LED lights

eagle12

I really am not against spending money for quality return. You know, like going out to eat at a nice restaurant and actually enjoying what you paid for. 

But I SERIOUSLY wish someone would do the stats on our record since we got that Dumbotron. It's cool, but it has amplified some pretty... ummm...wordless, here...moments. 

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/21/2019 at 9:04 AM, TigerHorn said:

You're not wrong. Having said that, the promised long life of LEDs is not being delivered in spades. About to replace yet another one in my business after 1.5 years. I wonder if they will really net out cheaper?

Our outdoor lighting at work is supplied by leased LED fixtures from Alabama Power. Granted it is about $300 cheaper than we paid for the old ones but I have 7 out right now and they have replaced some of them already. They were installed in the summer of '18. If I am getting hit for about $1400 a month they definitely need to work all the time. 

Knowing Auburn, they won't do just the LED lights.  They will try to do something that is a step above what everyone has done so far.

14 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Knowing Auburn, they won't do just the LED lights.  They will try to do something that is a step above what everyone has done so far.

Exactly. We’ll likely put them all around our dbl wide press box. It’ll look like Christmas all fall. 

1 minute ago, doug3020 said:

Exactly. We’ll likely put them all around our dbl wide press box. It’ll look like Christmas all fall. 

I just realized you hail from OKC.  ThunderUp!  Huge OKC fan here.  Huge.

LED lights look great but if everyone has them do they have the same appeal? Do all teams have the same light show with different colors? Im probably just old but I enjoyed it more when the crowd just got into the game naturally without being blasted with get loud flashing signs, music and light shows.

Folks, you do know that the University has no choice but to go LED. They don't make the old type stadium lights anymore. Everything has gone LED.

We are in the middle of raising money for a new high school football stadium where I live. LED is the only choice we are given. The adder to make these blink, flash and turn colors is only 4K. The cost of the lights is in the 400K range. It's double what the old fixtures would have cost but we are looking at using 750W fixtures compaired to the old style that is 1500W. Half the operating cost. Fixtures are rated to have a life span at 80% light levels for over 100,000 hours.

It's a no brainier for AU to go LED. Will save the AD millions over their lifespan. 

6 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Folks, you do know that the University has no choice but to go LED. They don't make the old type stadium lights anymore. Everything has gone LED.

We are in the middle of raising money for a new high school football stadium where I live. LED is the only choice we are given. The adder to make these blink, flash and turn colors is only 4K. The cost of the lights is in the 400K range. It's double what the old fixtures would have cost but we are looking at using 750W fixtures compaired to the old style that is 1500W. Half the operating cost. Fixtures are rated to have a life span at 80% light levels for over 100,000 hours.

It's a no brainier for AU to go LED. Will save the AD millions over their lifespan. 

It's the same reason why I converted my whole house to LED's.  I can also control them with my phone to simulate me being at home when I am away on business.  A lot less heat output as well and does not take time to warm up to full power.  LED's are also a directional light beam so you can control where the beam shines, unlike incandescent.  That is why LED's on cars are less blinding.

17 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Did you see my post above regarding LED life? I have them in my business, 20 year guaranteed life. I am now replacing the 4th and 5th ones after one and a half years. Yeah the bulb is free under warranty, but they don't screw into a fixture like normal bulbs and the electrician charges $150 per trip to replace them. 

On 10/20/2019 at 11:35 PM, Randman5000 said:

Dear Lord!! Please tell me that's the super bowl or the Olympics. 

Watched this without sound. I keep expecting a spaceship to land and bring back those pilots that disappeared over the Bermuda Triangle.

50 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

We are in the middle of raising money for a new high school football stadium

Daphne High getting a new stadium?

36 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

Did you see my post above regarding LED life? I have them in my business, 20 year guaranteed life. I am now replacing the 4th and 5th ones after one and a half years. Yeah the bulb is free under warranty, but they don't screw into a fixture like normal bulbs and the electrician charges $150 per trip to replace them. 

Switched my business over 5 years ago, have not had to replace a single bulb.  They are on about 20 hours a day for 6 days a week.

34 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

We about to put down some serious cash for this. Not all LED's are the same. You have to buy from reputable people who will service and back their product. 10 year parts and service warranty on the fixtures. I'd say that AU would get the same.

10 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Don't think so. Kenny King is too stupid to know if the lights were blinking or not. So that wouldn't matter.

I’m from Daphne, too! Don’t disagree with your statement. 

11 minutes ago, WarEagle2423 said:

I’m from Daphne, too! Don’t disagree with your statement. 

I lived in Daphne for 2 years and I want back so bad. I love living in Auburn but there is so much more to do down there. 

Sorry for the thread derail.

32 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

We about to put down some serious cash for this. Not all LED's are the same. You have to buy from reputable people who will service and back their product. 10 year parts and service warranty on the fixtures. I'd say that AU would get the same.

AU ought to get some credit from the power company for making a change. . 

Duke energy installed all WiFi controllable thermostats in our church for free, gives us annual credit and free LED bulbs too.  

As for the LED bulbs at home, I've had pretty good results but the longevity issue is not the diodes but the little electronic circuit boards that reduces the 120v incoming current....had a couple failures. 

PS...read the warranty carefully.....over the years the output gradually decays and the 10 years is typically based on a certain number of hours of usage and the bulbs losing up to a third or more of their lumen output. 

https://insights.regencylighting.com/understanding-led-lifespan-how-long-do-led-lamps-and-fixtures-actually-last

35 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Not all LED's are the same. You have to buy from reputable people who will service and back their product.

So true.

47 minutes ago, api1957 said:

I lived in Daphne for 2 years and I want back so bad. I love living in Auburn but there is so much more to do down there. 

Sorry for the thread derail.

I’m in Auburn right now doing a dual-masters program, and I love it. Here, but I can’t wait to move back home! 

On 10/20/2019 at 9:18 PM, AUsince72 said:

In B-D it sucks.

In J-H it's cool.

BINGO!

Folks crapped all over uga/uat's lights ITT, now Auburn announces we're getting them and I promise folks will not get migraines, epileptic people will not have seizures in the stadium and it won't look like a night club in South Beach.

It will be cool in JHS and fans will love it just like the fans of the other programs love their's.

Archived