough.

My Lord, if Ed Orgeron and Steve Ensminger can make a wholesale change on offense in the off season and have their players executing it and producing massive points, then there's no reason why this staff can't do the same.

10 minutes ago, keesler said:

He can't be who he is Todd!  He has got to be something he's not or he won't survive at Auburn.  He's been allowed to run this show for years, bring in his staff, sign his players and the product he puts on the field averages 4-5 losses a freaking year.  That's not good enough.

My Lord, if Ed Orgeron and Steve Ensminger can make a wholesale change on offense in the off season and have their players executing it and producing massive points, then there's no reason why this staff can't do the same.

best post of the month!

Ed O has outcoached Gus (or Gus just 'was himself') twice now.   Not something to be proud of.

3 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Been reading all the back and forth about Gus sandbagging for SEC play.  I know this has been a theory bantied about since before I was born, regarding playing vanilla to save film, etc.  I'm not arguing whether it's true or not because, like everyone else here, I don't really know. 😁

However, my thought on that is this...not that THAT means anything.

What's the value of saving your "good plays" for SEC opponents if you never actually run them in a game situation, thus your players can't execute because they don't have the game experience? 

I mean, whether the play is expected, or not, you watch the QB overthrow a WR or RB or an O-lineman miss an assignment on film or in person, bad execution due to lack of experience is just as bad as failure due to the other team seeing a play on film once.

I played enough football to not buy this "vanilla theory".  Does a good coach have special plays designed to take advantage of specific weaknesses of a particular opponent?  Yes.

However, can a coach really afford to take Oregon & Tulane so lightly as to assume he can skate through without giving HIS best?  No.

#butgus, I suppose... But even with that, I don't buy it.  No, Gus is just running the offense the way he runs his offense.  Shouldn't surprise anyone... I doubt we'll see anything Saturday that we haven't already seen the last few years outside of a trick-play or three.

I disagree. We did have 1-2 trick plays in the Oregon game. We sugar huddled into an odd formation and threw it to Joiner on a wheel route. There was one other one that we ran that didn't work. We actually reused this play once against Tulane. We also ran some of the old trick plays (like the throwback screen play) several times over the first three games. The plays we ran against Tulane and Kent State were just things that there was already film on. When Joey came in during the 4th quarter, the games were more or less in hand. There was no reason to break those plays out. Besides, what is 1 rep against a tired, overmatched defense going to do for our offense? If the goal is to get them to practice running it properly, they can do that during practices without other teams having film to practice with. If the goal is confidence, it would be little value added to throw the ball against their winded defense, especially when you consider the cost of giving future opposing defenses something to study. 

I feel like I'm starting to sound like a broken record here, but this is a simple business principle... Decision= Value Added-Value Lost. In this case, the value added throwing the ball in garbage reps when the game is in hand does not exceed the value lost by keeping other teams in the dark. 

The only time I would have had Joey throw the ball in these two games would have been on 3rd and medium or 3rd and long situations, which is exactly what Gus did. I'm not sure if Gus did it to be strategic versus just doing it to be conservative on offense. It could have been both. But the decision was quite frankly the right one.

Note: Yes, I edited the post. Yes, I made a mistake saying clock rather than record.  I changed it because I believe in using words and phrases properly, and it bugs me to not have it corrected. But I'm sure someone that disagrees with me on here would try to turn it into some kind of insult if I don't put a note here explaining why I chose to edit the post. So, to defend myself against immature folks who choose to fixate on a misuse of a metaphor as if that means something about my intellect or my knowledge of football, I'm leaving this little note here. 

2 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

I love how the "let's actually say something positive about Gus" thread has again been hijacked by the Gus-haters.

Just like the thread "Let's get ready for .500 football" got hijacked by a bunch of soy boys and sensitive womenz.😛

It'll always be a battle on this board until we see a change from the consistent track this program has been on for the last 5 yrs.  Gus turning 9-3 would do wonders for the mood around here.  

2 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

I disagree. We did have 1-2 trick plays in the Oregon game. We sugar huddled into an odd formation and threw it to Joiner on a wheel route. There was one other one that we ran that didn't work. We actually reused this play once against Tulane. We also ran some of the old trick plays (like the throwback screen play) several times over the first three games. The plays we ran against Tulane and Kent State were just things that there was already film on. When Joey came in during the 4th quarter, the games were more or less in hand. There was no reason to break those plays out. Besides, what is 1 rep against a tired, overmatched defense going to do for our offense? If the goal is to get them to practice running it properly, they can do that during practices without other teams having film to practice with. If the goal is confidence, it would be little value added to throw the ball against their winded defense, especially when you consider the cost of giving future opposing defenses something to study. 

I feel like I'm starting to sound like a broken clock here, but this is a simple business principle... Decision= Value Added-Value Lost. In this case, the value added throwing the ball in garbage reps when the game is in hand does not exceed the value lost by keeping other teams in the dark. 

The only time I would have had Joey throw the ball in these two games would have been on 3rd and medium or 3rd and long situations, which is exactly what Gus did. I'm not sure if Gus did it to be strategic versus just doing it to be conservative on offense. It could have been both. But the decision was quite frankly the right one.

Facepalm?  Really?  How about just have the mature conversation instead?  These stupid "down-votes" & "facepalms"... millennial hogwash.

I would have been happy to discuss but instead I'll just point out that you're the one who called yourself a "broken clock" (only right twice a day) as opposed to a "broken record" (which would also be an apt description of your posts). 

Wow.

3 hours ago, AUFriction said:

To be fair,

Still.. funny post.

I'm just one that believes the backup should be able to execute your playbook for the most part. If he can't do that then he's really not your backup, he's more like your opponent's backup because the game just became simpler for them. Hopefully Joey can but we haven't seen too much yet. What we have seen is impressive. 

Gus does tend to be predictable in his play calling. I'm definitely not one who complains about not running enough. I like throwing the ball and I like the gadget plays but there's a time for those and first and goal at the two is not the time for it. At the same time the first down dive play after a long gainer is not fooling anyone. I really do want Gus to succeed. 

Archived