Jashawn Sheffield Suspended Indefinitely

Paladin

Sheffield suspended following off-field incidents

by Jason Caldwell

56 minutes ago

Following a pair of arrests in the last two weeks in Bulloch County, Georgia, Auburn redshirt freshman defensive back Jashawn Sheffield has been suspended indefinitely from the team, an Auburn athletics department spokesman has confirmed to Inside the Auburn Tigers and Auburn247. 

Arrested on May 9 for disorderly conduct and spending two days in jail in Statesboro, Sheffield was arrested a second time a week later on May 16 for DUI-Less safe-alcohol and spent two more days in jail. A bond was set for Sheffield in the amount of $1,576 for the second charge.

Georgia has a “DUI Less Safe” statute, which means that a driver can be convicted of DUI even if the driver's Blood Alcohol Content is less than 0.08 grams. The DUI laws in Georgia criminalize driving under the influence of alcohol, drugs, whether illegal, prescription, or over-the-counter and toxic vapors to the extent that it is less safe for the person to do so. Even if they don’t have a chemical test to back up the claim there could still be a conviction based on circumstantial evidence.

Sheffield saw action in one game last season for the Tigers as a wide receiver, carrying the ball two times for 30 yards in a win over Samford. He was moved to defense for bowl preparations and has been expected to make a run at earning playing time at the cornerback position when the Tigers get back on the field this fall.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was concerned about this kind of thing popping up with all the players away from campus and plenty of time on their hands. Be smart guys!!

Damn beat me to it. Too much free time gets kids in trouble man. Just stupid.

I believe disorderly conduct was the first one and a few days later DUI. Part of me hopes the coaches show some compassion here and consider the two incidents as one. Seen a lot of other players do a lot worse and I think he can be kept if handle appropriately.

You would think spending a couple of days in jail the first time would be enough. 

2nd arrest seems like a grey area as far as laws go.  Sounds completely subjective on the cops opinion.  Wonder if he was blazing it up or something.

How stupid can he be. I really he learns from this.I also hope the other guys will learn from Jashawn's dumb things and they don't follow.

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

Damn beat me to it. Too much free time gets kids in trouble man. Just stupid.

I believe disorderly conduct was the first one and a few days later DUI. Part of me hopes the coaches show some compassion here and consider the two incidents as one. Seen a lot of other players do a lot worse and I think he can be kept if handle appropriately.

If these two incidents happened months apart, he’d be gone. But he’s just been suspended indefinitely. Sometimes this leads to an eventual dismissal. Sometimes it becomes a wake up call.

Fingers crossed he gets his ducks in a row and stays with the team. Sounds like going back to Statesboro might only lead to more trouble. 

Suspend him until June 1st, when they’ll probably come back to campus. (Just kidding haha). Hope he straightens up and gets back to the team. He’s a great athlete that showed flashes in the little playing time he got at WR. I feel like his ceiling on the defensive side could be huge. We need all the bodies we can get at DB. 

41 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

If these two incidents happened months apart, he’d be gone. But he’s just been suspended indefinitely. Sometimes this leads to an eventual dismissal. Sometimes it becomes a wake up call.

I don't think he will get kicked off the team. They probably will have him do a bunch of stuff to earn his way back.

56 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don't think he will get kicked off the team. They probably will have him do a bunch of stuff to earn his way back.

They have done this with several players in the past who have refused to do what’s asked of them and are later let go outright or encouraged to leave.

Run the heck out of him, make him take a substance abuse class, and suspend him for the first game. 

Sidenote: at least Sheffield wasn’t charged with 1st degree attempted murder like the kid who just signed with Oregon. Additional up-downs aren’t going to get him out of that one. 

1 hour ago, WarEagle2423 said:

Suspend him until June 1st, when they’ll probably come back to campus.

If he played across the state that's probably what would happen along with sitting out the first quarter of game one.

Creative discipline. 

5 hours ago, gr82be said:

If he played across the state that's probably what would happen along with sitting out the first quarter of game one.

Creative discipline. 

Unless they got behind and then he would go in immediately 

17 hours ago, AUStew87 said:

Run the heck out of him, make him take a substance abuse class, and suspend him for the first game. 

Sidenote: at least Sheffield wasn’t charged with 1st degree attempted murder like the kid who just signed with Oregon. Additional up-downs aren’t going to get him out of that one. 

Substance abuse classes, esp the ones put on by the athletic dept are a joke. Without know what the disorderly was from, I see nothing the guy did wrong. 

20 hours ago, DAG said:

Given the current environment, I would say it's better than 50/50 we see him in the transfer portal before they open practice back up.  

Unless I'm missing something, this doesn't sound all too different from when Nick Marshall got busted back in Summer '14, perhaps save for what the arresting officer decided to charge him with.

Am I wrong?

1 hour ago, JBiGGiE said:

Unless I'm missing something, this doesn't sound all too different from when Nick Marshall got busted back in Summer '14, perhaps save for what the arresting officer decided to charge him with.

Am I wrong?

Well nick was cited once for possession of a minute amount of weed. This guy was ARRESTED twice in a short period. I’m not trying too convict him too soon but I don’t think nick needed a third chance. It could be two bs interactions  with Barney Fife. 

5 minutes ago, alexava said:

Well nick was cited once for possession of a minute amount of weed. This guy was ARRESTED twice in a short period. I’m not trying too convict him too soon but I don’t think nick needed a third chance. It could be two bs interactions  with Barney Fife. 

Well there should be some bud nipping then. 

On 5/21/2020 at 11:13 AM, AUGunsmith said:

Substance abuse classes, esp the ones put on by the athletic dept are a joke. Without know what the disorderly was from, I see nothing the guy did wrong. 

a kid is not just pulled over, not ticketed... but arrested and spends jail time twice in two weeks - and you see nothing the guy did wrong?  I want to think the best about our players as well - but clearly the kid did something wrong.  we would be mocking any other fanbase if they said something like that about a player of theirs that was arrested twice in two weeks 

Hope he gets things strait.... young kids with too much free time without school, without sports, - lose discipline.  hope they get back on campus soon 

My guess is he's gone from Auburn. Hopefully he'll turn things around and succeed somewhere else. Third chances from Gus haven't been the norm. Second chances a-plenty, but I don't recall any thirds.

Archived