If we come out flat against Arkansas

lost

10 hours ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

Auburn was up 21-0 before Nix got a chance to throw more than 2 or 3 passes against Mississippi State. It’s much easier to call and execute plays in that type of setting. 

Against Florida we had an abysmal first half. I believe we finished with ~90yards and only one first down. Hard to use different back when you can’t string any drives together. Boobie should still be fresh at that point. Bo couldn’t connect on short passes and we threw the ball away several times on first few series due to screens being covered. 

Gus attempted to get Bo in a rhythm using short passes and easy reads and we couldn’t execute those plays. What else can Gus do? In the second half, we adjusted and mixed up our blocking schemes and found success. Gus called several plays which gave a great shot at getting points. Gotta execute. Wasn’t a perfect game plan, but we were in position to win in an ugly game and we just couldn’t execute. It’s going to happen.

Truth. Good post. Also to the person you were responding to (sorry didn't want to go back previous pages to find the post) Boobee getting hurt is not on Gus. Gus didn't cost us Boobee. Gus has actually been much better this season with not running Boobee into the ground. The only fault I have in Gus' gameplan against UF is instead of quick screens to get Bo in rhythm I wish he would use quick slants, hitches, outs. I thought he did a good job of adjusting at the half. I thought he called his shots well, but if players don't execute when the shot is there then your hands are somewhat tied. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, AUGoo said:

.....and UF is not any good.  Who have they played?

They looked good against a top 10 defense in Auburn, played arguably the best team to a tee for 95% of the game. Miami’s defense can get up for big games and they gave them a lot. That was probably the third hardest opener anyone had. 

6 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Yes but the coach has to correct those freshman mistakes and they way he should have done it ( and he admits it in hind sight) was to have pulled the QB for a series or two and let him reset his ego. So the first was on the QB the rest was on Gus

I agree, he should have pulled him so he could collect himself.

14 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Has Chavis given Coach Malzahn fits before? That's my only hmmmm...

I am of the opinion that Gus tends to give himself fits when he faces certain other coaches. 

And it is entirely possible that my current view is influenced by our most recent outing. 

If defense comes out flat we could be having to come from behind again. Hogs have nothing to lose in this one. Arky will go for broke and try to surprise us for sure. If our offense tries to run up the middle on 3rd and short every time we will have three and out problems. That's not coming out flat just plain stubbornness trying to establish the run with second or third team RB and an average OL.

On 10/16/2019 at 12:58 PM, AUght2win said:

Gus never comes out flat against Arkansas. This is his vendetta game. Remember a couple years ago when we beat a RANKED piggy team 56-3? This is personal, and we will stomp them Saturday.

51-10 seems about on par.

Glad to be wrong today.  Still was disturbed at 2nd quarter of play after 2 quick tds 

Archived