Part of why I still want Bernie

DKW 86

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

At this point, yes, just better is good enough.  Sometimes we just need to right the ship before going forward.

Your football analogy brings up a perfect example.  Coming off of the 1998 disaster, we went 5-6 with a new coach.  Nothing stellar.  But it was a course correction and put us on a stronger path and showed brighter days were ahead.

We'd have bowled that year had Leard not gotten hurt and forced poor Jeff Klein into the starting role, even being near full air raid with the awful stable of RBs Bowden left behind. Loved the UGA game that year when Leard returned and Ronney Daniels went wild. 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

At this point, yes, just better is good enough.  Sometimes we just need to right the ship before going forward.

Your football analogy brings up a perfect example.  Coming off of the 1998 disaster, we went 5-6 with a new coach.  Nothing stellar.  But it was a course correction and put us on a stronger path and showed brighter days were ahead.

But what if 5-6 is all the new coach can deliver?

17 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

But what if 5-6 is all the new coach can deliver?

Then you replace him after 4 years.  But 5-6 is still better than 2-10.

Another sports analogy.  You're essentially arguing for a walk-off homer instead of a base hit when the base hit is all you need to win.

None, and I mean none, of Bernie's ideas can come to fruition without a Democrat in the White House and a Democratically controlled Congress.  Not even half measures could be considered without that.  Biden could move towards incremental progress towards many of Bernie's ideas all while having a better chance of getting that base hit with the game on the line (election day). 

Somehow we've forgotten that getting 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

8 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Somehow we've forgotten that getting 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

Nailed it. 

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Another sports analogy.  You're essentially arguing for a walk-off homer instead of a base hit when the base hit is all you need to win.

None, and I mean none, of Bernie's ideas can come to fruition without a Democrat in the White House and a Democratically controlled Congress.  Not even half measures could be considered without that.  Biden could move towards incremental progress towards many of Bernie's ideas all while having a better chance of getting that base hit with the game on the line (election day). 

No. I want us to just start hitting the ball. The next guy has been in the league 40 years and is $.10 better than the last batter. 
We need hits. Just hit the ball over time and we will eventually win. Right now, we have been going 0-

40 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

No. I want us to just start hitting the ball. The next guy has been in the league 40 years and is $.10 better than the last batter. 
We need hits. Just hit the ball over time and we will eventually win. Right now, we have been going 0-

Jeez did you ever eff up the analogy. 

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

Where has your guy been in those 40 years? What has he accomplished and who can he get to compromise and follow him?

45 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Jeez did you ever eff up the analogy. 

I wasn't going to say it.  But yeah, that analogy got lost.

4 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I was answering your analogy...

19 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

I was answering your analogy...

I know you were, but your use of it doesn't work in the situation.  My analogy is of a batter at the plate in a game winning situation with a runner in scoring position (i.e. this election).  Your "wanting more" approach is akin to wanting to smack a walk off homer when a single drives in the winning run.  It's much harder to hit that homer.  And if you're giving me the option of Ty Cobb vs Mark McGwire in that scenario, well then give me Cobb every day and twice on Sunday.  I want the guy who's steady and gives me the best shot to win.

Those on the left often forget that the object is to first win.  That's what Republicans do so well at understanding.  You can't implement anything if you don't have the levers of power.

11 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

You can't implement anything if you don't have the levers of power.

You mean to tell me being loud and annoying on Twitter and Reddit isn't power? Argh! What have I been doing with my life?

12 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I know you were, but your use of it doesn't work in the situation.  My analogy is of a batter at the plate in a game winning situation with a runner in scoring position (i.e. this election).  Your "wanting more" approach is akin to wanting to smack a walk off homer when a single drives in the winning run.  It's much harder to hit that homer.  And if you're giving me the option of Ty Cobb vs Mark McGwire in that scenario, well then give me Cobb every day and twice on Sunday.  I want the guy who's steady and gives me the best shot to win.

Those on the left often forget that the object is to first win.  That's what Republicans do so well at understanding.  You can't implement anything if you don't have the levers of power.

"Bases are loaded and Casey's at bat" .........

40 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

"Bases are loaded and Casey's at bat" .........

It couldn’t get much higher. 

On 3/15/2020 at 5:42 PM, DKW 86 said:

Compared to DJT? Okay. Again is that a real standard? Is just better good enough?  Are you satisfied if the football team is just okay? I could post all the “He’s Good” ads. The point is we need better. The middle class needs better. 

It certainly is when the alternative is probably losing to Trump.

You are simply assuming Sanders would defeat Trump.  There is no basis for that assumption. He cannot even defeat Biden. 

Biden will likely beat Biden. When Biden'88 & Biden'94 and Biden'Anita Hill show up...

59 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Biden will likely beat Biden. When Biden'88 & Biden'94 and Biden'Anita Hill show up...

The election is being decided right now.  Trump's re-election chances very much hinge on how coronavirus is handled and if the economy bounces back or not by November.

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

The election is being decided right now.  Trump's re-election chances very much hinge on how coronavirus is handled and if the economy bounces back or not by November.

And three weeks ago Bernie was the Presumptive Nominee...Things change, take it from me and HRC...

11 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

And three weeks ago Bernie was the Presumptive Nominee...Things change, take it from me and HRC...

Before the voting actually started?

55 minutes ago, homersapien said:

It's almost as if pouring all of the focus into two early states that are hardly representative of the electorate at large makes little sense. 

12 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

And trump was a presumptive 2 term president. 

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

We know you live in your FACT FREE WORLD OF GUANO. We see it almost every single day you post. 
For Three Long Years You have screamed about RUSSIANS!!! RUSSIANS!!! RUSSIANS!!! Collusion!!! Collusion!!! Collusion!!!
Impeachment!!! Impeachment!!! Impeachment!!! You have been all but totally wrong about all three. I have been correct about all three. Fact is, if biden wasnt in the lead for the Nomination everyone would be laughing their asses off at him. 3 Weeks ago, everyone in the MSM was writing Biden's Eulogy. 

1) Before Biden won his FIRST EVER PRIMARY IN 32 YEARS OF EFFORTS,
2) Bernie Sanders was the Presumptive Nominee.
3) Bernie Sanders had won dozens of primaries
4) and has MILLIONS of voters supporting him
5) something that the Human Gaffe Machine had not accomplished in 32 years of trying spending $10Ms of dollars trying to do.
6) To date Joe Biden has managed to have a TOTAL of ONE  Debate in which he didnt look like a Robo-Corpse. 
7) Biden thinks he is running for the SENATE. 
8 ) Biden claims three degrees he did no work on.
9) Biden openly brags on being a Mensa Scholar. He is not. 78th of 86th in Law School.
10) Pervy Uncle Joe.
11) The SENATOR FROM MBNA...
12) The Bankruptcy Bill
13) The 1994 Crime Bill
14) Anita Hill
15) Plagiarised TWO PAPERS IN COLLEGE. He is in fact an Academic Disgrace. 
16) Plagiarised Speeches of several pols, JFK and Kinnock, just to start.
17) Has promised to veto M4A and even Public Option.
18) Poor People arent White and White People arent Poor.

and on and on and on....

Biden on...
Folks, I can tell you I've known eight presidents, three of them intimately. :lmao:
Other than being crazy enough to press a button, there is nothing that Putin can do militarily to fundamentally alter American interests.
'It is the lucky person who gets up in the morning, puts both feet on the floor, knows what they are about to do, and thinks it still matters.'
I can die a happy man never having been president of the United States of America. But it doesn't mean I won't run..
If I don't run for president, we'll all be OK.
We don't want two-tier people in America. Those who are legal but not citizens, and citizens.
Two million felons have tried to buy a gun and, because of the background check, have been denied.
Quite frankly, Russian aggression in Ukraine and its illegal occupation of Crimea remind us that we still have a good deal more work to do to guarantee the strategic vision of a Europe whole, free and at peace. (It happened on his watch during the Obama Administration, Remember the Russian Reset?) 
I don't say very much I don't really think through. I know that sounds inconsistent with Joe Biden.

Jan. 31, 2007 Biden on Obama:

"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that's a storybook, man."

1 minute ago, DKW 86 said:

We know you live in your FACT FREE WORLD OF GUANO. We see it almost every single day you post. L

1) Before Biden won his FIRST EVER PRIMARY IN 32 YEARS OF EFFORTS,
2) Bernie Sanders was the Presumptive Nominee.
3) Bernie Sanders had won dozens of primaries
4) and has MILLIONS of voters supporting him
5) something that the Human Gaffe Machine had not accomplished in 32 years of trying spending $10Ms of dollars trying to do.
6) To date Joe Biden has managed to have a TOTAL of ONE  Debate in which he didnt look like a Robo-Corpse. 
7) Biden thinks he is running for the SENATE. 
8 ) 

Biden on...

Folks, I can tell you I've known eight presidents, three of them intimately.
Other than being crazy enough to press a button, there is nothing that Putin can do militarily to fundamentally alter American interests.
Failure at some point in your life is inevitable, but giving up is unforgivable.
ISIS is not an existential threat to something happening to someone in the United States of America. It's a serious problem overseas, but it's confusing and frightening.
My dad used to have an expression - 'It is the lucky person who gets up in the morning, puts both feet on the floor, knows what they are about to do, and thinks it still matters.'
I can die a happy man never having been president of the United States of America. But it doesn't mean I won't run.
You never make fun of anybody with a club foot or a withered arm, but it's open season on anybody who stutters.
If I don't run for president, we'll all be OK.
We don't want two-tier people in America. Those who are legal but not citizens, and citizens.

There's a lot to unpack here. 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

And trump was a presumptive 2 term president. 

If you look at the betting line, he still is...

Archived