Trump: Americans who died in war are 'losers' and 'suckers'

AUDub

The Atlantic magazine article that came out on Thursday seems entirely in character for Trump:

Trump rejected the idea of the visit [to a World War I cemetery in France in 2018] because he feared his hair would become disheveled in the rain, and because he did not believe it important to honor American war dead, according to four people with firsthand knowledge of the discussion that day. In a conversation with senior staff members on the morning of the scheduled visit, Trump said, “Why should I go to that cemetery? It’s filled with losers.” In a separate conversation on the same trip, Trump referred to the more than 1,800 marines who lost their lives at Belleau Wood as “suckers” for getting killed.

When McCain died, Trump reiterated his contempt for POWs when he declared “according to three sources with direct knowledge of this event, ‘We’re not going to support that loser’s funeral,’” and he became furious, according to witnesses, when he saw flags lowered to half-staff. ‘What the f--- are we doing that for? Guy was a f---ing loser.’ ”

When preparing for a military parade, the magazine reports, “Trump asked his staff not to include wounded veterans, on grounds that spectators would feel uncomfortable in the presence of amputees. ‘Nobody wants to see that,’ he said.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/09/04/trump-shows-gaffe-machine-dig-was-sheer-projection/?hpid=hp_save-opinions-float-right-4-0_opinion-card-f-right%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

You are correct as I don't believe it unless I see proof.  Sarah Huckabee Sanders says she was there and this is total BS.  

Well, you know damn well what he said about McCain happened.

So obviously - if you are willing to overlook that - it's no surprise you would deny or overlook this.

7 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Well, you know damn well what he said about McCain happened.

So obviously - if you are willing to overlook that - it's no surprise you would deny or overlook this.

I don't like many of the things Trump says and what he said about McCain is one of them for sure.  I don't overlook it either.  Trump hits back at those who hit him first.  I don't like it many times, but I know that is who he is and has always been.  I don't believe he said this at all and I do believe SHS. I believe she just wouldn't say anything at all if he had said it.  I don't think she would lie about it though. 

I actually wish both sides had better candidates.  

3 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

I don't like many of the things Trump says and what he said about McCain is one of them for sure.  I don't overlook it either.  Trump hits back at those who hit him first.  I don't like it many times, but I know that is who he is and has always been.  I don't believe he said this at all and I do believe SHS. I believe she just wouldn't say anything at all if he had said it.  I don't think she would lie about it though. 

I actually wish both sides had better candidates.  

Sure you do.  You believe a confirmed liar in order to maintain your denial about Trump and justify your support of him.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/06/sarah-sanders-leaving-white-house

And your "I don't like it many times" schtick is pathetic. You voted for a immature, narcissistic, psychopathic, con man and you plan to do it again.  You need to own that and you need to own Trump.

The U.S. military builds a bulwark against Trump

September 3, 2020

God bless our troops.

Sometimes that’s a throwaway line that politicians put at the end of their speeches.

But at this moment, particularly, I’m bursting with admiration for our military. At a time when a sitting president is trying his best to discredit the results of an election he stands to lose and is attempting to dissolve every last bond that holds us together as a people, the troops are saying: No.

This week Military Times came out with a poll of active-duty military finding that 50 percent of them have an unfavorable view of the president (42 percent strongly disapprove) and only 38 percent have a favorable view. They support Joe Biden over President Trump by four percentage points — an extraordinary edge for a Democrat. In a 2016 poll using the same methodology, Trump led Hillary Clinton by nearly 2 to 1. Sixty percent of veterans voted for Trump in the election.

But the military’s rejection of Trump goes much deeper. In another section of the poll just published, those serving on active duty in the military:

• Support renaming military bases — their military bases — now named for Confederate generals.
  • Believe, overwhelmingly, in the banning of the Confederate flag and similar symbols from military bases.
  • Do not see immigration, civil disobedience and the protest movement as major dangers to U.S. security, as Trump does. They rank those threats well below cyberterrorism, the Islamic State, al-Qaeda — and white nationalism.

If the worst happens, and Trump loses the election but tries to keep power by force, it’s clear that the U.S. military will not help him.

The poll of 1,018, conducted with Syracuse University, is somewhat limited because respondents, from Military Times’s readership, skew older and tend to be career-military types. But they were more than twice as likely to identify themselves as Republicans than Democrats — reflective of the military’s traditional conservatism.

Still, more than 59 percent of officers said they have a dim view of the president, with more than half saying they strongly disapprove. Among enlisted respondents, 47 percent said they have an unfavorable view, and under 39 percent have a favorable view.

Officers tended to be more disapproving of Trump, and more opposed to Confederate symbolism, than enlisted personnel. But the opinions were fairly uniform. Among the near-majority who favored renaming Confederate-named bases (49.2 percent to 36.8 percent, with 14 percent expressing no opinion), pluralities of all groups — women, men, White, non-White, officer, enlisted — favored renaming. Same among the 69.3 percent (to 22.2 percent) who favor the ban on Confederate flags.

The troops also have a realistic view of threats to U.S. security. China (86.5 percent think it a significant threat) and Iran (57.7) topped the list of most dangerous countries, followed by North Korea and Saudi Arabia. As for other threats, 85.9 percent thought cyberterrorism significant, followed by the Islamic State, al-Qaeda and other foreign Islamist terrorists (48.1 percent), white nationalists (47.6 percent), domestic terrorists with no connection to Islam (47.3 percent) and Islam-connected domestic terrorists (45.8). Lower down were racial unrest (42), the protest movements (33.1), civil disobedience (25.9) and immigration (21.4).

What has brought us to this place?

Maybe it’s his protection of accused or convicted war criminals from military justice. Maybe it’s his abandonment of allies in Syria (sorry, Kurds) and Germany or his friendships with Vladimir Putin (what Russian bounties on U.S. troops?), Kim Jong Un or Mohammed bin Salman. Maybe it’s his disparagement of John McCain and Gold Star families. Maybe it’s his use of the military for parades and spectacles the way dictators do. Maybe it’s his siphoning of military funds for pet projects such as the border wall. Maybe it’s his attempt to extend racial conflict to military bases through his support of Confederate icons.

Veteran Jon Soltz, who runs the left-leaning group VoteVets, says Trump “completely misread” racial views in the military, which is multicultural and not tied to base names assigned during Jim Crow. “The thing he misses is the blue uniform our military wears today is the same as the Union army,” he said.

Jim Mattis, the revered retired general and former Trump defense secretary, issued blistering criticism when the president used the military against racial-justice demonstrators. Likewise, former Joint Chiefs chairman and George W. Bush’s secretary of state Colin Powell endorsed Biden because he wouldn’t succumb to “the flattery of dictators and despots.” And retired admiral William McRaven, who oversaw the operation that killed Osama bin Laden, said Trump “humiliated us on the world stage."

The troops are listening to these old soldiers, and witnessing the calamity of Trump’s leadership. I salute them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/09/03/us-military-builds-bulwark-against-trump/?hpid=hp_save-opinions-float-right-4-0_opinion-card-b-right%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans

39 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Sure you do.  You believe a confirmed liar in order to maintain your denial about Trump and justify your support of him.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/06/sarah-sanders-leaving-white-house

And your "I don't like it many times" schtick is pathetic. You voted for a immature, narcissistic, psychopathic, con man and you plan to do it again.  You need to own that and you need to own Trump.

I absolutely do own my vote for Trump over Hillary and Biden.  You got it big fella!!!!

35 minutes ago, homersapien said:

The U.S. military builds a bulwark against Trump

September 3, 2020

God bless our troops.

Sometimes that’s a throwaway line that politicians put at the end of their speeches.

But at this moment, particularly, I’m bursting with admiration for our military. At a time when a sitting president is trying his best to discredit the results of an election he stands to lose and is attempting to dissolve every last bond that holds us together as a people, the troops are saying: No.

This week Military Times came out with a poll of active-duty military finding that 50 percent of them have an unfavorable view of the president (42 percent strongly disapprove) and only 38 percent have a favorable view. They support Joe Biden over President Trump by four percentage points — an extraordinary edge for a Democrat. In a 2016 poll using the same methodology, Trump led Hillary Clinton by nearly 2 to 1. Sixty percent of veterans voted for Trump in the election.

But the military’s rejection of Trump goes much deeper. In another section of the poll just published, those serving on active duty in the military:

• Support renaming military bases — their military bases — now named for Confederate generals.
  • Believe, overwhelmingly, in the banning of the Confederate flag and similar symbols from military bases.
  • Do not see immigration, civil disobedience and the protest movement as major dangers to U.S. security, as Trump does. They rank those threats well below cyberterrorism, the Islamic State, al-Qaeda — and white nationalism.

If the worst happens, and Trump loses the election but tries to keep power by force, it’s clear that the U.S. military will not help him.

The poll of 1,018, conducted with Syracuse University, is somewhat limited because respondents, from Military Times’s readership, skew older and tend to be career-military types. But they were more than twice as likely to identify themselves as Republicans than Democrats — reflective of the military’s traditional conservatism.

Still, more than 59 percent of officers said they have a dim view of the president, with more than half saying they strongly disapprove. Among enlisted respondents, 47 percent said they have an unfavorable view, and under 39 percent have a favorable view.

Officers tended to be more disapproving of Trump, and more opposed to Confederate symbolism, than enlisted personnel. But the opinions were fairly uniform. Among the near-majority who favored renaming Confederate-named bases (49.2 percent to 36.8 percent, with 14 percent expressing no opinion), pluralities of all groups — women, men, White, non-White, officer, enlisted — favored renaming. Same among the 69.3 percent (to 22.2 percent) who favor the ban on Confederate flags.

The troops also have a realistic view of threats to U.S. security. China (86.5 percent think it a significant threat) and Iran (57.7) topped the list of most dangerous countries, followed by North Korea and Saudi Arabia. As for other threats, 85.9 percent thought cyberterrorism significant, followed by the Islamic State, al-Qaeda and other foreign Islamist terrorists (48.1 percent), white nationalists (47.6 percent), domestic terrorists with no connection to Islam (47.3 percent) and Islam-connected domestic terrorists (45.8). Lower down were racial unrest (42), the protest movements (33.1), civil disobedience (25.9) and immigration (21.4).

What has brought us to this place?

Maybe it’s his protection of accused or convicted war criminals from military justice. Maybe it’s his abandonment of allies in Syria (sorry, Kurds) and Germany or his friendships with Vladimir Putin (what Russian bounties on U.S. troops?), Kim Jong Un or Mohammed bin Salman. Maybe it’s his disparagement of John McCain and Gold Star families. Maybe it’s his use of the military for parades and spectacles the way dictators do. Maybe it’s his siphoning of military funds for pet projects such as the border wall. Maybe it’s his attempt to extend racial conflict to military bases through his support of Confederate icons.

Veteran Jon Soltz, who runs the left-leaning group VoteVets, says Trump “completely misread” racial views in the military, which is multicultural and not tied to base names assigned during Jim Crow. “The thing he misses is the blue uniform our military wears today is the same as the Union army,” he said.

Jim Mattis, the revered retired general and former Trump defense secretary, issued blistering criticism when the president used the military against racial-justice demonstrators. Likewise, former Joint Chiefs chairman and George W. Bush’s secretary of state Colin Powell endorsed Biden because he wouldn’t succumb to “the flattery of dictators and despots.” And retired admiral William McRaven, who oversaw the operation that killed Osama bin Laden, said Trump “humiliated us on the world stage."

The troops are listening to these old soldiers, and witnessing the calamity of Trump’s leadership. I salute them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/09/03/us-military-builds-bulwark-against-trump/?hpid=hp_save-opinions-float-right-4-0_opinion-card-b-right%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans

I don't believe the military vote will go in favor of Biden either.  This will be interesting to follow come election time.  

crickets...................

5 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Fox News and their Liberal agenda. Smdh. 

Of course, Gutfield and Geraldo are on there still denying it as we speak lol.

Handy reminder that FOX's "news" side generally isn't awful. Unfortunately all we see are the silly editorial shows. 

1 minute ago, AUDub said:

Of course, Gutfield and Geraldo are on there still denying it as we speak lol.

Handy reminder to remember that Fox's "News" side generally isn't awful. Unfortunately all we see are the silly editorial shows. 

Hannity will probably be apoplectic tonight.  Might set the DVR for that one.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Hannity will probably be apoplectic tonight.  Might set the DVR for that one.

I'll bet you a dollar he goes for insufferable smarm rather than rage. 

I always come back to Trump's own quote that he could murder a guy on 5th Avenue and not lose voters.  It's amazing how true that statement has proved to be.  He can literally say or do anything, including insulting and denigrating veterans and POWs, and it doesn't make a dent for people.  They either brush it off as fake news or ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and say "still voting for him MAGA by damn!"

Trump tore into John Kelly today during his presser. OK but why tho. 

We now have 10 people in the room at decision time, including John Bolton no friend of Trump, saying this did not happen. 

Admit you are gullible, a clown puppet and move along. ;D

14 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

We now have 10 people in the room at decision time, including John Bolton no friend of Trump, saying this did not happen. 

Titan addressed this with his NYMag post.

12 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

The Atlantic? Yeah, I'll die on that hill. :gofig:

And the Washington Post. 

And the AP.

And FOX News.

Die on those hills too. 

11 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

But Twitter...........

Can't make this s*** up.

@TitanTiger can we banish this idiot to the smack forum? Dude brings literally nothing to the table.

1 hour ago, AUFAN78 said:

Offer something of value to the discussion or go play somewhere else.  We don't have time for your lazy immaturity, 78.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-biden-military-atlantic/2020/09/04/c12c0fe6-eebe-11ea-99a1-71343d03bc29_story.html?hpid=hp_no-name_campaignmilitary-831pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans

"The White House mobilized rapidly in hopes of preventing the debate from becoming “a major election issue,” one senior official said. More than 10 current and former senior aides — including national security adviser Robert O’Brien and senior adviser Jared Kushner, the president’s son-in-law — vehemently denied the Atlantic’s account of the president’s trip to France in 2018."

Trumps team of liars.:-\  And as unlikely as there were 14 people who were privy to his statements, I am surprised there aren't more than 10 willing to lie for him.

The media sources supporting a highly respected journalist trumps such a Trump posse.

I won't be overly surprised if some of the unnamed sources from Goldberg's piece change their minds and go public when they decide their loyalty to the country is more important than their policy of not speaking out publicly about a sitting president.

And if this is all his posse has to offer, it's not exactly a refutation that he said what was reported:

"But Trump’s aides offered personal testimonies of the president’s concern for the well-being of troops during tactical military operations and his personal attention to wounded veterans during trips to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center and Dover Air Force Base."

This is funny to watch because Pete is obviously so much smarter than the guy trying to interview him and absolutely refuses to let him steer the conversation. 

Archived