LED lights

eagle12

1 hour ago, triangletiger said:

It's a little-known fact, but @augolf1716 was actually the inspiration for Barry Manilow's song Copacabana.

Funny you should mention that our first Garmin GPS we purchased, this was before cell could be used for GPS, my wife named it Lola from the Copacabana song

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

There's a Donna Summer/Hot Stuff meets Gorillaz quality to it.  Nice recommendation! 

Great description! With Waylon Jennings singing. 

24 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

All of this is fair but the cheaper part? I mean cmon lol. Unless Auburn intends on translating that to cheaper food or tickets, which I doubt, I dont really mind how much they have to pay for lights 

Amen!

Not sure why any of us care what any of this costs.  I'm getting to where I can't afford to attend a game anymore anyway.  We're talking a MINIMUM of $400 just to go to ONE game against Sisters of the Poor U.  Who cares what they spend, unless you're a booster and it's your money?

It's like the whole thing about paying past coaches & current buyouts.... If SOMEONE is willing to pay, then it's certainly no skin off my nose.

Besides, why would anybody have any problem with what AU spends on lights, scoreboards, logos, coaches' buyouts, etc when apparently they don't take issue with paying the HC Nick Saban money while getting....face it....Gus Malzahn performance?

Just my 2¢.

1 hour ago, fredst said:

I was thinking you might look like this:

3ED31461-5BEB-4082-A737-E181F95FCF3B.gif

That's my go to move when I want to REALLY impress the ladies!,

11 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Amen!

Not sure why any of us care what any of this costs.  I'm getting to where I can't afford to attend a game anymore anyway.  We're talking a MINIMUM of $400 just to go to ONE game against Sisters of the Poor U.  Who cares what they spend, unless you're a booster and it's your money?

It's like the whole thing about paying past coaches & current buyouts.... If SOMEONE is willing to pay, then it's certainly no skin off my nose.

Besides, why would anybody have any problem with what AU spends on lights, scoreboards, logos, coaches' buyouts, etc when apparently they don't take issue with paying the HC Nick Saban money while getting....face it....Gus Malzahn performance?

Just my 2¢.

Yeah Ive never really cared much about the frivolity with which Auburn football throws around money. The problem is always, "does the product match what is being spent?" Unfortunately...that rarely is the case

Just now, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Yeah Ive never really cared much about the frivolity with which Auburn football throws around money. The problem is always, "does the product match what is being spent?" Unfortunately...that rarely is the case

:cheers:

If Auburn doesn’t spend the money to “keep up with the Jones’s” facilities wise, we aren’t going to be competitive recruiting. That’s just the reality of it. Some of you guys are so adverse to change that you don’t see the big picture. So if we get the LED lights, what’s the worse that can happen? We do something that Alabama and Georgia has done. Big deal. It will improve the experience for the football players and younger fans, and that’s what counts in the end, because the players play and the younger folks make the noise. 

14 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Amen!

Just my 2¢.

I agree.......in the 80's and 90's the gameday experience far surpassed sitting around a 26in RCA..........now with modern technology and age.........traffic is the huge decider as well as tickets and eats before, during and after the game......not to mention 4 hrs one way.

Amen to the pricing. I understand cost and demand blah blah blah but holy cow you can’t watch a decent SEC game anymore. To drive from the Panhandle up to Auburn and back is costly before tickets and (if we stay the night) lodging. 
Plus to get your tickets together you have to pay at once and often my parents, brothers, their spouses, and my niece all want to go. So someone is putting 8 tickets worth of money on one person’s card (yes we pay each other back but still). The wife and I are teachers. It’s unfortunate how few games I can watch now. Even in 2010 when I was in high school it was easier to afford season tickets. 

21 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

If Auburn doesn’t spend the money to “keep up with the Jones’s” facilities wise, we aren’t going to be competitive recruiting. That’s just the reality of it. Some of you guys are so adverse to change that you don’t see the big picture. So if we get the LED lights, what’s the worse that can happen? We do something that Alabama and Georgia has done. Big deal. It will improve the experience for the football players and younger fans, and that’s what counts in the end, because the players play and the younger folks make the noise. 

It truly is a strange feeling to know that I've hit that age where my relevance is in question and people talk about "me" with derision and dismissiveness. 

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

It truly is a strange feeling to know that I've hit that age where my relevance is in question and people talk about "me" with derision and dismissiveness. 

Wait what? I wasn’t being dismissive of you at all.

8 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I hit that age about 10 years ago when my oldest kid hit 13.  Suddenly I go from holding the sky above to a moron.  I feel your pain.  hahahaha

4 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Oh, sorry.  I didn't mean to imply that you, personally,  were dismissive of me, personally. 

I was waxing philosophically of becoming middle aged.  I remember growing up and hearing older generations speak of being left behind and now I'm starting to get it.

Movies aren't aimed at "us", advertising SURE ain't aimed at us, and I'm starting to feel "left behind" in what's considered interesting in football now too...

1 minute ago, LKEEL75 said:

I hit that age about 10 years ago when my oldest kid hit 13.  Suddenly I go from holding the sky above to a moron.  I feel your pain.  hahahaha

Yes, exactly!!!

7 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Oh, sorry.  I didn't mean to imply that you, personally,  were dismissive of me, personally. 

I was waxing philosophically of becoming middle aged.  I remember growing up and hearing older generations speak of being left behind and now I'm starting to get it.

Movies aren't aimed at "us", advertising SURE ain't aimed at us, and I'm starting to feel "left behind" in what's considered interesting in football now too...

Running the ball and hard hitting defense will never go out of style. All generations of Auburn fans can agree to that; though some want more passing I don’t think anyone dismisses our legendary prowess at running the ball. I’ll take an 80 yard touchdown run over pass any day.

31 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Running the ball and hard hitting defense will never go out of style. All generations of Auburn fans can agree to that; though some want more passing I don’t think anyone dismisses our legendary prowess at running the ball. I’ll take an 80 yard touchdown run over pass any day.

It's funny how the game and all the jimmy-joe that goes with it changes and as you age (at least in MY case) so much of the change does affect my enjoyment.  Don't get me wrong, football is football.  Though I do miss the days of offensive huddles, QBs literally under center, O-linemen with hands in the dirt as opposed to always being in pass-block mode, fullbacks in front of tailbacks, etc....

I'm okay with adapting to the game itself.  It's more about all of the modern aesthetics that are beginning to take away from the experience.  Used to be you attended a football game and THAT was the point.  The peripherals were the marching band, cheerleaders, jack in your coke, etc.  Now the peripherals seem to BE THE POINT with disco lights, DJs, 5 million inch TVs, flashy pimp-suit uniforms, hair down to a players butt, oh...btw...they DO manage to squeeze a football game in somehow.  I imagine even the marching bands will fade out soon because that's for us old codgers too so it must be bad.

GOOD LORD!!!! I sound like my DAD!!!!!

Anyway....just me in a "Get Off My Lawn" soapbox moment.  Carry on and don't mind me.

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

57 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

BTW, I actually agree with you.  I'm sorry I just went off on a tangent with my original post.  It was not meant as a jab at you, so I do apologize for that.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Amen to the pricing. I understand cost and demand blah blah blah but holy cow you can’t watch a decent SEC game anymore. To drive from the Panhandle up to Auburn and back is costly before tickets and (if we stay the night) lodging. 
Plus to get your tickets together you have to pay at once and often my parents, brothers, their spouses, and my niece all want to go. So someone is putting 8 tickets worth of money on one person’s card (yes we pay each other back but still). The wife and I are teachers. It’s unfortunate how few games I can watch now. Even in 2010 when I was in high school it was easier to afford season tickets. 

You were in HS in 2010.......I had no idea you were that young.

45 minutes ago, eagle12 said:

How cool it would be to imitate that movie scene !

First thing that came to mind when I saw that video golf posted. And you're right, if they update with LED and a thin video screen around the entire bowl, this needs to happen. The big screen can play the part of the synthesizer and the thin screen around the bowl can play the mother ship. And at the part where the ship blares BOM BOOOMMMMM" a random fan from the visiting team gets launched into the air.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, kevon67 said:

You were in HS in 2010.......I had no idea you were that young.

Class of 2011! Lol my students will assure you I’m rather old in their eyes. 

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Looks like we are getting them! Should be pretty fun to see!

Agreed, I just hate that we’re always behind. We’ll get them a year later when the novelty has worn off and now it’s just the standard.

On 10/22/2019 at 2:08 PM, fredst said:

I was thinking you might look like this:

3ED31461-5BEB-4082-A737-E181F95FCF3B.gif

On 10/22/2019 at 3:20 PM, AUsince72 said:

That's my go to move when I want to REALLY impress the ladies!,

This looks like it would be Daniel and Anders go to move to impress the ladies too. 

Archived