Part of why I still want Bernie

DKW 86

16 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

And we get 4 more years of nothing...Its better than a negative, but we have to move forward and the only one going to do that is Bernie. Biden wont even look at it. 

Bernie is not capable of moving the country "forward".  Like I said, he wouldn't even have the support of the majority of Democrats for his proposals.

Do you really think he would put together a coalition of far left Democrats and Republicans? :rolleyes:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, homersapien said:

Bernie is not capable of moving the country "forward".  Like I said, he wouldn't even have the support of the majority of Democrats for his proposals.

Do you really think he would put together a coalition of far left Democrats and Republicans? :rolleyes:

Bernie would at least try. Flip the question: Do you think that Status Quo Joe is even going to try and change anything? Fix the broken? Take on the DNC Elites? 
Of course not. He isnt ever going to do any of that, not .000001%. He wont try, wont think about, will use no effort to fix the problems we have right now. Healthcare? Pay Inequities? Bring back one job to the US? Do you think he will even ALLOW any of that? Of course not. He might as well be a Republican.

Just now, DKW 86 said:

Bernie would at least try. Flip the question: Do you think that Status Quo Joe is even going to try and change anything? Fix the broken? Take on the DNC Elites? 
Of course not. He isnt ever going to do any of that, not .000001%. He wont try, wont think about, will use no effort to the problems we have right now. Healthcare? Pay Inequities? Bring back one job to the US? Do you think he will even ALLOW any of that? Of course not. He might as well be a Republican.

Like I said, if he reverses Trump policies, we'll be way ahead. 

Man you are really addicted to hyperbole. :no:

Here you go David.  A place for you.

A 'Never Biden' movement vows not to vote for Joe

The ex-veep has work to do to win over Bernie's base.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/13/democrats-confront-a-never-biden-contingent-127438

Get ready. Most of the Bernie Camp is not going to vote for Biden, no matter if Bernie pleads with them or not. Let me help. The Bernie supporters are not satisfied AT ALL with just more of the Status Quo, more Joe Biden. Most of us couldnt care less for Biden. Some, if not most of us, despise Biden and his COMPLETE TOTAL SELLOUT to Wall Street/Stab-the-Middle-Class-in-the-Back Legacy. (Remember, he is the Senator from MBNA.) We honestly dont see very much difference in Status-Quo-Joe and DJT. We are going to demand something really painful from Biden that we want. Whether that is M4A or whatever, we arent showing up until the field shifts our way. With Biden in the WH, the 1%ers will be totally in control 4-8-12 more years. That is completely unacceptable. You want DJT gone? Then make a deal. You give us something to hang our hats on and we come on board. If not then...maybe Biden loses to DJT. Hell Biden is used to losing, it only took 32 years for him to win his first primary.

Demexit is trying to organize a Third Party. TYT and Krystal Ball are advocating for hold out till we get what we want. It may just be one one thing, whatever that may be, but maybe we DO hold out till we get what we want. If you are going to go all screaming mimi about "you want Trump elected!" just shove it. This is politics. Joe wants to win, he is going to have to cut a deal, a big deal, and stick with it. 

31 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Like I said, if he reverses Trump policies, we'll be way ahead. 

Man you are really addicted to hyperbole. :no:

You are sssooo lost in this. Bernie's folks dont want the Status Quo. We want change. Going back to Obama is not enough, not by a long shot. 

13 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Get ready. Most of the Bernie Camp is not going to vote for Biden, no matter if Bernie pleads with them or not. Let me help. The Bernie supporters are not satisfied AT ALL with just more of the Status Quo, more Joe Biden. Most of us couldnt care less for Biden. Some, if not most of us, despise Biden and his COMPLETE TOTAL SELLOUT to Wall Street/Stab-the-Middle-Class-in-the-Back Legacy. (Remember, he is the Senator from MBNA.) We honestly dont see very much difference in Status-Quo-Joe and DJT. We are going to demand something really painful from Biden that we want. Whether that is M4A or whatever, we arent showing up until the field shifts our way. With Biden in the WH, the 1%ers will be totally in control 4-8-12 more years. That is completely unacceptable. You want DJT gone? Then make a deal. You give us something to hang our hats on and we come on board. If not then...maybe Biden loses to DJT. Hell Biden is used to losing, it only took 32 years for him to win his first primary.

Demexit is trying to organize a Third Party. TYT and Krystal Ball are advocating for hold out till we get what we want. It may just one one thing, whatever that may be, but maybe we DO hold out till we get what we want. If you are going to go all screaming mimi about "you want Trump elected!" just shove it. This is politics. Joe wants to win, he is going to have to cut a deal, a big deal, and stick with it. 

Two words:  George McGovern. I am old enough to remember and young enough at the time to vote for him. 

Like it or not, our system is rigged to favor conservatives. Otherwise Trump wouldn't be POTUS in the first place.  There is no way Sanders can be elected. He's too radical for the moderate middle of the electorate.  And if he were, he'd be totally helpless to pass his agenda.

And really, "all screaming mimi"?  :rolleyes:    Anyone with an ounce of political sense understands that a third party run by Bernie - or even if his supporters sit out - is a sure fire way to re-elect Trump.

And FYI, my feeling is, if Trump is reelected, then the country deserves it. 

The only positive about Bernie spoiling the Democratic chances is that another four years of Trump will only increase the magnitude of the political backlash when it finally does happen.  In fact, it would probably be the best way to actually get to the sort of "revolution" that Bernie is promoting.  The damage that Trump has done to the country hasn't fully manifested itself and it will be a lot clearer after 4 more years of his "leadership":-\.   And four more years of Trump might wipe out the Republican Party once and for all.

But a Trump reelection will set the country back at least another decade.  Far better for the country for the pendulum to swing in 2020. 

Finally, there is no reason to think Biden won't reverse the country back to a proper path - your totally absurd, hyperbolic, unfounded characterization of Biden's ideology not withstanding.

38 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

You are sssooo lost in this. Bernie's folks dont want the Status Quo. We want change. Going back to Obama is not enough, not by a long shot. 

I know what Sander's voters want.  It's totally unrealistic.   (Typical youthful naivety.) 

What you fail to understand is that Biden represents change from Trump.  Change that's actually feasible from a political standpoint. 

And have you forgotten that Obama/Biden actually got a healthcare bill passed?  This represented significant change, at least for people like me who couldn't get healthcare insurance at the time.  The next step will be making medicare available to all - as a public option - which is the next obvious step forward and one that Biden supports. 

(For some reason this discussion reminds me of the old joke about the old bull and the young bull looking at a group of heifers in the distance.)

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

I know what Sander's voters want.  It's totally unrealistic.   (Typical youthful naivety.) 

What you fail to understand is that Biden represents change from Trump.  Change that's actually feasible from a political standpoint. 

And have you forgotten that Obama/Biden actually got a healthcare bill passed?  This represented significant change, at least for people like me who couldn't get healthcare insurance at the time.  The next step will be making medicare available to all - as a public option - which is the next obvious step forward and one that Biden supports. 

Joe Biden has talked openly about vetoing M4A. He has setup a set of hoops it will never get thru and he knows it. It is just more words, more useless, meaningless words. As usual, you arent listening. This isnt me homey, this is millions of Bernie Supporters nationwide. You are just flapping your gums on useless talking points. Biden is owned by WS and he isnt going to do anything that would hurt WS.

15 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Joe Biden has talked openly about vetoing M4A. He has setup a set of hoops it will never get thru and he knows it. It is just more words, more useless, meaningless words. As usual, you arent listening. This isnt me homey, this is millions of Bernie Supporters nationwide. You are just flapping your gums on useless talking points. Biden is owned by WS and he isnt going to do anything that would hurt WS.

Then who is writing your over-the-top hyperbolic posts for you? :-\

And "Medicare for all" is not the same as making everyone eligible for medicare if they want it, aka as a "public option".  (Lots of people don't want medicare, they are happy with their private insurance.)  Regardless, "M4A" won't pass.  Creating a public option probably would. I gave you credit for knowing the difference. Considering out far out your posts have become, I should have known better.   

(But it's actually a good argument for Biden over Sanders, so thanks for bringing it up.)

14 hours ago, homersapien said:

Then who is writing your over-the-top hyperbolic posts for you? :-\

And "Medicare for all" is not the same as making everyone eligible for medicare if they want it, aka as a "public option".  (Lots of people don't want medicare, they are happy with their private insurance.)  Regardless, "M4A" won't pass.  Creating a public option probably would. I gave you credit for knowing the difference. Considering out far out your posts have become, I should have known better.   

(But it's actually a good argument for Biden over Sanders, so thanks for bringing it up.)

Dude. Biden doesnt want a public option unless it is fully paid for in Bidens opinion. IOW, he is not going to fight for it. He said in an interview, unless someone else showed him how it was fully paid for he would then veto it.

EDIT: The problem is Biden over Trump. Status-Quo-Joe just aint going to get the support he needs. I guess he doesnt want to win? Pity...

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/13/democrats-confront-a-never-biden-contingent-127438?fb_comment_id=2712310112149940_2713117382069213&comment_id=2713117382069213&fbclid=IwAR1aeLeCQwf90uzJkz_LyHF3pGySRm1kMeu5VPHl5upQWrTzi4GQ9PCXGks

A 'Never Biden' movement vows not to vote for Joe

The ex-veep has work to do to win over Bernie's base.

On Tuesday night, Joe Biden's campaign was celebrating his latest primary night triumph.

By Wednesday morning, #NeverBiden, #WriteinBernie and #DemExit2020 hashtags began trending on Twitter

There's no question it’s been a banner two weeks for Biden. But lurking in the background of his sudden ascension to all-but-presumptive nominee is evidence that at least some Bernie Sanders supporters might not migrate to him in November, weakening him in the general election

The significance of the problem became apparent in the same string of primaries that put Biden on the cusp of the nomination.

In Michigan — a state critical to Democrats’ efforts to reclaim their general election footing in the Rust Belt — just 2 of 5 Sanders backers said they would vote Democratic in November, regardless of who became the nominee, according to exit polls. Four in five said they'd be dissatisfied with Biden as the Democratic standard-bearer.

Though it's unclear how widespread or adamant the #NeverBiden contingent is — will they really stay home when the alternative is another four years of President Donald Trump? — the misgivings at least put the Biden campaign on notice that it has significant work to do to bring along Sanders' base.

There is certainly anecdotal evidence that for many progressives, Biden represents everything they dislike about mainstream Democratic politics. On “The Young Turks,” which draws millions of viewers, Krystal Ball, the former MSNBC host, said she couldn’t vote for Trump.

“But you can leave it blank,” she said, referring to the November ballot.

Ball said she is an "undecided voter" because "if they always can say, 'Look, you've got to vote for us no matter what, you've got no other choice,' then they're always going to treat us like this."

Paul Maslin, a top Democratic pollster who worked on the presidential campaigns of Jimmy Carter and Howard Dean, said that in their overtures to Sanders’ supporters, Democrats have “time, Trump and hopefully Bernie himself on our side.”

However, he said, “It’s a huge challenge.”

The November election is almost eight months away, and unlike in 2016, Sanders’ supporters don't have the hard feelings of superdelegates — the party bigwigs who clinched the nomination for Hillary Clinton — to overcome. This year, Sanders’ momentum was blunted not by those insiders but by black voters in the South and, following his victory in South Carolina, by the broader electorate.

Polls show Biden is also viewed more favorably now than Hillary Clinton was in 2016.

“At the end of the day, it’s Biden or Trump,” said Boyd Brown, a former South Carolina lawmaker and former Democratic National Committee member. “They’ll turn out.”

Still, some Sanders supporters see the consolidation of moderate presidential candidates and other elected officials around Biden as the establishment asserting its power over the grassroots. Trump has happily stoked the divide, declaring that the Democratic primary is “rigged” against Sanders, just as he did four years ago.

“The rationale for us is that our votes need to be earned and that we’ve been taken for granted, and the party never moves to us,” said Alyson Metzger, a 54-year-old writer and progressive activist in New York City who supports Sanders. “If they install Joe Biden, I will not vote for Biden. … This is not democratic what’s happening in the Democratic primary.”

For Metzger, not voting for Biden is a matter of conscience. For others, it is also strategy. On “Never Biden” Facebook pages and in Twitter threads, some activists argue that if Trump is reelected, Democrats will fare better in the next midterms and that the party will be more likely to nominate a progressive in 2024. If Biden is elected, they see eight years of centrist governance.

“I can’t vote for Joe Biden,” said Bryan Quinby, a left-wing podcaster in Ohio, saying that “it feels like the party doesn’t want us — the people who were pushing for Bernie Sanders and were enthusiastic about it.”

Noting that his vote was “never guaranteed for the Democrats,” he said that in November, “I think it just means I don’t vote for president.”

Of particular concern for Biden are young voters, including Latinos — the segments of the electorate that Sanders carried by a large margin. Evan Weber, national political director of the Sunrise Movement, a group of young climate change activists, said it is a “real possibility” that young liberals will stay home in November.

While stressing that he would vote for any Democratic nominee, Weber argued, “There’s lots of narratives about why Hillary Clinton lost the election, but one undeniable one is that she did not mobilize the young people who turned out for Obama in 2012 and especially 2008. We hear a lot from pundits about Joe Biden being Obama’s vice president and him being able to recreate the Obama coalition, but one of the core and critical components of the coalition was young people.

But Sanders has failed to turn young people out at rates he’d hoped, and among those over 45, Biden won two-thirds and Sanders 1 in 4.

Sanders, speaking at a news conference on Wednesday, reiterated that Trump “must be defeated” and that he “will do everything in my power to make that happen,” even as he vowed to press ahead in the nominating contest.

But while acknowledging Biden’s expanding lead in the primary, he warned, “You cannot simply be satisfied by winning the votes of people who are older.”

John Della Volpe, director of polling at the Harvard Kennedy School Institute of Politics, said Biden needs to make building a relationship with young voters “a central focus” of his campaign to beat Trump.

In the 2016 primary, Sanders dominated the youth vote against Clinton, winning more than 80 percent of voters under 30 in some states. When the general election came, some leading left-wing voices backed the Green Party’s Jill Stein.

This cycle, Sanders has said repeatedly on the campaign trail that he would support the nominee, regardless of who it is.

The consequence of even a portion of Sanders’ support evaporating instead of migrating to Biden could be significant in a close election against Trump. And the urgency for Biden to win over a constituency that Sanders has carried reliably has become plain in recent days.

Biden on Tuesday night thanked Sanders and his supporters directly “for their tireless passion,” saying, “We share a common goal. And together, we’ll defeat Donald Trump.”

The next day, his communications director, Kate Bedingfield, was on Fox News arguing that “there is a lot more that unites us than divides us."

"There is a whole lot about our message," she said, "that appeals to Sanders voters."

If Biden and Company think "Defeat Trump" will energize Bernie Voters, they better think again. We/they need something to hang their hat on besides broken promises. If you think "Biden is Better Than Trump" I hope you get ready for a possibly very sad November...

18 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Dude. Biden doesnt want a public option unless it is fully paid for in Bidens opinion. IOW, he is not going to fight for it. He said in an interview, unless someone else showed him how it was fully paid for he would then veto it.

EDIT: The problem is Biden over Trump. Status-Quo-Joe just aint going to get the support he needs. I guess he doesnt want to win? Pity...

If Biden and Company think "Defeat Trump" will energize Bernie Voters, they better think again. We/they need something to hang their hat on besides broken promises. If you think "Biden is Better Than Trump" I hope you get ready for a possibly very sad November...

You are cray cray. :ucrazy:

Yes, I think Biden is infinitely better than Trump.  But if you really disagree, then vote for Trump.  And stop lying about not being a MAGA. 

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

You are cray cray. :ucrazy:

Yes, I think Biden is infinitely better than Trump.  But if you really disagree, then vote for Trump.  And stop lying about not being a MAGA. 

I am talking about Millions of Bernie Supporters, not just myself. There are articles, videos, commentaries by dozens of media people all talking about this. And yes, Millions of Bernie supporters dont think brainlessly being taken advantage of is a good thing. If beating Trump is that important, make a deal. It's how politics have been done for millenia. I dont see what is in the slightest bit crazy about that. Biden will be better than Trump in everyday governance, no objections there. But that's not enough anymore. Some of us want answers and we want them now. If you cant see that as reasonable, well, that's on you. 

14 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

I am talking about Millions of Bernie Supporters, not just myself. There are articles, videos, commentaries by dozens of media people all talking about this. And yes, Millions of Bernie supporters dont think brainlessly being taken advantage of is a good thing. If beating Trump is that important, make a deal. It's how politics have been done for millenia. I dont see what is in the slightest bit crazy about that. Biden will be better than Trump in everyday governance, no objections there. But that's not enough anymore. Some of us want answers and we want them now. If you cant see that as reasonable, well, that's on you. 

Exactly how are millions of Bernie supporters "being taken advantage of"?

"Make a deal" for what exactly?

Exactly how are millions of Bernie supporters "being taken advantage of"?

This is so very simple. The DNC wants their votes, the DNC must earn their votes. Make legislation that they want passed and Active part of the Campaign Agenda. 

"Make a deal" for what exactly?

Any number of things. Homey, I know this is going to surprise you to your core, but those of us that actually read, follow and keep up with American politics actually want to see America and Americans improve. You see Orange Man Bad is point. but it has absolutely nothing to do with an election that concerns policies etc. 

You seem to be completely hung up on "Defeat Trump" as a THE GOAL of the 2020 Election. It is not. For the grownups out here we need more than OMB to get up and vote and send money, volunteer time, etc. If you want us to participate, If you need our votes to win, then...Make a deal. M4A, Student loan reduction, GND, etc, etc, etc. This is how politics works. You want to unite differing groups. You make deals. It has been going on for 1000s of years. You want the Bernie Supporters votes to Beat Trump. Make a deal, The DNC is no longer going to just take the Bernie votes and take them for granted. That is no longer going to happen.

Image result for spoon feeding meme

Everyone remember the PUMAs (Party Unity My Ass) back in 2008? Clinton's folks refused to vote for Obama in 2008. That was 100% Fine back then.

Guess what, the Left is learning to not let themselves, ourselves, to be ignored, abused, etc. 

Why Joe Biden is the antidote to this virus

Joe Biden isn’t inspiring. He fluttered some hearts when he first ran in 1987, but he is far less inspirational now, at 77, than he was in his prime. That’s part of the reason, despite his far-above-the-rest résumé, that Biden’s candidacy stumbled before it succeeded. Democrats were looking for something new and improved before they recognized it was time to settle for Biden.

This is all fine — better than fine, actually. If 1964 was a time for choosing, as Ronald Reagan put it when he went on TV to argue for Barry Goldwater, 2020 is a time for settling, in the multiple senses of that word.

It is a time for settling on a candidate whom a broad majority of Democrats, and Americans, can agree. It’s a time for settling the country down, after three-plus years of ugliness and the divisiveness that both preceded and created the Trump phenomenon. It is a time for settling for Biden.

Biden is candidate as comfort food, calming and familiar. After flirtations with the new (Pete Buttigieg), the provocative (Bernie Sanders) and the planner (Elizabeth Warren), Biden is, it turns out, the one we’ve been waiting for. He is not the candidate, and would not be the president, of hope and change; he is the avatar of normalcy.

This was, even before the coronavirus, Biden’s fundamental argument: that his would be a restoration presidency — of American values, of America’s place in the world. And, perhaps even more, of a president who does not whip through three White House chiefs of staff and three national security advisers (Trump is on his fourth, in both cases); who does not tweet and attack incessantly; who can be counted on, if not for the “bold, persistent experimentation” of an FDR, then at least for capable governance.

Biden’s campaign this summer and fall will not be a battle for adopting Medicare-for-all. It will be, as he said in announcing his candidacy, a “battle for the soul of this nation,” a rejection of an administration he described as “an aberrant moment in time.”

And even though Biden’s campaign website brags about his “Bold Ideas,” the verbs belie the adjective: “revoke,” “reverse,” “renew,” “restore,” “reassert,” “rescind,” “revitalize.” That means undoing the damage done by Trump, overturning specific policies and rebuilding the domestic expertise and international alliances trashed by four years under the 45th president.

Jonathan Chait argues in New York magazine that, as much as Biden’s campaign is founded on “the return to normalcy,” his domestic agenda, “while nowhere near as radical as the Bernie Sanders platform, is almost certainly to the left of anything even a Democratic-run Congress would pass.”

Biden proposes a tax increase on the wealthy that would amount to $4 trillion over a decade. He advocates trillions more in additional spending — on clean energy, education and housing. He has endorsed a $15-per-hour minimum wage.

But that seems as much a reflection of how the Democratic voters have moved and how the political debate has evolved as it is about who Biden is. Warren ran under the banner of “bold, structural change.” Biden is more about the art of the possible.

Under the current circumstances, this is a feature, not a bug. Biden can coalesce the votes of African Americans and women, particularly suburban women, while luring back the white, non-college-educated voters who turned out for Trump in key states four years ago.

Second, Biden at the top of the ticket can help Democrats retain control of the House and — as important as retaking the White House — winning a majority in the Senate. So much of what any president can do is determined not by the stated agenda but by the capacity to transmit those policies into action. Just ask Barack Obama.

Third, and even with control of both houses of Congress, there are limits to the transformational change that any president can accomplish. Yes, the country faces large and pressing problems (combating climate change, reducing income inequality), but simply cleaning up the Trumpian mess and restoring order are enough to occupy the energies of any Democratic president for at least a single term.

If that wasn’t clear before the pandemic, it is now. Trump’s response to the coronavirus — a familiar but dangerous combination of ineptitude, denialism and self-interest — has driven that point home.

“This election isn’t about ideology; it’s about competence,” Michael Dukakis proclaimed, optimistically and inaccurately, in accepting the Democratic nomination in 1988, before losing to George H.W. Bush. The 2020 election is about both competence and ideology. Which is what makes Biden, with all his flaws, the right candidate for a scary moment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/13/why-joe-biden-is-antidote-this-virus/

I have never read more pure excrement in my life. Biden is in no way or measure a liberal. 

5 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

I have never read more pure excrement in my life. Biden is in no way or measure a liberal. 

BS.  Compared to Trump, the MAGAs and the GOP he certainly is.

Which was, of course, the point.

6 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Still missing the point. 

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/03/15/biden-sanders-debate-2020-128731

".........So what’s the lesson here for Biden? It’s that he needs to walk a fine line between respecting Sanders and his base, and accommodating too many of their ideas, which Biden has explicitly opposed throughout the campaign.

When they were offered a clear, binary choice between Sanders and a less militantly left candidate, Democratic voters went for the relative centrist by significant margins. Seemingly out of nowhere, a broad coalition emerged—led by landslide majorities of African-Americans—that that rejected the idea that a “political revolution” was the key to winning the White House. They support comprehensive immigration reform and protection for “the Dreamers”—but they do not necessarily support free health care and college tuition for the undocumented. They favor restoring voting rights for felons who have served their time; they do not necessarily support voting rights for felons who are still in prison. They favor expanded health care, but they do not favor a plan that would effectively abolish all private health insurance.......

7 hours ago, homersapien said:

Compared to DJT? Okay. Again is that a real standard? Is just better good enough?  Are you satisfied if the football team is just okay? I could post all the “He’s Good” ads. The point is we need better. The middle class needs better. 

2 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Compared to DJT? Okay. Again is that a real standard? Is just better good enough?  Are you satisfied if the football team is just okay? I could post all the “He’s Good” ads. The point is we need better. The middle class needs better. 

At this point, yes, just better is good enough.  Sometimes we just need to right the ship before going forward.

Your football analogy brings up a perfect example.  Coming off of the 1998 disaster, we went 5-6 with a new coach.  Nothing stellar.  But it was a course correction and put us on a stronger path and showed brighter days were ahead.

Archived