If we come out flat against Arkansas

lost

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, lost said:

All bets are off.. They are getting better.  They are at Home..   They are starving for a win.    And Bo is still a freshman

If we come out flat vs Arkansas, we will win a closer game than it should be.  

I think we should win handily. Having said that, I would love to see laser focus and intensity rather than the overconfidence I’m seeing from us message board warriors

16 hours ago, lost said:

How can you say that was not on Gus?  Yes Florida made 4 turnovers that gave us the opportunity to win-- but..  He went from a game plan against Ms state where he used all his backs, and QB'S IN NEW formations and blew out ( a weak) yes, i know- but blew out neverthelessMs state...back to Oregon where he put all the responsibility on Bo and  Boobie and refused to  use his speed and team he had because once again he had no confidence in himself or his players.   It cost us the game and Boobie

That is my opinion and i am still afraid he has not learned .. I hope i am wrong and he proves me an idiot

Auburn was up 21-0 before Nix got a chance to throw more than 2 or 3 passes against Mississippi State. It’s much easier to call and execute plays in that type of setting. 

Against Florida we had an abysmal first half. I believe we finished with ~90yards and only one first down. Hard to use different back when you can’t string any drives together. Boobie should still be fresh at that point. Bo couldn’t connect on short passes and we threw the ball away several times on first few series due to screens being covered. 

Gus attempted to get Bo in a rhythm using short passes and easy reads and we couldn’t execute those plays. What else can Gus do? In the second half, we adjusted and mixed up our blocking schemes and found success. Gus called several plays which gave a great shot at getting points. Gotta execute. Wasn’t a perfect game plan, but we were in position to win in an ugly game and we just couldn’t execute. It’s going to happen.

15 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I expect Auburn to have some offensive hiccups to start similar to Kent State and Tulane and get better as the game goes.  3rd and shorts without Boobee and with a possibly injured Joey are going to be big as far as the overall success of the offense.  Gus will be able to use speed on the outside unlike the Florida game.

What possible injury to Joey are you referring to?  I assume you mean Joey Gatewood.

4 minutes ago, eulessau said:

What possible injury to Joey are you referring to?  I assume you mean Joey Gatewood.

E said he bruised non-throwing shoulder against A&M.

18 hours ago, lost said:

How can you say that was not on Gus?  Yes Florida made 4 turnovers that gave us the opportunity to win-- but..  He went from a game plan against Ms state where he used all his backs, and QB'S IN NEW formations and blew out ( a weak) yes, i know- but blew out neverthelessMs state...back to Oregon where he put all the responsibility on Bo and  Boobie and refused to  use his speed and team he had because once again he had no confidence in himself or his players.   It cost us the game and Boobie.

17 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Same ol story man. I was under the impression that any loss was on the head coach. UF was an awful game plan from the start. Very first play was stupid. I’m not blaming the true freshman qb in the swamp...I’m blaming the guy who was responsible for the game plan for the true freshman qb in the swamp. 

Personally, I don't think it's an either or situation, it's both. Yes, there were some bad play calls and that's on the coach. On the other hand, you can call a perfect wide open slant on the 10 yard line or a deep pass to a wide open WR, both sure TDs, all you want. But if the QB can't hit the pass the play is a bust and it doesn't matter if he is a Freshman or a Senior. The reality is that both the coach and the QB have got to be better. 

10 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

Personally, I don't think it's an either or situation, it's both. Yes, there were some bad play calls and that's on the coach. On the other hand, you can call a perfect wide open slant on the 10 yard line or a deep pass to a wide open WR, both sure TDs, all you want. But if the QB can't hit the pass the play is a bust and it doesn't matter if he is a Freshman or a Senior. The reality is that both the coach and the QB have got to be better. 

I don’t completely disagree but I’m just not gonna get on the true frosh QB for missing on some passes in the Swamp.  And I’ve been waiting on the coach to get better for 5 years now. 

2 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I don’t completely disagree but I’m just not gonna get on the true frosh QB for missing on some passes in the Swamp.  And I’ve been waiting on the coach to get better for 5 years now. 

In some ways, he has improved as a coach, but he will never abandon his "system" approach to offense and will eventually get him fired, either this year(if he loses to Ark or OM) or next

2 hours ago, fredst said:

I think we should win handily. Having said that, I would love to see laser focus and intensity rather than the overconfidence I’m seeing from us message board warriors

Yeah, to each their own, but I don't understand unwarranted overconfidence for any team....let alone our team.  I don't care how bad Arky is supposed to be, I seriously doubt they're worse than UT (playing AT Auburn) should have been... Luckily OUR attitudes and opinions have zero to do with the real world. 😐

1 hour ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I understand where you're coming from and agree to a point. I would just say, I don't think you can lower the standard at the QB position. Those were game winners and have to be completed, whoever is in there. Personally, I would like to see more 5 yard slants to Schwartz and let him use his speed, much like Florida was doing. I think it would be one of the most effective plays we could use. But the QB has to complete that pass, it's a basic pattern.

50 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Yeah, to each their own, but I don't understand unwarranted overconfidence for any team....let alone our team.  I don't care how bad Arky is supposed to be, I seriously doubt they're worse than UT (playing AT Auburn) should have been... Luckily OUR attitudes and opinions have zero to do with the real world. 😐

Probably redundant on my part but I'd be much more concerned about this game if not for the bye. I think UT happened because our players didn't have time to get over the MSU loss. UT was definitely a direct result of/response to MSU IMO. I think the extra time to refocus for this game makes all the difference. 

Also, as bad as the UF loss was, at least they're a pretty good team. The MSU loss was something much darker, IMO. 

And, of course, they remember what happened last year and DB, MD and NC are likely vigilant this week about not letting the team go to Fayetteville with the same mindset.

That all said, you right, dog. 

5 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

9215D47C-9B9D-49B5-BE6B-B2A4D1525B98.png

Egg McBourbon, now that could catch on quickly. 

23 hours ago, Zeek said:

Big part of what happened at Florida. Defense got caught looking flat for a big TD and then we had a 3-and-out. After that the crowd and momentum was theirs. 

Mullen did a masterful jog scouting Steele and that is why UF scored that TD. D wasn’t flat. Steele adjusted but the damage was done. 

3 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

Yes but the coach has to correct those freshman mistakes and they way he should have done it ( and he admits it in hind sight) was to have pulled the QB for a series or two and let him reset his ego. So the first was on the QB the rest was on Gus

4 hours ago, eulessau said:

Joey was supposed to be dealing with some shoulder issues due to a hit

On 10/16/2019 at 3:21 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

South Carolina moved the ball against Bama, Arky almost lost to portland state 

.....and UF is not any good.  Who have they played?

Has Chavis given Coach Malzahn fits before? That's my only hmmmm...

I hope this whole thread is one to laugh at after this game and we  go on to have a respectable end of the season.  I really do.  I want Gus to stay and finish successful

I want him to leave when he desires and AU TO REPLACE HIM  with no drama or in a needless hurry as the hands of time click on.....

5 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Has Chavis given Coach Malzahn fits before? That's my only hmmmm...

yep, i am afraid he will this week,also....seems a lot of folks give him fits lately

6 hours ago, oracle79 said:

E said he bruised non-throwing shoulder against A&M.

Thanks for the response.  Did Joey damage it further in the Miss State game?

If we come out flat, it will be our (& most teams) usual response to playing at 11am.  We’ll still win b/c I don’t believe arky has the horses to run with us the whole game.

Archived