Gus apologists

ChltteTiger

3 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Not a Gus apologist, but far from a Gus hater either. I would call Gus a good but not great coach. That’s why we have only finished first in the SECW 2 times in Gus’s 6 years (though we came close in one other year). Still, 1/3 of his seasons have ended with us at the top of the SECW despite Saban’s unprecedented success. That’s not an indicator of a bad coach. 

We came within 3 points of beating the team that’s probably winning the NC this year. We did it on the road in a place we haven’t won in for 2 decades, with a true frosh at QB, a terrible OL, and the refs handicapping our defense. I don’t think anyone thought the LSU game was going to be a win going into the season. I actually projected that as our 1 sure loss. So I don’t understand what everyone is so pissed about. We performed better than the handicappers and experts expected, and, had the officiating been fair, we would have taken them out.

If we scheduled a game with the NE patriots and lost by three, there are some folks on this forum that would complain and call for Malzahn’s head. What’s odd is that this is so predictable now days. If a team doesn’t win every game, the fans want the head coach gone and the starting QB replaced. 

As for winning the rest of the year, we will at least get to 8 regular season wins. After watching UGA this year, I think we’ll beat them, especially since we have them at home. With Bama at home, we have a chance. We could end the regular season with as high as 10 wins. That’s not something to be upset over in the hardest division in CFB.

As for next year, we are quality offensive line coaching away from being a championship caliber team. Had we been able to run the ball, our offense wouldnt be dependent on a freshman QB. Grimes needs to go, and we need to find some high profile JUCO offensive linemen. The athletic department needs to give Gus whatever it takes to find a good OL coach.

Im going to get in front of these comments before they happen. I know there are some diehard wacko Gus haters on this forum that unrealistically expect us to win every game in every season. These are the same folks that compare us to Bama rather than comparing us to our own history. I know those people are going to downvote, laugh, or otherwise ridicule this post, and replies from those folks will be riddled with inflated expectations, impatience, and whiny comments that are not grounded in reality. Looking forward to the dumpster fire...

Take Gus away from that game yesterday, the defense still balls out, and any competent offensive coordinator scores 30...like oh I dunno Vandy did on that same LSU defense. 

And I have seen literally no one on here say they expect perfection...just competent offense from a guy who was touted as an offensive genius. 

And people comparing us to what bama is doing is another gus lover myth yall created. Everyone I’ve seen on this board understands how difficult it would be for Auburn to do what bama is doing...now explain losses like UT and MSU last year and what those have to do with bama? And what does our offense looking like a trash heap have to do with bama? And what does Gus’s sheer lack of common sense on personnel decisions have to do with bama? Get outta here with that nonsense. You’re making excuses for mediocrity.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AUFriction just recited all the reasons we should be ok with Gus compiling an SEC record similar to Doug Barfield.

Go ahead facepalm me. Badge of honor.

4 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

AUFriction just recited all the reasons we should be ok with Gus compiling an SEC record similar to Doug Barfield.

Go ahead facepalm me. Badge of honor.

More like AUFiction

tenor.gif

3 hours ago, Sully to Beasley said:

I like Gus Malzahn as a man and respect him. I do not describe myself as a Gus "apologist" but I once believed that he had the ability to move Auburn to the next level and keep them there. I have now realized my belief was only wishful thinking. I see now that our head coach who once was described as an "offensive guru" has let the game pass him by. His HUNH style is dead and he has no answers to the adjustments that modern day defensive coordinators throw at him. This season he has wasted a top 5 defense busting its tail game after game despite his inconsistent offensive schemes. This reminds me of the late 70's and early 80's when defenses figured out how to stop the wishbone offense. Some older head coaches clung to the wishbone and were forced to change or be fired. Even Pat Dye was forced to scrap that offense at AU. Gus apparently is unable or unwilling to change. I hate to say it because I like the man and have defended him in the past, but enough is enough. He simply cannot win the big games consistently and I see no evidence that he ever will be able to. I appreciate his run as an OC in 2010 that helped win us a Natty and i appreciate his efforts in the 2013 season as head coach when we came within an eyelash of winning another. Unfortunately those days are gone and IMHO Gus cannot bring them back. It is time for Auburn to part ways with Coach Malzahn and bring in someone who can elevate Auburn to become a consistently elite SEC program.

Out of likes. Like.

What will be said when we lose to UGA? Everyone saying they look beatable. The only way we win that game is if our defense outscores them. 

1 hour ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

There are a lot of people on the "Sunshine" side that are very outright abusive with language but I think its more endemic of a bigger problem:

The fact that we have sides to begin with. I remember someone saying that "Gus polarizes a fanbase like no other" and I am seeing that. We don't need all these factions and sides. People should be able to have a diversity of opinions without being lumped into a side. We should all just be concerned fans that have a varying spectrum of opinions. The problem with being lumped into sides is that the sides tend to characterize the other sides in the MOST EXTREME of ways, attributing the characteristics of the most fringe aspects of that side to the moderate bases. This causes the moderates to move FURTHER away from the other side and the middle to the more extreme edges. In laymen's terms: Its a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Yes we knew the kid was going to struggle. That's why IT MAKES SENSE TO HAVE HIM REDSHIRT AND DEVELOP BEFORE THRUSTING HIM INTO ACTION IN A TOUGH DEFENSIVE CONFERENCE.  But the inexplicable rationale to continually put the kid in these compromising positions with no support or apparent coaching is NOT SUPPORTING the kid. A coach is supposed to consider the well-being of his players and this is not looking at the well-being of Bo. Us pointing that out is SUPPORTING Bo's long-term development. But YOU fans who consistently waffle between saying that "Gus doesn't know what he is doing" and "We should trust Gus' evaluations" are what annoy me to no end. If you love Auburn...

*Deep Negro Spiritual Exhale*

STOP ACCEPTING GARBAGE FOOTBALL FROM AUBURN'S COACHING STAFF AND JUSTIFYING FOR INADEQUATE PREPARATION. PLAYERS ARE GOING TO STOP WANTING TO COME WHEN THIS PLACE GETS A NAME FOR THIS KIND OF STUFF. AND THEN ENROLLMENT DROPS AND AUBURN SUFFERS.

Couldn't have said it better myself.... Its a "Holier Than Thou" attitude that is so undeserved and literally is a mutation of the "No True Scotsman Fallacy."

I hear you. I think we're all a bit peeved but its MINOR compared to anything that you're experiencing or going through. And I can only imagine the players. 

That is what should sting the most. This was Gus' game to lose and he lost it in spectacular fashion as well as pissing away ANY chance of being in the playoffs *(Which at 6-1) we had a chance of if we beat LSU.... This offensive firepower that we have is going to waste and people don't even see that. Everyone says "Develop Bo for the future." Then put him on the bench and develop him in practice and give your amazing weapons and suffocating defense some chance to go for the BIG one. This was as much of a WIN NOW situation that we could have expected. If this were the NFL, the GM and coach in charge of this personnel decision would be served their walking papers and players would be dialing their agents to get out of it. 

I hope it is, but sadly I'm not seeing ANY justification or rationale that actually fits this. And playing politics doesn't just have to involve the board. It can consist of scheming to keep your job shielded by something other than putting the best football product on the field and winning. If you have some alternative means then let me see it otherwise the "Objective Fact" that Gus is playing politics stands. 

I don't think you get the position that we're in because while you have provided some realistic statements that probably are true, the fact of the matter with this season is: 

AUBURN IS IN A POSITION TALENT-WISE to compete with Bama and we have been the past 3 years. Guess why we haven't been winning..... 

THE DEPLOYMENT OF SAID TALENT

The constant of this coaching staff is POOR COACHING AND PREP. Not talent. We have had the coffers overflowing as far as talent and resource is concerned but most of it either sits on the bench or is mismanaged and made to work in a manner that is counter-intuitive to its best usage. Our offense's best form? The LSU team we played last night. (4-5 Wide, spread out and bunched formations, detached big-men from the LOS, & running outside zone from the gun. 50/50 run-pass distributions, multi-level passing concepts, pass tags on the back-end, putting your best players in multiple positions and formations contrary to their regular usage to take advantage of spacing and matchups.)  Even the NFL which is the most STUBBORN League on earth as far as change is concerned has figured this out and has shucked many of its antiquated practices, so WHAT MAKES THIS COACHING STAFF (Gus primarily) HAVE THE UNMITIGATED GALL TO BELIEVE THAT THEY DON'T NEED TO MAKE LIKEWISE ADJUSTMENTS THAT THE REST OF THIS LEAGUE HAS. 

You say we want to blow everything up? You may be right, but it should have been blown up years ago before the extension was offered because what we have is an abundance of talent that has been built up through constant fan devotion and its being rewarded with horrid management. The only thing that really doesn't need to go is the defensive staff because they've been GREAT especially in the face of our offensive staff's boneheadedness.

I am and this is an objective observation... What do you call it? Do you think that Joey has benefited from not being used when he would have been ideal in lieu of:

- THE ONE LEGGED BOOBEE CAT
- THE EVER-PREDICTABLE OVERTHROWN FADE OUT OF THE SAME FORMATION
- INSIDE ZONE IN A CONDENSED AREA WHERE SAFETIES ARE CROWDING THE L-O-S
- WHATEVER NONSENSICAL BOOBEE CAT-DOUBLE PASS NONSENSE WE SAW LAST NIGHT

What you call bad taste, I call concern for a player who placed his trust in the words of a coaching staff that has not even done a modicum of what the HC has been getting on the podium and telling people he would do. You also seem to not understand what "Saying the right thing even though its not the actual case" is. Its a good tactic for JG even though it may not represent how he truly feels... He is doing the right thing by the team, but the coaches are definitely not doing the right thing by JG. Remember when we were at the GL and Joey was prepping to go in and Gus pulled him back? What did we walk away with? Nothing. (Or maybe 3. I can't remember.) Now in earlier games back when JG had the option to transfer mid-season, that was JG package territory. And when we did see the JG package for the ONE PLAY it was featured in, guess where it was:

THE SAME LOCATION. RED ZONE, 2nd Down after a failed attempt at the GL.

I guess my other topic was deleted... But it had nothing but factual arguments and rational speculation using facts versus just opinion, and regurgitated punditry-class basic narratives. That's telling and pretty disappointing. I called it as I saw it and supported EACH AND EVERY ASSERTION WITH FACT AND FOOTBALL KNOWLEDGE. Guess it rocked the boat too much.... Telling.

You want to see the link of where what I state is true? How about you dismount your HIGH HORSE (In more ways than one) and watch the game like the rest of us common folks. But you'll just continue to swallow media swill and curated interviews because its confirmation bias for your lazy and ill-conceived views of reality. That's fine by me but don't try and take the high road and say "yOur PeRSonAl fEeLiNGs sTiLl cLoUD The fActS" when I'm by far on of the most-analytics based posters left here. (Especially when you're one of the most liable to wear your emotions on your sleeves and make off the cuff statements based on an arbitrary and altered perception of ACTUAL EVENTS. That's intellectual laziness of the highest order.) 

Let me tell you something, articles that you read are not reality. Yes I'm sure players like Gus because from what I know and had seen of him during my brief stint with the team, he is a nice and personable guy. But let me tell you something, players talk and have convos outside of the locker room in safer places where they can really voice their discontent and those are where the REAL feelings of what their believe lie. Not everyone is happy with their usage, not everyone likes what is going down. Are they going to tell the media that for it to be published in an article for you to read and then lazily post as if its the word of law? No. For obvious reasons that I shouldn't need to explain....

Fans like you make me SICK because you are the type to argue "players shouldn't get paid because they are getting full tuition paid for and they chose that life." Yes the players CHOSE to come hear because they were 'sold' this school by recruiting promises by a coach that comes and courts them when they have the leverage to make a choice. Guess what its called when someone makes you a promise that they break. A LIE. Which basically invalidates the choice that you made because you didn't receive what you were promised by the person or party you placed your trust in. 

When you buy a car that a salesman sells you and they tell you all the benefits to choosing the car and how its great and will run a long time and it turns out that its a lemon and they lied to you, I don't think you say "Well, I made the choice to get this car so I guess I can't complain and i'll just drive it." No, you get pissed and try and get your investment back. Guess that signing an NLI is for a player:

AN INVESTMENT. Its an investment that is based on a promise to be used in a certain way or given a certain role should the player fulfill certain criteria. When you fulfill that criteria and aren't rewarded with what was promised then that's THE SAME AS BEING SOLD A LEMON. 

That's why I have NOTHING BUT CONTEMPT for fans like you because most of the time you don't understand ANYTHING that players go through and the extra struggles associated with playing for a school that is supposed to put your best interests at heart and trust coaching staff. That trust isn't always awarded but your type wants to only trust what media and pundit class says about a situation and ignore facts and not realize when KIDS are being taken advantage of by adults who make millions and put their own interests above those of the players they're responsible for. And then when something unfavorable happens to the player, be that a life-altering injury that occurs from exposing a player in circumstances that they should have never been in, wasting eligibility and burning redshirts out of incompetence (like we did last year), or jeopardizing a future of a player needlessly, you just shrug and say "The player made the choice to come and play here. And from all the articles I have read, that player has never said anything bad about the coach or made it known they were unhappy." but let the player come out on twitter or tell the media something about their discontent and you'll come out and call the player "Selfish" or be the first to say "We don't need him, he wasn't a true Auburn man." Funny thing is, that's the truest content you'll read online. Not watered down coach-speak or coach-appeasing player-speak. 

But whatever. I'm over it. Believe what you want, enjoy another middling season while you continue to try and be "A true Auburn fan" and pathologize continual mediocre deployment of extraordinary resources.

I'm about done with this board... Later. If anyone wants to see my posts, check me on twitter because I'm out. 

Addendum:
Forgot to drop my twitter handle and page. 

image.png

Shameless self plug. Its been real guys. If you like what I do, connect with me on this page. I'm prob gonna deact. this acct after.

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

Please leave our Lord & Savior out of this argument.

I promise, He would have nothing to do with Gus' Offense.

i already called him on it earlier earlier and he threw jesus under the bus AGAIN to try and hurt my feelings. this is a great example of how low some folks will stoop. 

2 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Addendum:

image.png

Shameless self plug. Its been real guys. If you like what I do, connect with me on this page. I'm prob gonna deact. this acct after.

Bro don’t leave the site 

Well, I'm going to post even though I usually take a week or 2 off after a loss because I'm just too bitter and angry to even think about it.  I think maybe my perspective might be a little different than most because I look at Texas boards, and lurk on a few others as well. It's always the same. Fans furious at their coach.  Right now Lincoln Riley and Tom Herman would be at the top of the wish list for almost any program looking for a new coach.  But Oklahoma fans are furious about yesterday's s*** the bed performance against Kansas State (How TF did that happen, anyway?).  And Texas fans don't want to fire Tom Herman, they want him to die in a fire.  And you know what infuriates Oklahoma fans the most.  It's the stark reminder, that just like Bob Stoops, Riley found a way to lose a game that is completely inexplicable when they were a huge favorite-(24 points in this case). Bob did that almost every year, and OU fans are sick of it. They thought they had it fixed, but guess what, they don't. 

At the beginning of the year, I said we had a championship caliber team, and it all depended on the quarterback. If he was great, we could go all the way.  If he's just average, we lose 4.   Nothing has changed my opinion.  Unfortunately we are below the lowest end of my expectations on QB play.  I can't even be mad at Bo. He's a great kid; he just should be carrying a clipboard this year, and maybe for a couple more.  Is that on the head coach? Of course. 

So where am I? I'm just mad that we squandered a championship defense on an offense that can't carry it's own weight.  If we traded QB's before the LSU game, we win by 30.  But probably not if Burrow is a true freshman. The situation just sucks. Do I believe we will do better if we fire Mahlzan, and start over?  No, I don't, not while we play in the SEC West.   We are probably in the playoffs and undefeated if we have Oregon's or Clemson's schedule.  But we don't.  And we won't be in the Pac 10 or ACC next year either.  So I think we just have a problem without a solution.  Mahlzan's as good as any coach right now not named Saban or Dabo.  But eventually, he'll get fired, and we can start the cycle again, hopefully without going through a few decades of total irrelevance like Tennessee.  I'm going to go away now, and just be mad and bitter by myself.  I hate those stinkin smelly lucky corn dogs, and I almost hope Bama beats them.

32 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Addendum:

image.png

Don't go, it was much easier for me here when you talk

9 hours ago, Momma Worm said:

Im still here.... Im just TIRED...  LITERALLY️So I have no comments at all. 

Then soak this up. My heart is still elated by your persevering son's touchdown last week, and I can't wait to see the next one. These are the moments of glory in all of the mess, the nuggets of gold with hanging onto. Please get as much rest as you can. Shaun is so blessed to have your presence as he plays his heart out. My husband has shared that he doesn't remember his parents attending his ballgames. I see the looks on my 2nd graders faces when all of the other parents except theirs are there. You are tired, Momma, but you hang in there. You're nailing what is most important. 

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Cleaned up all the back and forth. Please quit.

you got it boss. and i mean that funny and not smartazz......................

2 minutes ago, Farmer Brown said:

Gus will never pull a "Bowden", and resign. I wish he would. If Tater Tot had Gus' players, he would have won with them. LOL

I have wondered what might actually make/woo/entice him to choose to resign. In my world, our superiors can step in with all sorts of required mentoring and mandatory observations of how things should and must be done when results are clearly ineffective. I've seen a few choose the way of the highway when the screws of accountability got tighter. And as you can imagine in the world of public education, we are nowhere near $49 million as part of that accountability. 

6 minutes ago, Farmer Brown said:

Gus will never pull a "Bowden", and resign. I wish he would. If Tater Tot had Gus' players, he would have won with them. LOL

This guy is making miss Ole Tater Tot ... just a little bit.

5 minutes ago, Never2Yield said:

This guy is making miss Ole Tater Tot ... just a little bit.

Tater Tot ran out of players. I have heard all the other stuff also, but he would win with Gus' players.

1 minute ago, Farmer Brown said:

Tater Tot ran out of players. I have heard all the other stuff also, but he would win with Gus' players.

No doubt, he would.

5 hours ago, AURex said:

So now this thread has degenerated into arguing about how to argue about arguing. hahahahaha

I'm not going to apologize for Gus. But I am going to remind that he announced quite loudly to the world that he was returning to running the offense himself because he thought it was a mistake to have an OC actually functioning as an OC, and he could do it better. He was saying that he could do better by doing it himself, and he would be judged on his own performance.

It is not disloyal to judge his performance on his own terms. He invited it on himself.

The question is, will he actually accept responsibility for the offense he has built and coached? And even if he does, what will he do about it at the end of the season?

He will use the freshman QB excuse, and no he won't do anything to remedy the situation. He's had at the very least 5 years now since Marshall graduated. The sunshine pumpers will buy that excuse however, and some will even argue it ad nauseum. 

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Well on the bright side my fantasy football team is doing amazing

but are you winning any cash yet?

1 hour ago, ToraGirl said:

Then soak this up. My heart is still elated by your persevering son's touchdown last week, and I can't wait to see the next one. These are the moments of glory in all of the mess, the nuggets of gold with hanging onto. Please get as much rest as you can. Shaun is so blessed to have your presence as he plays his heart out. My husband has shared that he doesn't remember his parents attending his ballgames. I see the looks on my 2nd graders faces when all of the other parents except theirs are there. You are tired, Momma, but you hang in there. You're nailing what is most important. 

I don’t know why this got facepalmed.  I thought it was very sweet.  Don’t let that reaction deter you

Archived