PTB Update

Butthead

19 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

He'd have been gone this year had he lost to Bama. Especially then losing to the Golden Gophers. 

He was saved by the crimson bell. 

I actually seriously doubt that. It's the buyout that has Auburn hamstrung at the moment. 8-5 would not have gotten him fired, IMO.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AUwent said:

Before NYE 2018-19 it would've been $36M.

Once it drops below $20M, it's fair game--see Taggart.

It's whatever 75% of the remainder of his contract is at a given time, as I understand it.  At the beginning of the new contract it was $49,000,000 X 0.75 or $36, 750,000, etc.....unreal.

From the PTB facts:

Gus is here to stay. Love it or hate it. PTB are aware of discontent, but just look at it as fans being fans. They have the opinion that we played 6 teams in the top 10, and the bowl loss was because it was Minn’s super bowl and we weren’t as motivated. They think that once Burrow (sp?) is gone that LSU will come back down to earth and that the chance of a great season once out of 5 years is worth the 4 years of mediocrity. They see us as graduating players and playing clean with the NCAA (something they fear is looming for our BB program btw.) Greene is a peace-keeper. 

1 minute ago, passthebiscuits said:

Gus is here to stay. Love it or hate it. PTB are aware of discontent, but just look at it as fans being fans. Greene is a peace-keeper. 

And likely for years to come unless he outright poops the bed - at least from what I've heard. 

13 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

From the PTB facts:

Gus is here to stay. Love it or hate it. PTB are aware of discontent, but just look at it as fans being fans. They have the opinion that we played 6 teams in the top 10, and the bowl loss was because it was Minn’s super bowl and we weren’t as motivated. They think that once Burrow (sp?) is gone that LSU will come back down to earth and that the chance of a great season once out of 5 years is worth the 4 years of mediocrity. They see us as graduating players and playing clean with the NCAA (something they fear is looming for our BB program btw.) Greene is a peace-keeper. 

Welp. I guess I better become a rabid Auburn basketball fan

20 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

From the PTB facts:

We have played some of the worst LSU teams under Gus as there has been in a while and still have a miserable record against them so I don't think that will be a factor. Alabama will remain Alabama and I suspect Georgia will actually get stronger. What will be interesting is what happens with State, A&M and Ole Miss. We've caught them in decline for a healthy portion of Gus' tenure. If they can actually all turn things around, we could slide to the back of the division because I don't see us improving under Gus...just staying stagnant. If that happens, I doubt they'll be able to stand idle. Of course, it may take two or three years to reach that point. 

45 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

From the PTB facts:

Huge fan of your posts, PTB. 😃

Your comment about the basketball program has me a little nervous. Can you share any more about this? 

Interrsting that Greene is a peacekeeper. For whatever reason, I had him pegged as being more assertive than that. 

As always, thank you! 

1 hour ago, passthebiscuits said:

From the PTB facts:

Why are we so afraid of getting better? 

3 hours ago, EagleEye67 said:

Gustav is every other team's favorite coach

I doubt thats the case with Bama.   He finds a way to beat them more than other teams.     LSU, UGA  yeah i would agree with it  but a Bammer saying it is hard to believe. 

37 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

Interrsting that Greene is a peacekeeper. For whatever reason, I had him pegged as being more assertive than that. 

Probably you and others but I'm not sure why.

He came to AU from a modest Div 1 program with a handful of years experience to take the AU job at a big time athletic program where the PTBs have a history of dabbling in the management of the athletic programs..  They doubtless consider it their right and AG surely knew that when he came.  And  I expect nobody has given him the impression that he can just do things the way he wants to without first making sure the PTBs have his back.  .  

JMO but his job is to stay out of the way of the NCAA, run a profitable department, be competitive in the conference,   avoid embarrassing scandals involving coaches and players and to be a good representative of the school and Athletic Department.   He has done these things well....and in the meantime, the PTBs will tell him when they want a coaching change. 

Being assertive, which might mean going against the will of the PTBs or taking serious action without their approval is how to get fired from a very good job.   I like AG and  think he is an excellent representative of the school and seems to be running an effective and efficient Athletic Department.    I hope he does not do something precipitous that causes him to lose his job.  

Thus.....IMO,  he should continue to write those nice "thanks for your opinion" responses to fans and alums..... and wait until he gets the call from yella wood or one of his associates to ask him to figure up how much it will cost to close out the contract with Gus.  Until then.....:dunno:  don't rock the boat. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Welp. I guess I better become a rabid Auburn basketball fan

I'm going to become an All Things Considered fan. 🦋🌱

1 hour ago, AidiAU said:

Huge fan of your posts, PTB. 😃

Your comment about the basketball program has me a little nervous. Can you share any more about this? 

As always, thank you! 

Appreciate that. 

There are some whispers about the NCAA spanking us in BBall...but that’s all I know. Nothing specific or credible yet.

8 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Appreciate that. 

There are some whispers about the NCAA spanking us in BBall...but that’s all I know. Nothing specific or credible yet.

I will be absolutely furious if this is the case. We paid our dues. We paid our time. 2 of our current starters sat out a whole freaking season!!!! And purifoy sat out 9 additional games last year. This is absolutely ridiculous. Meanwhile strong ass offer will wade is somehow caught on tape and nothing has happened to him!? Bs. And didn't we not conduct recruiting of any kind from April of 2017 to September of 2018?? Ridiculous. We did our time and paid our pentance. Leave us alone NCAA!!!! Like damn!!! Lol. Let us continue for several years to have a great basketball program!!!

2 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

From the PTB facts:

Pshew! Another get rid of Gus thread. I was worried that there was something bad going on with you, PTB!

2 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

playing clean with the NCAA

I ain't buying this part for a second. Everybody plays the game & when we're landing top 8-12 classes we're playing the game on some level. I'm not hating on us for playing the game. Just think it's foolish to believe we are clean, at least from a recruiting standpoint.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

I ain't buying this part for a second. Everybody plays the game & when we're landing top 8-12 classes we're playing the game on some level. I'm not hating on us for playing the game. Just think it's foolish to believe we are clean, at least from a recruiting standpoint.

kinda hard to disagree with your logic.....too many people with their hands out during the process.....probably hard to avoid some transgressions. ...just hope they are small.

4 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

From the PTB facts:

As it should be. 

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

Probably you and others but I'm not sure why.

He came to AU from a modest Div 1 program with a handful of years experience to take the AU job at a big time athletic program where the PTBs have a history of dabbling in the management of the athletic programs..  They doubtless consider it their right and AG surely knew that when he came.  And  I expect nobody has given him the impression that he can just do things the way he wants to without first making sure the PTBs have his back.  .  

JMO but his job is to stay out of the way of the NCAA, run a profitable department, be competitive in the conference,   avoid embarrassing scandals involving coaches and players and to be a good representative of the school and Athletic Department.   He has done these things well....and in the meantime, the PTBs will tell him when they want a coaching change. 

Being assertive, which might mean going against the will of the PTBs or taking serious action without their approval is how to get fired from a very good job.   I like AG and  think he is an excellent representative of the school and seems to be running an effective and efficient Athletic Department.    I hope he does not do something precipitous that causes him to lose his job.  

Thus.....IMO,  he should continue to write those nice "thanks for your opinion" responses to fans and alums..... and wait until he gets the call from yella wood or one of his associates to ask him to figure up how much it will cost to close out the contract with Gus.  Until then.....:dunno:  don't rock the boat. 

I got the assertive vibe from hearing him speak at an event and I guess it was a natural assumption (yup, I know what making assumptions does) that he would feel a little more empowered (not to the point where he loses his job, Obviously) to tow the line with the PTB. 

1 million percent agree with your JMO paragraph. 

5 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

From the PTB facts:

So the PTB think going 3-12 vs UGA is standard? Just going to keep doing the same thing.  They want toot a horn about graduating players? As if Clemson, UGA LSU, and Alabama is failing to do that? That speaks volumes about how AU earns so much money yet has facilities and results of a second tier SEC program. Auburn PTB embraces second tier results as long as fans keep spending money. If they really feel that way then leadership at Auburn is as pathetic as Gus Malzahan's January bowl record. 

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I will be absolutely furious if this is the case. We paid our dues. We paid our time. 2 of our current starters sat out a whole freaking season!!!! And purifoy sat out 9 additional games last year. This is absolutely ridiculous. Meanwhile strong ass offer will wade is somehow caught on tape and nothing has happened to him!? Bs. And didn't we not conduct recruiting of any kind from April of 2017 to September of 2018?? Ridiculous. We did our time and paid our pentance. Leave us alone NCAA!!!! Like damn!!! Lol. Let us continue for several years to have a great basketball program!!!

When AU hired Bruce Pearl, we spit in the NCAA's eye. Pearl's winning big here is another spit in their eye. We are not going to get a fair and honest shake from them, they will do anything they can get away with to crucify our basketball program. We all better enjoy what we have now because they are going to try to nail us to the wall and honesty on our part will not matter because they are not honest.

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

When AU hired Bruce Pearl, we spit in the NCAA's eye. Pearl's winning big here is another spit in their eye. We are not going to get a fair and honest shake from them,

Yep..afraid that's true.    Those who encourage AU to go against the NCAA on such things are really just inviting retribution. ...but in this case what was done is done and maybe we just consider the success that BP has enjoyed as a reasonable trade-off for what the NCAA will likely do.       JMO but it's not over....til it's over. ..which is probably not yet.

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Those who encourage AU to go against the NCAA on such things are really just inviting retribution. ...but in this case what was done is done and maybe we just consider the success that BP has enjoyed as a reasonable trade-off for what the NCAA will likely do.

Wait, did the NCAA try to dissuade us from hiring Pearl? Was he not free and clear? 

Why would there be anything reasonable about a "trade-off" for his success? 

Why does Auburn deserve any punishment that another program might not receive?

19 hours ago, im4aual said:

Allen Greene is not going to fire a coach who's never had a losing season, always made a bowl game, and has beaten Nick Saban two out of the last three years.  Sorry if reality is painful,

That's all it takes huh? A couple 7-8 win seasons and always losing bowl games and maybe beating Saban two times.

12 hours ago, AUBourne said:

So the PTB think going 3-12 vs UGA is standard? Just going to keep doing the same thing.  They want toot a horn about graduating players? As if Clemson, UGA LSU, and Alabama is failing to do that? That speaks volumes about how AU earns so much money yet has facilities and results of a second tier SEC program. Auburn PTB embraces second tier results as long as fans keep spending money. If they really feel that way then leadership at Auburn is as pathetic as Gus Malzahan's January bowl record. 

But don't you dare consider cancelling your tickets or donations. You better stay in line like a good little sheep soldier because being critical of anything done in the name of Auburn is heresy. 

Archived