Got Some Great Personal News

Just put up a big number in my weight loss. I've lost 40 lbs in less than 4 months!

The Carlton GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• ellitor changed the title to Got Some Great Personal News

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Just put up a big number in my weight loss. I've lost 40 lbs in less than 4 months!

The Carlton GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

DUDE, nice!!! That's major. Especially in this weird year.

Congrats! 

3 hours ago, Mike4AU said:

E, tell us how you did that.  I’m fairly certain other folks would want to follow your example. 

Walking about 4 miles every day at a pretty high pace. Been eating what I want, just cut back to where I'm satisfied & not to when I'm full.

Walking about 4 miles every day at a pretty high pace. Been eating what I want, just cut back to where I'm satisfied & not to when I'm full.

My chiropractor has been preaching satisfied vs full a long time. And he suggests getting a sandwich like a Subway sandwich with all the vegetables and whatever else you want. Keep it in the fridge or your lunchbox/ cooler if you’re at work. Don’t wait till lunch and eat the whole thing. Every time you think about eating grab a bite or two and put it back. I haven’t tried it but it’s time. I need to shed 25.

16 hours ago, ellitor said:

Becomes addicting. Especially if you are able to find a few good routes around campus. Enough long slopes to get a pretty good workout. I lost around 15 several years ago and have been able to keep it off with daily walks playing a part. Works for me to have a good breakfast every morning and avoid eating out for lunch. Other than Chic-fil-A can not recall my last "fast food". Need to have that fix every now and then.

For me, it was cutting out the sugary soda (knocked back a 20 oz Coke from the vending machine probably once a day on average), grazing on something with protein during the day (go no more than 3 hours without eating, even if it's just some almonds), and cutting out the fast food,  Whataburger in particular.

I also drink a LOT of water.

We have an exercise bike upstairs, so if it's raining, I'll get on that for about a half-hour...turn on an ESPN 30 for 30 short and pedal away. Otherwise, a long walk around the neighborhood.

Exercise helps out, but changing diet is the biggest influence imo.

22 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Becomes addicting. Especially if you are able to find a few good routes around campus. Enough long slopes to get a pretty good workout. I lost around 15 several years ago and have been able to keep it off with daily walks playing a part. Works for me to have a good breakfast every morning and avoid eating out for lunch. Other than Chic-fil-A can not recall my last "fast food". Need to have that fix every now and then.

All I really need to walk is some good tunes & noninclimate weather. I have been walking every day as soon as I get up or shortly thereafter to beat the Sun & to help regulate my blood sugar. I found a study from England that concluded working out before breakfast helps regulate sugar spikes throughout the day for people with diabetes issues.

19 minutes ago, ellitor said:

All I really need to walk is some good tunes & noninclimate weather. I have been walking every day as soon as I get up or shortly thereafter to beat the Sun & to help regulate my blood sugar. I found a study from England that concluded working out before breakfast helps regulate sugar spikes throughout the day for people with diabetes issues.

For years I started my day by going for a 1 mile walk with my dog. It's really not much, it only takes 15-30 mins, and it absolutely changes the tone of your day. 

I need to start doing it again with the 1 yr old in the stroller. As for real workouts, just gotta find the time again. 

22 hours ago, SLAG-91 said:

For me, it was cutting out the sugary soda (knocked back a 20 oz Coke from the vending machine probably once a day on average), grazing on something with protein during the day (go no more than 3 hours without eating, even if it's just some almonds), and cutting out the fast food,  Whataburger in particular.

I also drink a LOT of water.

We have an exercise bike upstairs, so if it's raining, I'll get on that for about a half-hour...turn on an ESPN 30 for 30 short and pedal away. Otherwise, a long walk around the neighborhood.

Exercise helps out, but changing diet is the biggest influence imo.

I always think about Italy. Those folks eat extremely well and don't seem to "work out" much, but are generally in pretty good shape. As far as I can tell, it's because they don't eat much junk/fast food, they don't binge drink, and they walk a lot. Tends to be true of other places I've been where folks are generally healthier, to include major American metros. Was true for me for a time. 

19 hours ago, alexava said:

Already attempted and failed. 

@SaltyTiger I drank Coors light for 25years. My wife urged me to drink Ultra because of carbs. I liked it so I went maybe a year and a half with nothing to show. It’s about 5-6$ a 12 pack more expensive. So I went back and found that I didn’t like the taste Coors light anymore. I’m on Bud Lite now. Upon some quick research one of my hunting buddies showed their was hardly any difference between Ultra and other light beers as far as calories. 

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

@SaltyTiger I drank Coors light for 25years. My wife urged me to drink Ultra because of carbs. I liked it so I went maybe a year and a half with nothing to show. It’s about 5-6$ a 12 pack more expensive. So I went back and found that I didn’t like the taste Coors light anymore. I’m on Bud Lite now. Upon some quick research one of my hunting buddies showed their was hardly any difference between Ultra and other light beers as far as calories. 

You simply cannot drink any beer in quantity and expect to lose weight unless you're a distance runner or something. Lite, ultra, whatever... *exaggerated wanking motion*

I have a friend who quit drinking beer but stayed on brown liquor and quickly lost like 15 lbs without changing anything else. 

28 minutes ago, alexava said:

They do seem to think a lot of it per 12 pack but I buy the case and get a little break. Always drank Bud Lite but changed over a few years ago initially for the carbs. I really do not drink enough of it anymore to be a weight or carb factor. Never have graduated to liquor other than single malt scotch every now and then.  

Have read a few things about pre breakfast workouts and blood sugar benefits. I split time between Auburn and the coast. With you on walking in Auburn this time of year. Prefer afternoon on the coast because the sea breeze always kicks in. When not on the coast miss the breeze about more than anything else. Can not find a fan to replicate it. Big Ass Fans that athletics used to spec may come close. 

59 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You simply cannot drink any beer in quantity and expect to lose weight unless you're a distance runner or something. Lite, ultra, whatever... *exaggerated wanking motion*

I have a friend who quit drinking beer but stayed on brown liquor and quickly lost like 15 lbs without changing anything else. 

I usually drink 6-12 a week. Occasionally more. I quit hard stuff a few years ago. I never did much anyway but loved Crown Royal 

11 minutes ago, alexava said:

I usually drink 6-12 a week. Occasionally more. I quit hard stuff a few years ago. I never did much anyway but loved Crown Royal 

I've been leaning more on liquor as I just can't fit as much beer in my belly as I used to. One or two will fill me right up. And after a meal, forget it. In fact, if I eat a really big meal I'll sometimes sip a shot of something 80 proof or higher afterward for legitimately medicinal purposes. Another thing I feel like the Europeans got right- the digestif. #science

But right when I get home from work, or after yard work, or with some meals, etc... only a beer will do. 

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

With you on walking in Auburn this time of year.

I'm in Prattville. Have been since baseball ended in March. Going back to AU in a few weeks. As of now my jobs start back on July 31st & August 8th.

• 2 weeks later...

Once I got away from Auburn, I pretty much quit beer. Now the only time I have a beer is with spicey-hot Mexican or Asian food, and one is all I want. During my early professional career, I preferred blended whiskey and scotch. But I liked it TOO much. Had to quit that. Now all I do is a glass or two of very good wine around dinner time. Never touch alcohol (or any other mind altering substance) any other time or place. Don't really miss it.

Wifey and I started putting on some weight as we became more home-bound during the pandemic. So we came up with a fun way to deal with pandemic-itis. Once per week (usually a Thursday), we drive to one of the many state parks within easy driving distance, take a picnic lunch (usually chicken salad, cut up carrots, celery, radishes, black olives, etc, eat just enough to take the edge off, and hike a trail. We take along a camera and binoculars. Since we go during the week, there usually are not many people around so we don't need masks. Although this is just a once-per-week adventure, it has also given us more incentive to get out and walk in our neighborhood so we can work up to more challenging trails.

On 7/9/2020 at 2:56 PM, alexava said:

Already attempted and failed. 

The problem is that you need to drink 30 of them to catch any sort of buzz. 

1 minute ago, AUDub said:

The problem is that you need to drink 30 of them to catch any sort of buzz. 

Naw.I am not trying to get hammered anyway.  I’m a social drinker anyway..

Hit a benchmark in my weight loss. I'm below 230 pounds for the 1st time in 9 years!

11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Hit a benchmark in my weight loss. I'm below 230 pounds for the 1st time in 9 years!

Dude! Congrats!!

Man, with your walking in this weather I know you're not carrying around any extra water weight, lol. 

On 7/18/2020 at 7:14 PM, AURex said:

Once I got away from Auburn, I pretty much quit beer. Now the only time I have a beer is with spicey-hot Mexican or Asian food, and one is all I want. During my early professional career, I preferred blended whiskey and scotch. But I liked it TOO much. Had to quit that. Now all I do is a glass or two of very good wine around dinner time. Never touch alcohol (or any other mind altering substance) any other time or place. Don't really miss it.

Wifey and I started putting on some weight as we became more home-bound during the pandemic. So we came up with a fun way to deal with pandemic-itis. Once per week (usually a Thursday), we drive to one of the many state parks within easy driving distance, take a picnic lunch (usually chicken salad, cut up carrots, celery, radishes, black olives, etc, eat just enough to take the edge off, and hike a trail. We take along a camera and binoculars. Since we go during the week, there usually are not many people around so we don't need masks. Although this is just a once-per-week adventure, it has also given us more incentive to get out and walk in our neighborhood so we can work up to more challenging trails.

Nice that you can still drink a little with dinner but stay away from it the rest of the time. That's what I aspire to. I don't want to drink as regularly as I do, but I also don't want to live a life without exactly what you described- a good lager or IPA with spicy food or a good glass of wine with other foods. I mean, great food just isn't meant to be eaten without something to compliment it. 

We don't "binge drink" anymore but we've been doing a couple drinks a night and a little more on the weekends for a long time. Especially this year. We're starting to cut back though and already feel better. Now I just need to start exercising again. 

Archived