Things I like about Gus

nixtosanders94

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

That electric bimmer? ...blech!

However, he has the financial ability to afford a Bugatti, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Ford GT, ZR1 Corvette, Maseratti, Alpha-Romeo, McLaren, etc.  Actually, he can afford several of each and then some.

....what are we talking about again?

I'm a Corvette man myself,  but I'd look damn sweet in that Bugatti 😁😎

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, nixtosanders94 said:

You might think its foolish...but I think this post is just what I needed...😁

I see what you did there😁

This is a tongue in cheek post so don't take it as a slam to Gus. I really do like him. With apologies to the movie...

10 Things I Hate About Gus

I hate how it always takes four games
For the offense to start to roll.
I hate the way you substitute
When we have first and goal.
I hate our backup quarterbacks
Are not allowed to pass.
I hate the way you slow us down
Instead of keeping your foot on the gas.
I hate that everyone seems to know 
The plays you're going to run.
I hate the times we've lost a game
I know we should have won.
I hate we've had talent to win it all
But the players have no rings.
I hate the fact you're likeable
In spite of all these things.
I hate the way you give me hope
Each and every Fall. 
But mostly I hate the way I don't hate you
Not even a little bit, not even at all.

Uhhhh I’ll try hard to come up with some things

1. I like how successful he has been at transitioning players to new positions

2. I like his passion on the sideline. Stoic Tubberville was frustrating at times.

3. His relationship with recruits has always been positive. He may be introverted but I’ve never heard a negative thing from players about him.

4. I may be wrong but the dude seems genuinely squeaky clean. Doesn’t seem to recruit illegally, I don’t think he’s riding a motorcycle with a stripper, and he doesn’t curse in front of the players (hard to do).

5. We always have a better kicker than Alabama and even in our down years it amuses me how well ours do and how cursed theirs seem to be.

6. He doesn’t seem to mess with the defense.

7. I believe he loves Auburn.

8. He’s loyal with recruits. A lot of teams back off recruits with medical issues but we’ve always stayed strong.

9. He’s always seemed understanding of fan expectations. A few times he’s been asked about the hot seat and he’s never seemed offended.

10. He understands the need for a daggum football facility. 

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

So much so he is helping to fund it himself.  I do not know of any other coach that acts that selflessly.  

10 hours ago, AUFriction said:

We have a good WR corps for the first time in since like 2006.

We’ve put a lot of players in the NFL under Gus.

Who were the great WRs in 2006? My memory is hazy but it seems like we mainly won because of defense that year.

9 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Lets Go was always my Cars favorite (Benjamin Orr did the lead vocals, we lost him a number of years ago)

29 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

Who were the great WRs in 2006? My memory is hazy but it seems like we mainly won because of defense that year.

Pretty sure we relied on Prechae, Billings, and Dunn.  Our best WR group graduated in 05 when Obo, Aro, and Mix left.  We had a bunch of young studs in 07 that never really amounted to anything - Slaughter and Hawthorne, and I think Zachary was redshirted.

Edit...looked it up...in 06 we still had Courtney Taylor along with Prechae, Rod Smith, Billings, and Dunn.  That was a great group that was criminally underused.

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

1. I like how successful he has been at transitioning players to new positions

2. I like his passion on the sideline. Stoic Tubberville was frustrating at times.

3. His relationship with recruits has always been positive. He may be introverted but I’ve never heard a negative thing from players about him.

4. I may be wrong but the dude seems genuinely squeaky clean. Doesn’t seem to recruit illegally, I don’t think he’s riding a motorcycle with a stripper, and he doesn’t curse in front of the players (hard to do).

5. We always have a better kicker than Alabama and even in our down years it amuses me how well ours do and how cursed theirs seem to be.

6. He doesn’t seem to mess with the defense.

7. I believe he loves Auburn.

8. He’s loyal with recruits. A lot of teams back off recruits with medical issues but we’ve always stayed strong.

9. He’s always seemed understanding of fan expectations. A few times he’s been asked about the hot seat and he’s never seemed offended.

This

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

This post feels like the final round on SNL’s Celebrity Jeopardy...like Sean Connery is going to finish with “Suck It Trebek”.

I promise I’m not setting anything up. If things go way south then I will still be critical but I’m trying man. For the sake of my sanity I’m tryin.

PS...love that skit though...

Regarding our WRs the last 15 years, that 2014 group was damned good. We've possibly had more talent since then but that was the last time our staff took advantage of it. 

From the the 2014 IB:

Sammie Coates Jr. 5 206 41.2 2 68
Duke Williams 7 121 17.3 0 42
Quan Bray 4 74 18.5 1 35
Marcus Davis 4 21 5.3 0 7
Cameron Artis-Payne 2 14 7.0 0 10
Corey Grant 3 14 4.7 0 12
Ricardo Louis 2 6 3.0 0 5

1 hour ago, ChltteTiger said:

2005... Sorry. Ben Obomanu. Devin Aromashodu. Courtney Taylor. Taylor played in 2006 as well.

13 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

In the spirit of being positive this week...and as an olive branch to those radical pumpers I’ve offended...I want to show that I can see positives in Gus too. I’m not being a smart ass here. This is a real attempt at being positive. I encourage everyone to follow with positives...

1. Gus is a great ambassador for Auburn- class act, honest, nice guy, seems to genuinely care about his players.

2. Has stabilized the program- no losing seasons, no wheels come off seasons like his predecessors. Six straight bowl appearances. 

3. Less off field issues- seems to run a fairly disciplined program. Few off field problems.

4. Hired Kevin Steele- took some criticism initially but Steele has brought defense back to Auburn.

5. Recruits well- consistently good classes

6. 2013- for all we had been through in 2011 and 2012...he gave the players confidence again and took us all on a hell of a ride.

Overall I like Gus. I believe he does want to win and cares about Auburn. For this week at least and maybe longer, I’m going to refrain from being negative about him. Im going to get up Saturday and enjoy a big game day and just pull hard for Auburn. If we win Saturday then possibilities open up. Who knows right? 

There, thats the best I can do with positivity on Gus. I genuinely and deeply hope we win this week and win big the rest of the year. War Eagle friends...

Are you me, dude? 😁

I couldn't agree more. 

Now...just waiting for this year's 'Tennessee game.' 😝

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

👍1. I like how successful he has been at transitioning players to new positions

👎2. I like his passion on the sideline. Stoic Tubberville was frustrating at times.

I'll take 6 in a row over passionate expressions

👍3. His relationship with recruits has always been positive. He may be introverted but I’ve never heard a negative thing from players about him.

👍4. I may be wrong but the dude seems genuinely squeaky clean. Doesn’t seem to recruit illegally, I don’t think he’s riding a motorcycle with a stripper, and he doesn’t curse in front of the players (hard to do).

👍5. We always have a better kicker than Alabama and even in our down years it amuses me how well ours do and how cursed theirs seem to be.

👍👍6. He doesn’t seem to mess with the defense.

👍7. I believe he loves Auburn.

👍👍8. He’s loyal with recruits. A lot of teams back off recruits with medical issues but we’ve always stayed strong.

👍9. He’s always seemed understanding of fan expectations. A few times he’s been asked about the hot seat and he’s never seemed offended.

He didn't in 2013, which is why we're behind now...

👍All in all, I concur with most of your points...

12 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Uh oh...it's magic...time to SHAKE IT UP. 

Good posts in here. While 2013 was magical, I believe that did more to convince Gus his offense was infallible and buoyed his stubbornness regarding his offensive scheme vs player execution.  The sad part is, if he kept the exact same win/loss records but reorganized them, we'd all be peeing our pants about our prospects for this year. For example:

2013     7-6

2014     8-5

2015     8-5

2016     8-5

2017    10-4

2018    12-2

Looks like the makings of a dynasty or at least a program headed in the right direction.

Archived