Fred Beasley - Ultimate Team Player

StatTiger

Former Auburn running back Fred Beasley was a USA Today All-American coming out of Robert E. Lee High School in Montgomery, Alabama. After arriving at Auburn, he was primarily a backup running back to Stephen Davis. During the start of his junior season, Beasley was the starting running back for three games but was transitioned to fullback under Terry Bowden.

Beasley was the ultimate team-player, willing to do anything for the success of the team. I always thought he should have remained at running back, considering the options Auburn had during 1996 and 1997. He was not an explosive running back, but he was molded similar to former Auburn running back Stacy Danley. He was a very physical runner, who possessed good hands as a receiver.

Though he only had 338 career offensive-touches, he made the most of his opportunities. Fred Beasley produced an amazing 32 impact plays (15+ yards), displaying his ability to make plays. He had a successful NFL career, playing eight seasons in the NFL and was a two-time All-Pro at the fullback position. His style of play would have made him a signifcant contributor under Pat Dye, Tommy Tuberville, Gene Chizik and Gus Malzahn.

His contributions to the Auburn football program, along with his success on the field is undoubtedly worthy of a highlight video.

https://youtu.be/j51inwqBH_M

28 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

He had a successful NFL career, playing eight seasons in the NFL and was a two-time All-Pro at the fullback position.

I was so angry when Bowden moved him to FB, but I'm so happy that it worked out for Fred. 

Great thread. Even though we occasionally give some love to our FBs, they rarely get factor into the RBU discussions. I agree, Fred could have been a big time RB for us under different circumstances.  

Thanks Stat. Great stuff as always. 

Hard to be mad about a position change that leads to 8 years in the league and 2 All-Pro seasons. Yes, he would have more than likely been more successful under other AU coaches, but I think in the end his pro career went about as good or better than could expected. Tremendous overall baller and a team player no doubt. 

Archived