Joey Gatewood (Update 10/30: Leaves the team)

Zeek

18 minutes ago, Momma Worm said:

Those are not my thoughts lol but at this point I just support him as a mother should.

We'll keep supporting him, too, for what it's worth. No matter where his journey takes him. 

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, cole256 said:

That was my logic at first but there's clearly something going on that you wouldn't play him. 

Again - if we're using incompetence to explain everything else Gus does, then wouldn't that be the most probable explanation here? Why is this situation so different than everything else that Gus does that appears to make no sense whatsoever, that it has to be explained by politics?

3 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Minnesota won 9 games the year before Fleck was hired, and Jerry Kill had Several good years prior to that. Minn. was arguably considered  a middle of the pack B10 team before he got there. 

I mean Fleck May be an amazing coach, but having 1 good year in with a weak schedule doesn’t necessarily convince me of anything.

I look at Scott Frost, who built UCF into a juggernaut that even beat several very good teams, but plop him into Nebraska and so far the results with more talent and more resources have been less than stellar. He may very well still succeed, but Nebraska fans are already starting to grumble about Frost’s results. 

I mean we can agree to disagree but I'd take any of those coaches because reality is that they likely will be the coaches that would consider AU. What big name coach is going to come to AU? We're going to be coming off still having a big buyout with Gus so we're not going to be shelling out Jimbo, Saban or Mullen money. It's always a gamble but i rather take a chance with a Frost, Fleck or Satterfield. Riley and Ryan Day were forced into their HC positions and doing well. Both with zero HC experience so I'd have no problem taking a chance on those other coaches.

Just now, Barnacle said:

Again - if we're using incompetence to explain everything else Gus does, then wouldn't that be the most probable explanation here? Why is this situation so different than everything else that Gus does that appears to make no sense whatsoever, that it has to be explained by politics?

It's just like you said about sand bagging. You wouldn't imagine a coach doing that, I can't imagine a coach in the hot seat not trying to do everything he can to win. A coach with a history of subbing QB 's I might add

5 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I'm definitely not ruling it out. I just have a hard time believing that a coach on the hot seat would sandbag his season based upon politics. 

What you're saying makes sense, but at this point can we assume even a modicum of pragmatism on Gus's part? 

16 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I hope Cord has improved his arm strength. We are in deep dodo if Bo goes down. I really though Joey would stay the course for this season and then transfer. Very sad day indeed. I could not blame Joey for leaving after the season, but him leaving at this juncture of the season hurts team imho.  Gus is really starting to wear on my nerves as the HC. I hope the team will not get too down over this and let it effect their play.

Quite honestly, it is bad for the team, but good for JG imo. Why hang around? If he wasn't allowed in the UF or LSU games, he knows he isnt going to be given a chance. Might as well start looking around. He may not be any better than Bo, we dont know, but it's really immaterial at this point because he was never given the chance. Given Gus' record of QB handling, I would get outta dodge too. As much as I hate coaching changes, especially with the $$ we have hanging out there because of the PTB idiots, this program is about to be run into the ground in short order if something isnt done. Gus is a few fries short of a happy meal imo.

What Joey Gatewood’s midseason departure means for Auburn at quarterback

Updated 12:51 PM;Today 11:30 AM

7-9 minutes

Auburn Football

Upon naming Bo Nix as Auburn’s starting quarterback on Aug. 20, head coach Gus Malzahn repeated multiple times during that evening’s press conference that he felt the Tigers had two quarterbacks they could win games with.

With one month remaining in the regular season, and with two of the toughest games remaining on the schedule, Auburn is left with just one. Redshirt freshman Joey Gatewood, Nix’s backup for the first eight games of the season, left the team Wednesday and will transfer, according to sources.

Malzahn confirmed Gatewood’s departure on Wednesday afternoon during his weekly appearance on the SEC coaches teleconference.

“I really appreciated Joey,” Malzahn said. “When you think about it, when he didn’t win the job earlier, he chose to stick around. Most quarterbacks this day and time wouldn’t do that. He’s just at a point now where he wants to be a starting quarterback and just feels he needs to start looking for schools now so he can find the right spot, and I respect that.

“He’s a fine young man, and I really appreciate everything Joey has done for our program. Everyone in our program will be rooting for him moving forward.”

The news of Gatewood’s departure leaves Auburn in a precarious situation at quarterback entering the final four games of the regular season. Nix’s starting job didn’t appear to be in jeopardy to begin with, as Malzahn said this week there were no considerations of making a change at quarterback following Nix’s recent road struggles against Florida and LSU — but the true freshman’s grip on the role has, by default, been strengthened. He is not only Auburn’s quarterback of the present, but Malzahn firmly believes the former five-star prospect will end up being a great quarterback for the Tigers when all is said and done.

While it was always a real possibility that one of Gatewood or Nix — whoever lost out on the offseason quarterback competition — would not finish their career at Auburn, Gatewood’s departure and the timing of it is troubling for Malzahn and Auburn.

Gatewood is now the seventh quarterback signee under Malzahn to either transfer, leave the team for other reasons or change position. He joins Sean White (dismissed), Jason Smith (moved to receiver, then to defensive back), Woody Barrett (transferred), John Franklin III (switched positions twice and then transferred), Tyler Queen (transferred) and Malik Willis (transferred). Only three quarterback signees under Malzahn have finished their college careers playing quarterback at Auburn: Nick Marshall (2013-14), Jeremy Johnson (2013-2016) and Jarrett Stidham (2017-18), with two of those being junior college transfers and the other, Johnson, finishing his career as a backup after being benched in 2015.

The timing of Gatewood’s departure — four games remaining for 11th-ranked Auburn, including meetings with No. 8 Georgia and No. 2 Alabama — is also less than ideal, as it leaves Auburn with just two scholarship quarterbacks for the remainder of the season: Nix and redshirt freshman Cord Sandberg, who has appeared in just one game this season with limited action and has attempted just one pass in his Auburn career. Sandberg will be thrust into the role of backup quarterback, though his experience at the position has been limited; he was a minor league baseball player for several years before enrolling at Auburn last year, and he has worked primarily with the third-team offense since the spring.

Gatewood’s decision to transfer means Nix’s importance has also been increased. Auburn can ill afford the true freshman to sustain an injury now, and he’ll also have to step up his play these last four games after his recent struggles. Nix completed just 41.9 percent of his passes, with four interceptions and just two touchdowns, in Auburn’s losses to LSU and Florida. His numbers have also been generally poor away from Jordan-Hare Stadium, as he has completed 48.5 percent of his passes for 755 yards, eight touchdowns and six interceptions.

Nix’s numbers have been better at home, where Auburn will play its final four games of the regular season. He has completed 63.5 percent of his passes for 703 yards, four touchdowns and no interceptions. His yards per attempt are also considerably higher at home (9.5) versus on the road (5.8).

Gatewood appeared in seven of Auburn’s eight games this season, though outside of blowouts his role was limited largely to short-yardage and red-zone situations. He completed five of his seven pass attempts for 54 yards and a pair of touchdowns, and he also rushed for 148 yards and three touchdowns on 29 carries. He did not play in Auburn’s loss to Florida, and he was at quarterback for just one play during last weekend’s loss to LSU, when he entered the game two plays after D.J. Williams’ 70-yard run to open the second half and rushed for 2 yards on second-and-goal before Nix checked back in.

While Gatewood’s role fluctuated from game to game, Malzahn repeatedly said the 6-foot-5, 233-pounder — who he previously compared, physically, to Cam Newton — gave Auburn’s offense some flexibility. That flexibility is now gone, and Auburn will have to turn to other options in those situations that previously called for Gatewood.

That includes some Wildcat packages, where redshirt sophomore running back Boobee Whitlow — who has been the primary Wildcat quarterback the last two seasons — will likely see more action once he fully recovers from the arthroscopic knee procedure he underwent three weeks ago. Malzahn said Tuesday that Whitlow still isn’t 100 percent and will be limited this weekend against Ole Miss. Other possible Wildcat options for Auburn in freshman running back D.J. Williams, who played quarterback his senior year of high school, and redshirt freshman running back Harold Joiner.

Gatewood’s departure will also have an impact on Auburn’s quarterback recruiting. The Tigers typically take at least one quarterback per class, but with the limited depth behind Nix now, don’t be shocked to see Malzahn try to add two to the 2020 class.

Auburn currently holds one commitment at the position this cycle in the form of three-star dual-threat quarterback Chayil Garnett, the No. 21 player at his position and No. 570 overall prospect in the nation, according to the 247Sports Composite rankings. The Tigers also have a commitment from four-star 2021 quarterback Aaron McLaughlin, the No. 11 pro-style option in the class. Adding a second quarterback to this class, whether an incoming freshman, through the transfer portal or by way of the grad transfer market, will be essential for Auburn this cycle to fortify depth at the position.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

2 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

That and Gus saying he never thought about changing QBs in the Fla or LSU games. Why do that in public ? This whole thing sucks.

There's a rumor that a booster is forcing Gus's hand with playing Bo and I'm starting to believe it.

9 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I'm definitely not ruling it out. I just have a hard time believing that a coach on the hot seat would sandbag his season based upon politics. 

Agree. I'm seeing a lot of the same statements from fans that Cole mentioned. It's all about how his dad is. I don't know...that's hard for me to believe that as well even with Gus. My thinking has been along the lines of that he's just stubborn and doesn't want to be wrong in starting Bo. He's going to show everyone that he's right about Nix. And he very well could be but i just don't agree with doing it as the expense of Joey and the TEAM. 

46 minutes ago, shabby said:

Here is a crazy thought. What if Bo Nix is the better quarterback? And for a follow up question. Isn't that the most likely reason Nix is starting. Like everyone else, I wanted to see Gatewood come in during the LSU game as Nix was just not going to win it. But I still believe he was the better of the two quarterbacks? Why? because he wouldn't still be the starter if not. It's not Like Gus hasn't made QB changes in mid season before. The biggest question I have is why doesn't Gus let Dilly do his job and develop our QB's. Isn't Dilly supposed to be rather good at that? That's the baffling part.

Then I would question Why the hell do you not have a serviceable back up for a true freshman only hitting 53 percent of his passes? JG has been in your system for a year already . Why isn’t he at the very least serviceable . That’s all we need is a serviceable QB and we would arguably be undefeated .

No wonder he was chasing yet another GT which brings me to my next point. If he can’t develop a suitable QB he needs to get out of his own way and hire an appropriate QB coach, otherwise he needs to be gone 

2 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

There's a rumor that a booster is forcing Gus's hand with playing Bo and I'm starting to believe it.

This really would be the only thing that makes sense, but I dont give Gus a pass even if so. You coach to win. Why do what a booster says when it's losing the game? You lose either way. Dumpster fire.

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

What you're saying makes sense, but at this point can we assume even a modicum of pragmatism on Gus's part? 

No, but that's why I think it's incompetence and not politics. Politics suggests that he knows he isn't playing the best players, or knows he isn't calling the best plays and so does these things for some hidden, ulterior motive, as opposed to doing it because he actually believes he is being pragmatic - he actually believes he's putting his team in the best position to win.

Incompetence suggests that he doesn't understand what's best to do, and therefore doesn't. That seems infinitely more likely than politics, especially for a guy who knows he HAS to win to keep his job.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

No wonder he was chasing yet another GT which brings me to my next point. If he can’t develop a suitable QB he needs to get out of his own way and hire an appropriate QB coach, otherwise he needs to be gone 

And this has been the case since 2016. I argued against it then, but I was wrong. And now it's too late and we know that he's not going to do what you correctly suggest above and it's over. 

Just now, Barnacle said:

No, but that's why I think it's incompetence and not politics. Politics suggests that he knows he isn't playing the best players, or knows he isn't calling the best plays and so does these things for some hidden, ulterior motive, as opposed to doing it because he actually believes he is being pragmatic - he actually believes he's putting his team in the best position to win.

Incompetence suggests that he doesn't understand what's best to do, and therefore doesn't. That seems infinitely more likely than politics, especially for a guy who knows he HAS to win to keep his job.

Point well made and taken. 

14 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Agreed. What's unique about this situation, in my opinion, is that the starting quarterback has been playing poorly, arguably to the extent of costing us some W's. But this was going to happen eventually, I agree. 

No doubt QB play was bad vs UF and LSU, but I think most of us agree that it has more to do with the coach than the player. If my son were a top QB prospect, I would avoid our HC. One thing for sure, we better hope Bo stays healthy for the next 4 weeks. 

In the era of the transfer portal, Gus sure could benefit from emulating Spurrier when it comes to QBs. Switch ‘em often; go with the hot hand. It’ll keep ‘em both around and competing.

This nonsense about benching them hurts their egos is bull. If you can’t handle getting benched bc you’re playing terribly, then you shouldn’t be playing in the first place. If you can’t handle the competition, then maybe you’re not good enough to begin with.

I want guys who aren’t afraid to compete; not guys that cower at the thought of it.

11 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It's just like you said about sand bagging. You wouldn't imagine a coach doing that, I can't imagine a coach in the hot seat not trying to do everything he can to win. A coach with a history of subbing QB 's I might add

Yeah but there are things he has done that, IMO, make way less sense than not playing Gatewood, but no one argues that the Cox Cat was political. 

7 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Hard for me to believe seeing as how Gus is still trying to recover from last season. I would think he would do whatever it takes to win. I do believe Gus is thinking if he can play and make Nix successful then it'll buy him time from getting fired. He's trying to play to the Nix-AU name. Just my opinion. 

9 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

Quite honestly, it is bad for the team, but good for JG imo. Why hang around? If he wasn't allowed in the UF or LSU games, he knows he isnt going to be given a chance. Might as well start looking around. He may not be any better than Bo, we dont know, but it's really immaterial at this point because he was never given the chance. Given Gus' record of QB handling, I would get outta dodge too. As much as I hate coaching changes, especially with the $$ we have hanging out there because of the PTB idiots, this program is about to be run into the ground in short order if something isnt done. Gus is a few fries short of a happy meal imo.

He played FIVE QB's in that unforgettable Clemson game, and he couldn't give JG one series, or even one play at the goal line, when the starter is struggling. I don't blame the young man. Send Gusto a letter. Here's the address: Gus Malzahn, P.O. Box 0, Nutsburg, Al 00000.

Just now, Gowebb11 said:

No doubt QB play was bad vs UF and LSU, but I think most of us agree that it has more to do with the coach than the player. If my son were a top QB prospect, I would avoid our HC. One thing for sure, we better hope Bo stays healthy for the next 4 weeks. 

Yeah I tend to agree, I just think from a personnel perspective, that's why this situation is getting people so upset. 

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Then I would question Why the hell do you not have a serviceable back up for a true freshman only hitting 53 percent of his passes? JG has been in your system for a year already . Why isn’t he at the very least serviceable . That’s all we need is a serviceable QB and we would arguably be undefeated .

I think this is the problem. We apparently suck at developing quarterbacks. 

We are on here argueing about GM not giving JG a chance and how he is playing politics or whatever. GM has shown through the years that he will tell us how great his QB's are and then reality hits. We are basing a lot of our expectiations of JG on Gus' glowing reviews.

People are saying that as bad as the offense looks he shoudl have gotten a shot at LSU even if he isn't as good as Nix. If he wasn't as good as Nix why give him a series? When the offense is struggling that bad they need every chance they can get to score and can't "waste" a drive even though we ended up wasting them anyway. 

7 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

This really would be the only thing that makes sense, but I dont give Gus a pass even if so. You coach to win. Why do what a booster says when it's losing the game? You lose either way. Dumpster fire.

And what booster in their right mind would force a coach to play someone who is underperforming? I have a hunch that rumor is wrong. 

What an absolute f****** waste of half of Joey's eligibility. Absolutely ridiculous.

6 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Well like I said former players has been saying politics and they don't have a history and we'll see how the team responds because that's pretty much the only way you'll lose your team

Archived